Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 01:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286831 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 360060 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3300 on: September 14, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

A panacea!

(Thomas Watson, "The Ten Commandments")

The Scripture is a golden love-letter, written by the Holy Spirit--and sent to us from Heaven!

The Scripture is a spiritual looking-glass, to dress our souls by. It shows us heart-sins, vain thoughts, unbelief, etc. It not only shows us our spots--but washes them away!

The Scripture is an armory, out of which we may fetch spiritual artillery to fight against Satan. When our Savior was tempted by the devil, He fetched armor and weapons from Scripture: "It is written!"

The Scripture is a panacea, or universal remedy for the soul. It can cure . . .
  deadness of heart, Psalm 119:50;
  pride, 1 Peter 5:5; and
  infidelity, John 3:36.
It is a garden of remedies, where we may gather an herb or antidote, to expel the poison of sin!

The Scripture is "the only standard of conduct." It is the only rule by which we are to square our lives. It contains in it:
  all things needful to salvation;
  what duties we are to do;
  what sins we are to avoid.

"When your Words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight!" Jeremiah 15:16. All true solid comfort is fetched out of the Word. The Word is a spiritual garden, and the promises are the fragrant flowers or spices in this garden. How should we delight to walk among these beds of spices!

The Scripture is a sovereign elixir, or comfort, in an hour of distress. "Your promise revives me--it comforts me in all my troubles!" Psalm 119:50

If we would have the Scripture effectual, let us labor not only to have the light of it in our heads, but its power in our hearts!

"I have hidden your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11. The Word, locked up in the heart--is a preservative against sin. As one would carry an antidote with him when he comes near an infected place--so David carried the Word in his heart as a sacred antidote to preserve him from the infection of sin.

When we read the holy Scriptures--let us look up to God for a blessing. Let us pray that God would not only give us His Word as a rule of holiness--but His grace as a principle of holiness! It is said, that the alchemist can draw oil out of iron. Truly, God's Spirit can produce grace in the most obdurate heart!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: September 14, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »

An infallible test!

(Samuel Davies, "The Nature of Love to God and Christ, Opened and Enforced")

"If anyone does not love the Lord--a curse be on him!" 1 Corinthians 16:22

If you truly love the Lord Jesus Christ--then you earnestly study and endeavor to please Him by a life of universal obedience. Love is always desirous to please the person beloved; and it will naturally lead to a conduct that is pleasing. This, then, you may be sure of, that if you truly love Jesus--then it is the labor of your life to please Him.

The only way to please Jesus, and the best test of your love to Him--is obedience to His commandments. This is made the decisive mark by Christ Himself: "If anyone loves Me--he will obey My teaching. He who does not love Me--will not obey My teaching." John 14:23, 24.

Jesus repeats this theme over and over in different forms: "Whoever has My commands and obeys them--he is the one who loves Me," verse 21. "If you love Me--you will obey what I command," verse 15. "You are My friends--if you do what I command." John 15:14. "This is love for God," says John; that is, it is the surest evidence, and the natural, inseparable effect of our love to God, "that we obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome." 1 John 5:3; that is, they will not seem grievous to one who obeys them from the principle of sincere love.

Here, then, you who profess to love the Lord Jesus--here is an infallible test for your love! Do you make it the great aim of your life to keep His commandments? Do you honestly endeavor to perform every duty which He has required--and that because He has commanded it? And do you vigorously resist and struggle against every sin, however constitutional, however fashionable, however gainful--because He forbids it? And is the way of obedience pleasant to you? Would you choose this holy way to heaven, rather than any other--if it were left to your choice?

Your not loving God--if it continues, will certainly lead you to Hell. You are fit for no other place! Where should the enemies of God be--but in an infernal prison? There is the same propriety in throwing you into Hell--as in shutting up madmen in bedlam--or rebels in a dungeon! Why, you are devilized already! You have the very temperament of devils! Enmity to God is the grand constituent of a devil--it is the worst ingredient in that infernal disposition; and this you have in your hearts, and, as it were, incorporated with your habitual temperament! And what do you think will become of you? Judge for yourselves--must you not be doomed to that everlasting fire, which was prepared for the devil and his angels--whom you resemble?

