Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:53:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What does your Bible look like?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: What does your Bible look like?
Looks nice - 2 (25%)
A few pages folded over - 2 (25%)
Loose pages - 0 (0%)
Falling apart - 3 (37.5%)
I need to get a new one - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What does your Bible look like?  (Read 4755 times)
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »

Thanks pastor,
I must be going blind, I hav'nt found anything that contradicts the word of God...
Thank you for your insight Brother...
Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »

Some of the pages in my Bible are wrinkled and folded, and I have no idea how that happened. I've tried to flatten out the pages, but they go back to the way they were. I no longer take it to church on Sunday since the pastor doesn't use the Old King James, and I don't like any other version as well. Of course, I can't find a southern Baptist church where the pastor uses the OKJ. Every northern Baptist church I went to used the OKJ. The closest I've seen to it here in Florida is the New King James, but it's hard to follow anything other than the OKJ version. I don't care to have to buy a version I wouldn't read and would only use at church. However, the person teaching on Wednesday evening does use the Old KJ.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 02:07:58 PM »

Well I've had my NIV Study Bible for 20+ years.  It has been all over the U. S. with me and back again.  I believe it is the only possesion that I have kept for that long of time.  I would love an amplified bible, but I can't cut loose of my much loved companion with all my notes and highlights in it.  Grin
It is still in extremely good shape with just a few scotch taped and wrinkled places in it.

Let us fight the good fight!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

Most of the posts here indicate that we have multiple Bibles we can use and Bibles that we might be keeping as family heirlooms. In short, we are RICH! There are places in the world where a person will risk their life in owning a single page of the Holy Bible.

My family does have some very old and beautiful Bibles that we care for and share. One of them is over 200 years old, and we keep it wrapped in plastic to protect it from moisture. It weighs about 40 pounds and has leather covers that are about 1/4 inch thick, not including other backing beneath the leather. The paper is beautiful parchment, and I don't know how to describe the unique and ornate printing. It has a large family section that has been full for a long time. Parts of the canvas and glue binding that holds the pages together has come loose, but the Bible is in overall good shape and complete.

We also have three study Bibles that were left to us by our dad. They were all the type with one page of Scripture and one page for notes. All of the note pages in all three Bibles are completely full, so these Bible are priceless to us. Again, we share them and plan to share them with our children.

One of the main points I want to make is how RICH we are in the possession of GODLY materials. Yet, I know that many of us take this for granted and don't know that we might have enough material in our house to make an entire village happy in other parts of the world. We should give thanks that we have the freedoms to possess and use these materials. We should always remember that Christians around the world are being beaten, imprisoned, and killed for attending a worship service. If you have just one complete Bible that you can use any time you wish, YOU ARE RICH!

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 1:1-5 NASB
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Isaiah 55:10-11 NASB
"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 11:16:15 PM »

Thanks pastor,
I must be going blind, I hav'nt found anything that contradicts the word of God...
Thank you for your insight Brother...

Hello Little Boy,

There are hundreds and probably thousands of books and manuscripts written that aren't part of the Bible. Some of the books and manuscripts agree with the Bible and some of the books and manuscripts have varying degrees of disagreement. What is and what is not part of the Old Testament was determined by Jews. They had an elaborate method of preserving what was then KNOWN to be INSPIRED BY GOD. Remember that the Holy Bible proves itself, and there are books written about how it was determined what belonged in the Bible and what didn't. The procedures used for the New Testament are similar and quite elaborate. There were councils of the time that heard testimony about books and manuscripts.

If you want to read the details, there are numerous books that describe how the Bible came to be. I've read a few, and it's really fascinating. There is considerable and beautiful material of the times that are true but not part of the Bible. Some were historical, and some even documented the life of CHRIST, but they aren't part of the Bible. The single biggest key is "Is it GOD'S WORD - HIS WORD for man - Inspired by GOD HIMSELF?" The procedures to determine this were lengthy and elaborate - rightfully so. These tasks were accomplished at the time and many times involved contemporaries of the writers who could offer testimony about the writing. Much of their work was recorded, so we can read about much of it still today. However, we are not contemporaries of the writers, so we don't have the same advantages as those who examined all of the evidence. The goal was to positively identify the WORD of GOD - not the word of men. GOD Himself has promised that HE will preserve HIS WORD forever, and HE has and will.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Hebrews 11:1-3 NASB
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 03:03:03 PM »

