Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Psalms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psalms  (Read 43548 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2006, 09:04:53 AM »

Psalm 77

A train of sorrows moves along this page. Relief is found in drawing near to God, and meditating on His wondrous works. We may have the same sufferings. May we find the same rescue!

1. "I cried to God with my voice, even to God with my voice; and He gave ear to me."

Before the Psalmist delineates his grievous state, he openly avows the action of his soul, and the remedy obtained. His voice was uplifted in earnest and repeated cries to God. He sowed good seed, and reaped success. Happy would be our case, if we converted sufferings into prayers, and made them gates of heaven. Let this be our resolve. It will turn darkness into light.

2-4. "In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; my sore ran in the night, and ceased not; my soul refused to be comforted. I remembered God, and was troubled; I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. You hold my eyes waking; I am so troubled that I cannot speak."

The days of the godly are often thus darkened. Troubles are needed, and therefore will be sent. But they excite the soul to seek after God. We have not a long road to travel. He always is by our side.

The Psalmist's present trouble seemed to be exceedingly heavy. The spiritual pain gave anguish like wounds festering in the night. There was no relief. The usual methods of consolation failed. His case seemed to be hopeless. Even the thought of God brought not its usual joy. Doubts cast a veil over His ready smiles. No sleep gave soothing ease. Utterance refused to be the outlet of distress. He watched in silence; and in mute anguish mourned.

5-6. "I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times. I call to remembrance my song in the night; I commune with my own heart; and my spirit made diligent search."

In meditation he pondered the records of God's ancient dealings. The annals abounded in evidence that God's love had never failed. They displayed His arm always mighty to deliver. He next reviewed his own eventful story. He remembered times of lively joy, when the night heard his songs of praise. It is well that the same periods be treasured in our minds. Past pleasures should revive. He sought, also, the cause of his discomfort. He probed the recesses of his heart. He used all efforts to discover what leaks admitted these waters of bitterness.

7-9. "Will the Lord cast off forever? and will He be favorable no more? Is His mercy clean gone forever? does His promise fail forevermore? Has God forgotten to be gracious? has He in anger shut up His tender mercies?"

Wave upon wave of doubts and fears break over the mind. Apprehensions in terrific forms appear like specters. God's dark frown of anger seems to look down. Smiles are obscured by unbroken gloom. The gate of favor no longer opens. He trembles lest he should be cast off forever, and mercy no longer give solace. He plaintively inquires, "Will lovingkindness no longer cheer me?"

He had feasted on the rich meal of precious promises; these promises no longer brought support. Can it be that he is forever excluded from this heritage of God's people? Grace is God's delight. Can He forget this exercise of His goodness? Has anger so barred the door that tender mercies can have no passage? Thus he questioned; and the questions seemed to imply that such doubts must be groundless temptations.

10. "And I said, This is my infirmity; but I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High."

Faith, though it had been downcast, revives. The Psalmist sees that all this disconsolation sprang from his own weakness. Spiritual power had failed. The real cause was not in the wavering love of God, but in decline of holy trust. He confesses, This is my own infirmity. He sees the remedy. He looks back to God's dealings in the long history of His Church. Ages have passed; but ages have brought no diminution in God's power. His right hand, which had wrought such wonders, is His right hand still, and never can grow weak.

11-12. "I will remember the works of the Lord; surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will meditate also of all Your work, and talk of Your doings."

Reviving faith returns to God, and drooping doubts are cast aside. It flies on renovated wings to contemplate God's wonder-working hand. It enters the precious treasury full of past records. Here it finds renewal of assurance. Happy meditation traverses the path impressed by heavenly footsteps. Thus refreshed, it opens the mouth in edifying conversation. Those who fear the Lord will speak often one to another. The words of their mouths, as well as the meditation of their hearts, will be acceptable in His sight. To God also thanksgivings ascend. The knowledge of His glorious works is the fruitful parent of adoration.

13. "Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; who is so great a God as our God?"

The footsteps of the Lord are clearly seen in the ordinances of His house. It is the school of heavenly lessons. There His Word reveals His character. There intelligence illumines devout worshipers. They contemplate with open eyes God's majesty, and glory, and grace, and love. The thought cannot be repressed that His every attribute is infinite. Where is greatness like His greatness! What power can be compared to His! To know Him is to lie low at His feet in boundless adoration.

14-15. "You are the God who does wonders; You have declared Your strength among the people. You have with Your arm redeemed Your people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph."

His sublime works shine as the midday sun. His omnipotence appears as an impregnable shield and an all-conquering sword. His omnipotence is as strong now as in the days of old. His arm has been displayed in redeeming His chosen people from the furnace of affliction, and from the iron grasp of relentless foes. But this power most brightly shines in redeeming His own from the powers of darkness, and saving them from the chains of the arch-enemy of souls. In contemplation of this work the shout breaks forth, "Who is so great a God as our God!"

16-18. "The waters saw you, O God, the waters saw you; they were afraid; the depths also were troubled. The clouds poured out water; the skies sent out a sound; Your arrows also went abroad. The voice of Your thunder was in the heaven; the lightnings lightened the world; the earth trembled and shook."

The waters of the sea opposed a barrier to the fleeing Israelites. Deep billows stopped an advance. But God appears; they tremble and retreat; they leave a dry passage. Throughout, also, the march in the wilderness, all nature seemed arrayed to provoke the opponents of God's people. A deluge poured down from above. The skies peeled with appalling sounds. The thunder and lightning fought on their behalf. So, also, by miracles warring on their side, the people were established in the land of Canaan.

19-20. "Your way is in the sea, and Your path in the great waters, and Your footsteps are not known. You led Your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron."

The ways of the Lord are past finding out. It is our wisdom to trust His heart, when we have no skill to trace His hand. Who could have imagined the dividing of the waters of the sea! The like had never before been seen! Faith learns the happy lesson, that though God's dealings are inscrutable, no impossibilities can impede Him. The good Shepherd will be a faithful guardian of His flock. At His will He can raise up ministers to be their guide. As Moses and Aaron went before the rescued hosts, so appointed leaders shall watch over His people. Let none distrust who have this God for their God.

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2006, 09:06:09 AM »

Psalm 78

We are enjoined to give earnest heed to the words spoken from heaven. A dark display of Israel's ingratitude and rebellion follows. God's repeated and abundant mercies seem only to awaken evil. May the sad example be a profitable warning!

