Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:18:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286812 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  TONGUES - A SIGN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TONGUES - A SIGN  (Read 11808 times)
GKB

MY GREATEST SEEK, IS TO KNOW JESUS MORE

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 08:22:55 PM »

bep,

i hear and i agree, i'm just not completely clear on what point you are making. please clearify for me. you did say you wasn't sure if it related or not, but still, what were you feeling whan you said to yourself, let me share this? what about it hit you?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2005, 11:46:41 PM »

bep,

i hear and i agree, i'm just not completely clear on what point you are making. please clearify for me. you did say you wasn't sure if it related or not, but still, what were you feeling whan you said to yourself, let me share this? what about it hit you?

Hello GKB,

The point was that there are some very simply TRUTHS for Christians that are much more important than tongues. Christians do have the Holy Spirit of God living in their hearts, and that FACT is much more important than whether tongues are still a gift today or not. The SEAL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT on our hearts is proof we are Saved. The Holy Bible also describes this Holy Seal as a pledge of the eternal Promises of God. Quite bluntly, this is a thousand times more important than tongues. So, I wasn't saying anything for or against tongues, rather about something that is much more important. I already stated my opinion about tongues in another post, but I'm saying in this one that Salvation is what really matters, not tongues.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 10:8-10 NASB  But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

GKB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 03:16:52 AM »

Hey BEP,

praise the lord. all of gods truths matter. many people aare confessing the holy spirit, and they have no power or evidence. i'm not judging those people, i just will not lie to them and tell them they're ok the way they are. you must be baptized, in jesus name, and filled with the holy spirit. its time out for having church people teach us church doctrine...scripture after scripture and still have not heard, the pharasees were very good at that...it doesn't move me. i do not need a religion, i need a relationship with god. relationship will always take you deeper than religion. what can be more important than the things of god? i didn't start this topic, i just responded. i do not really expect people to celebrate and agree with me, but thats the price i'll have to pay to "cry loud and spare not"! you will not find many to agree with what they have not yet not found. of course those people who claim to know god and to be religious scholars won't agree with a gift they haven't embraced. but glory be to god for whatever gifts they have embraced, we are one body....god bless you all!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 06:55:21 AM by GKB » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 11:38:03 AM »

Hey BEP,

praise the lord. all of gods truths matter. many people aare confessing the holy spirit, and they have no power or evidence. i'm not judging those people, i just will not lie to them and tell them they're ok the way they are. you must be baptized, in jesus name, and filled with the holy spirit. its time out for having church people teach us church doctrine...scripture after scripture and still have not heard, the pharasees were very good at that...it doesn't move me. i do not need a religion, i need a relationship with god. relationship will always take you deeper than religion. what can be more important than the things of god? i didn't start this topic, i just responded. i do not really expect people to celebrate and agree with me, but thats the price i'll have to pay to "cry loud and spare not"! you will not find many to agree with what they have not yet not found. of course those people who claim to know god and to be religious scholars won't agree with a gift they haven't embraced. but glory be to god for whatever gifts they have embraced, we are one body....god bless you all!

Hello GKB,

You seem to be telling us that if we don't speak in tongues that we have no power, no evidence, and are like Pharisees. That's certainly the way that I read your post, and you would be quite wrong.

Real or false, speaking in tongues was a matter of pride, vanity, disruption in the church, and division in the days of the Apostle Paul. It appears that nothing has changed in 2,000 years. I would simply say that tongues are nothing in comparison to what the Holy Spirit of God can and does give the children of God. The best things are the quiet and Holy things of GOD that do not relate to the pride and vanity of men.

I, for one, have no desire at all to speak in tongues, play with snakes, drink poison, etc., etc. God has already given me many things that are 1,000 times more important. The list is lengthy, and I give all Glory to God. If I Glory or Boast in anything, it will be in JESUS.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Hebrews 7:18-19 NASB  For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

GKB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 09:04:23 PM »

how could you dare say that speaking in tongues is a sin? (pride is a sin correct?) how did your research lead you to that truth? please, please be careful brother, not to enter into blasphemy. you do not think its strange that as a child of god you do not have a desire for, or even look down on one or any of gods gifts to the point where you have wrote it off as a prideful gift? who do you think you are, really? if god hasn't written it off, how dare you. but i see this level of learning has gone in a terrible direction, so as not to cause you to get yourself into trouble with god, i'll be very careful how i make my points and use wisdom to only give you what you can handle.. god bless you my brother.

