Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:58:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286827 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Family Devotionals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Family Devotionals  (Read 73556 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2006, 11:04:04 AM »

December 14

John 20:1-10. Peter and John visit the tomb.

Mary Magdalene did not come alone to the sepulcher. We find from the Gospel of Mark that she was accompanied by two other women, Mary and Salome. But when she perceived that the stone was rolled away from the sepulcher, she acted in a different manner from her companions. Instead of approaching to examine the tomb, she immediately concluded that the precious body had been stolen, and ran back to Jerusalem for assistance. Christians, though they resemble each other in attachment to the same Lord, have different ways of showing that attachment. Some, like Mary Magdalene, are ready to give up all for lost in the first moment of alarm; while others, like Salome and the other Mary, continue to hope even against hope.

To whom did this sorrowful woman apply for aid? To those beloved apostles, Peter and John. We often find those two apostles near each other. It seems that a close friendship subsisted between them. Peter's shameful denial had not broken the bond. John had not said to Peter, "I can no more own you as a brother." He himself was not without sin—he had forsaken his Lord, though he had not denied him.

Mary Magdalene gave a very alarming account of what she had seen in Joseph's garden—she even asserted, "They have taken away the Lord." Peter and John set off with the utmost speed towards the tomb. John was the swifter. It is generally supposed that he was the younger. But Peter was the bolder; for when he arrived at the tomb he entered, whereas John at first only looked in, though he also entered afterwards.

And what did they see in the tomb? The linen clothes. This sight convinced John that his Lord's body had not been stolen; but that his Lord himself was risen. If enemies had taken away the  body, would they have left the clothes? And if they had been suddenly surprised, and dropped the clothes in their haste to escape, would those clothes have been neatly arranged?—and the napkin which had been round the sacred head, would it have been folded in a place by itself? No, it was evident that he who had reposed in the tomb, no longer wore the attire of death. We are not told in this place what effect the sight of the clothes had upon Peter; but from another passage it appears that the sight convinced him also. (See Luke 24:12.)

Both these apostles returned to their own home, without having seen either the Lord or his angels; without even having seen the women who had seen the Lord; and therefore without having heard their message. Why did they not still linger round the tomb, or search in every place for him they had lost?

It seems that the apostles, after their Lord's crucifixion, were afraid of falling into the hands of their enemies, and that on this account they kept as much as possible within their own doors.

There was one who now dwelt with John who was deeply affected by all that concerned the blessed Redeemer—it was his mother. We know that she watched her Son when dying on the cross, but we do not hear of her visiting the tomb. What sweet communion must have been held that day in the home of the beloved apostle! How the Lord's mother and his friend must have rejoiced together over his resurrection! They are happy who, living beneath one roof, delight to talk together of their blessed Savior! How can they who love him, forbear to speak of him, to retrace his kindness in times past, and to anticipate his glorious return!

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2006, 08:27:48 AM »

December 15

John 20:11-18. Christ appears to Mary Magdalene.

Mary Magdalene enjoyed one of the highest honors that was ever bestowed on a human creature—while on earth. She was the first to whom the Lord appeared after his resurrection.

It is interesting to consider the conduct of this honored woman; for it must have been pleasing to the Lord. She lingered near the tomb after the apostles had ttp://www.gracegems.org/
Ourdeparted. Her companions, also, who had seen the angels, were gone. She was alone. She was weeping. Others may have wept around the tomb, but her tears alone are mentioned. Perhaps it may have been on this account that many have supposed that she was the woman who once washed the feet of Jesus with her tears; but there is no foundation for this opinion. Stooping down, she perceived the angels, but felt no fear, for it seems she knew them not. There they were clothed in white, keeping watch in the tomb. The apostles lad not seen them, when they had looked in. The heavenly watchers were mindful of Mary's tears, and asked, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She replied, "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him."  The angels did not attempt to comfort her, as they had done her companions, because a better Comforter was standing behind her. She had complained to apostles,  then to angels, and now she complains to the Lord himself. "Sir, if you have borne him hence, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away." Grief is unreasonable. Had an enemy taken away the body, would  he have told Mary where he had laid it? The mourner was so transported  with sorrow that she knew not what she said, or what she did; she could not distinguish faces, nor remember voices; all was confusion and perplexity.

There are some who weep now, because they fear lest the enemy should triumph over their Lord's body. The saints are the body of Christ, his flesh, and his bones. The enemy has often trampled upon that body, but he can never destroy it. There are three islands, in distant oceans, which in our days have been openly assaulted by Satan and his hosts. The prisoners of Madeira, the patriots of Tahiti, and the martyrs of Madagascar, have endured a great fight of afflictions. Some have wept over their sufferings. Jesus beholds the tears of those who feel for his oppressed people, and he says to them with tenderness, "Why are you weeping?" He bids them weep no more, for he will soon avenge his own cause.

