Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286818 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)  (Read 46291 times)
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2004, 01:08:46 PM »

All...

There've been a ton of emails and forwards floating around recently from those who've had the privilege of seeing Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" prior to its actual release. I thought I'd give you my reaction after seeing it last night.

The screening was on the first night of "Elevate!", a weekend-long seminar for young people at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano. There were about 2,000 people there, and the movie was shown after several speakers had taken the podium. It started around 9 and finished around 11...so I reckon the film is about two hours in length. Frankly, I lost complete track of time - so I can't be sure.

I want you to know that I started in broadcasting when I was 13-years-old. I've been in the business of writing, performing, production, and broadcasting for a long time. I've been a part of movies, radio, television, stage and other productions - so I know how things are done. I know about soundtracks and special effects and make-up and screenplays. I think I've seen just about every kind of movie or TV show ever made - from extremely inspirational to extremely gory. I read a lot, too - and have covered stories and scenes that still make me wince. I also have a vivid imagination, and have the ability to picture things as they must have happened - or to anticipate things as they will be portrayed. I've also seen an enormous amount of footage from Gibson's film, so I thought I knew what was coming.

But there is nothing in my existence - nothing I could have read, seen, heard, thought, or known - that could have prepared me for what I saw on screen last night.

This is not a movie that anyone will "like". I don't think it's a movie anyone will "love". It certainly doesn't "entertain". There isn't even the sense that one has just watched a movie. What it is, is an experience - on a level of primary emotion that is scarcely comprehensible. Every shred of human preconception or predisposition is utterly stripped away. No one will eat popcorn during this film. Some may not eat for days after they've seen it. Quite honestly, I wanted to vomit. It hits that hard.

I can see why some people are worried about how the film portrays the Jews. They should be worried. No, it's not anti-Semitic. What it is, is entirely shattering. There are no "winners". No one comes off looking "good" - except Jesus. Even His own mother hesitates. As depicted, the Jewish leaders of Jesus' day merely do what any of us would have done - and still do. They protected their perceived "place" - their sense of safety and security, and the satisfaction of their own "rightness". But everyone falters. Caiphus judges. Peter denies. Judas betrays. Simon the Cyrene balks. Mark runs away. Pilate equivocates. The crowd mocks. The soldiers laugh. Longinus still stabs with his pilus. The centurion still carries out his orders. And as Jesus fixes them all with a glance, they still turn away. The Jews, the Romans, Jesus' friends - they all fall. Everyone, except the Principal Figure. Heaven sheds a single, mighty tear - and as blood and water spew from His side, the complacency of all creation is eternally shattered.

The film grabs you in the first five seconds and never lets go. The brutality, humiliation, and gore is almost inconceivable - and still probably doesn't go far enough. The scourging alone seems to never end, and you cringe at the sound and splatter of every blow - no matter how steely your nerves. Even those who have known combat or prison will have trouble, no matter their experience - because this Man was not conscripted. He went willingly, laying down His entirety for all. It is one thing for a soldier to die for his countrymen. It's something else entirely to think of even a common man dying for those who hate and wish to kill him. But this is no common man. This is the King of the Universe. The idea that anyone could or would have gone through such punishment is unthinkable - but this Man was completely innocent, completely holy - and paying the price for others. He screams as He is laid upon the cross, "Father, they don't know. They don't know..."

What Gibson has done is to use all of his considerable skill to portray the most dramatic moment of the most dramatic events since the dawn of time. There is no escape. It's a punch to the gut that puts you on the canvas, and you don't get up. You are simply confronted by the horror of what was done - what had to be done - and why. Throughout the entire film, I found myself apologizing.

What you've heard about how audiences have reacted is true. There was no sound after the film's conclusion. No noise at all. No one got up. No one moved. The only sound one could hear was sobbing. In all my years of public life, I have never heard anything like that.

I told many of you that Gibson had reportedly re-shot the ending to include more "hope" through the Resurrection? That's not true. The Resurrection scene is perhaps the shortest in the entire movie - and yet it packs a punch that can't be quantified. It is perfect. There is no way to negotiate the meaning out of it. It simply asks, "Now, what will you do?"

I'll leave the details to you, in the hope that you will see the film - but one thing above all stands out, and I have to tell you about it. It comes from the end of Jesus' temptations in the wilderness - where the Bible says Satan left him "until a more opportune time". I imagine Satan never quit tempting Christ, but this film captures beyond words the most opportune time. At every step of the way, Satan is there at Jesus' side - imploring Him to quit, reasoning with Him to give up, and seducing Him to surrender.

For the first time, one gets a heart-stopping idea of the sense of madness that must have enveloped Jesus - a sense of the evil that was at His very elbow. The physical punishment is relentless - but it's the sense of psychological torture that is most overwhelming. He should have quit. He should have opened His mouth. He should have called 10,000 angels. No one would have blamed Him. What we deserve is obvious. But He couldn't do that. He wouldn't do that. He didn't do that. He doesn't do that. It was not and is not His character. He was obedient, all the way to the cross - and you feel the real meaning of that phrase in a place the human heart usually doesn't dare to go. You understand that we are called to that same level of obedience. With Jesus' humanity so irresistibly on display, you understand that we have no excuse. There is no place to hide.

