Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286820 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  GOD don't want you to have TATTOO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOD don't want you to have TATTOO  (Read 15503 times)
Mockingbird

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »

Why would you mar the temple, of God with a tatoo? Are we not told. 1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own,
To me this means after becoming a Christian we are not to mar, our bodies as they are the temple of God.

I addressed how this scripture was taken out of context earlier.  Please read the surrounding passages and you will find it is referring to sexual immorality.

Back to Allinall  (by the way, I was not arguing with Allinall, forgive me if it seemed that way.  I was simply pointing out the other side to be considered)  :
Believe it or not, my friend, you've just proven my point!     Part of the world would relate very well to a believer having a cross tattoo.  Another part, would not.  Part of the body of believers each of us would belong to would react positively to such a tattoo.  Other parts, would not, and in fact, may view that as complete and utter sin.  Would it be?  Scripturally, I don't see that it would be.  It would be "Lawful." But, if those who don't see it that way are harmed by it...why would I want to have one?  I have such members in my local assembly.  I have others that would think it was great!  But...(my paraphrase) "if eating meat causes my brother to offend, I will eat no meat."  I think the key here is the association of which we are speaking.  The negative connotation goes without saying where conservative brethren are concerned.

There are times when we must protect our bretheren, such as in 1 Corinthians 10:23-33, and there are are times when we must teach our brethren, such as Matthew 12: 1-14, and 15:1-20.  It is in the second passage that we also find a cross reference to Isaiah 29:13: 
These people honor me with my lips, but their hearts are far from me.  They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men

Now, bronzesnake spoke of his tattoo, yet so many people have replied with encouragemnet, saying that it is his spirit that is important, not his appearance nor his past....  If you ask me, John is a living testament to this truth! 

I guess what I am trying to say is it is up to God.  If God says, "Get a tattoo, because I can use it for my glory,"  then get a tattoo.  However, if God says, "Do not get a tattoo; it will not be for my glory," then do not get a tattoo.  It is that simple. 
"So whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the Glory of God."  1 Corinthians 10:31

I ask again,  Can a tattoo be for the glory of God?   Let us say Mister Rogers suddenly got his arms exposed and it caused his entire parish to stumble.  However, because of Mister Roger's spirit, he is able to pick them back up, which also causes his parish to grow so they will not stumble the next time they see a tattoo.

If we see a christian getting a tattoo and it causes us to stumble, it is us who is at fault, because we have forsaken God's truth for our own misdirection.  As Paul said,
"...the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours.  For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?  If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denouncedbecause of something I thank God for?"
    Think about it, did Jesus rebuke the disciples when they were caught eating with unwashed hands, or did he rebuke the pharisees who brought it up?  What would Jesus say to me if I pointed at a man with a tattoo and said "That man is wrong because he will cause others to stumble?" 

It is up to me to ensure I do not stumble, and to do that I must immerse myself in truth.  Yes, Paul will refuse food for my sake, and we all should do likewise.  However, when we find ourselves on the other side, saying things like "No Christian should ever get a tattoo," then it is ourselves we are putting in danger.
TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2006, 05:25:46 PM »

Bronzey ~

Can you have your tattoo(s) removed?  If it bothers you so badly?  We love you just the way you are, and so does Jesus; but if you feel like you're constantly "reassuring others" of your walk with Christ, I think you should.  Or, like you said, have it covered with one that glorifies God.

Blessings ~

=^..^=

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2006, 05:59:39 PM »

Yep................I have tattoo's and I am getting more. I also asked pastor about the OT passage about "do not tattoo your bodies"

He told me that in the OT times the jews were so tempted by every riligion that passed by that God had to set forth clear rules to keep them from being tempted by the newest thing. Tattooing was a sign of some religion or other back then (maybe even now) and they were forbiden to do it.

Mayn times I have asked questions that I see about the OT laws. Most times pastor sets me straight by explaining how the "times" really had to dictate the laws and rules.

Saved by grace..........

the next tattoo is a shield with Eph 6:13-18 writen on it................................no one would know I have tattoos anyhow. They are not for advertisement. They have signifigance to me in specific times in my life.

Never had one untill my marriage went to pieces and GOD FIXED IT THROUGH PRAYER!!! I tried and failed. Gave all to God and He fixed it. I just prayed.

My wife and I went together and got some ink done. I have never been happier or more thankfull to the one true and loveing God for his intervention. My wife has since come into her own relationship with Christ.

My $ .02

When I get to Heaven..........................I'll ask Him what he ment. I see no real difinitive scripture in the post Christ world to say I should not. I am not doing it to be like anyone else, or even to be different. Like I said..............you can't see them.

Body piercing saved my life.......................3 nails and the love a wonderfull merciful God

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Bronzesnake
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2006, 11:42:53 PM »

Bronzey ~

Can you have your tattoo(s) removed?  If it bothers you so badly?  We love you just the way you are, and so does Jesus; but if you feel like you're constantly "reassuring others" of your walk with Christ, I think you should.  Or, like you said, have it covered with one that glorifies God.

Blessings ~

=^..^=

Yes, it is possible to get them lazered off, but it would cost thousands of dollars, so I'm getting one of the best in Canada to cover it up with a Christian tattoo.

John
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2006, 07:50:34 AM »

Yes, it is possible to get them lazered off, but it would cost thousands of dollars, so I'm getting one of the best in Canada to cover it up with a Christian tattoo.