"If anyone does not love the Lord--a curse be on him!" 1 Corinthians 16:22

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: September 17, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »

The masses demand that which will soothe them in their sins and amuse them while they journey down the Broad Road!

(Arthur Pink, 1886-1952)

"In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of His appearing and His kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths!" 2 Timothy 4:1-4

That time has arrived! Church-goers today will not endure sound doctrine. Those who . . .
  preach the total depravity of man,
  insist upon the imperative necessity of the new birth,
  set forth the inflexible righteousness and holiness of God, and
  warn against the eternal and conscious torment awaiting every rejecter of Christ,
find it almost impossible to obtain a hearing. Such preachers are regarded as puritanic pessimists, and are not wanted.

In these degenerate times, the masses demand that which will soothe them in their sins and amuse them while they journey down the Broad Road! The multitude is affected with itching ears which crave novelty and that which is sensational. They have ears which wish to be tickled, ears which eagerly drink in the songs of professional and unsaved soloists and choristers, ears which are well pleased with the vulgar slang of our modern evangelists!

The things which are now done in so many churches--the socials, the fund-raisers, the bazaars, the concerts, the moving picture shows and other forms of entertainment--what are these but idolatrous commercialization of these houses of prayer! No wonder that such places are devoid of spirituality and strangers to the power of God. The Lord will not tolerate an unholy mixture of worldly things with spiritual.

"Get these things out of here! Stop turning My Father's house into a marketplace!" John 2:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: September 17, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »

Our wisest plans and best endeavors!

(Letters of John Newton)

We are disciples--Jesus is our Master. The world we live in is His school, and every person and event is under His management, designed to forward us in the great lessons which He would have us to learn--such as . . .
  self-denial,
  a distrust of creatures, and
  an absolute dependence upon Himself.

In this view,
  afflictions--are mercies,
  losses--are gains,
  hindrances--are helps, and
  all things, even those which seem most contrary--are working together for our good.

Creatures smile upon us--or frown upon us; caress us--or disappoint us;
friends grow cool--and enemies become kind--
just as His wisdom sees most expedient to promote our spiritual progress.

Where we look for most blessing--it often comes to little;
where we look for nothing--we often obtain most benefit.

Our wisest plans and best endeavors at one time produce great troubles!
At another time, what we do at random, and what we account the most trifling incidents--are productive of happy, lasting, and extensive consequences.

It is well for us if, by a long train of such changing, checkered experiences--we at length attain to some proficiency, and can say with David, "My soul, wait only upon God; for my expectation is from Him."

The heart possession of two maxims of Matthew Henry, is well worth all that the acquisition can cost us:
  1. Every creature is to us--only what God makes it.
  2. We cannot expect too little from man--nor too much from God.

In this school I am placed--and these lessons I am aiming to learn. But I am a poor scholar and indeed any master but He who condescends to be my teacher--would turn me out as an incorrigible dunce!

Yet I sincerely wish to be willing to be what, and where, and how the Lord would have me be--to cast all my cares simply upon Him, and to be always satisfied in my mind that He assuredly cares for me!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: September 17, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »

We must continually come to Him!

(James Smith, "Abide with Me" 1859)

One great part of the work of the Holy Spirit in the heart is to . . .
  empty us,
  strip us of self,
  lead us to feel our own weakness, and
  bring us as poor sinners to look to Jesus alone, as our wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption.
And just in proportion as we feel our need of Christ, and realize our absolute nothingness without Christ--shall we . . .
   prize Him,
   enjoy Him, and
   exercise dependence upon Him.

O how little do many of us know our need of Christ, and therefore it is that we . . .
  make so little use of Christ,
  enjoy so little of Christ,
  receive so little from Christ,
  and do so little for Christ!

We come to Him at first--as poor, lost, helpless sinners--that we may be saved by His merit and mercy.
And as believers, we must continually come to Him . . .
  with all our burdens--that He may bear them;
  with all our cares--that He may manage them;
  with all our sorrows--that He may sanctify them;
  with all our foes--that He may conquer them;
  with all our sins--that He may cleanse them; and
  with all our needs--that He may supply them.