it would be a terrible shame to spend years in church, and never know god for real. not saying that if you haven't spoke in tongues you don't know god for real, but saying how can a common man, human, FLESH, denounce any of gods gifting and write it off as a sin to be blessed with a spiritual gift? dangerous...VERY DANGEROUS. on those things that you know nothing about, it would do you better not to speak on. please note that i love you in jesus name....to god be the glory for the things that he has done. there are many gifts, tongues is one of them and i dare not be so bold as to start trying to teach god...i'd rather be the student here. humble yourself and harden not your heart...you are in very dangerous territory and it would serve you well not speak on those things that god hasn't released to your understanding.

don't be angry if i wash his feet with my tears, and i dry them with my hair. author=blackeyedpealink=board=7;threadid=9383;start=30#msg117616 date=1135874283]
Hey BEP,

Hello GKB,

You seem to be telling us that if we don't speak in tongues that we have no power, no evidence, and are like Pharisees. That's certainly the way that I read your post, and you would be quite wrong.

Real or false, speaking in tongues was a matter of pride, vanity, disruption in the church, and division in the days of the Apostle Paul. It appears that nothing has changed in 2,000 years. I would simply say that tongues are nothing in comparison to what the Holy Spirit of God can and does give the children of God. The best things are the quiet and Holy things of GOD that do not relate to the pride and vanity of men.

I, for one, have no desire at all to speak in tongues, play with snakes, drink poison, etc., etc. God has already given me many things that are 1,000 times more important. The list is lengthy, and I give all Glory to God. If I Glory or Boast in anything, it will be in JESUS.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Hebrews 7:18-19 NASB  For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 09:18:55 PM »

how could you dare say that speaking in tongues is a sin? (pride is a sin correct?) how did your research lead you to that truth? please, please be careful brother, not to enter into blasphemy. you do not think its strange that as a child of god you do not have a desire for, or even look down on one or any of gods gifts to the point where you have wrote it off as a prideful gift? who do you think you are, really? if god hasn't written it off, how dare you. but i see this level of learning has gone in a terrible direction, so as not to cause you to get yourself into trouble with god, i'll be very careful how i make my points and use wisdom to only give you what you can handle.. god bless you my brother.

it would be a terrible shame to spend years in church, and never know god for real. not saying that if you haven't spoke in tongues you don't know god for real, but saying how can a common man, human, FLESH, denounce any of gods gifting and write it off as a sin to be blessed with a spiritual gift? dangerous...VERY DANGEROUS. on those things that you know nothing about, it would do you better not to speak on. please note that i love you in jesus name....to god be the glory for the things that he has done. there are many gifts, tongues is one of them and i dare not be so bold as to start trying to teach god...i'd rather be the student here. humble yourself and harden not your heart...you are in very dangerous territory and it would serve you well not speak on those things that god hasn't released to your understanding.

don't be angry if i wash his feet with my tears, and i dry them with my hair.  

author=blackeyedpealink=board=7;threadid=9383;start=30#msg117616 date=1135874283]
Hey BEP,

Hello GKB,

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 09:52:13 PM »

GKB,

i'll be very careful how i make my points and use wisdom to only give you what you can handle

Such statements as this shows where your pride is and it makes one think that it is not in the word or power of God but rather in yourself making such harsh judgements of another. I warn you GKB to be careful of such judgements of others. This is also considered a direct attack on another and such attacks here on CU will not be tolerated. It also shows a direct lack of understanding of Gods (not gods) word.

Speaking in tongues is definitely a gift from God but it is not the most important one. I suggest that you do a very close study on 1 Co 14 on this subject. It is more important for us to have understanding and above all charity. Is it not more important for unbelievers to be able to understand Gods word than to wonder if those speaking in tongues are all out of their minds? To many people put their pride into showing off in front of others with their use of tongues, seeking this gift while putting aside the seeking of understanding and that of charity. That is where the pride comes in.

1Co 14:14  For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

1Co 14:19  Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
1Co 14:20  Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
1Co 14:21  In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
1Co 14:22  Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
1Co 14:23  If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
1Co 14:24  But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Reba
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 10:13:33 PM »

No one on the planet earth is speaking in the Biblical gift of tongues.  Not one person, yet there are thousands of persons who are claiming that they do speak in tongues.  What is happening?  What is going on?

The Biblical gift of tongues was the ability to speak in a known foreign language without any prior training for the purpose of evangelizing the lost.  No one is speaking in a foreign language without training today!