1-6. "Give ear, O my people, to my law; incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old; which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, showing to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and His strength, and His wonderful works that He has done. For He established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children; that the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children."

This introduction claims especial notice. We often crave audience of God. He here calls us to incline our ears to His instruction. Let us be quick to hear. His revelation is the truth of truths, the light of light, the joy of joys, wisdom in the highest. Not only should we read, and mark, and learn; we should impress these doctrines on our offspring. Fathers should teach their children; and children's children should in turn transmit.

7-11. "Those who might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments; and might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not steadfast with God. The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle. They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in His law; and forgot His works, and His wonders that He had shown them."

Bible-study quickens grace. By pondering God's works of old, confidence will strengthen and hope become more bright. We shall tremble, also, at the dreadful iniquity of Israel's sons. They quenched the recollection of the repeated mercies, which blessed their fathers. Armor was provided for them, but they refused to stand firm, and fled before their foes. They closed their eyes, and would not see His arm extended for their help.

12-16. "He did marvelous things in the sight of their fathers, in the land of Egypt, in the field of Zoan. He divided the sea, and caused them to pass through; and He made the waters to stand as n heap. In the daytime also He led them with a cloud, and all the night with a light of fire. He split the rocks in the wilderness, and gave them drink as out of the great depths. He brought streams also out of the rock, and caused waters to run down like rivers."

A recapitulation follows of the wonders which cradled the childhood of His people. In this history, God's character—His love, His might—is written as with a sunbeam. No enemies could crush. No perils could destroy. Impossibilities vanished. He made the waters of the deep to be a highway for their feet. The mighty billows stood as a wall on their right hand and on their left. That their journey might be safe, a cloud from heaven preceded their march by day, and a canopy of fire shone over them at night. Does thirst oppress them? The hard rock opens its flinty sides, and refreshing streams flow in their rear. Miracle followed miracle, proclaiming His unceasing care.

17-25. "And they sinned yet more against Him by provoking the Most High in the wilderness. And they tempted God in their heart by asking food for their lust. Yes, they spoke against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness? Behold, He smote the rock, so that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed; can He give bread also? can He provide flesh for His people? Therefore the Lord heard this, and was angry; so a fire was kindled against Jacob, and anger also came up against Israel; because they believed not in God, and trusted not in His salvation, though He had commanded the clouds from above, and opened the doors of heaven, and had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them of the bread of heaven. Man ate angels' food; He sent them food to the full."

Can it be that such miracles of love could fail to melt their hearts; and that such evidence of fatherly guardianship should allow rebellion still to live! Alas! abundant kindness awakened superabundant sin! They sneered at past lovingkindness. They allowed that their thirst had been relieved; but they doubted whether food could similarly be provided! Can we marvel that God's wrath went forth, and that fire raged in their camp? While we bless God for His goodness, let us remember that to hardened rebels He is a consuming fire.

26-29. "He caused an east wind to blow in the heaven; and by His power He brought in the south wind. He rained flesh also upon them as dust, and feathered fowls like as the sand of the sea. And He let it fall in the midst of their camp, round about their habitations. So they ate, and were well filled; for He gave them their own desire; they were not estranged from their lust."

How striking is this instance of God's forbearance! Tender compassion checks the outbursts of just vengeance. Instead of punishing, He gratifies their impious desires. He sent the food which they believed He could not grant. He multiplied it beyond their power to gather. They fed until their appetite was more than sated.

cont

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »

30-32. "But while their food was yet in their mouths, the wrath of God came upon them, and slew the fattest of them, and smote down the chosen men of Israel. For all this they sinned still, and believed not for His wondrous works."

Let presumptuous rebels tremble. Wrath may linger, but delay is not forgiveness. In due time it will blaze forth, and terrible will be the results. The dreadful sequel shows this truth. While they feasted, vengeance fell. The richest and the mightiest found no refuge in their high estate. They perished with the lowest in the camp. But the hard hearts, unmelted by the plenty, and unappalled by wrath, grew more daring in rebellious feeling. They had no confidence in His goodness, no fear of His anger. Reprobate is the case which neither mercy nor sternness leads to submission.

33-37. "Therefore He consumed their days in vanity, and their years in trouble. When He slew them, then they sought Him; and they returned and enquired early after God. And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer. Nevertheless they flattered Him with their mouth, and they lied to Him with their tongues. For their heart was not right with Him, neither were they steadfast in His covenant."

Their troubles were continued. The scourge drove them to seek relief; but their outward change was not inward conversion. In semblance they became other men; but the same features were behind the mask. With utterance they seemingly drew near; but falsehood dwelt on their lips. They were not slow to promise; but their unstable minds were like the leaking sieve. They made a covenant; but it was only to break it.

38-41. "But He, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not; yes, many times He turned His anger away, and did not stir up all His wrath. For He remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passes away, and comes not again. How often they provoked Him in the wilderness, and grieved Him in the desert! Yes, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel."

But still compassion is not utterly exhausted. Our God is infinite in all His attributes. He pitied them still, and held back the arm uplifted to destroy. He remembered their utter feebleness. For a little season only they sojourned on earth. We hear the wind, but it soon is gone. So from this scene they would be quickly taken, and their places would be no more found. To enumerate their sins exceeds all power. So, also, to enumerate God's acts of goodness. While we shudder at their vileness, let us adore forbearing mercy.

42-48. "They remembered not His hand, nor the day when He delivered them from the enemy. How He had worked His signs in Egypt, and His wonders in the field of Zoan; And had turned their rivers into blood; and their floods that they could not drink. He sent different kinds of flies among them; which devoured them; and frogs, which destroyed them. He gave also their increase to the caterpillar, and their labor to the locust. He destroyed their vines with hail, and their sycamore trees with frost. He gave up their cattle also to the hail, and their flocks to hot thunderbolts."

Great had been their deliverance. They well knew God's terrible acts upon their foes. He had shown that all instruments of vengeance subserved His will. All creation at His bidding would arise to plague. Their annals were the record of His power to avenge. But vain was the lesson. Provocation was their rule.

49-51. "He cast upon them the fierceness of His anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending destroying angels among them. He made a way for His anger; He spared not their soul from death, but gave their life over to the pestilence; and smote all the first-born in Egypt; the chief of their strength in the tabernacles of Ham."