All that we need is in Christ--and it is in Christ, for us. Our sense of our need of Christ, if it is deep and increasing--will lead us to daily come to Christ for all our supplies.

Our deep necessity fits us for Christ--and His infinite fullness fits Him for us!

Our trials, troubles, temptations, disappointments, and vexations are to teach us our need of Christ--and drive us continually to Him.

There is often much prayer--and yet little communion with Christ.
We should realize that He is giving us His whole attention.
He expects us to tell Him . . .
  all that troubles us,
  all that grieves us,
  all that pleases us,
  all that we need,
  and all that we desire.
We should keep back nothing from Him--but speak to Him freely on every subject, and every circumstance.
He is always with us, listening to us, and sympathetically entering into all our concerns!

We must be intimate with Christ.
We must walk with Him.
We must carry everything to Him.
We must seek all we need from Him.
We must be constantly . . .
  going to Christ,
  conversing with Christ,
  and obtaining from Christ--
if we would receive the consoling influences of His love!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: September 17, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »

My unstable soul!

(John Fawcett, "Christ Precious")

"O Lord, pardon my iniquity--for it is great!" Psalm 25:11

If men have no inward grief on account of their ingratitude to a dying Savior--it indicates a lack of love to Him, and that they have not a just sense of the evil and malignity of their sin.

To think of the love of Jesus to my poor soul--manifested in His sorrows, His sufferings, His agonies, and the shedding of His precious blood--pierces my heart, and makes me loathe myself in my own sight! While I look to Him upon the cross whom I have pierced by my sins--surely I ought to mourn, and be in bitterness, as one who mourns for the death of his first-born. Shall not I shed tears of grief for those sins, for which my Redeemer shed His precious blood!

Blessed Jesus! how cold, how feeble, how languid is my love to You--the altogether lovely One! Alas! how readily are my fluctuating passions captivated by worldly things! O, let me not live so estranged from You! Warm my cold and frozen heart--and kindle in my bosom, a flame of holy fervor towards You.

At some seasons, the believer's mind is so oppressed with a sense of his own vileness--that he is ready to sink into despondency. In his retired moments, he pours out his complaints in such language as this:
"The clogs of guilt, and the clouds of darkness hang heavy on my soul. What language can express the depth of my distress on account of my sin! A sense of the vilest ingratitude to the best of Beings--stings my heart, and deprives me of comfort. What returns have I made for the abundant divine favors which I have received? I cannot bear the sight of my own vileness! I abhor myself, and repent as in dust and ashes. My life has been marked with repeated instances of ingratitude to Him, who is the giver of every good and perfect gift, whom I desire to love and to obey with my whole heart. My unstable soul has been perpetually departing from God, inclining to folly, and verging towards that which is evil. This, this is wretchedness indeed! For this I condemn myself almost without ceasing. My spirits droop, my heart desponds, my soul is disquieted within me. O Lord, be merciful to me, pardon my iniquity--for it is great!"

"Lord, I abhor myself on account of the defilement which cleaves unto me. Behold I am vile! I will lay my hand upon my mouth, and put my face in the dust! I have experienced a thousand proofs of Your goodness--the remembrance of which, fills me with shame, because of my ingratitude. The height of my folly lies in having so often sinned against Your infinite goodness and love! I have abused Your kindness, and affronted Your mercy. O Lord, I beseech You, pardon my iniquity--for it is great!"

Such exercises of mind as these, strongly indicate the sincerity of our love for the divine Savior.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: September 19, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »

All the sins of the saints!

(Thomas Brooks, "The Crown and Glory of Christianity, or, HOLINESS, the Only Way to Happiness" 1662)

"We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose!" Romans 8:28

All the afflictions, and
all the temptations, and
all the oppressions, and
all the oppositions, and
all the persecutions--
which befall a godly man, shall work for his good.

Every cross, and
every loss, and
every disease--
which befall the holy man, shall work for his good.

Every device of Satan,
every snare of Satan,
every deceit of Satan,
every stratagem of Satan,
and every enterprise of Satan
against the holy man, shall work for his good.