John

Thats what I would do! Grin

If I am ever at the beach........then they all know what I believe Grin That is if I am not too shy and actually take the T-shirt off. It's not the tattoo I am shy about. I show that to anyone who askes (It's on my back)

Gary

Bronzesnake
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2006, 01:12:45 PM »

Thats what I would do! Grin

If I am ever at the beach........then they all know what I believe Grin That is if I am not too shy and actually take the T-shirt off. It's not the tattoo I am shy about. I show that to anyone who askes (It's on my back)

I don't believe we've officially said hello my friend...so...hello! Cheesy

John
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »

I don't believe we've officially said hello my friend...so...hello! Cheesy

John

Hello,

Guess you are right.......we havent

Gary

Gary

nicole rork

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2006, 12:53:25 PM »

I guess my question is, what is the neccessity of "making a statement"? If we have to show we're Christians by our tatoos or the clothes we wear, something is wrong.  I don't believe in advertising Christianity with funny, witty little sayings.  I believe the best way to show our Christianity is by our actions and our love. 

That being said, I don't know if you could consider getting a tatoo a "sin" or not...but they kind of turn me off, and I would never even consider getting one.  The whole idea seems vulgar. 

Well, I have a tattoo, and I'd much rather have one than going around and wearing something like this -

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2006, 12:59:58 PM »

My cousin (whom I love to make fun of......tattooed freak...... Grin......lets not forget I have tattoo's) Has many tattos that depict his faith.

It starts alot of discussion with those who normally would not speak to Non-tattoed people and deffinatly wouldn't set foot in a church.

This too is used by God to "get the word out"

don't you think?

Gary

Jessie

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2006, 03:37:22 AM »

I have a few tattoos i got before i was saved. Would i get them now, knowing what i know? Nope!

God wants me to treat my body with the upmost respect. However, i have nothing agaisnt Christians with tattoos.
Here's a though---to the secular world, perception is realitly. How does the world precieve people with lots of tattoos. Or even one big one? Christians need to be above reproach.

"One man's wrong lead, is another man's counter canter."
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2006, 08:55:22 AM »

I have a few tattoos i got before i was saved. Would i get them now, knowing what i know? Nope!

God wants me to treat my body with the upmost respect. However, i have nothing agaisnt Christians with tattoos.
Here's a though---to the secular world, perception is realitly. How does the world precieve people with lots of tattoos. Or even one big one? Christians need to be above reproach.

I agree to an extent.

Our actions must show the world our fruit. Good tree....good fruit. Mt 7:15-20

this passage show Christ telling us to beware the the false prophets that come in sheeps clothing.

Show that even those trees that appear good looking can bear bad fruit.

Says nothing about what the good tree looks like, but does say to be wary of the false and you will recognize them by their fruit.

Appears to me that Christ wants us to simply consider the actions of the person...........not what they look like. This would include tattos and piercings.

Christ was pierced for our transgressions.

Body piercing saved my life Grin

I agree with the earlier statment, we are splitting hairs here.

Judge not lest ye be judged.......

Thus by their fruit you will recognise them.

I never knew the tattoed guy at church, untill I talked to him. We have alot in common and became close friends. Later I found out he is my cousin. I never knew him, but I do now. Wink

I understand some are turned off by tattoo's and piercins, but they can be an access to otherwise unapprochable people that also need Christ.

I used to race motocross, many people thought I was insane to try it at 27 years old (this was a few years back now Grin) but I met some very interesting people, I also noticed that unless you raced.....many of them wouldn't talk to you. There is a bond formed by those with similar experiance. A commoradary.

Don't we need all these trees to reach the lost sill searching for Christ?

Instead of finding a physical appearance, be it a deformity, disability, tatto, piercing, or multi colored hair, to discuss how we as believers should do things, how about using every unique appearance, ability, and "fruit" to reach the lost.

Gary

Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2006, 07:39:43 PM »

I have chin hairs, c-section scar from one side to the other, my eyes hang, I look like the michelin man (although, he won the beauty contest last year), but you know...God loves me anyway! Now, if it is a vulgar tattoo, then I agree--it shouldn't be there. But, a tatoo of a dolphin, or something about faith, or anything like that..if you want to sit there while someone sticks needles into you and go through all that pain, go for it. God loves you because you accept Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Now, on the other hand--pierced tongues, noses and other "areas that are interesting"..that is another topic all together! Ewwww....

God Bless!

God Bless You Always!
In The Precious Love of Jesus,
Kelly

Psalm 62: 5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;  my hope comes from him.  6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
friendship bunch

hot sync

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2006, 07:16:12 PM »

Smiley 
Read: Leviticus 19:28 do not tattoo your self.
  I believe that in this passage god is saying that we aren't to get tattoos that are evil or have ot do with the dead.  I see nothing wrong in getting tattoos that are appropiate.  I know a guy who uses his tattoos are a form of ministry.  He is reaching people that you and I may not  be able to reach.  I say if you want to get a tattoo then do it with wisdom! Cool

my first love will always be my Lord.
Ken1Burton

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2006, 12:20:25 AM »

I am new to this Forum. But not new to following Christ.

Revelation 19:16 speaks of a Name written on His Thigh. King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.

The greatest danger would be someone who felt they could not come to Christ because of a tattoo.

Maybe instead of covering a tattoo, a small note beside one. "His grace is sufficient to cover all my sins, and this tattoo also."

"Those who come unto Me, I will in no wise cast out." That would cover prior and later tattoos.

Ken
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2006, 10:49:25 AM »

Smiley    I believe that in this passage god is saying that we aren't to get tattoos that are evil or have to do with the dead.  I see nothing wrong in getting tattoos that are appropiate.  I know a guy who uses his tattoos are a form of ministry.  He is reaching people that you and I may not  be able to reach.  I say if you want to get a tattoo then do it with wisdom! Cool

At the time this was written there were other religions that practiced tattooing to symbolize their faith. God knew the weakness of Israel to follow just about any new and wonderfull thing that came by so this was to protect them form other belieifs, and worship of other Gods.

Its not hard to see that Israel was easily swayed at the time Wink

Gary

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the