Wrath terribly smote Egypt. Every form of plague spread desolation. All agents of evil did their ruthless work. Misery reached its height when the firstborn fell, and death was the inhabitant of each home. The evidence is clear that God, who delights in mercy, can righteously execute severity. Ah, sin! what have you done? Let us ponder and be wise!

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

52-55. "But made His own people to go forth like sheep, and guided them in the wilderness like a flock. And He led them on safely, so that they feared not; but the sea overwhelmed their enemies. And He brought them to the border of His sanctuary, even to this mountain, which His right hand had purchased. He cast out the heathen also before them, and divided them an inheritance by line, and made the tribes of Israel to dwell in their tents."

It is sweet to return to views of God's gracious dealings. Behold Him guiding His own from this land of thraldom, as a shepherd tending his beloved flock. Behold Him preceding through the wilderness, and bringing them safely to the promised land. Behold Him driving the natives from their land, that Israel's tribes might settle in the goodly heritage. The history is an assurance that He will safely bring His own to the heavenly rest.

56-58. "Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not His testimonies. But turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers; they were turned aside like a deceitful bow. For they provoked Him to anger with their high places, and moved Him to jealousy with their engraved images."

Can it be that a people thus favored can forget their God, reject His testimonies, and provoke Him by idolatries! Alas! what evil will not man perpetrate! God was deserted. Altars to idols were erected.

59-64. "When God heard this He was angry, and greatly abhorred Israel. So that He forsook the tabernacle of Shiloh, the tent which He placed among men; and delivered His strength into captivity, and His glory into the enemy's hand. He gave His people over also to the sword; and was angry with His inheritance. The fire consumed their young men; and their maidens were not given to marriage. Their priests fell by the sword; and their widows made no lamentation."

Warnings are here multiplied. God saw Israel's rebellion and raised the arm of vengeance. The tabernacle of His presence was deserted. The enemy came in like a flood. The inheritance was laid waste. Misery consumed the flower of their youth. Oh! let us dread the wrath of God. We are warned that He marks and punishes iniquity.

65-66. "Then the Lord awaked as one out of sleep, and like a mighty man that shouts by reason of wine. And He smote His enemies in the hinder parts; He put them to a perpetual reproach."

Here evidence returns that free grace reigns. Mercy rejects slumber. God is aroused and drives back the insulting foe. He inflicts terrible chastisement. When His people merit extremities of wrath, love will still love them.

67-69. "Moreover, He refused the tabernacle of Joseph, and chose not the tribe of Ephraim. But chose the tribe of Judah, the Mount Zion which He loved. And He built His sanctuary like high palaces, like the earth which He has established forever."

The tribe at first so honored receives mark of rejection. The Temple must not rise in Shiloh. Joseph must be humbled, and Judah must be honored with distinguishing favor. The Ark must be removed to rest on Mount Zion, and there the Temple—the joy of the whole earth—must show its glorious front. Let us again take warning. The Gospel is not restricted to one place. If it is not gladly welcomed and devoutly honored, God may remove it, and gladden others with the sound.

70-72. "He chose David also His servant, and took him from the sheepfolds; from following the ewes great with young He brought him to feed Jacob His people, and Israel His inheritance. So he fed them according to the integrity of his heart; and guided them by the skillfulness of his hands."

God's mercy does not leave His people without the guidance of a wise Prince. He chooses David. He raises him from low estate, and places him on a high throne. He gives him skill and wisdom to rule in righteousness. Here we have our rightful King. The government is on the shoulders of our Jesus. Let us fall low before Him; and serve Him faithfully and love Him supremely. To us He is the King of kings, and Lord of lords.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2006, 09:10:17 AM »

Psalm 79

The ruins of the Temple and the cruelties of the insulting foe impel to the mercy-seat. Promises of praise are uttered. In the depths of distress may we thus seek and vow!

1. "O God, the heathen have come into Your inheritance; Your holy temple have they defiled; they have laid Jerusalem on heaps."

With tearful eye the pious Israelite beholds the desolation of his hallowed places. He would move mournfully amid the ruins of his beloved city. Can it be that the Temple has thus fallen! Can it be that the protecting walls are thus laid low! Have the heathen thus triumphed! Is the chosen city thus deserted! Such thoughts of anguish naturally arise amid the desolate scene.

2-3. "The dead bodies of Your servants have they given to be food to the fowls of the heaven, the flesh of Your saints to the beasts of the earth. Their blood have they shed like water round about Jerusalem; and there was no one to bury them."

Cruel carnage marked the invader's course. The slaughtered were exposed to vilest indignities. Devouring birds mangled the neglected corpses; ravenous beasts rioted in the abundance of their prey. Blood flowed in copious streams, and no survivors could bury the dead.

4. "We have become a reproach to our neighbors, a scorn and derision to those who are round about us."

The neighboring nations, who once viewed Jerusalem as the perfection of strength and beauty, and feared her as the mistress of the earth, now sneered at her fallen state. No tender pity softened their hearts. Derision sat upon their lips.

5. "How long, Lord? will You be angry forever? shall Your jealousy burn like fire?"

The period of calamity seemed endless. It is traced to its real cause. God's displeasure has poured down these miseries. The cry goes up to Him for intermission. It cries, Let not Your anger be thus prolonged; let it not burn like an unextinguishable flame. It is our wisdom when lying in the depths of sorrow thus to plead.

6-7. "Pour out Your wrath upon the heathen that have not known You, and upon the kingdoms that have not called upon Your name; for they have devoured Jacob, and laid waste his dwelling place."

Prayer beseeches God to mark that the triumphant nations were also enemies to Him. They did not know His majesty and glory. They had never acknowledged Him as their God. It is the province of faith to appeal to God that we are truly His, and that those who hate us honor not His glorious name.

8-9. "O remember not against us former iniquities; let Your tender mercies speedily meet us; for we have been brought very low. Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of Your name; and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for Your name's sake."

The remembrance of former iniquities should ever be before our eyes. Our cry should be that mercy would heal these wounds. Our only plea should be that God would thus glorify His great name, and make us monuments of His redeeming powers.

10-12. "Why should the heathen say, Where is their God? let Him be known among the heathen in our sight by the revenging of the blood of Your servants which is shed. Let the sighing of the prisoner come before You; according to the greatness of Your power preserve those who are appointed to die; and render to our neighbors seven-fold into their bosom their reproach, with which they have reproached You, O Lord."

Let not the sneer prevail that God has cast off His own. Rather let His glory be conspicuous in the ruin of the blood-stained foes. Let the plaintive wails of the captives prevail, and let the death-doomed find deliverance.

