Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286817 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Animals and Pets (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Meet Samson, Britain's biggest dog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meet Samson, Britain's biggest dog  (Read 7862 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:04:06 AM »

Meet Samson, Britain's biggest dog

Standing 6ft 5in on its hind legs and tipping the scales at 19st 10lb ( 276LB ), Samson is a giant in every sense of the word.

As Britain's biggest dog with a fearsome set of jaws to match, even the slightest growl is enough to make the bravest of postmen think twice before heading up the garden path.

He boasts a 59in chest and a 29in neck, meaning he has to wear pony coats when it rains and has had to have an extra large collar fitted. The dog's paws are almost the size of dinner plates.

While Samson's awesome build is impressive enough for a fully grown dog, this huge hound is only three years old and will grow even more.

Julie Woods, 54 and her husband Ray, 65, whose last dog was a small terrier, spend £60 a month on dried food and turkey legs for Samson and take him on four two-mile walks a day.

Mrs Woods, from Boston, Lincs, said: "He's a lovely dog whose bark is definitely worse than his bite. People are often intimidated when they first see him because he's about the size of a small horse and very quick.

"But he is so gentle and wouldn't harm a fly. He loves being patted and is very affectionate.

"When he jumps up on the garden gate, it's enough to frighten the life out of anyone."

She added: "To protect him from the rain we bought him a coat meant for ponies. Such a large dog getting soaking wet wouldn't smell very nice.

"He has also gone through two collars, they have to be specially made. His current one is becoming a bit tight so we'll have to buy yet another one.

"At the moment he is only three years old and we expect him to carry on growing over the next year or so. If he gets any bigger, we might have to move to a larger house."

Mrs Woods, who is unable to work after a stroke, and her husband bought Samson from an RSPCA centre when he was six months old. He was already well over 5ft on his hind legs and weighed 16st 2lb  ( 226lb ).

Mrs Woods said: "He came bounding over and pinned us both to the wall, even though he was little more than a baby. But we were smitten straight away.

"The other puppies were big but none of them came close to Samson. The staff at the RSPCA centre said they'd never seen such a large dog. He had been re-homed elsewhere before us but the owners were unable to look after him properly.They took him back when he tore their house apart one day while they were both at work.

"We've not had too many problems with him. He can be quite excitable at times but that's down to his age.

"The only problem is that he snores quite loudly - sometimes I swear I feel the house start to shake."

Samson is just over 2st lighter than the world's heaviest dog, a 22st ( 308LB ) English Mastiff called Hercules, from Massachusetts.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:07:27 AM »

That sounds like an excellent lap dog.   Grin Grin Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »

Wow.... now that dog is all DAWG!!!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 08:15:01 AM »

Maybe even a double dawg.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the