What about the baptism of the Holy Spirit?  Every believer has the baptism of the Holy Spirit at the moment they trust the Lord as their Saviour.  I Corinthians 12:13 says, "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond for free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."  According to this verse, the baptism of the Spirit is the act of God whereby we are placed into the body of Christ.  I Corinthians 12:27 goes on to say, "Now you are the body of Christ, and members in particular."  If you are not in the body of Christ, you are not saved.  The baptism of the Spirit is the means by which we are placed into Christ's body.  All believers have the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Before tongues ceased (I Corinthians 12:30), only a few spoke in tongues even when the gift was operative.

Pentecost will never be repeated, nor can it be.  Pentecost will not be repeated anymore than Calvary will be repeated.  The word Pentecost means fifty days.  It occurred fifty days after the resurrection of Christ.  We are now nearly 700,000 days since the resurrection.

On the day of Pentecost, Acts 2:5-8 records, "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.  And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galileans?  And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

"Dialektos" is the Greek word translated language (Acts 2:6) and tongues (Acts 2:Cool.  This Greek word refers to more than a specific language.  It refers to the very dialect of the language.  For example, there are many dialects of the English language.  If you were to visit Plains, Georgia, you would hear one dialect of English.  If you were to visit the Carolina's, you would hear one dialect of English.  Now, how about Brooklyn, New York, or what about Boston, Mass.?  Each has a distinct dialect.  Then if you were to visit England, you would find a totally different dialect of English, yet the British are speaking English, aren't they?

Let's imagine what happened at Pentecost, and let's say that you were there.  Let's say that you were born in Plains, Georgia.  You know, and everyone else knows, that few folks on the earth speak that brand (dialect) of English.  You are in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost.  A Jew approaches you.  He is uneducated and has been raised around Galilee.  He is a fisherman and has never traveled out of Israel.  All of a sudden he speaks to you in Plains, Georgia English.  You would have to admit this is a miracle.  This Jew sounds just as though he was raised next to Jimmy Carter.  It must feel great to be in a foreign country and hear someone who sounds like they are from back home.  This Jew then gives you the gospel message in your native tongue.  Friend, that is what happened at Pentecost.

Acts 2:5 says, Jews from every nation were visiting Jerusalem.  Acts 2:6 says that these foreigners heard the gospel in the dialect of the language wherein they were born.

Why did God give the tongues (known foreign language) gift?  In I Corinthians 14:21 we read, "In the law it is written, with men of other tongues and other lips will I speak to this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord."  Isaiah had predicted that God would turn to the Gentiles during this age, after the rejection of Christ, and that He would give the gospel to the Jews in Gentile languages.  At Pentecost this required a miracle.  To witness to these foreign born Jews in a Gentile language required that God give them that language dialect on the spot.

As the gospel went to the Gentile nations the gift became unnecessary.  For example, I witness to Jewish people in the Gentile tongue of English.  German Christians witness to Jews in their country in German.  French Christians witness to Jews in their country in French and so on.  I think it would be rare indeed if any Jew on the earth today heard the Gospel in Hebrew.  They are hearing it in Gentile languages just like Isaiah prophesied.  I love to make it a point to tell Jewish people that I am fulfilling prophecy by telling them of their Messiah in a Gentile language.  It is exciting!

Tongues are for reaching the lost!  I Corinthians 14:22 says, "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:"

Tongues were to be easily understood.  I Corinthians 14:9 says, "So likewise you, except you utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken?  For you speak into the air."

The gibberish that is being done today is not the Biblical gift of tongues.  The Pentecostals, Baptists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists, Roman Catholics, and others are doing this gibberish.  People of world religions also do it, such as the Buddhists and the Mohammedans.  It is done by the cults, like the Mormons.  It is done by the occult.  A medium in a satanic seance will break into the same unintelligible speech described above!

The Biblical gift of tongues has ceased (I Corinthians 13:8-10) and is not present today!  What we are seeing is a sign of the return of Christ.  Jesus said, "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs, and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect (Matthew 24:24)."

Tongues are a sign that Christ is coming.  Beware of the deception!  Watch for the soon coming Jesus Christ.

No one on the planet earth is speaking in the Biblical gift of tongues.  Not one person, yet there are thousands of persons who are claiming that they do speak in tongues.  What is happening?  What is going on?

That is a very broad statement to make. Are you in every nuke and cranny of the earth to hear? If you were riding on a bus and the guys in the seat in front of you were talking in a language foreign to you how would you know it was not foreign to one of them?

Prove to me your statement is true..... Dont bother to quote

1 Cor 13:8

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
KJV

Because then i will challenge you to prove what you know not what you believe but what you know to be a fact etc.. Your opening statement was stated as a fact not as a belief so please respond as to how you obtained this fact  etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:29:06 PM by Reba » Logged
Reba
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 10:27:34 PM »

I will be 60 years old this coming year.... most of that 60 years has been spent in  Pentecostal churches. what i have read here from some of the tongue talkers is the phoniness i have know all those years...self-righteous pious and bigoted.

