Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286820 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Versions of the 23rd Psalm first line
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Versions of the 23rd Psalm first line  (Read 6164 times)
Mick

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2004, 08:22:33 PM »

Hardly an exhaustive study of different versions,this brief summary of how various Bible translations present the first line of the 23rd Psalm is of some interest:-

"The Lord is my shepherd,I shall not want"  (King James/New American Standard Bible/English Standard Version/New King James/21st-Century King James)

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want" (New Intnl Version/New Intnl Version-UK)

"God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing" (The Message)

"The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack" (Amplified Bible)

"The Lord is my shepherd;I have everything I need" (New Living Translation)

"The Lord is my Shepherd. I will have everything I need" (New Life Version)

"You, Lord, are my shepherd.I will never be in need" (Contemporary English Version)

"Jehovah is my shepherd; I shall not want" (American Standard Version/Darby Translation)

"Jehovah [is] my shepherd, I do not lack" (Youngs Literal Translation)
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 12:58:57 AM »

"The Lord is my shepherd; I lack for nothing"  - Revised English Bible
"Yahweh is my shepherd, I lack nothing" - New Jerusalem Bible
"The Lord is my shepherd : therefore can I lack nothing" - BCP (1662), Common Worship, APBA

And the point is?

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 06:17:12 AM »

I presume the point ebia is to show the superiority of the Authorised version.

" Ps 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. "
Amen

Whatever could surpass that ?    Smiley

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 06:20:48 AM »

Sorry - I don't equate familiarity with quality.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 06:26:01 AM »

Don't be sorry ebia.  It's not your fault if you can't recognize "gold."    Smiley

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
Mick

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 10:46:58 AM »

No big deal,I presented the comparisons just for interests sake,not to try to show any versions superiority.
The fact is,although the KJV's fearlessness makes it my favourite,I do also look at other versions now and again just to get an interesting new angle on a particular verse or passage:)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 10:47:32 AM »

Don't be sorry ebia.  It's not your fault if you can't recognize "gold."    Smiley

The Word of God is gold, but when fallible man gets involved translations can prone to error.

Question: Do you know who said these quotes?

"doth not a margin do well to admonish the Reader to seek further, and not to conclude or dogmatize upon this or that peremptorily?"

"For is the kingdom of God to become words or syllables? Why should we be in bondage to them if we may be free, use one precisely when we may use another no less fit, as commodiously?"

"Therefore as S. Augustine saith, that variety of Translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures:"

"They that are wise, had rather have their judgments at liberty in differences of readings, than to be captivated to one, when it may be the other."

The answer: the KJV translators.  They recognized that their translation was not perfect nor should it be used to the exclsuion of all else.

A little history of the how the KJV came into existance should show you just how prone to error it could be, since it is not even based on the original language documents as so many claim.

Erasmus laid the foundation of the Textus Receptus (TR) through 4 editions and he used about 6 (or so) different manuscripts...including the Vulgate (this was for the last part of Revelation and some other sporatic uses...but not whole books).

Erasmus started what would be the TR and he died in 1535 after publishing the 4th edition. Robert Estienne used these as the basis of his last two editions and Beza used these as the foundation for his translation. Then (finally) in 1604...the 47 biblical scholar sat down and started the translation ...based on 4 massorec texts for the OT and Stephanus'(Estienne) 3rd Edition for the NT. Elzevir's text is really called the Received Text, but they are so much alike that either one can be called the RT/TR.

So...although the KJV was not translated from the "TR"...it was (in way) because the latter text differs only slightly from the 3rd Byzantine edition of Estienne.

Just checked on his use of the Vulgate and it was only in the last 6 verses of Revelation.  What happened was he only had one manuscript in which to translate Revelation from...so he translated the passage from the Vulgate...which was pretty silly (and he took a lot of criticism)...but he did a real good job.

The only real explanation is that Erasmus used about 6 different texts and that on occasion...he followed the flow of the Latin...and he incorporated the Latin into his texts (like Acts 8/9). When Stephanus build upon his work... he kept it (and likewise Beza and the Elzevir brothers). Of course... a lot of the translations from the Latin that are included are not listed in the majority texts...but then you get into the infinite argument of "which is right...the TR or the majority"...and that could go on forever. However...the gospel really does not change b/w these texts and no doctrine is undermined because of a better translation of the same word...or another word all together.

The following is a timeline of man’s development of the TR.

Erasmus editions: 1516, 1519, 1522, 1527 and 1535

Robert Estienne editions: 1546, 1549, 1550 and 1551; Estiennes's 1550 edition was a compilation of Erasmsus's 1527 and 1535 (mostly) editions.

Beza published 9 editions and he used a lot of different manuscripts, along with the Latin Vulgate (hence your previous question)

The Elzevir Bros had 3 (I think) with the 1633 edition coining the phrase TR.

Then the KJV translators took Estiennes's 1550 and 1551 editions, along with Beza's 1598 edition...and translate the KJV.

In conclusion it goes like this - Erasmus' 1527&1535 > Estienne's 1550&1551 > Beza's 1598 > The KJV ...then the Elzevir Brothers 1633 edition (a basic copy of the 1550 edition of Esteinne) is coined as the TR.

On top ofthis there are many well known errors in the Authorized Version, such as Jesus and the Disciples plucking ears of corn, when corn wasn't brought from the Americas for another 1500 years.  Another error is the doxology at the end of the Our Father which modern scholars all agree with the position the Catholic Church has always held that it was added by some scribe along the way.

No the KJV is not an inspired translation, it did not fall from heaven fully bound and with gold edged pages - it is just another translation, useful with all the others but not necessarily superior.