They shall all help to make him . . .
  more humble,
  more holy,
  more heavenly,
  more spiritual,
  more faithful,
  more fruitful,
  more watchful.

Every prosperity--and every adversity,
every storm--and every calm,
every bitter--and every sweet,
every cross--and every comfort,
shall work for the holy man's good.

When God gives a mercy--that shall work for his good.
When God takes away a mercy--that shall work for his good.

Yes, even all the falls and all the sins of the saints shall work for their good! Oh . . .
  the care,
  the fear,
  the watchfulness,
  the tenderness,
  the zeal--
which God raises in the souls of His saints by their very falls! Oh the hatred, the indignation, and the detestation--which God raises in the hearts of His children against sin--by their very falling into sin!

Oh what love to Christ,
what thankfulness for Christ,
what admiration of Christ,
what cleaving to Christ,
what exalting of Christ,
what drawings from Christ's grace--
are saints led to, by their very falls!

It is the glory of God's holiness, that . . .
  He can turn spiritual diseases--into holy remedies!
  He can turn soul poisons--into heavenly cordials!
  He can prevent sin by sin--and cure falling by falling!

O Christian! What though friends and relations frown upon you,
what though enemies are plotting and conspiring against you,
what though needs, like armed men, are breaking in upon you,
what though men rage, and devils roar against you,
what though sickness is devastating your family,
what though death stands every day at your elbow
--yet there is no reason for you to fear nor faint, because all these things shall work for your good! Yes, there is wonderful cause of joy and rejoicing in all the afflictions and tribulations which come upon you--considering that they shall all work for your good.

"We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose!" O Christians! I am afraid that you do not run so often as you should to the breasts of this promise--nor draw that sweetness and comfort from it, that it would yield, and that your several cases may require. I have been the longer upon this verse, because the condition of God's people calls for the strongest cordials, and the choicest and the sweetest comforts.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: September 19, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »

The saints' everlasting rest!

(Jared Waterbury)

"There remains therefore a rest for the people of God." Hebrews 4:9

All earthly Sabbaths are not worthy to be compared with that eternal rest, where the unfettered, unpolluted soul shall worship the Lamb without interruption and without end!

The body will there not impede, but augment our happiness; for it will be a spiritual body, which can no longer be the medium of temptation, and which shall experience no fatigue.

Nor will sin, O blissful thought, be there, to dim our eye or to pollute our worship.
We shall not only see God--but see Him with unobstructed vision.
We shall not only love Him--but love Him with unwavering affections.
We shall not only praise Him--but praise Him in pure, exalted strains forever.

Glorious rest! Let us rise and hasten towards it with renewed vigor, for "Here we have no continuing city."

PRAYER
Blessed be your name, O God, that You have prepared and reserved an everlasting rest for Your people. This poor world, You have taught us, is the scene of our toilsome pilgrimage--that we are not to expect our Heaven here. Yet O, how often are we building tabernacles on earth! We act as if this world were to be our permanent abode. Enable us, O God, to cast the eye of faith forward to the rest that remains for the people of God. Give us such views of its alluring glories, as shall make the brightest scenes of earth look dim. Let us see the enthroned Lamb! Let us see the pure company of the glorified saints and angels. Let us have a sweet foretaste of the celestial joys. Then, O God, shall we cease to desire the honors or the pleasures of this vain world. Then shall we forsake its attractions--allured by visions of so much superior luster. Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: September 20, 2015, 07:28:50 PM »

Christ must be all!

(Octavius Winslow)

"Christ is all!" Colossians 3:11

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith!" Hebrews 12:2

We cannot keep our eye too exclusively or too intently fixed on Jesus.
All salvation is in Him.
All salvation proceeds from Him.
All salvation leads to Him.
And for the assurance and comfort of our salvation, we are to repose believingly and entirely on Him.

Christ the beginning--Christ the center--and Christ the end.