Though Mary did not at first remember her Savior's voice, yet when he pronounced her own name she knew it. Shall we ever hear our own names uttered by our Lord? Are they now written in his book? Can we wonder that when Mary had found her Lord she was unwilling to part from him? He said, "Touch me not;" that is, "Hold, or detain me not; for I am not  yet ascended unto my Father." As he was not going to ascend  immediately, Mary might hope to see him soon again. Then he sent a message to his brethren. He called his disciples his brethren. This was the message—"I ascend unto my Father and your Father, unto my God and your God." What a message! How full of grace, of joy, of glory! It is a message to us, if we believe in Jesus. His Father is our Father, and loves us as he does him. (John 17:23.) Our elder brother has gone before us, to prepare a place for the younger children in his Father's house.

http://www.gracegems.org/

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2006, 12:51:14 PM »

December 16

Matthew 28:9, 10. Christ appears to the faithful women.

The Lord Jesus appeared first to Mary Magdalene, after he rose from the dead; then he appeared to her two companions, Mary and Salome. He could transport himself, in one moment, from the place where he stood conversing with Mary Magdalene, near the tomb, to the spot which these women had reached. He met them as they were running quickly to bring his disciples word.

He met them with words of joy. He said, "All hail," or "Rejoice." He found them rejoicing, but he bid them again rejoice. The first salutation that he uttered when he rose from the dead was, "Woman, why are you weeping?" His next salutation was, "All hail." He would not bid his people rejoice, if there were not great cause for joy. When he was born into the world, the angel said to the shepherds, "Behold I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." Since that time Jesus had passed through deep sorrow. And what was the  fruit of this sorrow? Joy. What joy? The joy of saving souls from eternal death. This was the joy set before him, to gain which he endured the cross, and despised the shame. This is the Father's will, that every one that sees the Son, and believes in him, shall have everlasting life. (John 6:40.) Well might Jesus say to these believing women, "All hail!" If we could now hear Him speak from heaven, we should hear him utter those same words to all who believe in him. Though they might be languishing on sick beds, or weeping over newly-closed graves, he would say to them, "All hail!" But what would he say to unbelievers? He would denounce woe upon them, because they have not believed in the only name which can save them from the wrath to come. "Woe unto you that laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep."

Though the faithful women felt some fear at the sight of their risen Lord, they ventured to approach him, and to hold him by the feet. They must have seen upon those feet the prints of the nails. They loved him before he died, but surely they loved him better now. The sight of his agonies on the cross must greatly have increased their love. Everyone who has lost dear friends feels, "I never loved them enough while they were with me. The remembrance of their dying pangs endears them doubly to my heart." But what must these women have felt when they remembered all their Lord had gone through, and when they knew it was all for their sakes! Do we wish we had been in their place, lying low at his feet and worshiping him? If we love him, we may look forward to such a meeting.

When Jesus rose from the dead, his enemies were not permitted to see him. He appointed a place in Galilee where all his disciples from all parts of the land might assemble to meet him—but his enemies received no invitation. There shall be a place in the air where all who love Jesus shall behold him when he comes again. The dead in Christ shall rise first; then those who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. There will be no parting after that meeting. "So shall we be ever with the Lord." There will be no sorrow after that meeting. "God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." There will be no sin  after that meeting. "When he shall appear, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." (1 John 3:2 )

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »

December 17

Matthew 28:11-15. The Pharisees bribe the watch.

How short was the joy of the world! How soon it was turned into sorrow! Before his crucifixion, the Lord had said, "The world shall rejoice." And they did rejoice during the day that he lay in the grave. The words that God once addressed to Moab concerning their behavior to Israel applied to them—"Since you spoke of him, you skipped for joy." (Jer. 48:27.) But what dismay they felt when they heard that the object of their hatred was risen from the tomb! Yet they persevered in their horrible attempt to deter people from believing in him.

When they learned from the frightened soldiers the wonders that had happened at the sepulcher, they determined, if possible, to conceal these events. The chief priests took the lead in this dark transaction; they summoned the elders, and consulted with them by what means they should smother the truth. They decided on bribing the soldiers to spread an invented tale. "His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept." The father of lies never suggested a more dreadful lie than this. It is his constant employment to teach sinners to hide their sins under a covering of falsehood. There are numbers to be found in every place who are contriving day after day new ways of concealing their old sins. Their tongues have grown so familiar with lies, that they can tell them without a blush. But unless they repent, they will feel the power of that tremendous sentence, "All liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone." All liars of every  degree shall share in that condemnation. The Pharisees were deceivers of the worst kind. What would be thought of the man who should willfully deceive his neighbors concerning the place where the fire-engines were kept, though he knew the town was in flames? Through such a man a whole town might be destroyed. The Pharisees were such men. They endeavored to deceive a perishing world respecting him who was the life of that world. The resurrection proved that he was indeed the Son of God. This was the fact that his enemies labored to conceal.