13. "So we Your people, and sheep of Your pasture, will give You thanks forever; we will show forth Your praise to all generations."

The happy result shall be constant flow of grateful praises from generation to generation. A ransomed flock shall magnify the Lord.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2006, 09:12:33 AM »

Psalm 80

Suppliants in deep misery flee to the mercy-seat. A graphic allegory portrays the Church. May we bear fruit as lively branches of the true Vine!

1-2. "Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, You who lead Joseph like a flock; You who dwell between the cherubim, shine forth. Before Ephraim and Benjamin and Manasseh, stir up Your strength, and come and save us."

In terms tender and urgent the heavenly Shepherd is implored to watch over His beloved flock. He is invoked, also, as the God whose presence sanctified the mercy-seat. When the tabernacle moved the tribes of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh brought up the rear, and so were the nearest to the cherubim overshadowing the Ark. Thus the symbol of His presence was adjacent to these tribes. Let us profit by this invocation. In our distresses—and they may be very many—let us think of the Good Shepherd, and remind Him of His tender love. Let us think of our God upon His mercy-seat, and beseech Him to manifest His strength.

3. "Turn us again, O God, and cause Your face to shine; and we shall be saved."

The confession is implied that we drink the cup of sorrow because of our wanderings from God. The supplication sounds, that He would, in His full mercy, bring us back, and chase away our gloom by the shinings of His smile. If He vouchsafes to grant this mercy, perils and destruction flee away, and we stand immovably on salvation's ground.

4-7. "O Lord God of Hosts, how long will You be angry against the prayer of Your people? You feed them with the bread of tears; and give them tears to drink in great measure. You make us a strife unto our neighbors; and our enemies laugh among themselves. Turn us again, O God of hosts, and cause Your face to shine; and we shall be saved."

Penitential prayer had sued, but answers lingered. Fast-flowing tears bedewed the cheeks. Needful food was mingled with bitter tokens of affliction. In importunity God is besought no longer to delay His aid. Not only did a wounded conscience utter words of sorrow. The surrounding nations also marked their calamities, and heaped derision on the downcast people. The cry is renewed, Turn us again, O God of hosts, and cause Your face to shine; and we shall be saved. If delay occurs, let it quicken our earnestness.

8-11. "You have brought a vine out of Egypt; You have cast out the heathen, and planted it. You prepared room before it, and caused it to take deep root, and it filled the land. The hills were covered with the shadow of it, and the boughs thereof were like the goodly cedars. She sent out her boughs unto the sea, and her branches to the river."

In the midst of suffering it is salutary to revisit times of joy and gladness. Israel recalls God's early favor. He brought His people like a tender plant from Egypt's soil. He removed the heathen, and planted it in earth's loveliest spot. Here it took root and sent forth luxuriant branches. Such mercies now were recalled by their mourning hearts. The contrast awakened a plaintive cry.

12-16. "Why have you then broken down her hedges, so that all those who pass by the way do pluck her? The boar out of the wood wastes it, and the wild beast of the field devours it. Return, we beseech You, O God of hosts; look down from heaven, and behold, and visit this vine; and the vineyard which Your right hand has planted, and the branch that You made strong for Yourself. It is burnt with fire; it is cut down; they perish at the rebuke of Your countenance."

The present desolation shows a terrible reverse. Protecting barriers are leveled. All passengers may pillage as they please. Wild animals may devour the fruits. Again prayer beseeches God to return and visit His ravaged vine. In remembrance of former mercies, let us pray that He who has begun a good work in us will perform it until the day of Christ.

17-19. "Let Your hand be upon the Man of Your right hand, upon the Son of Man whom You made strong for Yourself. So will not we go back from You; quicken us, and we will call upon Your name. Turn us again, O Lord God of hosts, cause Your face to shine; and we shall be saved."

Hope now brightens. The eye rests on Jesus. God is besought to uphold His beloved Son endued with all strength to save us. He will restore our souls. Quickened by His grace, prayers shall continue to wrestle with Him for renewed support. Repetition proves the earnestness of the soul.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2006, 10:21:33 AM »

Psalm 81

Observance of public ordinances is enjoined. The path of obedience is the path of blessedness. May we listen to our God; He will appear rich to multiply mercies.

1-3. "Sing aloud unto God our strength; make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob. Take a psalm and bring here the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery. Blow the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day."

It is a constant duty publicly to worship God, and to assemble in joyful crowds within the sanctuary. It runs on through the year's course. But there are especial times which should awaken especial thanksgivings. It is most wise to celebrate appointed seasons with all the aids which reverence can bring. Thus gratitude and love will kindle into brighter flame, and sense of mercies will take deeper root. Thus shall we ripen for the day when every crown shall be cast at the Redeemer's feet, and endless Hallelujahs issue from all lips.

4-5. "For this was a statute for Israel, and a law of the God of Jacob. This he ordained in Joseph for a testimony, when he went out through the land of Egypt; where I heard a language that I understood not."

Such service was enjoined to the elders of faith's house. It was ordained to promote their wisdom, joy, and profit. Doubtless the true light now brightly shines, and we have passed from the shadowy forms of types and emblematic worship. But the essence of true religion abides the same. If forms are not observed, reality may soon be lost. We are called to note the period when these injunctions were given. It was at the moment of their deliverance from the slavery of Egypt; from the oppression of those who were aliens both in heart and tongue.

6-7. "I removed his shoulder from the burden; his hands were delivered from the pots. You called in trouble, and I delivered you; I answered you from the secret place of thunder; I proved you at the waters of Meribah."

Grievous burdens oppressed the groaning people, but God delivered them, and their servile bondage ended. In the wilderness trouble continued; but from the cloud—the home of thunders—answers responded to their cry, and faith grew strong by frequent trial.

8-10. "Hear, O My people, and I will testify to you; O Israel, if you will hearken unto Me; there shall no strange god be in you; neither shall you worship any strange god. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt; open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

The Lord tenderly expostulates. He stoops to crave attention. He assures those who if they would obey, He, and He alone, would be their God, and no vile deluders should mislead them. He reminds them that He is the same God who wrought such wonders for them in their early days. He assures those who He is the same in the infinitudes of His love and power; that they were not straitened in Him; that if they would be willing to receive, He would fill them until no more could be contained. Let us thus open our hearts, and doubt not that He will fully occupy.

