Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:03:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286816 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Stay away from IE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stay away from IE  (Read 14616 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2004, 09:55:06 AM »

How do you tell what version of IE you have??
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2004, 11:00:52 AM »

You should be able to go to the toolbar click "Help ---> About Internet Explorer".

I could also tell if you tell me A) What version of windows you are using and when was the last time you upgraded IE?

Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2004, 07:57:14 PM »

I had no problem, with your example. Though I had to type my password in, it remembered my user name.

That's not really my problem - I usually type in my usernames and passwords anyway, so they aren't on record on my computer.

The problem is that forms and log in boxes simply don't work.

I have tried all kinds of "cookie settings" with no results.

However, when trying to fill our a search form tonight at

http://www.nlnac.org/Forms/directory_search.htm

I get the following message with Firefox after hitting the "search" button:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e21'
ODBC driver does not support the requested properties.
/Forms/directorySearch.asp, line 82"

When doing the same thing with Firebird 0.7 I have no problem and the search goes through.

I also get odd code showing up in Firefox on other sites that CU, including Yahoo. Every CU page has " 616) { moveToAbsolute((innerWidth-616)/2,layer1.pageY)};">" at the top.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 08:00:30 PM by Rhys » Logged

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2004, 10:09:18 PM »

I'm not positive of what your problem is but it's your system.  The search works just fine for me and again I have no issues with CU or any other site and those types of errors.

It's on your end not firefoxes.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2004, 10:35:40 PM »

HELP!

Since we've got a few users of Firefox here, maybe someone call tell me if there is a spell check program that works with it. I used IE Spell for the IE based browsers, but I'm sure that it won't work. I installed Free Spell last night, and it erased my message everytime I tried to use it. It did do the spell check and make corrections, but the messages disappeared.   Cheesy

I'm brand new to Firefox, and I really like it, but I really need a spell check program.   Cheesy  It doesn't have to be free, just as long as it works. Thanks in advance for any help.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2004, 10:50:32 PM »

I'm not positive of what your problem is but it's your system.  The search works just fine for me and again I have no issues with CU or any other site and those types of errors.

It's on your end not firefoxes.

According to the Mozilla website, I'm not the only one having this problem. I did find tonight that Firefox doesn't seem to be handling Java (or maybe html) correctly - I suspect this is the problem with the login boxes and forms.

I saved the Yahoo login page to a file and ran it up in both Firefox 1.0 and Firebird 0.7 with "view source". Firefox hashes the last line: "<script language='javascript'></script>postamble();</scrit>" whereas Firebird shows it as it actually is (confirmed with a text editor): "<script language='javascript'>postamble();</script>"

The rest of the page looks identical in each browser in a quick scroll through, just the last line is different, but somehow Firefox isn't handling things correctly. I used the same file for both browsers and it actually reads as Firebird displays it.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2004, 11:07:14 PM »

HELP!

Since we've got a few users of Firefox here, maybe someone call tell me if there is a spell check program that works with it. I used IE Spell for the IE based browsers, but I'm sure that it won't work. I installed Free Spell last night, and it erased my message everytime I tried to use it. It did do the spell check and make corrections, but the messages disappeared.   Cheesy

I'm brand new to Firefox, and I really like it, but I really need a spell check program.   Cheesy  It doesn't have to be free, just as long as it works. Thanks in advance for any help.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Don't know I never use a spell check for browsers.  If anything I just open up my mail program and do a copy paste into a "new" email and speel check it.  I'm not usually worried about the speeling that much.  Have you looked through all the extentions for firefox?

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2004, 11:34:09 PM »

I believe this is what you are looking for BEP.

It's called spellbound.

You should be able to click that link and then look down the page for a button that says "Install SpellBound".  The default configs should work (they worked for me).

Firefox may give you a message that it stop a program from loading on your computer.  In that case click the button at the top of the page (same line as the message) and allow the url of the page and it will install for you.

You should also know that you can configure you tool bar by right clicking the "menu bar" and going to "customize".  Then you can drag the icons onto the the tool bar or nav bar where ever you like.  I personally add the "tab" button, print button and now spell check button.

Let me know if you need anymore help.   Cheesy

I'm glad you asked for that because I will use it all the time now.  yippee!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2004, 11:50:30 PM »

HELP!

Love In Christ,
Tom
I use dictionary. com in an extra tabbed window. Click on the "G" where the Google search is, click on dictionary. com type in the word you are thinking of. I C&P the word, least thats how I do it. Cheesy

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2004, 12:15:47 AM »

HELP!

Love In Christ,
Tom
I use dictionary. com in an extra tabbed window. Click on the "G" where the Google search is, click on dictionary. com type in the word you are thinking of. I C&P the word, least thats how I do it. Cheesy

I'd have to say that using spellbound is easier and faster though now that I have tried it.  No extra tabs or copy and pasting.  Besides it checks your whole post in one shot.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2004, 03:26:02 AM »

Saved_4ever,

Thanks again brother. I just added the new icons to my menu bar. This is getting easier and easier by the minute. I also installed Spellbound, and it works like a charm. Now I just need to have Firefox type for me.   Cheesy

Spellbound is much better than any checker I've had before, and it's tiny in comparison to the others. It also has an easy "add word to dictionary" function for Bible terms, old English, and Bible names that aren't usually found in regular dictionaries. COOL!

DreamWeaver, you must go to the Firefox extensions page to see all of the neat stuff you can add to Firefox. The best thing about them is small size, extremely fast, and I think it is all based on PHP.

Love In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 03:28:59 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2004, 03:26:19 AM »

HELP!

Love In Christ,
Tom

I'd have to say that using spellbound is easier and faster though now that I have tried it.  No extra tabs or copy and pasting.  Besides it checks your whole post in one shot.
I am impressed, I like it. Click right and click on "spell checking." I will be using this from now on.

Brother Tom, its worth downloading.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2004, 01:28:40 PM »

Bumping outta oblivion

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2004, 12:00:13 AM »

Brothers and Sisters Using Firefox,

BB Code is another really neat extension for Firefox. It makes it easy and fast to use code that the Christians Unite forum software recognizes. It's a simple right click context menu for bold, italic, color, font size, and more. It works great, and you can apply what you want while you are typing. I highly recommend it for Firefox users.

The Spellbound spell checker is a must have also.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2004, 12:23:39 AM »

Brothers and Sisters Using Firefox,

BB Code is another really neat extension for Firefox. It makes it easy and fast to use code that the Christians Unite forum software recognizes. It's a simple right click context menu for bold, italic, color, font size, and more. It works great, and you can apply what you want while you are typing. I highly recommend it for Firefox users.

The Spellbound spell checker is a must have also.

Love In Christ,
Tom
I never though about telling y'all about the BB Code.   Oops
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 12:25:44 AM by DreamWeaver » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the