They found the Roman soldiers ready to unite in their scheme. There is nothing so wicked that men have not done for the sake of  money. Some will even plead as an excuse for sin, that they should lose money if they did not commit it. Have you never heard people defend their disobedience to God's laws by saying, "I could not get a living if I acted otherwise?" Have any of us ever made such miserable excuses? There is one question which we ought never to forget. It is this—"What shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

These soldiers incurred great guilt when they consented to spread the falsehood the Pharisees had invented. They had felt the earthquake, they had seen the angels, yet they did not declare the glory of the Lord. But God found other messengers. Feeble, though faithful women, first proclaimed the joyful tidings. Unlearned, though inspired apostles, confirmed their word, and spread it far and wide. We have heard the glorious truth, that the Lord rose from the dead on the third day. Have we believed it? God has promised to save all those who believe it with the heart. "If you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe  in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved." (Rom. 10:9.)

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2006, 09:20:05 AM »

December 18

Luke 24:1-12. Women visit the tomb.

Those who have attentively examined the history of the resurrection have come to the conclusion that two companies of women visited the tomb. Matthew and Mark record the visit of the first  company; Luke that of the second. The first company consisted of at least three women, Mary Magdalene, the other Mary, and Salome. We do not know how many women composed the second band, or what were their names; but it is probable that Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, was one of them. Many women had followed Jesus from Galilee, and had ministered unto him by the way. (Matthew 27:55.) It is not to be supposed that they all lodged in the same house in Jerusalem, or that they reached the sepulcher at the same moment. Those who came first saw one  young man clothed in white sitting in the tomb. The second  band for a time saw no one; but, when they were much perplexed, they beheld two men standing by them in shining garments. The first company, as they were running to bring the disciples word, met their risen Lord—but there is no account of the second company being honored with such an interview. By referring to the 23d verse of this chapter, we shall see that there were some women who only saw a vision of angels, and not the Lord himself, and they may have formed the second  band.

How do angels address our fallen race? They speak to us as if we were but little children in comparison to themselves. These angels said to the women, "Why seek you the living among the dead?" It appeared to them an act of folly to look for the Lord of Life in the abode of Death. They felt that his followers ought to have known that he was risen. They repeated the very words that He had said to them, "The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified, and the third day rise again." Could any words be plainer than these? It was strange that all the disciples should have forgotten them. But while the angels must be astonished at the dullness and forgetfulness of human creatures, they do not exult over them with pride, or upbraid them with harshness. They instruct in a gentle and condescending manner. Let us try to teach like them when we meet with those who are more ignorant than ourselves. The heavenly hosts have been taught by Him who said, "Learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart."

What a disappointment it must have been to these women when they found the apostles would not believe their account! But Peter went to the tomb to examine for himself. Whether this was the same visit recorded by John, or another, is uncertain. The sight of the linen clothes convinced Peter that the Lord's body had not been stolen. In the course of the day the Lord himself appeared to Peter. Paul declares that he was seen of Cephas (or Peter) before he was seen of the twelve. (1 Cor. 15:5.) How wonderful that he who had denied his Master should be the first of all the apostles to behold him after his resurrection! Jesus knew that this weeping backslider needed this strong consolation. How the look which his Master had cast upon him while standing in the judgment-hall must have agonized his mind, until he saw again that injured Friend! Christ still pities the poor wanderer. It is not his will that such a one should "be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow." (2 Cor. 2:7.) It is the duty of his fellow-Christians to forgive and to comfort him, and to confirm their love towards him. How much more is it the delight of the compassionate Savior to raise him up, to strengthen him, and to wipe away his tears! Is there any sin which lies heavy on the conscience of any of us? Let us confess it at the feet of Jesus. He will not spurn us from his presence—no; but "He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us, he will subdue all our iniquities; and you will cast all their sins into the depths of the sea." (Micah 7:19.)

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2006, 09:23:08 AM »

December 19

Luke 24:13-24. The journey to Emmaus.

Towards the close of the joyful day which saw the Lord arise, two of the disciples were walking together, oppressed with sorrow. The name of one of these men was Cleopas. The name of his companion is not revealed. It does not seem probable that this Cleopas was the husband of that Mary who visited the sepulcher; for if he had been her husband, he must have known that she had seen the Lord; whereas we find that he only speaks of the women having seen angels, (ver. 23.) It is also to be remarked that he calls them merely "certain women of our company."

Cleopas and his friend were walking towards Emmaus. This village was nearly eight miles to the northwest of Jerusalem. The way there was mountainous, and in many places almost paved with rock. The gloomy scenery—the rugged path—the lonely way—the declining sun, must have accorded with the troubled state of the disciples' hearts. The risen Lord beheld these two friends as they walked sorrowfully along, and he came to pass the evening in their company. Though he well knew the subject of their conversation, he asked them this question,—"What manner of communications are these that you have one to another, as you walk and are sad?"