Oh sweet truth--to you who are sensible of your spiritual poverty, vileness, and insufficiency, and of the ten thousand flaws and failures of which, perhaps, no one is cognizant but God and your own soul! Oh, to turn and rest in Christ--a full Christ--a loving Christ--a tender Christ, whose heart's love never chills, from whose eye darts no reproof, from whose lips breathes no sentence of condemnation! Christ must be all!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: September 21, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »

A continual supply of grace, comfort, and strength!

(William Mason, "The Believers Pocket Companion")

"I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me!" Galatians 2:20

That the believer may live cheerfully and comfortably, he is exhorted to the free and constant use of Christ.

O consider: Christ is given to us--to be enjoyed by us!

He is the bread of life--we are to feed upon Him daily.

He is the water of life, which our souls are to drink of constantly.

He is our righteousness--we are to put Him on continually.

So then, we not only have a precious Christ--but we are also to use Him, and enjoy His preciousness! He is not only a well of salvation--but we must draw water out of it with joy--and drink of it to the refreshing of our souls!

Deeply consider, that without this inward enjoyment of Christ--you cannot be . . .
  happy in your soul,
  comfortable in your walk,
  nor holy in your life.

We must live by faith upon Christ--so as to derive a continual supply of grace, comfort, and strength from Him! "I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me!" Galatians 2:20

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: September 23, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

Come out from them and be separate!

(Arthur Pink)

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

Men of the world form their opinions of the gospel, from what they observe in its professors. There is nothing more dangerous and injurious, than when professors of religion conform to the world so far that no clear distinction can be observed between them and the worldling.

It is sometimes alleged by professors who thus accommodate themselves to the fashions and amusements of the world, that they hope by this means to render religion attractive. But this is a weak pretext, for such conformity always tends to confirm the ungodly in their carelessness. When they see professors at the theater, or in the ballroom, their conclusion is that there is no reality in Christianity.

"Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you, and you will be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." 2 Corinthians 6:17-18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: September 23, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »

We may have audience with the King of the universe!

(Jared Waterbury)

Prayer is a difficult, and often an arduous work--but it is the life and soul of a Christian.
It is not only his incumbent duty--but his most precious privilege.

My Christian friend, the Throne of Grace is yours!
Your Father is seated on it.
Your Savior has sprinkled it with His blood.
The Holy Spirit draws you sweetly to kneel before it.
The promise, when there, is, "Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it!"

What an honor thus to approach the King of kings! Were we to have audience with an earthly monarch--we would deem it the superlative event in our history, and boast of it through life. But we may have audience with the King of the universe! Nay, we have liberty to approach Him at any time, and under all circumstances!
Have we needs? He can supply them.
Are we in trouble? He can extricate us.
Do afflictions press our souls? He can mitigate and remove them.
Does sin pollute our joys? With Him is the fountain of cleansing.
Does Satan vex our souls? He invites us to His arms as our refuge.

God knows your infirmities, your temptations, and your trials--and is ever ready to afford you relief.

There is nothing which so elevates the morals and character, as deep and intimate communion with God.

The godly man converses with God. At the Throne of Grace we acquire a benevolence, a dignity, a humility, which . . .
  throws around us an attractive luster,
  puts sweetness into every action and expression,
  makes us . . .
    contented in every condition of life,
    patient under every affliction, and
    faithful in the discharge of every duty!

"Let us therefore come boldly to the Throne of Grace--that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need!" Hebrews 4:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: September 25, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

But a flea-bite!

(Thomas Brooks, "The Mute Christian Under the Smarting Rod" or, "The Silent Soul with Sovereign Antidotes" 1659)

"I am the man who has seen affliction!" Lamentations 3:1

Christian! Your present afflictions are not great--if compared with the afflictions and torments of many of the damned, who when they were it this world, never sinned at so high a rate as you have done! There are many now in Hell, who never sinned against such clear light as you have done, nor against such special love as you have done, nor against such precious mercies as you have done! Certainly there are many now a-roaring in everlasting burnings--who never sinned as you have done!

What are your present afflictions and troubles--compared to the torments of the damned, whose torments are . . .
  without intermission,
  without mitigation,
  numberless,
  bottomless,
  remediless,
  and endless!
They have . . .
  weeping served for the first course, and
  gnashing of teeth for the second course, and
  the gnawing worm for the third course, and
  intolerable pain for the fourth course!
Yet the pain of the body is least part of their pain. The very soul of sorrow and pain--is the soul's sorrow and pain! The everlasting alienation and separation from God is served for the fifth course!