11-12. "But My people would not hearken to My voice; and Israel would not submit to Me. So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust; and they walked in their own counsels."

We shudder at the madness of rebellious man. He closes his ears; he rejects God, and thus God leaves him. Terrible curses follow. The decree goes forth, Ephraim is joined to idols; let him alone.

13-16. "Oh that My people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in My ways! I would soon have subdued their enemies, and turned My hand against their adversaries. The haters of the Lord would have submitted themselves unto Him; but their time would have endured forever. He would have fed them also with the finest of the wheat; and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied you."

Mournful is this upbraiding note. The scene is darkened by a picture of the blessedness thus forfeited. No mercy would have been withheld from the obedient. Their enemies would have fallen low before them. There would have been no evening to their bright days of joy. Their life would have been a perpetual feast. Their table would have been luxuriantly spread by God's own hand. Let us be wise, and hearken diligently, that we may enjoy such blessedness.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2006, 10:24:46 AM »

Psalm 82

God's supremacy over all magistrates is declared. Unjust judges are reproved, and prayer is made that God would maintain justice.

1. "God stands in the congregation of the mighty; He judges among the gods."

Man raised to a seat of pre-eminence is prone to forget the hand which thus uplifts. His boastful heart regards the power as his own prerogative, and rules as if accountable to no one. But God's kingdom reigns over all. Earthly authority emanates from Him. In courts of judicature He is supreme. His eye discerns the movement of each heart. His hand is ready to control. The wicked Sanhedrin little thought of the presence of the Lord of all. The unrighteous Pilate felt not that he could have no power at all except what was given him from above.

2. "How long will you defend the unjust and show partiality to the wicked?"

God condescends to expostulate. He upbraids the folly of injustice. It is sin in His sight to regard the status of men rather than the cause of truth. Let us remember that a day is coming when a righteous tribunal shall be erected; when a righteous Judge shall sit, whose scepter is a righteous scepter—whose right hand is full of righteousness. On that day a crown of righteousness will be accorded to His faithful followers.

3-4. "Defend the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy; rid them out of the hand of the wicked."

The principles are declared which should regulate the halls of justice. On the judgement bench, the poor should ever see the guardian of their rights. Those who have no interest from wealth and station should feel that they are safe in rulers who do not regard station and despise the bribe. Happy are the courts in which pure justice reigns, and happy the people who are thus ruled! The thought cannot be checked; happy are those who from their hearts can say to Jesus, 'We believe that You shall come to be our Judge. We well know that You will deliver us from oppression, and keep that which we have committed unto You.'

5. "They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are out of course."

Injustice springs from an unenlightened heart. If eyes were opened from above, it would be quickly seen that it is wisdom to love truth. But darkness too often spreads its blinding power. Confusion is the sure result! The very earth seems tottering. It rests on no stability. Again we feel that they dwell safely on a rock for whom God's right hand orders events righteously.

6-7. "I have said, You are gods; and all of you are children of the Most High. But you shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes."

God again reminds that all authority is from Him. He calls magistrates to rule in His name. He confers titles which show that they must be honored as His deputed officers. But though thus raised, their origin is dust and ashes. They soon will crumble in their native earth. The great ones who preceded them had been stripped of all external show, and laid in the humble grave. They, also, must fall. Where then will be their supremacy? Wise only, are the earthly judges who hear God's judgment-trumpet sounding in their ears.

8. "Arise, O God, judge the earth; for You shall inherit all nations."

From this contemplation faith gladly turns to God. The cry goes forth that He would quickly take to Himself His great power and reign, and mold all hearts to be submissive to His will. May glorious prospects gladden our transported gaze, when we pray, Your kingdom come.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2006, 10:28:14 AM »

Psalm 83

God is called to mark the confederacy of the ungodly, and to avenge His cause as in times of old. God thus appearing shall be acknowledged as Jehovah.

1. "Keep not silence, O God; hold not Your peace, and do not be still, O God."

It is the happy privilege of faith to deal intimately at the mercy-seat. As a child it may boldly cling to a loving Father. With importunity it may crave attention. It may give God no rest until His power is displayed. Thus God is here implored to raise His voice against the enemies of His kingdom.

2. "For, lo, Your enemies make a tumult; and those who hate You have lifted up the head."

Shall God be silent, while those who hate Him are loud in insults? Shall He sit indifferent, while the earth rings with the tumult of rebellion? Speak, Lord, Your voice causes earth to be mute.

3-5. "They have taken crafty counsel against Your people, and consulted against Your hidden ones. They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance. For they have consulted together with one consent; they are confederate against You."

Not only do they loudly rave; they plot in secrecy, and craftily devise rebellious plans. Hate is the moving principle within. It is misery to them that God's people live, are honored and exhibit power. In dark conclave they consult to extinguish their name, and to bury them in oblivion. But God watches His hidden ones. They may not be conspicuous upon earth. No pomp may signalize their course. No grandeur may court homage. But God has known them before the world's birth, and will in due time proclaim them as kings and princes to Himself. Let none of His children complain that their way is hidden from their God. He has engraved them on the palms of His hands. They shall shine brightly in the day when He makes up His jewels.

6-8. "The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites, of Moab and the Hagarenes; Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines, with the inhabitants of Tyre; Assur also is joined with them; they have held the children of Lot."

If God knows His meek and humble followers, and calls them all by their names, so, also, He well knows the multitude of confederate hosts. The catalogue of Israel's adversaries classified by name, proves that the haters of God are individually perceived. The powers allied against Israel were all overthrown. Separately they perished. So all God's enemies shall be arraigned in distinct personality, and each shall receive his due reward. They will each hear, 'O you wicked one, thus and thus have you done; thus and thus must you be requited.' Crowds shall not hide individuality.

9-12. "Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison; which perished at Endor; they became as refuse for the earth. Make their nobles like Oreb and like Zeeb; yes, all their princes as Zebah and as Zalmunna; who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession."

It is true piety to remind God of His former deeds of wrath, and to implore Him again to do as He has done.

13-17. "O my God, make them like a tumbleweed; as the stubble before the wind. As the fire burns a forest, and as the flame sets the mountains on fire; so persecute them with Your tempest, and make them afraid with Your storm. Fill their faces with shame, that they may seek Your name, O Lord. Let them be confounded and troubled forever; yes, let them be put to shame, and perish."