When we are conversing together, if the Lord were to draw near and to make this inquiry, should we always be willing to reply? Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Worldly people never  take pleasure in conversing about their souls, or Christ, or heaven. They delight in talking of the trifling vanities of time. But even true Christians are apt to forget unseen things, and to waste their precious hours in unprofitable discourse. But when they do converse upon spiritual subjects, they receive a blessing from the Lord. In times of affliction, especially, they should avoid the society of the ungodly. David when in trouble said, "I will keep my mouth with a bridle while the wicked is before me." (Ps. 39:1.) But they should open their hearts to each other. It was in a time of public calamity that the saints described by Malachi met together. "Then those who feared the Lord spoke often one to another, and the Lord hearkened and heard it." (Mal. 3:16.)

There must have been something exceedingly gracious in the manner in which Jesus addressed the mourning disciples; for, though they took him for a stranger, they readily opened their grief at his request.  What a grief it was! They had lost their Lord. Yet they had not renounced him. They looked upon him still, not as a deceiver, but as a "prophet mighty in deed and in word, before God and all the people." Their own negligence was the principal occasion of their grief. Though many had been to see the sepulcher, they had not. Had they gone they also might have seen angels, or at least they would have seen the linen clothes, and by them have been convinced that the Lord was risen. Then, instead of mourning together, they would have been rejoicing together. Christians are often unhappy only because they are negligent. They hear their brethren tell of joys which they themselves have never tasted, and they scarcely believe the report. But if they would use the same diligence in searching the Scriptures, and the same importunity in prayer as those happy brethren, they also would rejoice.

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2006, 09:27:36 AM »

December 20

Luke 24:25-35. Christ makes himself known at Emmaus.

Has anyone who loves Jesus ever read the account of the walk to Emmaus without wishing he had been there? How delightful it must have been to hear the Lord explain in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself! But has he not promised his Holy Spirit to enlighten us when we search his holy word? There are things concerning himself in all the Scriptures. In the beginning of the Bible we find him revealed as the Seed of the woman; and in the last chapter of the Old Testament, we behold him as the Sun of Righteousness; and in every intervening page we may discover him—as a suffering Lamb, or as a conquering Lion; as a tender shoot, or a strong branch; as a servant, or a king; as a child, or the Ancient of Days; now made low as a worm, and now declared to be the mighty God, the great Creator, the glorious Jehovah.

While the Lord was explaining this mysterious subject to his attentive companions, he arrived at Emmaus. This village was situated on the southern side of a fruitful hill, and commanded a view of the towers and pinnacles of Jerusalem. Lying exposed to the heat of the mid-day sun, it was refreshed by an abundance of cooling springs. Jesus would not have entered the disciples' dwelling had he not been entreated to stay. Whenever we return to our homes, let us make the prayer those disciples made, and say, "Abide with us." No home is really sweet in which Jesus does not abide. Where he is, there are peace, and love, and joy.

The Lord acted as master of the house at the table of his host. According to his custom, "he took bread, and blessed it, and broke it, and gave to them." Then the disciples knew the Lord, for their eyes were opened. God exercises supreme power over our senses. He lets us see and hear what he chooses. In the next world He can open our eyes, and enable us to know saints we have never seen, and to recognize friends we have long lost.

What must the mourners have felt when they discovered that the wonderful stranger was their own beloved Savior! But they had no opportunity of expressing their delight to him, for he vanished out of their sight. After his resurrection the Lord neither came in nor went out as before. A glorified body is very different from the houses of clay in which our spirits are imprisoned.

The two friends could not remain at home after the joyful event that had happened! They longed to make their brethren partakers of their happiness. They had left them weeping; but when they arrived at Jerusalem they found them rejoicing. The Lord had appeared to Simon Peter. Though the women's report had been disbelieved, Peter's testimony had been received.

What was the subject of that evening's conversation? Was it not the various appearances of the Lord? Every particular concerning the interviews that had been enjoyed with Him must have been listened to with the deepest interest. About what do saints above converse? Is it not about their Lord, and how they first learned to know him, and how he manifested himself to them at various seasons of their pilgrimage? Even here, when saints meet together, they delight to speak on these subjects. Like the disciples of old, they have different histories to relate. Mary Magdalene might tell how quickly he revealed himself to her—Cleopas and his friend might describe how long he delayed to make himself known to them. She met him in the garden—they were joined by him in the way. She addressed him first—they were  first spoken to by him. The dealings of the Lord with his people are still marked by different circumstances; but the end in every case will be the same. Though for a season they may lament, saying, "I sought him, but I found him not;" and inquire mournfully, "Saw you him whom my soul loves?" at length they will joyfully declare, "I found him whom my soul loves." (Cant. 3:2-4.) Those who love Jesus must find him, for He  himself is seeking them.

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »

December 21

Luke 24:36-43. Christ eats in the presence of his disciples.