The truth is this: Is it just a "movie"? In a way, yes. But it goes far beyond that, in a fashion I've never felt - in any forum. We may think we "know". We know nothing. We've gone 2,000 years - used to the idea of a pleasant story, and a sanitized Christ. We expect the ending, because we've heard it so many times. God forgive us. This film tears that all away. It's is as close as any of us will ever get to knowing, until we fully know. Paul understood. "Be urgent, in and out of season."

Luke wrote that Jesus reveals Himself in the breaking of the bread. Exactly. "The Passion Of The Christ" shows that Bread being broken.

Go see this movie.

Charles Elliott

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2004, 04:21:46 PM »

Thank you, Ambassador - your review is very well presented.  Now I'm nervous...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2004, 04:51:50 PM »

Cry

Wow. I've wanted to see this film, but the review alone has me in tears.

To think that Christ went through it.....for me. Could I stand to watch it?

It's the very least I can do.

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2004, 05:19:28 PM »

Thank you, Ambassador - your review is very well presented.  Now I'm nervous...

Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Corpus
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2004, 05:44:48 PM »

Charles,

Thanks for the review. I've been a bit skeptical that a 'film' could have such an impact on people. Your words seem inspired however, and I'm beginning to believe Mel was also in producing this film. I look forward to Feb. 25.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2004, 09:16:22 PM »

One of my favorite "redneck radio" hosts, Michael Savage, saw the movie about a week ago.  He is still talking about it.  He had a minister on his show tonight and they agreed it could change America.  Savage has said several times it "changed" him.  Exactly how he hasn't specified.  Although Savage has always read parts of the Bible on his show (he is from my area and was local for 5 years prior to going national - so I've listened to him for a long time) he has never professed to loving Christ.  However, I sense a change in him. He is "kinder and gentler".  Which says a LOT when referring to Michael Savage.  Some may remember - he got kicked off his MSNBC TV show for calling a sodomite a sodomite.  (Well - there WAS something about 'You should get AIDS and die in there somewhere - but I sense the New Savage would not say that.)

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2004, 08:07:05 AM »

wow..after reading that i aint sure i could handle watching it, tho as someone here said thats the least we could do. Just reading A4Cs post i feel almost sick.. Cry
Thanks A4C. for sharing that with us..
Tigerlily

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
nancy8867

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2004, 09:32:11 PM »

wow.  I totally agree with Tigerlily.  I feel as if I watched the movie.  Granted, come next Wed, I will be one of many who stands in line to see this powerful movie.  I am so looking forward to it.  I am hoping it will make me the Christian that I need to be.   Wink
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2004, 10:29:24 PM »

I don't know about your guys, but I'm not ever going to TRY to fight the crowds... I'm waiting till the week after it comes out...

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2004, 11:46:44 PM »

Mr. Tibbs - accroding to all indicators, if you want an uncrowded theater - you may have to wait a whole longer than a week.

JPD
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2004, 03:19:11 AM »

Hear comes the Thnikkaman...

Oh, I've got a plan. Grin Enter Thnikkaman. Thnikkaman will take care of it for me.

There goes the Thnikkaman...

Man, I need to get some sleep.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
The Crusader
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2004, 04:18:42 AM »

Hear comes the Thnikkaman...

Oh, I've got a plan. Grin Enter Thnikkaman. Thnikkaman will take care of it for me.

There goes the Thnikkaman...

Man, I need to get some sleep.

You sure need something. Smiley

The Crusader
<Smiley))><
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2004, 08:52:03 AM »

It opens up here (FL) on Friday. My husband & I are going to go see it. I am curious about it all.
I had read an article not too long ago that said this movie might ruin his career?? I personally don't see why. Huh

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2004, 04:30:22 PM »

Charles Elliott

Ah. I read the first paragraph and thought, "A4C wrote something this in-depth?"
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2004, 06:38:32 PM »

One of my favorite "redneck radio" hosts, Michael Savage, saw the movie about a week ago.  He is still talking about it.  He had a minister on his show tonight and they agreed it could change America.  Savage has said several times it "changed" him.  Exactly how he hasn't specified.  Although Savage has always read parts of the Bible on his show (he is from my area and was local for 5 years prior to going national - so I've listened to him for a long time) he has never professed to loving Christ.  However, I sense a change in him. He is "kinder and gentler".  Which says a LOT when referring to Michael Savage.  Some may remember - he got kicked off his MSNBC TV show for calling a sodomite a sodomite.  (Well - there WAS something about 'You should get AIDS and die in there somewhere - but I sense the New Savage would not say that.)

Judgenot, I too love Michael Savage. I truly adore his boldness & forwardness. I don't get to listen to him all that much here in Fla, but was an avid listener in NY. I am so glad he enjoyed the movie & that it might have some impact on his life. Especially if it draws him nearer to the Lord. I know many times he does refer to the Bible & Scriptures which I always like. I think the entire TV thing was blown much out of proportion! But as you said, maybe seeing this movie has done something for him.
I am looking forward to seeing this Movie on the 25th. My Mum & I are going. I have heard so much about it that I feel I must see it. I appreciate Ambassadors review on it & it only peeks my curiousity more. I am told that the entire movie is done in subtitles. That will be interesting! Well I guess we can discuss it on Friday Night or Saturday of next week! Smiley

Ps....Glad to see another Savage listener. lol
I love when he prolongs his words ex: "Seeeeeeensaaative". lol

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the