Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 03:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286815 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  minorities rights
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: minorities rights  (Read 5062 times)
Reba
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2004, 08:14:36 PM »

Self respect is not given or purchased, it is earned and deserved.

Forgive my coming from left field. But I was still on the first page.

Left field is a big part of the team just ask Bobby Bonds!
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2004, 08:21:31 PM »

Maybe in NZ, by in the US, there are many different races with many different disorders, and these disorders have stayed relatively in the race it started in. Look up the race of the people with Sickle Cell in America right now, you will find the vast majority of them are of African decent. Some of those family could have been in America for the past 400 years, and still, most of the remain AA. We are still of the same Nationality, however, we come from different places, all with different problems.

It is a practical consideration in a racist society, yes. However, I don't think it contributes to racism, if that is what you are implying.

Face it, both sides make good arguements. And look, you can admitt that WITHOUT the name calling. Smiley

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
jenn

God is Love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »

No, as long as everyone actually has " equal rights" and no one is getting something more than they should or less or anything unfair handed to them than its fine the way it is because were not going by the past hopefully not but what is now no one is more special or less special as the next person we should all be looked on not according to ethic, religion or gender but that were all humans that breathe, talk and have 5 fingers . So in conclusion we should ALL be dealt with fairly.

If we claim to be without sin, we decieve ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness...
But  if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense-Jesus Christ, the Righteous
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2004, 08:45:34 PM »

Maybe in NZ, by in the US, there are many different races with many different disorders, and these disorders have stayed relatively in the race it started in. Look up the race of the people with Sickle Cell in America right now, you will find the vast majority of them are of African decent. Some of those family could have been in America for the past 400 years, and still, most of the remain AA. We are still of the same Nationality, however, we come from different places, all with different problems.
I'm in Australia, not NZ.
I'm  not denying that there are genetic diseases that are more common in some races than others, but pointing out that there are also some that are national (eg in Europe, where populations are more static than the New World) and some that are prevalent in certain particular smaller groups such as small geographic areas with a particularly static population, and particular families even.   If we start with the premise that such diseases should be contained by restricting marriage between groups, then the logical conclusion is that you should only allow incest!

The idea sounds plausible, but it's really based on the idea that one (or more) races are clean, and shouldn't be contaminated by other races.  In reality, the overall population is genetically improved if anything by inter-racial marriage.  Yes, you may get in increase in the incidence of sickle cell in the non-african population, but you'll get a corresponding benefit in other genetic disorders and vice versa for the african decended population. Genetic diseases don't work like viruses where quarantine of a population my be a purposeful strategy.

It is a practical consideration in a racist society, yes. However, I don't think it contributes to racism, if that is what you are implying.

Whether it contributes to racism is a matter of opinion, but most of the time it is a cover for racism.  Implicit is the idea of "we are genetically clean, and they are not", otherwise the concept makes little sense.

Face it, both sides make good arguements. And look, you can admitt that WITHOUT the name calling. Smiley
I'm not name calling.  I'm not calling you racist, I'm saying that many who promote these ideas are, and are using them for racist ends.

Also implicit in this is the idea that race is obvious, when it is not; Hungarians (Magyar) and Finns (for example) look like most other Europeans, but are racially quite different.  Anglo-saxons and Pakistanis look quite different, but are racially very close.  Pakistanis and Tamils look quite similar, but are racially very different.  Unless you are going to look in considerable depth into a prospective partners family history the idea isn't even practically workable except to separate black and white.  If you are personally worried about specific diseases then it would be far more effective to screen for them.  On a less personal level, why is it better for a fully "african" child to be born with sickle-cell than a child of mixed descent or an "anglo-saxon" child?   Segregation doesn't reduced the overall incidence of the disease - if you want to do that you need to identify the specific carriers and persuade them not to have children.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 09:00:46 PM by ebia » Logged

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2004, 08:20:07 AM »

Self respect is not given or purchased, it is earned and deserved.

Forgive my coming from left field. But I was still on the first page.

No I think respect is earned and deserved - but SELF respect is something every gives to themselves.  It is those who think they have to earn it from themselves that end up with out it (because we are our own worst critics usually), and being without self respect is a dangerous thing.  

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2004, 11:36:23 PM »

In a true democracy, minorities have zero rights.   Wink

I'm anxiously awaiting the ultimate government:  True Theocracy!   Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2004, 10:54:45 PM »

When I was 17 my white grandma married an African American man.
I thought it was cool. Not that she was marrying a man of a different skin color, but that she was marrying someone she truly loved.
They advised me and their other grandchildren that it would be best if we married people who were white.
They didn't say that because they were racists. They said that because they knew the hardships we could wind up facing.
Of course, that was 22 years ago and things are improving now in some areas.

Someone asked me a few months ago if I'd allow my children to marry outside of their race.
My answer was "No, my children must marry someone in the human race."  Wink

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2004, 10:32:08 AM »

When I was 17 my white grandma married an African American man.
I thought it was cool. Not that she was marrying a man of a different skin color, but that she was marrying someone she truly loved.
They advised me and their other grandchildren that it would be best if we married people who were white.
They didn't say that because they were racists. They said that because they knew the hardships we could wind up facing.
Of course, that was 22 years ago and things are improving now in some areas.

Someone asked me a few months ago if I'd allow my children to marry outside of their race.
My answer was "No, my children must marry someone in the human race."  Wink

I cannot abide anti-Martian sentiment in any form.   Angry

Grin Grin Grin

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

LOL!

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
Reba
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2004, 11:33:36 PM »

NORTH MIAMI, Fla. -- The North Miami police department dropped a swimming requirement for applicants, saying they need new officers and want to encourage blacks to sign up.

SURVEY
Do you agree with the department's decision to eliminate its swimming requirement?

Yes
 No  

Results | Disclaimer

North Miami police say they are dropping the requirement for a year. They say few departments require swimming and their officers rarely save people in water.

"Our swimming requirement may give the false perception that we are not serious in our efforts to hire Haitian police applicants," police chief Gwendolyn Boyd-Savage wrote in a memo explaining the decision. Boyd-Savage is black.

"They have been intimidated because they don't swim, very few of them swim," said Mayor Joe Celestin, who is Haitian-American. "They have the ability to learn how to swim, but many of them are not that great of a swimmer as the standard, current requirement that we have. We want to bring them in and give them a chance to learn."

The requirement is for police recruits to swim 150 feet without stopping while wearing all clothing except shoes, assistant police chief Doug Brown said Thursday.

Critics say race and ethnicity are not factors when it comes to swimming.

Assistant Police Chief Doug Brown said, "We are not here to make any type of cultural assessments. We are looking to attract both minority and non-minority candidates who would normally not apply."

Any person who wants the job could learn to swim.  This is akin to lower the basketball hoop or getting as many pitches as needed tel ya get the hit.

I copied the artical from the site so the survey thing is theirs.   I found this artical as a head line on the DRUDGE.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the