During the course of the resurrection-day the Lord Jesus appeared to several of his people either alone, or when two or three were together. But he crowned the joys of the day by showing himself in the evening to a larger assembly. The apostles, the disciples from Emmaus, and others besides, were all conversing about their risen Lord, when they suddenly saw him standing before them. Nothing could be more comforting than the words he uttered, "Peace be unto you." All his salutations to his people that day had been full of sympathy and encouragement. To the weeping Mary he had said, "Why are you weeping?" to the joyful women, "All hail!" to the mourning disciples, "What manner of communications are these that you have one to another, as you walk and are sad?" To Simon Peter we know not what he said; but we are persuaded that He who sent him a gracious message,  gave him a tender reception. To his assembled apostles he said, "Peace be unto you." This peace he won by the pangs of death. Man lost it in Eden; the Son of man regained it on Calvary. He made peace by the blood of his cross, (Col. 1:20;) and he rose from the grave to bestow that peace upon his people. He still lives to bestow it on all who ask it. If there be any uneasy soul seeking for happiness, but not knowing how to obtain it, let that restless creature fall low at the feet of Jesus, and implore his blessing; peace shall sooner or later flow into that troubled heart. A sweet sense of pardon, a lively hope of heaven, and a fervent love to God —these feelings make up the peace that Jesus gives.

How touching it must have been to see the Lord showing his own wounded hands and feet to his disciples, and inviting them to touch his sacred person! God permitted these prints of love to remain after the wounds were forever healed. The apostle John, when he speaks of his Lord in the opening of his first epistle, alludes to the privileges he had enjoyed—"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, which our hands have handled, of the Word of Life."

The apostles enjoyed some privileges which we have never known. They heard that blessed voice, they saw that sacred form, they touched those precious limbs; but there are still higher enjoyments that we hope to share with them hereafter. The gracious Savior, who condescended to eat with his disciples after he rose from the dead, has promised to admit all his people to intimate communion with himself. There is no creature so lowly—no soul so ignorant—no sinner so lost, who shall, if he feel the desire to be with Jesus, be refused admittance to his presence. But not one being shall approach him in glory who has not loved him upon earth. To all who love him not he will say, "Depart." How would the entrance of an enemy have marred the joy of the evening which Christ spent with his apostles! Judas was not there. No doubt, in former days, he had stirred up many dissensions among the little band. There shall not be one enemy in heaven to interrupt the harmony. The weak believer shall be there; the restored backslider shall be there; the sinner, plucked in the last hour as a brand from the burning, shall be there—but not one hypocrite, not one self-righteous formalist, not one worldly-minded person, not one who does not love the Lord Jesus Christ. Let each of us ask his own soul, "Shall I be there?"

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2006, 09:47:31 AM »

December 22

John 20:19-23. Christ bestows the Holy Spirit on his disciples.

This is the same appearance of the Lord as that recorded by Luke. It took place in the evening, after the resurrection. It is the first meeting recorded of the followers of the crucified Savior. It was the first of a long train of Christian assemblies. At this moment, in how many parts of the world congregations are worshiping him who suffered upon the cross! Our family is now meeting together in honor of his name. But do our feelings resemble those of the first disciples? Do we love Jesus? Do we earnestly long to see him? If he were now to stand in the midst of the room, should we be exceedingly glad? There are many who call themselves Christians, who do not love Christ. They would not be glad to see him. When the risen Savior entered the room where the disciples were assembled, the doors were shut for fear of the Jews. It is evident that they were locked, or fastened, in order to keep out the enemy. It was easy for him who had just broken the bars of death to open those doors.

Luke relates, that on this occasion he ate in the presence of his disciples. This he did to show that he was man. But he also showed that he was God. He breathed on his disciples, saying, "Receive the Holy Spirit." At that very moment they received the Holy Spirit, though not in so abundant a manner, as after Jesus ascended.

Christ never gives us commands without enabling us to fulfill them. He commanded his apostles to preach the Gospel, and to enable them to preach it, he gave them the Holy Spirit. By this gift their understandings were enlightened more than they had ever been before. But the apostles could not forgive sins. He alone, against whom sin is committed, can forgive it. Why then did Jesus say to his apostles, "Whoever's sins you remit they are remitted to them?" Did He not enable them to know whom He would forgive?

When the men who had crucified their Lord came to them in an agony of grief, saying, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" the apostles knew what to reply. They knew that Christ would forgive his murderers, and they answered, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins." They knew also whom God would not forgive. When Ananias and Sapphira lied to the Holy Spirit, Peter consigned them both to instant death.

What is the greatest blessing that sinners can receive? Is it not the forgiveness of sins? Do we desire to know whether our  sins are forgiven? In the writings of the apostles we shall find rules laid down by which we may examine ourselves. Have we with real sorrow confessed our sins, and asked pardon in the name of Jesus? Then we have obtained mercy. For the apostle John has declared in his first epistle, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9.)

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2006, 09:52:19 AM »

December 23

John 20:24 to end. Christ convinces the unbelieving apostle.