If asked  i would say both of my Grandmothers are with Jesus...

One was mean and grumpy Christian a tongue talker who talked about every one..... The other a kind Christ like women who loved the Lord and served others. If she spoke in tongues it was privet and not about bragging rights.

Heavenly language is not a scriptural term.
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »

pastor roger,

you have received my response wrong. how could me saying that because of love and peace, i will use greater wisdom in my responses be indication to you that i am being judgemental, and no longer qualify to reply on cu. i thought that it was ok to disagree, as long as we're not disagreeable. these messages that i have given are given in love...even if you do not receive them this way, thats the way they are given. with all that was said, it amazes me that this is the only point that you responded to.

when ever we are being stretched, there is some uncomfortability. we shouldn't become angry and focus on the one thing that we were able to find flaw in, but rather we should focus on that part that challenges us to growth.

i ask you to please do not ban my statements if they are not in absolute agreemnet with yours. somebody may be blessed by them, even if its not you. nothing i have said is demonic, and i certainly haven't denounced jesus, so lets learn, love, and grow together.

once again there are some wonderful things that i have learned from all of you here....so i do appreciate you all, please do not misinterpret that....love always in jesus name!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »

pastor roger,

you have received my response wrong. how could me saying that because of love and peace, i will use greater wisdom in my responses be indication to you that i am being judgemental, and no longer qualify to reply on cu. i thought that it was ok to disagree, as long as we're not disagreeable. these messages that i have given are given in love...even if you do not receive them this way, thats the way they are given. with all that was said, it amazes me that this is the only point that you responded to.

when ever we are being stretched, there is some uncomfortability. we shouldn't become angry and focus on the one thing that we were able to find flaw in, but rather we should focus on that part that challenges us to growth.

i ask you to please do not ban my statements if they are not in absolute agreemnet with yours. somebody may be blessed by them, even if its not you. nothing i have said is demonic, and i certainly haven't denounced jesus, so lets learn, love, and grow together.

once again there are some wonderful things that i have learned from all of you here....so i do appreciate you all, please do not misinterpret that....love always in jesus name!

There was no misunderstanding your statement that you were showing wisdom and that you were saying that Brother Tom (blackeyedpeas) did not have that wisdom. No matter how you twist it or try to soften it with the words "in love" that was the jist of your statement towards him.

As for the rest of my post it had nothing to do with that and was a response to your other points. A matter of being able to understand the written word.

One more point .... I did not say that you no longer qualify to respond on CU.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:21:40 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005, 11:34:02 PM »

god bless you pastor roger in jesus name! i'll use the wisdom thats available to me, and you use the wisdom that is available to you....doesn't mean you do not have wisdom, it means there are different levels of wisdom. i'm not saying mine is greater or his, i'm just saying that i'll use that which has been given to me. nothing was twisted, i have no need for that for i am backed by the holy spirit. so if i was to explian a point to clarify so that we as brother can have greater understanding, it shouldn'e be attacked....thats what i'm saying here....instead of receieving that post in the love it was given, you became affended, than you started judging and saying things that are a direct attack against my character, so who's going to regulate you?

i am not against you brother, we have a common purpose...to spread the gospel of jesus, not of man! and rather you agree or not, that is done in love! how, by the way, can you twist love?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:43:57 PM by GKB » Logged
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2005, 11:35:30 PM »

reba, trinity is not a scriptural term, but many use it frequently!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2005, 11:44:22 PM »

don't be angry if i wash his feet with my tears, and i dry them with my hair. author=blackeyedpealink=board=7;threadid=9383;start=30#msg117616 date=1135874283]
Hey BEP,

Hello GKB,

Love In Christ,
Tom

GKB,

Huh   Roll Eyes

I've said what I said, I meant it, and I would say it again, so just read my previous post again. I have no concern at all that GOD will be displeased with anything I said. How about you? I'll move this thread now to the debate section. Anyone who wishes can join you there and continue this discussion. I'm not interested.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 02:01:44 AM »

how could you dare say that speaking in tongues is a sin? (pride is a sin correct?) how did your research lead you to that truth? please, please be careful brother, not to enter into blasphemy.

I think you need to read bep's post again.

No where in his post did, bep's post did he say, speaking in tongues is a sin.
What you have done, is to read something in a post, not there.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Isaiah 5:3 And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, between Me and My vineyard [My people, says the Lord].

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the