Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:12:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286816 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Mini chat room
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mini chat room  (Read 4011 times)
Reba
« on: February 22, 2004, 10:18:02 PM »

Any chance for a  mini chat room or  what is sometimes called a shout line?  

I have no idea about what it takes to have such a thing if i am wayout  please forgive...
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 12:29:14 AM »

Any chance for a  mini chat room or  what is sometimes called a shout line?  

I have no idea about what it takes to have such a thing if i am wayout  please forgive...

Oklahoma Howdy to Reba,

I think this is possible with the software installed on Christians Unite, but these are usually viewed as very dangerous. On the current system, anyone can push the moderator key on an offensive message, and ADMIN and I both get an Email from the Christians Unite Server. I might add this really helps because some trolls have posted series of real nasty or vulgar messages. If we are lucky, ADMIN or I might be on when this happens and get the report immediately or see it ourselves. If we are sleeping or away from the computer, one of these moderator messages might sit in the in-box for several hours or more.

The chat line is live and everyone using it would get whatever the troll posted immediately, including pictures or whatever. Some examples of previous pictures or whatever are almost beyond belief. Several hours of something like this live would be very destructive and might even cause legal action to be brought against Christians Unite. People do let their children use CU, so this would be a major concern, especially on something live that might not be stopped for hours.

I can ask ADMIN, but I think he would smack me in the chops.   Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

Reba
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 12:56:02 AM »

OK BEP your the boss

Thanks for the quick reply.   Yup ADMIN showed up today in a timely fashion Smiley so i understand. feel free to  wipe this thread complete out  Grin
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 06:50:35 AM »

Very much too bad....THAT would have been interesting.

....probably even had an iggy button in that software sigh

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 11:01:34 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Reba & Gracey,

There is an alternative that wouldn't be bad at all. There are many freeware chat programs that accomplish what you are talking about, but they are completely controled by you. I've got one, but I haven't done much with it. If you look in your profile area, you will see many choices for listing various chat programs (i.e. ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, AOL, etc.). I know they do work, and they are fairly easy to use. Most of the newer ones have pretty good security measures that you can set to avoid many problems.

The advantages of the separate chat program are numerous. You have your own control panel that allows you to either allow a connection with your chat program or ignore it. If someone starts doing something bad, you hit the control panel and turn them off. In fact, you could turn that particular person off permanently if you wanted to. Only the people you accepted a connection with would be on your chat screen.

I opted to try Trillian because it is compatible with all of the other chat programs. They have a free one that does most everything and one with a few more features for a reasonable price. I'm a complete beginner trying to use chat programs, but they really are easy. You can use them to set the correct time on your computer, get the weather report for your specific area, get stock prices, and all kinds of other things. I have used the time and weather functions, and they work perfectly.

A group of CU users could easily organize their own chat and not have any of the problems associated with a chat area run on the server. If folks want to try this, I can post some links and reviews of various chat programs.

So, this is not a dead idea or issue. I like the idea of the individual user being in complete control of what they see or don't see on their screen. You make a list (buddy list) of people you want to chat with. If both of you have your chat program running in the background, a small notice comes up they are online. From there, you can click there name, and your chat program asks them for a connection. If they see it and click yes, you are in chat mode. I've not done it, but I understand you can have as many as you wish in chat.

Love In Christ,
Tom

NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 08:56:24 AM »

Ooooh, I would love a mini chat room here or somewhere with the ppl from CU. Smiley As I know I ramble too much as it is, but if thats my only flaw, lol Smiley
Hope the idea gets going & have one in the near Smiley

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
aliesh
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 05:22:18 PM »

That was a good idea.  Cheesy I'm sure it won't stop us communicating tho   Grin
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 05:47:13 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I have my chat program hooked up and ready to go. Now, all I have to do is learn how to use it. I got a multi-chat program and have AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ. One of you needs to holler at me some time and let me see if it works. By the way, there is a free version of Trillian, and all of the accounts are free also. The Trillian program even makes the connections for you and helps you get the accounts. If an old geezer like me can do it, I'm sure all of you young and smart folks can get it done.

Love In Christ,
Tom

TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 07:15:18 AM »

hi Tom,, lisen on my msn group soulful Enlightment,, we have a chat area on there that ONLY the members can have access to , theres no way possible that anyone else could get into it (otehr then hacking) but like the example u gave at beginning is true fora open chat liine but im wondering if there can be a just for members of CU chat room,,installed, on the msn one (and i realise it might not be exactly the same but just for examples) you can see who all is in there and its just like the instant messaging as on msn or yahoo conferencing.. but its  for everyone thats a member.. maybe there could be something like that installed on CU? another forum that some of us used to be on bible chappel had a members only chat room as well. just an idea? It would be really cool to be able to chat conferencing with members!
just adding my 2 cents worth
 Grin Tiger...

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 12:57:00 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Tigerlily,

Sister, I think that I might know what you are talking about. All of that chat stuff is pretty new for me. Maybe there would be some sort of way to establish a CU chat room without some of the problems that I've read about. Maybe it could be reserved in some way for established and trusted users of Christians Unite. I might be able to see it if the user was not new and we had some reasonable thought that person would not be cursing or flooding the chat room with dirty pictures, etc. That's a good idea. Let me think about that some and see what the CU forum software is capable of doing.

What do you think about the established user idea?

Love In Christ,
Tom

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 04:00:02 PM »

I've been speending a lot of time on another Christian board they have a chat room system I chat sofar they don't seen to heve trouble with trolls in chat and very little on the boards. I don't know how they don't.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 11:07:28 PM »

I've been speending a lot of time on another Christian board they have a chat room system I chat sofar they don't seen to heve trouble with trolls in chat and very little on the boards. I don't know how they don't.

Hello Brother Forrest,

Do you know if it was limited to text only without links, URLs, and pictures? If so, I might know what they did. It's not that difficult with the right software to filter out gutter language and maybe even automatically notify the moderator or the webmaster about the person trying to use that language. It's impossible to design a filter that catches everything.

I've played a little bit with the separate chat program I told everyone about, and it works great. I haven't gotten very fast with it yet, but it seems to be pretty easy, and a considerable number of users at once does not appear to be a problem. I'll do some more checking and get back with you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the