Much benefit has often been lost by absence from the assemblies of the saints. Thomas, by his absence, lost an opportunity of seeing the risen Savior. While his brethren were rejoicing in the thought of the glory of their Lord, he was suffering the miseries of unbelief.

There is something daring and repulsive in the expression he used—"Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe." Thomas little thought when he spoke thus that Jesus heard his words. How many speeches that we have uttered must have grieved the heart of our ever-present Savior! Were he to appear and remind us of them, we should feel overwhelmed with shame and sorrow.

It was just one week after his resurrection that the Lord came the second time to visit his assembled people.

He entered the room in the same wonderful manner as before, passing through the fastened doors. By two signs he showed that he was God. The manner of his entrance displayed his divine power; his repeating the words of Thomas manifested his divine knowledge.

When Nathanael was brought to Jesus, he was astonished to hear him say, "When you were under the fig-tree I saw you;" and he cried out, "You are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel."

Thomas felt in the same manner when he exclaimed, "My Lord and my God." He did not say, (as Israel once had said,) the Lord he is the God; but "My Lord and my God." He loved Jesus, and he knew that Jesus loved him; therefore he could say, "My God." Those wounds in the Savior's hands seemed to cry out, "I loved you, and gave myself for you."

The sin of this apostle was the occasion of a blessing being pronounced on numbers then unborn. "Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet have believed." Thomas ought to have believed the promise that Christ would rise, before any witnesses had declared that they had seen him; but he not only doubted Christ's promise, but rejected the testimony of all his brethren. His unbelief was very great; yet it was not that fatal unbelief which reigns in the unconverted, for it was accompanied by sincere love. The Pharisees dreaded lest Christ should rise. Thomas regarded his rising again as too joyful an event to be true. They tried to shut their eyes to all the proofs that were pressed upon them. He sought to obtain stronger proofs than he had yet found. Still Thomas would have been more blessed had he believed the word of Jesus  before he had seen it accomplished.

Among those who sincerely believe in Jesus how much unbelief may be detected! How often they fear that He has forgotten them, though He has promised that He never will! If they would always trust him they would always taste that peace which passes all understanding. Jacob, though an eminent saint, in the midst of his fiery trials was tempted to exclaim, "All these things are against me;" but the Shunamite was enabled in the depth of her trouble to say, "It is well."
www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2006, 09:56:30 AM »

December 24

John 21:1-14. Christ appears at the lake of Gennesaret.

This is the third time that the Lord showed himself to several disciples assembled together after he rose from the dead. The first time was on the evening of the day of his resurrection; the second was a week afterwards, when Thomas was present. Both these appearances took place at Jerusalem. The third occurred in Galilee. The angel at the tomb had promised that Jesus would meet his disciples in Galilee. In this part of Canaan he had lived from his childhood, and here he had often traveled with his little flock, preaching the Gospel.

It must have been a trial to the apostles not to see their Lord as soon as they arrived there. It seems that they were reduced to great necessity while waiting for him, and that they were obliged to resume their old occupation of fishing. But they were not forgotten by him who had given his own flesh for the life of the world.

After a toilsome night, spent in vain endeavors to procure a fresh supply of food, they heard a voice calling out, "Children, have you any meat?" But they neither recognized the voice, nor the form of their Lord. Soon, however, the beloved apostle John discovered him by his wondrous acts. After following his directions, the apostles found their net laden with an enormous quantity of fish. Then John exclaimed, "It is the Lord."

On several occasions after the resurrection, Jesus made himself known by some word he uttered, or act he performed, without declaring plainly who He was. When he pronounced the name of Mary, he was made manifest as her Lord; and when he blessed the bread at Emmaus, he was discovered by the mourning disciples. There are many ways in which Jesus still makes his people feel that he is present. When a soul is converted, then we know that he is near; when in the midst of trouble, comfort flows into the heart—when prayer is answered—when temptation is resisted—when sin is subdued—when death is welcomed—then we may feel assured "It is the Lord."

As soon as the seven hungry and weary disciples reached the shore, what a proof of their Lord's condescending care met their eyes! A fire of coals was kindled, fish was laid thereon, and bread was provided. Whose hands had kindled that fire and prepared that meal? Was it the pierced hands of the risen Savior, or those of angels, his ministering servants? We know not by what means the simple fare was made ready; but we know that it was the Lord who had condescended to provide this seasonable supply. The King of glory himself waited upon his poor followers. He who had washed their feet before he suffered, fed them with his own hands  after he was risen.

Have his people cause to fear, lest they should be forgotten in the day of their necessity? Sometimes they are tempted to inquire, What shall I do, if my business should not prosper? What would become of me if sickness should lay me low? Who would take care of me, if I should live to be old and feeble? But these are unbelieving thoughts. Christ has promised each of his children—"I will never leave you, nor forsake you." When our minds are troubled with cares concerning the future, let us remember the Lord Jesus by the side of the lake, feeding his poor disciples with his own pierced hands.