We are actually lucky to be living in a day and age when there are many translations and reference tools with which to study the scriptures even in their original languages.  It is a blessing to have other translations not a curse.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 11:11:59 AM »

Well I did say it to get a reaction michael_legna and you kindly obliged.  I was the same as you when I was a young Christian [ah! those were the days] but now when I have learned more sense I realize my error.  Smiley  I could quote sites that say that all modern translations are the work of the devil and they are prepared to advance arguments to that effect; but in my opinion that is a little extreme.  However the Authorised version is the one that sticks in peoples' minds and that is why I use it.  In an age when there has never been such a preponderance of bibles there has never been such a gross misinterpretation of scripture.

God Bless

If it was good enough for St Paul—it's good enough for me.  Just in case you are tempted to rise to the bait again—that was an old joke.   LOL

Alice folded her hands, and began: --

1    "You are old, father William," the young man said,
              2    "And your hair has become very white;
              3    And yet you incessantly stand on your head --
              4    Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

5    "In my youth," father William replied to his son,
              6    "I feared it would injure the brain;
              7    But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
              8    Why, I do it again and again."

9   "You are old," said the youth, "as I mentioned before,
            10    And have grown most uncommonly fat;
            11    Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door --
            12    Pray, what is the reason of that?"

13    "In my youth," said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
            14    "I kept all my limbs very supple
            15    By the use of this ointment -- one shilling the box --
            16    Allow me to sell you a couple."

17    "You are old," said the youth, "and your jaws are too weak
            18    For anything tougher than suet;
            19    Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak --
            20    Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

21    "In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
            22    And argued each case with my wife;
            23    And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
            24    Has lasted the rest of my life."

25    "You are old," said the youth; one would hardly suppose
            26    That your eye was as steady as ever;
            27    Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose --
            28    What made you so awfully clever?"

29    "I have answered three questions, and that is enough,"
            30    Said his father; "don't give yourself airs!
            31    Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
            32    Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs!"

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 11:48:23 AM »

However the Authorised version is the one that sticks in peoples' minds and that is why I use it.  

You need to get out more and clear out some of those ethnocentric beliefs of yours.   Cheesy  The AV only sticks in the minds of about 10 percent of Christendom.  That is because only about 30 percent of Christians speak English and of those the vast majority are Catholic and they don't use the AV regularly.  I use it because I spend alot of time in apologetics and it is not so wrong as to blur most points I want to make (other than it missing whole books of the Bible that is  Wink).  Of course the original AV included the Deuterocanonical books so at least it started out right. Smiley

In an age when there has never been such a preponderance of bibles there has never been such a gross misinterpretation of scripture.

This has less to do with the errors in the translations than it has to do with the errors of individuals thinking they, and not the Church, can interpret scripture for themselves.

P.S. I loved the poem, I think I remember it from the ChildCraft books we had as kids.  I can even picture a drawing of the old man with the eel on his nose.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 12:00:43 PM »

well michael_legna our church says this about the apocrypha  " And the other books (as Hierome saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners; but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine." [Article vi of the 39 articles of faith].

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 12:07:50 PM »

well michael_legna our church says this about the apocrypha  " And the other books (as Hierome saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners; but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine." [Article vi of the 39 articles of faith].

I understand some Churches take that position, but the early Church accepted them as scripture.  We know this because the Septuigant was the OT Bible used by the both the Israelites of the time until the council of Jamnia in 90 AD when they stopped using it.  It is interesting to note that this is the same council where they placed an anathema on the Christian cult.  The Deuterocanonicals are reference or quoted from over 100 times in the New Testament.  All of Christendom continued to use them until the 1500's. So I guess I will continue to use them as part of my Bible.

Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 12:13:38 PM »

Feel free michael_legna
Septuagint  [Lat.,=70], oldest extant Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible made by Hellenistic Jews, possibly from Alexandria, c.250 B.C. Legend, according to the fictional letter of Aristeas, records that it was done in 72 days by 72 translators for Ptolemy Philadelphus, which accounts for the name. The Greek form was later improved and altered to include the books of the Apocrypha and some of the pseudepigrapha. It was the version used by Hellenistic Jews and the Greek-speaking Christians, including St. Paul; it is still used in the Greek Church. The Septuagint is of importance to critics because it is translated from texts now lost. No copy of the original translation exists; textual difficulties abound. The symbol for the Septuagint is LXX.

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 01:49:07 PM »

Feel free michael_legna
Septuagint  [Lat.,=70], oldest extant Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible made by Hellenistic Jews, possibly from Alexandria, c.250 B.C. Legend, according to the fictional letter of Aristeas, records that it was done in 72 days by 72 translators for Ptolemy Philadelphus, which accounts for the name. The Greek form was later improved and altered to include the books of the Apocrypha and some of the pseudepigrapha. It was the version used by Hellenistic Jews and the Greek-speaking Christians, including St. Paul; it is still used in the Greek Church. The Septuagint is of importance to critics because it is translated from texts now lost. No copy of the original translation exists; textual difficulties abound. The symbol for the Septuagint is LXX.

Textual difficulties only abound for those who don't have a proper interpretation of the rest of scripture.  That is why the Protestants had to throw it out of the Bible - they couldn't make it fit their interpretations.  Up until that time the Church, including St. Paul among others, had no trouble getting consistent interpretations from all of the books of the Bible.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 02:23:37 PM »

“God be the Herder!  I don’t need nuthin’.” – Oakland Ebonics Version

I guess my point is – I think versions do, in fact, make a difference.  Although I believe we should always seek correct interpretation from our pastors or teachers according to our individual churches, I think interpreting from the same text would act to bring many of us closer.  We use NKJV at my church but my home study Bible is KJV.

That’s just my opinion in all its worthlessness.  Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 04:24:22 PM »

Tell me michael_legna, are you a Roman Catholic ?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the