Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Navigation 101—Know Where You Are
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Navigation 101—Know Where You Are  (Read 1188 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:34 AM »

Navigation 101—Know Where You Are

Many years ago there was a Navy flight crew that had launched on a very important mission.   Right after takeoff the inertial navigation system experienced a seemingly catastrophic failure.  It looked like all was lost until the gnarly old Master Chief Flight Engineer went back to the Navigator's station to investigate.  After a couple of minutes he made the following comment to the Navigator:  “You know these inertial navigation systems are really smart.  But you have to tell them where they are before you tell them where to go!”  You see the Navigator had aligned the system using the destination coordinates instead of the coordinates for their point of origin.  We too as believers must know where we are before we can know how and where to go.

“I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.  He will come in and go out, and find pasture.”  (John 10:9 NIV)

Anytime I see the word "I AM" associated with the words of  God the Father or God the Son it thrills my heart.  For it reminds me of how the blessed Creator identified himself to Moses from the midst of the burning bush.

“God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you.’”

(Exodus 3:14 NIV)

Everyone enters into this wonderful salvation by the same way.  Jesus is the gate.   We all must enter in to His salvation by this gate which is Himself.  There is no other way.  In fact we discover, by reading the beginning of John Chapter 10, that to enter in by any other way would make us thieves and robbers.
So What!

When I was a young man I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to be a Sea Explorer.  I was a member of Sea Explorer Ship 225, San Pedro, California.  The organization was led by a Navy Warrant Officer named T.N. “Whitey” Chalman, Jr. and his wife.   It was their custom, before we closed any meeting, to gently admonish us to remember who we were and to whom we  belonged.

Before we can enter into the battles of the day we must first recognize who we are and to whom we belong!  Our salvation is in Jesus Christ.  Get it?  Our salvation is a person and He is the Lord Jesus Christ.  Our salvation is not an it.   It is not some mere thing that we can misplace or lose.  We entered into this salvation through the gate provided by this selfsame Jesus.  On this we can depend.   On this we must depend because Jesus is the “gate.” There is no other way.

Said another way:  How can we journey forth into a new day with a new destination until we first know where we are?  How can we know where we are until we know where we have been and how we got there?  We came via a life of sin to the gate of salvation which is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:38:26 AM »

Navigation 102—Know Where You Are Going

A long, long time ago in a far away galaxy there was a Navy flight crew that was heading home after a long deployment to Naval Air Station Home Port from a certain island on the Pacific rim.   They used the very in-vogue computer generated flight plan that was the state of the art for the day, to determine their route of flight and fuel requirements.  The weather along their route was notorious for the ability to change without warning.  I guess the forces of nature have never been really big on following what the forecaster predicts.  Instead we usually find that the weather does pretty much what it pleases.  In this case nature delivered a very healthy thunderstorm about the size of Australia.  Consequently the flight crew, suffering from an extreme case of get-home-itis, attempted to climb the aircraft to the maximum attainable altitude in an effort  to get over the weather rather than make a pit stop.  To accomplish this amazing feat of aviation they turned off the engine and propeller anti-ice systems to squeeze out the last available Bernoulli (pound of thrust).  About twenty minutes later the grand silence befell them as three of the four engines flamed out (quit running).  After losing twenty thousand feet of altitude they were able to stir the languishing horses back to life and finished their journey to Home Port after making an unplanned fuel stop at the island home of the famous Albatross (Gooney Bird).

“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me’”  (John 14:6 NIV).

It is quite easy for me to look at the aforementioned horror story and equate it to my spiritual life.  When I first met Jesus Christ as my Savior I was filled with the same kind of exuberance to be on the journey.  I wanted to get on down the road at the best possible speed.  Yes, I to ran into unexpected heavy weather and nearly crashed and burned. Why?  Because I was ignorant of the precepts of spiritual travel and navigation.  I had the brazen audacity to think that I could plan my spiritual life as if it were just another mission.

As you can see in Isaiah 35, the flight plan has already been filed and the right amount of fuel is onboard.  We are destined to travel on the “Way of Holiness.”

“And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.   The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about on it.  No lion will be there, nor will any ferocious beast get up on it; they will not be found there.  But only the redeemed will walk there…” (Isaiah 35:8-9 NIV).

But where can I find this Way?  You already have!  Perhaps it would be better said if the question were phrased:  Who is this Way?  We see by reading the Key Verse from John that Jesus is the Way.  Jesus is the Highway of Holiness.  He is also the on-ramp (gate).  We enter the Way at the Gate which is Calvary—the Gate where the vilest of sinner may enter into Him who is the Way.

There are many other paths in this world available for us to trod.   However, we are not to stray down these by-paths but are to stay on the “ancient paths.”

“Yet my people have forgotten me; they burn incense to worthless idols, which made them stumble in their ways and in the ancient paths.  They made them walk in bypaths and on roads not built up”  (Jeremiah 18:15 NIV).
So What!

As we continue on our journey we will find that we already know the Way because He is our blessed Savior, Jesus Christ.  We are not lost because the Way of Holiness is always before us and He is Truth.  We need not hurry because the Way is already with us and He is life.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the