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2006, 09:57:52 AM »

Christmas Day

Suspend the course for the day, and read Is. 9:1-8; and Luke 2:1-15; or some other chapter suitable to the Nativity.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2006, 10:07:38 AM »

December 26

John 21:15-17. Christ questions Peter concerning his love.

"Simon, son of Jonas, do you love me more than these?" Why did the Lord Jesus ask this question? And why did he say three  times, "Do you love me?" Peter had lately denied him openly three  times. It is a great satisfaction to a penitent backslider, to have an opportunity of expressing his feelings. If Jesus had not made the inquiry in this pointed manner, Peter might have felt afraid of coming forward as he used to do. He might have thought, "How have I belied all my professions by my conduct!—henceforth I will keep silence;" but Jesus invited him to speak. Then Peter replied, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He had lost his self-confidence, but he retained his fervor. He no longer professed to love his Lord more than his fellow-disciples loved him; he no longer protested, "Though all men shall be offended because of you, yet will I never be offended;" but he still felt that he loved his Master, and he still knew, that though others might suspect his sincerity, the Searcher of hearts never could.

Is it a comfort to us to reflect that Jesus knows our hearts? Do we feel assured that when he looks into them he sees there some—though not enough—gratitude for all his kindness? What should we think of Peter, if he had not loved his Lord! What should we think of him, if he could have beheld Jesus dying on the cross, and not have loved him! and if he could have received a generous pardon after his base denial—and not have loved him! and if he could that morning have taken the food from his pierced hands—and not have loved him! But has Jesus done nothing for us? Is there one person here present who can say, "I have no reason to love the Lord; he has done nothing for me; he has shown me no kindness; he has never fed me, nor pardoned me, nor shed his blood for me?" No creature knows how much Jesus has done for him; when all his goodness, and forbearance, and patience come to light, (as they will do, at the last day,) everyone who has not loved him will be overwhelmed with shame, and confusion of face.

It is the earnest wish of those who do love the Lord, to know how they can please him. Jesus told Peter how to show his love. He said, "Feed my lambs," and then "Feed my sheep." He had made Peter a minister of the gospel. In a minister's office there are two parts—the first is, "Converting sinners;" the second, "Instructing saints." When the Lord that morning had caused the disciples to catch a multitude of fish, he had shown them that they would, by preaching the gospel, convert many sinners. When he commanded Peter to feed his sheep and lambs, he taught him that it would be his duty to instruct the saints. A minister resembles both a fisherman and a shepherd. When he is exhorting sinners to come to Jesus, then he is like a fisherman enclosing fish in his net; when he is teaching believers, then he is like a shepherd feeding his flock.

The lambs are the first objects of the shepherd's care, because they are weaker than the sheep. All children who love Christ are his lambs; good ministers feed them with the fresh grass that grows by the still waters. When they tell them about the good Shepherd, who died to save sinners, then it is they feed the lambs. Jesus himself gathers them with his arms, and carries them in his bosom, and keeps them from the roaring lion who seeks to devour them. There are some aged people who have only just begun to believe, and these also are counted by Jesus among his lambs. It may be, that neglected by earthly shepherds, they have gone "from mountain, to hill," and had "'forgotten their resting-place." (Jer. 50:6.) When lo! in their declining years, they heard a voice saying, "Come unto me, all you that are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." They obeyed the gentle call, and now each of them can say, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." There are many little children who have repeated this verse as soon as they could lisp; and many aged saints who have uttered it with their expiring breath.

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2007, 09:35:02 AM »

December 27

John 21:18 to end. Christ foretells the manner of Peter's death.

None of us can foresee what will be the manner of our death. We know not whether it will be natural or violent, sudden or lingering, painful or comparatively easy; we do not even know certainly that we shall die; for some will remain until the coming of the Lord, and be caught up to meet him in the air. God in his goodness and his wisdom has concealed the future from his creatures, even those things that most nearly concern them. But occasionally he departs from his usual course. In wrath he revealed to Jehoram, the king of Judah, the manner of his death. There came a writing from Elijah the prophet, describing the dreadful disease which would cut short his days. (2 Chron. 21:15.) In love Jesus revealed to Peter the manner of his death. It was the most painful, and the most shameful, yet the most honorable, because the death his Master had suffered, even crucifixion. The Bible contains no account of the event, but it has been commonly reported that it took place at Rome.

If when Peter first began to follow the Lord, he had known that he should be called to endure such bitter sufferings for his sake, the announcement might have overwhelmed him with terror. But since that time his soul had been strengthened; and he was willing to encounter trials that once would have appalled him. In his second epistle he speaks with calmness of his death—"Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ has shown me." (2 Peter 1:14.)

God can make those events which once appeared terrible—tolerable, and even delightful to the soul. There may be great trials reserved for some of us. If we knew now what they were, perhaps we should say, "We cannot sustain them." But God will enable us to bear all that he has appointed that we shall suffer. He answered Paul's prayers for deliverance from his piercing thorn, by saying, "My grace is sufficient for you." His grace is sufficient for us also.