Graphic images show the weakness of rebellious men. Their stability is as a tumbleweed. Their firmness drifts as stubble before the wind. They yield as the trees of the forest to the power of devouring flame. God is besought to overthrow them with shame, that they may humbly seek His knowledge.

18. "That men may know that You, whose name alone is Jehovah, are the Most High over all the earth."

The ultimate desire is that He who alone bears the incommunicable name of Jehovah, the self-existent, and the cause of all life, may be exalted above all the earth, and that every tongue may praise, and honor, and adore Him. In accordance may the longings of our hearts be to magnify His name.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2006, 10:31:39 AM »

Psalm 84

Longing desires are expressed for the joy of public ordinances. The happiness is extolled of those who frequent God's court. The God, who hears and answers prayer, is magnified.

1. "How amiable are Your tabernacles, O Lord of hosts!"

The Psalmist speaks as one far distant from the hill of Zion. He remembers the delight of gazing on the beautiful Temple. The very sight had kindled love and devotion. In the fervor of retrospective ecstasy he extols the much-loved spectacle. May the sight of every consecrated house of worship fill us with adoring thoughts of Him whose worship there is sought!

2. "My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cries out for the living God."

Passionate expressions pour forth intense desire for the enjoyment of God's presence in the sanctuary. The heart burns with longings; the internal feeling is warmly exhibited. May the like feeling ever swell within us!

3. "Yes, the sparrow has found a house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even Your altars, O Lord of hosts, my King, and my God."

Some obscurity may hide the precise significance of this poetic image. Let us be content to gain edification. Regard the birds of the air. They seek and find some secret places of repose, where they may rest in calm security and nestle with their infant brood. Thus our souls should find their tranquil home in nearness to their King and their God.

4-7. "How happy are those who can live in your house, always singing your praises. Happy are those who are strong in the Lord, who set their minds on pilgrimage to Jerusalem. When they walk through the Valley of Weeping, it will become a place of refreshing springs, where pools of blessing collect after the rains! They will continue to grow stronger, and each of them will appear before God in Jerusalem."

We see the picture of the tribes pursuing their journey to the great festivals at Jerusalem. They faint not, neither are weary. The needful strength is supplied. They are upheld in the journey. A gloomy valley must be passed, but in it they find refreshment. Water fails not. The wells have been replenished by the seasonable rains. Their limbs each day are girded with fresh strength. At last each pious Israelite safely treads the sanctuary for which his heart had panted. This is a picture of believers toiling through the march of life. The way is sometimes long; dark valleys must be passed, but sweet streams are ever near. Needful vigor is maintained. The heavenly Zion is surely reached. No pilgrim has perished on the road. They went forth to go into the land of Canaan, and into the land of Canaan they came.

8. "O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob."

In such prospect who will not cry, 'Give ear, of Jacob, listen to my cry, and bring me safely to Your longed-for home?'

9-10. "Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of Your anointed. For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness."

It is good to cause our pilgrimage to resound with prayer, and ever to recognize God's protecting presence. It is good to remind Him that we have the unction of the Holy One, and have received the earnest of heaven into our hearts. It is good to add that we prefer the lowest station in His courts to the highest splendors of stately palaces. Let us be followers of Moses, who chose rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season, esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he had respect unto the recompense of the reward.

11-12. "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusts in You."

Who is a God like our God? What can we require that is not ours in Him? What is the sun to the world? What is the shield in the day of battle? All this and more than this He is to us. What can they need, from whom no good thing is withheld? May the Spirit guide us to walk uprightly! Then shall we inherit the blessedness of all who trust in Him.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »

Psalm 85

Bright views of redeeming love shine forth in the opening of this Psalm. Prayer is made that grace may still abound. God's attributes are shown to be all reconciled in Christ. May we gaze with delight, and give all glory to our God!

1-3. "Lord, You have been favorable to Your land; You have brought back the captivity of Jacob. You have forgiven the iniquity of Your people; You have covered all their sin. You have taken away all Your wrath; You have turned Yourself from the fierceness of Your anger."

The immediate occasion of this triumphant joy is doubtless the deliverance of Israel's sons from some oppressing enemy. But the predictive shadow is soon chased away by the bright shining of redemption's rescue. In this scheme the riches of God's grace are seen. Free favor comes forth mighty to save. The wonders of mercy are ascribed to this love as their source. We see the origin of complete salvation. Wrath had existed against all sin; anger had fiercely blazed against iniquity; but vengeance is quenched in the ocean of redeeming blood. Where is iniquity? It is all forgiven. Where are sins? They are all covered. Let our rejoicing souls testify, Lord, You have been favorable to us.

4-7. "Turn us, O God of our salvation, and cause Your anger toward us to cease. Will You be angry with us forever? will You draw out Your anger to all generations? Will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You? Show us Your mercy, O Lord, and grant us Your salvation."

But the ransomed heritage often fails to realize secured salvation. They tremble lest God's anger should return, and favor cease to smile. Let this temptation always drive to prayer. This is the time to supplicate that dying graces may revive, and that joy and gladness may reoccupy the soul; that mercy may again abound; and that salvation's glories may illustriously shine.

8. "I will hear what God the Lord will speak; for He will speak peace to His people, and to His saints; but let them not turn again to folly."

Answers will surely come. Let us open wide our hearts to welcome their arrival. They will fly on the wings of peace. The voice will be heard, Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. The Lord of peace Himself will give us peace always by all means. But let us take heed, and never turn aside to folly's fears and doubts and ways. Let us ever listen to wisdom's teaching, and walk in wisdom's ways.

9-10. "Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him; that glory may dwell in our land. Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other."

It is rich mercy that salvation is not to be sought in a far-distant region. Tedious efforts and protracted wanderings are not needed. It is ever by our side. We may open the hand and take it. What a constellation of blessedness brightens in the thought! Mercy, which ever pitifully yearns, has ample scope. Truth hastens to meet her with the assurance that it no more opposes. Righteousness enrobes the ransomed flock. All heaven is at peace, and all God's attributes embrace. Oh! blessed Jesus, we adore You for your saving work!

11-13. "Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven. Yes, the Lord shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase. Righteousness shall go before Him, and shall set us in the way of His steps."

