Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286816 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Redeemer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Redeemer  (Read 960 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »

~~~ I AM - The Son ~~~
(Originally written in 2000)

Redeemer

For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has given to the Son to have life within Himself. (Jn5:26)

But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, having come into being out of a woman, having come under Law, that He might redeem the ones under law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. (Gal4:4-5)

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us; for it has been written, "Cursed is everyone having been hung on a tree;" (Gal3:13)

In the last lesson we observed Jesus authenticating Himself to be Deity, by raising people from the dead. He promised to "raise up" believers at the "Last Day". (Jn6:40,44,54) And in the next lesson we will observe how He led the way into the Resurrection. Raising of the dead proves His authority and ability to give "everlasting life" (Jn3:16).

But we know that "all have sinned" (Rom3:10-12,23) and that the "wages of sin is -death-". (Rom6:23a) "The soul that sins, it shall die" (Eze18:4,20) If we are sinners, deserving of death, -how- does "eternal life" come "through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rom6:23b)??

Jesus became a "curse" for us. The "wages" for sin had to be paid. Again, man is busy changing God's laws. There are no longer "consequences" for actions. An evil president can be immoral, lie under oath and go through an impeachment process, and yet come away -smiling- and essentially unscathed...still retaining power. A couple days before this was written, the news had an item of a young little boy who, because he couldn't control his lust for a certain kind of cereal (just had to have it!), got in the car to drive to the store to get his favorite cereal, hitting a police car along the way. What was his "punishment" for this? Notoriety in the TV spotlight, and a "reward". Yes, indeed! A Reward! The cereal manufacturer promising a "year's supply" of his favorite cereal .... BECAUSE, he had been rebellious and caused havoc. On TV shows of the various "Funniest Videos", invariably, the clips receiving 1st prize are ones where little children are throwing temper tantrums and being rebellious. Rather than being punished or disciplined for such behavior, they are rewarded with TV/media spotlights and prizes.

Is it ANY WONDER that people have no concept of God's impending wrath against the world's wickedness! And no concept of the need for "repentance" unto salvation. That there are consequences. That sin has its results that are "deserved" (Rev16:6)

Sin is cursed. Sinners are accursed. Everlasting life does not come upon us...just BECAUSE. God is so gracious. He is so good. He "accepts us JUST AS WE ARE". All we have to do is "believe". Of course, the focus of this 'belief' is a bit muddied. And how can it be otherwise, if there is no concept of how heinous sin is, and the stench of the "prison" of "death" we are in. We need "rescuing" out of that prison. That's what Jesus came to do, to "open the prison [of sin and death] to those who are bound". (Is61:1b)

But the "debt" had to be paid first. The person does not gain release from prison unless the bail has been paid, or the judge has decreed the "case dismissed", etc.etc.

Another example is given. Life, and a new plant does not grow, unless there is first "death". (1Cor15:36-37) Humanity likes to see the pretty flowers and enjoy the wonderful scent. But they don't understand that before that lovely plant grew, a seed had to be planted in the ground. Seeds will remain as "potential life" for many years...as 'hard' seeds. But that's all they are. Seeds. But when they are planted in the soil, they begin to die. If the life did not sprout from within the seed to send out the root and shoot, and it continued in the ground, the seed would soften, rot, and be dead. When the life is sprouting, the seed becomes "soft"...the beginning of that rotting process. Out of that dying comes new life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »

~~~ I AM - The Son ~~~
(Originally written in 2000)

Redeemer

As Jesus is looking ahead to His imminent crucifixion He says that "The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified." (Jn12:23) Being "glorified", of course, is His resurrection, etc. But notice that He speaks of the necessity to "die" (vs24) prior to that glory.

Notice that the "life" of that "seed" does not come from within ourselves. When the Sower went sowing seed, that "seed" is the "Word of God". (Lk8:11, 1Pt1:23) "Faith [Salvation]... comes by the Word of God" (Rom10:17) Who is the sower? It is the Father who "draws". (Jn6:44) The Father is the Vinedresser. (Jn15:1)

So, Jesus died on the cross. He redeemed us when He became our sacrifice. (1Pt1:18-19) How does this redeem us? What He did -physically- becomes "imputed" to us -spiritually- through faith. (Rom4) Christ died for us. (Rom5) And spiritually, we died -with- Him. (Rom6:2-8a) And as a result, because He resurrected, "we shall also live with Him" (Rom6:8b)

How does Jesus' -physical- death transfer to us -spiritually-? That is something which is in the realm of God's understanding. Remember that He created man out of the dust. (Gen2:7) But He breathed into him "spirit". Since this is a concept/process we obviously cannot understand, it should become equally obvious as to 'why' it is that we cannot save ourselves. We don't have the capacity to 'manipulate' the physical and spiritual. This is why Salvation is a "gift of God". (Eph2:8 ) Something we can only "receive". (Jn1:12) We have no capacity or ability (Rom5:6) to perform any "works" to effect the change. (Eph2:9,Tit3:5)

All we can do is come to the foot of His cross in repentance and say "I am not worthy to be called your son" (Lk15:19) "I abhor myself and repent" (Job42:6) "God be merciful to me, the sinner" (Lk18:13)

The one thief on the cross next to Jesus was about as "humbled" as he could be. (Jas4:10) The other one, although beaten to a bloody pulp, just like Jesus, and hanging buck naked, railed upon Jesus, "If you are [really] Christ [like You say], save Yourself and us." (Lk23:39) But the one who was repentant realized he was at the end of his rope, under the "same condemnation". He acknowledged his sin, and Jesus' righteousness.

Joseph asked Pharaoh's cupbearer to "mention" him (in prison) when he was restored. (Gen40:14) Not asking for anything wonderful. Just, please, take notice of me, a poor prisoner. The cupbearer, of course, completely forgot Joseph. The thief asks Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." Jesus does not forget, but promises, "Today you shall be with Me in Paradise." (Lk23:42-43)

And He promises all who receive Him, "And this is the will of the Father sending Me, that of all that He has given Me, I shall not lose any of it, but shall raise it up in the last day... The one partaking of My flesh and drinking of My blood [partaking of His death -1Cor11:26] has everlasting life, and I will raise him up at the last day. (Jn6:39,54)

"..knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake
out of sleep;
for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. Let us
walk decently, as in the day...putting on the Lord Jesus Christ..
...redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
Romans 13:11-14~ Ephesians 5:16

From A Voice In The Wilderness
Free E-Mail Subscriptions: http://www.a-voice.org/mail

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the