Hi Brother Tom,
I've read many of those books too... very fascinating!(reassures me nobody was able to mess it up)
Have you read the letter from Pontius Pilate to Ceasar about the cruxifiction?
I would like to make this very clear,even to the angels in Heaven that keep everything written down in the books that will be opened in the end:
NO other book in this world will ever influence or replace "the Gospel" in my life...
Praise be to God,
Love Duane

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 01:51:51 AM »

Hello Littleboy,

Brother Duane, I'll have to be honest and say that I've read so much material that I can't remember. I'll also have to say that my memory isn't very good these days. I'm not senile though - (small print - as far as I know).   Wink  I'll quickly agree with you that the Bible is my most important book to study and what I spend most of my time with. I have at least 10,000 resources just on my computer, and over 4,000 of them are used with the e-Sword Bible Study Package. I also come from a family full of pastors and missionaries. Our hard-copy library is so large that we keep it at the church and let people check some of them in and out. Some are very old and fragile, so those have to be studied in the library.

This is an example of how rich we are in GODLY materials. When I say "we", I'm talking about average Christians in this part of the world having access to more material than they will ever be able to properly study. In fact, just the Bible would take several lifetimes to properly study. I try to study the Bible, and I usually just skim other materials unless they are really good and on the topic of what I'm studying in the Bible. I'm retired and a stay at home, so I enjoy Bible study every day.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 4:4-6 NASB
There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

Def

My Father, it is me your daughter, in Jesus.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »

Hello Littleboy,

Brother Duane, I'll have to be honest and say that I've read so much material that I can't remember. I'll also have to say that my memory isn't very good these days. I'm not senile though - (small print - as far as I know).   Wink  I'll quickly agree with you that the Bible is my most important book to study and what I spend most of my time with. I have at least 10,000 resources just on my computer, and over 4,000 of them are used with the e-Sword Bible Study Package. I also come from a family full of pastors and missionaries. Our hard-copy library is so large that we keep it at the church and let people check some of them in and out. Some are very old and fragile, so those have to be studied in the library.

This is an example of how rich we are in GODLY materials. When I say "we", I'm talking about average Christians in this part of the world having access to more material than they will ever be able to properly study. In fact, just the Bible would take several lifetimes to properly study. I try to study the Bible, and I usually just skim other materials unless they are really good and on the topic of what I'm studying in the Bible. I'm retired and a stay at home, so I enjoy Bible study every day.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 4:4-6 NASB
There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
Hi tom.Well i got my first bible that was given to me  from the salvation army. 1983 if i remember right   i was then 43 years of age and had love God all my life but in the religion i was born in it was illegal to read the bible.. But God had his plan for me..
in 1 Corinthians 8 :3  God does not lie( He had searched my heart and saw my love for Him.) and when It was my turn to learn all about Him and the loved He had for me, He toke the veil off  of my face ..from 1983 slowly i was taken in by the Spirit.
in the year 1998 when I was floor by a explosion i put all my attention toward the word of God.It was a hard hard journey.it is still hard cause it is new every day. John 6:65 came clear to me  and then John 3:16 in 2004
to take to John 14:6   I believe that Jesus Christ is all in all in heaven and on earth.the head of the body of the Church of God and i am His bride.and that He is coming very soon..
Tom to answers the question I study with  the KJV_NKJV_NASB_and in french the version of Louis Segond.it is the same as KJV and they are all around my house and theire is one open on my kitchen table on a special stand cause most of the time i listen to cassettes or dvd and go look what take my attention .by the grace of God the spirit lead me to record the word with my own voice the old and the new in 1984 when i told God I never read your word and i am not rich but I will read your word and record it at the same time and make me understand what you want me to understand when I come face to face with you i will be your fault it i dint understand.. well I still got the first recording(150 cassette of 30 minutes then...
in 2005 -to 2007 i recorded the new testament that i bough at the bible store 17 time and I gave them away with discernment. I still have 4 to give away. for i wait to see if they are interested in the word .i give them away with a bible that goes with it..
i star a new bible almost every year cause it is never the same  understanding it is always a new light..well tom sorry it toke so long..Love in Jesus Def Smiley  Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.( Romans 10:17 NKJ)
Come Lord Jesus come.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 06:31:18 PM by Def » Logged

But to us There Is But one God,  the  Father, of  whom  Are  all  things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom Are all things and we by Him(1Cor 8:6  KJV)
I believe that Jesus died for my sins  was buried rose again and is sitting at the right hand of God Almighty interceding for me Amen
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the