Glorious results follow. On earth truth shall be as a fruitful crop, and righteousness shall flow down as showers from heaven. Every grace shall flourish and abound. The Good Shepherd shall precede His flock, and shall guide them safely in all righteous ways. How glorious is our Gospel, in its origin, in its work, in its effects! May we fully receive it! It is the blessing of blessings.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »

Psalm 86

A stream of continuous prayer flows throughout this Psalm. Praise is sweetly intermixed. Pleas for audience with God are urgently enforced. May we thus pray, and verily we shall be heard!

1. "Bow down Your ear, O Lord, hear me; for I am poor and needy."

The cry is the breathing of humility. To seek help from our own poverty is to draw water from an empty cistern. Let us fly to God's fullness; it ever overflows.

2. "Preserve my soul, for I am holy; O my God, save Your servant who trusts in You."

Enemies are always near; God only can keep and save. Let us urge the plea, We are Yours by entire surrender of ourselves. All our confidence rests on You.

3-4. "Be merciful to me, O Lord; for I cry to You daily. Rejoice the soul of Your servant; for to You, O Lord, do I lift up my soul."

Mercy is our hourly need; for mercy let our hourly cry ascend. We shall hear joy and gladness, if on Him only our eyes are fixed.

5. "For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive; and plentiful in mercy unto all those who call upon You."

When we thus call upon our God, we only ask for the display of His own heart. Goodness and mercy, grace and love there dwell. O God, give them scope. Let them come forth to help.

6-7. "Give ear, O Lord, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon You; for You will answer me."

The cry continues, I cannot let You rest. I must take heaven by storm. Awake, awake in my behalf. Troubles abound. But they bear me on their tide to You. I come in full assurance that Your promises shall never fail, and faithful prayer shall never be cast out.

8-10. "Among the gods there is none like You, O Lord; neither are there any works like Your works. All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O Lord; and shall glorify Your name. For You are great and do wondrous things; You are God alone."

Precious is the season when the eye of faith contemplates the greatness—the majesty—the glory of our God. In heaven and throughout earth He sits supreme, worthy of all praise—all homage—all adoring love! In every climate enlightened servants now bow down to worship Him. The day will come when His knowledge shall cover the earth, even as the waters cover the sea. Then every knee shall bow before Him and every tongue shall magnify His name. O Lord, hasten the blessed time!

11. "Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; unite my heart to fear Your name."

How quickly the believer flies back to prayer. Here is his solace and his heart's home. His grand desire is that the Lord would instruct him in the path of life. He has no greater desire than to walk in God's truth. He feels that his heart is prone in all its parts to wander. In itself it has neither cohesion nor stability. He prays that God would so restrain it by His bands, that no part should ever deviate from His fear.

12-13. "I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart; and I will glorify Your name forevermore. For great is Your mercy toward me; and You have delivered my soul from the lowest hell."

He vows that eternal praise shall issue from his comforted heart. Such glory is indeed God's due. For through redeeming blood He has rescued from perdition's lowest depths.

14-15. "O God, the proud have risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul, and have not set You before them. But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, patient, and plentiful in mercy and truth."

In contrast to this mercy the Psalmist sees the enmity of man. But he takes refuge in his God. His compassions never fail; His grace abides forever; His patience is inexhaustible; His mercy and truth are overflowing.

16-17. "O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give Your strength to Your servant, and save the son of Your handmaid. Show me a token for good; that those who hate me may see it, and be ashamed; because You, Lord, have helped me, and comforted me."

This view of God prompts the prayer, that He would arise and strengthen and save; and give such tokens of His lovingkindness, that all observers may perceive that believers are the blessed men receiving help from heaven, and rejoicing in the Spirit's comforts. When such manifestations abound they cannot be hidden. Shame depresses the cruel adversaries. They are constrained to confess, that vain is their enmity when God extends His hand to work deliverance. May we be monuments of such help!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2006, 10:41:22 AM »

Psalm 87

The Church is commended as beloved of God. Neighboring nations flock to it. It is a spring of refreshing joys.

1 . "His foundation is in the holy mountains."

The eye seems to rest on the Temple, the type of God's Church. It stands securely, for it is based on the noble hill of Zion. But what is the stability of the material fabric, compared to that of the spiritual edifice? Of the former it was said, Not one stone shall be left upon another. The latter is built upon the foundation of prophets and apostles, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone. The gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

2. "The Lord loves the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob."

Zion was the spot which the Lord chose and regarded with especial favor. So the Lord loves the Church, and every member of it. Happy is the man who can realize, 'Jesus loved me and gave Himself for me. He has loved me with an everlasting love; therefore with loving kindness He has drawn me.' The response follows, 'I love Him because He first loved me.' May our souls ever bathe in the ocean of Christ's unfathomable love!

3. "Glorious things are spoken of You, O city of God."

No eloquence can sufficiently commend the Church. What can be added to the assurance that she is recognized as the Bride, the Lamb's Wife? She was beloved by the Heavenly Bridegroom before time began, with a love which cannot know a change. She is endowed by Him with all He has, and with all He is. He has placed all the promises as a treasure in her hands. His angels watch around her. His providences guide and defend her path. His righteousness is her beauteous robe, rendering her fit to shine forever in the palace of the heavenly King. Her seat is prepared beside Him on His throne. It would exhaust all time to give a brief survey of the glories which adorn her.

4-6. I will record Egypt and Babylon among those who know me—also Philistia and Tyre, and even distant Ethiopia. They have all become citizens of Jerusalem! And it will be said of Jerusalem, "Everyone has become a citizen here." And the Most High will personally bless this city. When the Lord registers the nations, he will say, "This one has become a citizen of Jerusalem."

The influx of Gentile converts to the Church is here predicted. They shall come from countries which had been noted for their hostility. The Lord shall send forth His mighty Spirit. He shall soften their hearts and open their eyes, and enlighten their understanding, and lead them as willing captives to receive the Gospel yoke. They shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the water-courses. One shall say, I am the Lord's; another shall call himself by the name of Jacob, and shall surname himself by the name of Israel. And when at last the Book of Life is opened, it shall be found that multitudes from all climates have been gathered into the Church of the living God.

7. "As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there; all my springs are in you."

Joy and gladness shall be in her midst. She shall come to the Lord with thanksgiving, and the voice of melody. No element of happiness shall be absent. The Lord's presence near—His presence forevermore—shall be her inexhaustible ocean of delight. Sweetly it is said, 'In His presence is the fullness of joy; at God's right hand there are pleasures forevermore.' Let us now respond, 'Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, Rejoice. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name.'

