Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  To Be Baptised - True Meaning.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To Be Baptised - True Meaning.  (Read 3820 times)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 03:37:19 PM »

I truly believe that if the person accepted Christ and they died before they were able to get baptized that they would go to heaven.  

A few questions...

1 Corinthians 1
17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

I understand the context of this verse however if Baptism is necessary to our salvation then why would he have said this???  I have asked many people this question and no one can give me a straight answer.

Pauls message is that the preaching of the Gospel is bigger than and more important than one aspect of it.  Baptism after all is just one aspect of all the things we are taught to do to obey the Gospel.  It was just a better use of his time to preach than to baptize, just as Jesus didn't baptize but had his Apostles baptize.

Also, another question if you don't mind is if you have to be baptized to be saved why did the Holy Sprit pour out onto the Gentiles in Acts 10:44-46 before they were baptized??
44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues[2] and praising God.

Well just because they had the Holy Spirit does not mean they were saved in a final absolute sense - what they had was initial salvation.  But Salvation is a process that we must continue in and endure until the end when it is determined at judgement day.  What is more interesting is if Baptism is not needed then why did Peter perform it even after the people had already received the Holy Spirit?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 03:38:03 PM by michael_legna » Logged

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 12:24:43 AM »

I want to clarify something here.  I do believe we are suppose to baptize with water by the way.  My comments about John 3:5 are in no way trying to prove that baptism shouldn't be done in water.  To be honest I go back and forth with friends of mine for the Church of Christ and they look at John 3:5 and believe that the scripture is stating that unless you are baptized you will not enter the Kingdom of God.  Anyway, just wanted to clarify.   Grin

That is baptismal regeneration.
While I believe that baptism is important and should be done, it is not essential to Salvation.

I can understand how you would not necessarily believe that it is the cause of salvation, but it sure seems to be essential unless oyu can come up with another meaning for the word "except" in John 3:5.

If someone excepts Christ as their Lord and Saviour and suddenly dies before being able to be baptized will they go to Heaven?

Yes just as the thief on the cross did.  It is called baptism of desire.  The act is not the issue the intent is.

For the life of me I can't figure out why someone would choose not to be baptized. However, there are Christians like that.
Would you say that they are saved or not?

BTW- my church teaches baptismal regeneration. It's the only area of my church's doctrine that I disagree with. Actually- my church is divided on that issue so we've pretty much made it a non-issue.
One lady in our church said that she'd been saved for more than 30 years but she didn't want to get baptized because she was afraid of going under water.
The pastor asked her which she was more afraid of doing:
a) going under water
b) explaining to God why she wasn't baptized.
She was the first one in the baptistry the next Sunday.  Grin

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 04:30:44 AM »

Amanda,

I agree that faith without works is dead.  The works we do here on this earth do not save us.  The only thing that saves is God's Grace.  
James 2:26 states that faith without works is dead.  I totally agree.  When one has true faith in Christ their lives will show good deeds.  They do not do the good deeds because that is what saves them, they do it out of love for God

I agree with you.  Grin

Pleas let us know what your GOOD WORKS are Ted_Tar

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2004, 06:59:11 AM »

Posted by: Brother Love  Posted on: Today at 04:30:44am  
Quote from: Ted_Tar on July 08, 2004, 10:57:26 AM
Amanda,

Quote:
I agree that faith without works is dead.  The works we do here on this earth do not save us.  The only thing that saves is God's Grace.  
James 2:26 states that faith without works is dead.  I totally agree.  When one has true faith in Christ their lives will show good deeds.  They do not do the good deeds because that is what saves them, they do it out of love for God

I agree with you.  

Brother Love

<Smiley))><  

Why?  Huh

Is it not up to God to look into the hearts of men?

†† Guided by God ††
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 07:22:37 AM »

Posted by: Brother Love  Posted on: Today at 04:30:44am  
Quote from: Ted_Tar on July 08, 2004, 10:57:26 AM
Amanda,

Quote:

I agree with you.  

Brother Love

<Smiley))><  

Why?  Huh

Is it not up to God to look into the hearts of men?

WHY NOT?Huh? Shocked

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2004, 07:46:23 AM »

WHY NOT?Huh?

Because it is none of anyone's business except Christ's and the person involved. Our God sees all that we do.

...be careful lest you be entertaining angels unawares

Heb 13:2  Do not be forgetful of hospitality, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.

I'm sorry, I just didn't see the point to the question. Yes, I am aware that he posted some very short and negative comments all over the forum. As a believer our behaviour reflects not only on us, but on Christ. Do we lower ourselves, or do we raise up Christ?

blessings
Gracey †

†† Guided by God ††
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the