Ah, Christian! how can you seriously think on these things and not lay your hand upon your mouth--even when you are under the greatest temporal sufferings? Your sins have been far greater than many of those who are now in Hell, and your great afflictions are but a flea-bite compared to theirs! Therefore hush your murmuring, and be silent before the Lord! "I was silent; I would not open my mouth, for You are the one who has done this!" Psalm 39:9

Such is the splendor, the brightness, the glory, the happiness, and blessedness that are reserved for the saints in Heaven, that had I all the tongues of men on earth and all the excellencies of the angels in Heaven--yet I would not be able to conceive nor to express that vision of glory to you! That glory is inconceivable and inexpressible! It is best to be hastening there, that we may feel and enjoy that which we shall never be able to declare!

All the troubles, afflictions, and sorrows of this life, in comparison with eternal happiness and blessedness--are to be considered as nothing. They are but as a speck of sand--compared to the fathomless glories of Heaven!

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us!" Romans 8:18

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all!" 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: September 26, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »

It is their Father's hand that chastens them!

(J.C. Ryle)

We live in such a beauteous and pleasant world--we are so surrounded with so much that is smiling and mirthful--that if we were not often obliged to taste of sickness or trial or disappointments--we would soon forget our heavenly home and pitch our tents permanently in this Sodom.

Therefore it is that God's people pass through great tribulations; therefore it is they are often called upon to suffer the sting of affliction and anxiety--or weep over the grave of those whom they have loved as their own soul.

It is their Father's hand that chastens them! It is thus He weans their affection from things below, and fixes them on Himself. It is thus He trains them for eternity, and cuts the threads that bind their truant hearts to earth one by one.

No doubt such chastening is grievous for the time, but still it brings many a hidden grace to light, and cuts down many a secret seed of evil. We shall see those who have suffered most, shining among the brightest stars in the assembly of Heaven. "Our light affliction endures but for a moment, and it works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory!" 2 Corinthians 4:17

The purest gold is that which has been longest in the refiner's furnace.

The brightest diamond is often that which has required the most grinding and polishing.

The saints are men who have come out of great tribulation--they are never left to perish in it.

The last night of weeping will soon be spent,
the last wave of trouble will have rolled over us, and
then we shall have a peace that passes all understanding!
We shall be at home forever with the Lord!

"Therefore comfort one another with these words!" 1 Thessalonians 4:18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: September 27, 2015, 07:12:20 PM »

God's medicine cup!

"Now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials." 1 Peter 1:6

"God measures out affliction according to our need." John Chrysostom

"Prosperity is a sweet poison--and affliction is a healing, though bitter medicine." John Wesley

"Afflictive dispensations, in whatsoever form, are necessary . . .
  for the humbling of our souls;
  for the weaning us from the things of this world;
  for the restraining, subduing, and keeping under our corruptions;
  and for the trial of our grace.
The will of God has appointed all our trials, and therefore, they must be, and ought to be, quietly submitted to, and patiently borne." John Gill

"God's conduct with us is very gentle. With a great deal of moderation, He measures out our sufferings in a due proportion, not to our offences only, but to our strength." Thomas Manton

"Many-sided is the character of our heavenly Father, for, having forgiven as a judge, He then cures as a physician. Our good Physician understands the symptoms of our disease and sees the hidden evil which they reveal, hence our case is safe in His hands. God's medicine cup is not for rebels, but for those whom Jehovah-Rophi loves!" Charles Spurgeon

"The physician's care is to cure the patient's disease--not to please his palate. Just so, God will deal out afflictions to His redeemed people, as the wise physician prescribes medicines to his patients." Matthew Henry

"Afflictions are not always sent as a scourge for sins committed--but sometimes as preventatives from sins. Paul's thorn prevented his pride." John Leland

"God," said a holy man, "can neither trust me with money nor health; therefore I am both poor and afflicted."

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the