Deep and ever fresh are the springs from which we may here draw salvation. Let our tent be always pitched beside this overflowing well. Let us bless His holy name that we have been born again and adopted into the Church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. Happy is the present portion; what will be the endless realization!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2006, 10:45:51 AM »

Psalm 88

Sounds of bitter grief wail through this Psalm. We hear the mourning of a wounded spirit. All earthly refuge is shunned; help only is in God.

1-2. "O Lord God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before You. Let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry."

This Psalm is received as the wailing of Heman the son of Zerah. He was illustrious among men for mental gifts. Solomon scarcely exceeded him in wisdom. But under sense of sin he did not find relief in intellect. He flies to God, and pours out his heart in prayer. The whole strain is misery at its full. There is but one word of comfort. He calls upon God, as the God of his salvation. Grasping the plank of saving grace, he could not sink. Let us learn the happy art of wrestling with God, in like spirit of supporting faith.

3-5. "For my soul is full of troubles, and my life draws near to the grave. I am counted with those who go down into the pit; I am as a man who has no strength. Free among the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom You remember no more; and they are cut off from Your hand."

His soul is faint through excess of anguish. All vital power seems to be extinct. He regards himself as utterly cut off from life, and as now moldering in the grave. So terrible was his grief that he speaks of himself as already an inhabitant of the tomb.

6-7. "You have laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps. Your wrath lies hard upon me, and You have afflicted me with all Your waves."

Misery sighs in deeper notes. He mourns as now separated from God. He wails as though lying in the very pit—amid all blackness of darkness—in the uttermost depths. Can misery be more miserable! Let us look up to Jesus. He has delivered us from all wrath.

8-9. "You have put away my acquaintance far from me; You have made me an abomination to them; I am shut up, and I cannot come forth. My eye mourns by reason of affliction; Lord, I have called daily upon You; I have stretched out my hands to You."

Troubles lose much of their burden, when loving friends are near to solace. This comfort was denied to Heman. Alone he mourned. Such too was the lonely state of our beloved Lord. All His friends forsook Him and fled. Prayer will bring Jesus to our side. We may plead His promise, I will never leave You, nor forsake You.

10-12. "Will You show wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise You? Shall Your lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or Your faithfulness in destruction? Shall Your wonders be known in the dark? and Your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?"

The plea is urged, that relief delayed may be too late. When we lie down in the grave, we can no more show forth God's praise, or spread abroad His wonders. While life continues, let us strive to magnify Him, before all our powers are silent in the grave.

13-14. "But to You have I cried, O Lord; and in the morning shall my prayer comes before You. Lord, why do You cast off my soul? Why do You hide Your face from me?"

While we have life let it be prayer. This grace will prevail. Let the earliest dawn witness our supplications. Let our cry be the first utterance which reaches God. Let us thus seek to learn why He is absent from us, and why His smile no longer cheers.

15-18. "I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up; while I suffer Your terrors I am distracted. Your fierce wrath goes over me; Your terrors have cut me off. They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together. You have put lover and friend far from me, and my acquaintance into darkness."

Fearful is this picture of a soul agonizing under a sense of God's withdrawal. What must be the misery of those realms, into which hope never comes! Let us strive to look off from sin's deserts, to the boundless merits of the dying Savior. He verily redeems from all iniquity. He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Let us flee to Him. Let us cling to Him. Let us rejoice in Him. Sheltered in Him we cannot be exposed to wrath. There is redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of our sins. O Jesus! we bless You, we adore You!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2006, 08:59:14 AM »

Psalm 89

This Psalm is bright in praises for the countless mercies of our God, especially for faithfulness to His covenants. Prayer is added. May we with joyful hearts adopt this tone!

1-2. "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever; with my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, Mercy shall be built up forever; You shall establish Your faithfulness in the very heavens."

Mercy is a theme for everlasting praise. Faithfulness cannot be adequately commended. Mercy and truth go hand in hand to consummate salvation. Mercy and truth shall ever be the song of the redeemed. May they be our song now!

3-4. "I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn to David my servant. Your seed will I establish forever, and build up your throne to all generations."

We have here the glad announcement that a covenant is established by God with Jesus, the Son of David. This covenant secures the perpetuity of the chosen seed. It stands forever.

5-6. "And the heavens shall praise Your wonders, O Lord; Your faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints. For who in the heaven can be compared to the Lord? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the Lord?"

Due praise awaits the Lord for these His wonders. It shall commence on earth. It shall be lengthened throughout the days of heaven. These wonders are great beyond all thought. They spring from the unchanging heart of Him, who is the great I AM.

7-10. "God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be held in reverence of all those who are about Him. O Lord God of hosts, who is a strong Lord like You? or to Your faithfulness round about You? You rule the raging of the sea; when its waves arise, You still them. You have broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slain; You have scattered Your enemies with Your strong arm."

Should not filial fear, and holy reverence encircle the throne of God? Mark His might. Is the earth full of commotion? If He speaks, stillness reigns. If He displays His power, His enemies vanish, as smoke before the wind.

11-14. "The heavens are Yours, the earth, also is Yours; as for the world and its fullness, You have founded them. The north and the south You have created them; Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in Your name. You have a mighty arm; strong is Your hand, and high is Your right hand. Justice and judgment are the habitation of Your throne; mercy and truth shall go before Your face."

Survey the universe. It is the work of His hands. From north to south creation recognizes Him as sovereign Lord. Thus great is His power. Great, also, are all His attributes. Justice and judgment are His abode. Mercy and truth precede His steps.

15-18. "Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound; they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of Your countenance. In Your name shall they rejoice all the day and in Your righteousness shall they be exalted. For You are the glory of their strength; and in Your favor our horn shall be exalted. For the Lord is our defense; and the Holy One of Israel is our King."

Blessed indeed are they whose ears receive the gospel's joyful sound. Their walk is bright, for God shines on them. In His Name and in His righteousness they are exalted. He is the glory of their strength. In Him security surrounds them.

19-23. "Then You spoke in vision to your Holy One, and said, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people. I have found David My servant; with My holy oil have I anointed him. With whom My hand shall be established; My arm also shall strengthen him. The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him. And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague those who hate him."

Here Jesus is most gloriously revealed. He is called of God to be our uttermost salvation. He is anointed as our Prophet, Priest, and King. No enemy shall prevail against Him. May we receive Him in all His offices, and powers, and work, and thus be seated on the pinnacle of safety.

cont

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the