It seems that the Lord uttered the prophecy concerning Peter in the presence of the other disciples; but afterwards he called him to go apart with him. Encouraged by the favor shown him, Peter ventured to ask the Lord what would become of John, who was following their steps. It was natural that he should expect this question would be answered, for at the last supper, when he had asked John to inquire who should betray the Lord, a reply had been granted. But there was a great difference between these two inquiries. Anxiety to clear themselves of the foul crime that one of their number would commit, led all the faithful apostles to desire to know who the traitor was. But it was curiosity that induced Peter now to ask, "What shall this man do?" Such curiosity required a check. There is nothing revealed in the Scriptures to gratify curiosity. Man would like to know the history of the angels, but he is only told his own history; for this alone concerns him—he would like to know who are the inhabitants of the worlds suspended in the heavens, but he is only told who he himself is.

It is not curiosity that makes Christians desirous to know all things that Jesus did. Love leads us to wish to hear all his words, and to learn the particulars of all his actions. But it was impossible that they could all be written in one book. Shall we ever know all those interesting facts? If we are made worthy, through the blood of Jesus, to enter his kingdom of glory, we may hear from the lips of apostles circumstances which their pens have not recorded. Angels were witnesses of scenes where apostles were not present; hereafter those holy watchers may describe events that occurred among the green hills near Bethlehem, and on the sultry plains of Egypt, in the lowly dwelling at Nazareth, and on the shady banks of Jordan, amid the dismal caverns of the wilderness, and upon the sorrowful summit of Mount Olivet, events which have never yet been heard by mortal ear. And may not the Lord Jesus himself condescend to reveal to his people some passages in his life, and some feelings of his heart, which are known to none but Himself?

www.gracegems.org/

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2007, 09:36:30 AM »

December 28

Matthew 28:16 to end. Christ meets his disciples on a mountain.

When the Lord Jesus was on earth, he had no palace in which to hold his court. It was on a mountain in Galilee that his disciples met together to behold him after his resurrection. Why was a mountain selected as the place of meeting? Because the tops of mountains are retired spots. As the Lord would not permit his enemies to see him after he rose from the dead, he chose a secluded place in a remote part of the land in which to meet his friends. None but those who loved him were there. More than five hundred brethren were gathered together to see him. (1 Cor. 15:6.) Was such an assembly ever known before or since! It is common to behold a congregation of five hundred people. But do they all love Jesus? Are they all brethren in Christ? No! in such congregations the children of wrath and the children of God are mingled. But there was not one of Christ's open enemies among the five hundred on the mountain. Paul calls them all "brethren." (1 Cor. 15.) We know not their names. But we may conjecture that those who had been healed, and pardoned, and instructed, came from all parts of the land to behold their risen Benefactor. Bartimeus, the blind beggar of Jericho, and the blind beggar of Jerusalem, may have been there, as well as Joseph and Nicodemus, the honorable counselors. Though they are called brethren, yet doubtless women were included in the company. It is probable that the pious women of Galilee were present, and even Mary, the Mother of Jesus.

We should like to know what Jesus said to those assembled on the mountain. It is not certain that the words recorded by Matthew in this passage were spoken before that assembly. They contain the Lord's charge to his apostles. "Go you therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." The word "teach," in this verse, means "disciple." "Go, and disciple all nations," or make them my disciples. How could the apostles do this? By preaching the gospel. Those who believed were to be baptized, not in the name of Jesus only, but in the name of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the glorious Trinity. Thus Jesus showed that he was one with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

What an arduous undertaking the Lord assigned to his apostles! To go to a world full of the servants of Satan, to seek for servants for God! This was their work. How could they perform it! Their Master gave the encouragement they needed. He began by saying, "All power (or authority) is given unto me in heaven, and in earth;" and he ended by declaring, "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." He who had all power would be with them! He who lives forever would be with them! What could they fear with such a guard! But would the apostles live to the end of the world? No! but Christ would raise up other men like them in spirit, to teach the same doctrines they had taught. He is still with his faithful ministers, to bless their labors and to comfort their hearts. What an assembly will one day be gathered together upon the heavenly mountain, of all those who have believed through their word! There may have been some missing from the mountain in Galilee, who would have been glad to be there; but not one who loves Jesus shall be absent from the mountain of the Lord's house. Some, knowing that Jesus had been lately crucified, doubted at first whether they really beheld the risen Savior; but there shall be no unbelief in heaven. In a little while the brethren were obliged to descend from the sacred summit; but the glorified shall never descend from the heights of the heavenly Zion. Shall we be found among that blessed company? Let us now often seek Christ where he has promised to meet us—in secret—in our chambers—the door shut, the world shut out, and the heart lifted up to that glorious mountain where the hundred and forty-four thousand surround the Lamb.

www.gracegems.org/

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the