Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 11:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  GOD don't want you to have TATTOO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOD don't want you to have TATTOO  (Read 15508 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 12:21:16 PM »

Here's my take on it...

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient; all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." (Quoted from memory so if I botched...forgive!  Smiley)

The O.T. Law forbade them.  We aren't under the Law, but under Grace.  However, we are under command to "...let not your good be evil spoken of." (Quote:Ditto)  To me, that's the biggest deterrant.  Personally, I'd like a tattoo.  Personally, I've got the same problem with tattoos that I have with piercings - painful needles!  It would HURT!  I'm opposed to pain.  Plus, I've got enough God given holes in me that I don't need to be adding anymore!  Cheesy

However, what I may want, and what the image I may portray are two different things.  I have to ask myself, "What will the world associate you with if you do ___________?"  I have a real hard time finding things that the world would associate positively with tattoos and piercings.  I find myself justifying why I can, rather than proving why I can.  That is, I don't find any direct biblical "don'ts" herein for this age of Grace.  But I do find many biblical warnings about associating with a crowd I'm no longer a part of.

It may be "Lawful", but is it best for me, for my local body of believers, and for a lost and dying world that needs to see Jesus in me?  I'd have to say "No."  As I have.  And I don't have piercings or tattoo..ings anywhere.  My fear of pain helps a great deal too... Grin  But I have a bigger problem when I find myself justifying, rather than knowing.

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:26:49 PM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2006, 02:12:43 AM »

Allinall Said:

It may be "Lawful", but is it best for me, for my local body of believers, and for a lost and dying world that needs to see Jesus in me?  I'd have to say "No."  As I have.

AMEN BROTHER! You just spoke volumes. For a person who is already a Christian, their living testimony that effects the lost and the saved around them must always be a high priority and a matter of prayer.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 2:19-22 NASB  So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Mockingbird

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »

First of all, ditto what Bronzesnake said. 

The quotes from Allinall:
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.  But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake-- the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?  If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? 

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-- even as I try to please everybody in every way.  For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.
 1 Corinthains 10:23-33

"Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed.  "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." but in your hearts always set apart Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
1 Peter 3:13-16

Now, lets be honest, If someone gets a tattoo of a cross, what will the world associate that person with?  Or the example bronzesnake gave; a person who has a heart with his wife and children's name on it.  What will the world associate that person with?  It seems to me those things would invoke positive connotations. 

Even if they do invoke the negative, that associations should be quickly dispelled by our actions of love, anyway.   For example, if I am reading the Bible in public, that carries the risk of the world labeling me as hypocritical and self-righteous.  We all get pushed into that association from the world simply by going to church! 

If you ask me, it is summed up in this: 
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Now, perhaps the question is; "Can a tattoo be for the glory of God?"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »

Quote from: Mockingbird
Now, perhaps the question is; "Can a tattoo be for the glory of God?"

Why would you mar the temple, of God with a tatoo? Are we not told. 1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own,

To me this means after becoming a Christian we are not to mar, our bodies as they are the temple of God.

Bronzesnake
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »

OK, here's a situation I find myself in right now.

Many of my friends here know I used to be involved with bikers. I was not ever, a member, but I lived with them, and some of them are still good friends today.
Some of them love Jesus today.

I have a couple of tattoos. One is a heart with a banner running through it with my wife, Dawn's name on it.
I did that one myself. It's small, and on the top of my wrist.

I got my first one when I was 15 years old. It's another small one - a black rose on my upper arm, on mid shoulder.
Blackrose was my stage name when I was in a band.

The second one I got is a nightmare! I was fifteen, and living with some bikers. These guys were serious!
You would immediately know the name if I divulged it, but I'm not about to do that.
It is a large tattoo. If you cut a softball, baseball in half and laid it on your arm, that's about the area it covers...maybe not quite that big, but close.

It says "Death Before Dishonour" and it is a mess! I was living with a woman back then also, and she did the tattoo while under the influence of drugs and booze, as I was at the time.
She had never done one before, and without a doubt, never did one after!
It's a mixture of capitol and lower case letters, and very crooked.

It is a constant source of embarrassment, and it definitely gives the wrong impression!
I have frightened off many nurses in hospital. Nurses are usually very pleasant, and warm people, but as soon as they take my shirt off to get I.V.'s and stuff going, they get this look on their faces, and most of the time they look frightened. I am constantly reassuring these beautiful women that I am a changed man, who loves Jesus, but the stain remains!

I recently contacted one of the most prestigious tattoo artists in Ontario, and asked if he would be willing to do a charity job, because I could never afford his work at $150.00 per hour!
Covering up a tattoo takes a lot of skill and imagination. I have been searching for an artists capable of doing the job for years, and I finally found one, so I am going in this coming fall, and Cory is going to do a Christian theme cover up, and it will be amazing!

I wish I never got any tattoos, but I was young and wild! After the job is done, people won't look at me with caution on their faces, they will probably ask "are you Christian?" "is that stuff real?" and that's OK with me.

John
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 08:26:39 PM »

Now, lets be honest, If someone gets a tattoo of a cross, what will the world associate that person with?  Or the example bronzesnake gave; a person who has a heart with his wife and children's name on it.  What will the world associate that person with?  It seems to me those things would invoke positive connotations. 

Believe it or not, my friend, you've just proven my point!   Smiley  Part of the world would relate very well to a believer having a cross tattoo.  Another part, would not.  Part of the body of believers each of us would belong to would react positively to such a tattoo.  Other parts, would not, and in fact, may view that as complete and utter sin.  Would it be?  Scripturally, I don't see that it would be.  It would be "Lawful." But, if those who don't see it that way are harmed by it...why would I want to have one?  I have such members in my local assembly.  I have others that would think it was great!  But...(my paraphrase) "if eating meat causes my brother to offend, I will eat no meat."  I think the key here is the association of which we are speaking.  The negative connotation goes without saying where conservative brethren are concerned.  But consider this...

"And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said:

"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

"Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied.

"Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

"Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

"But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.

"Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry.

"Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.

"Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets."

Luke 6:20-26

I read this today.  The part that stuck out to me is the part I underlined.  "Positve connotation?"  For me, personally, this goes back to my "justification" of my wants, rather than my proof of it being best for me, and for others in light of Christ.  Again, this is just my thoughts.   Smiley

Even if they do invoke the negative, that associations should be quickly dispelled by our actions of love, anyway.   For example, if I am reading the Bible in public, that carries the risk of the world labeling me as hypocritical and self-righteous.  We all get pushed into that association from the world simply by going to church! 

True.  Here's one thing that I'll never forget.  My wife's uncle was a Christian biker.  He'd had his past of sin and all, but had been gloriously saved.  He, and many of his friends knew Christ as their Savior.  Each kept the leather and long hair.  However, standing next to a biker at her uncle's funeral, in his leather, with his long, but very well kept hair and beard, was a man that I knew, without speaking too, knew Christ.  He smiled throughout the entire service.  Not smuggly, but joyfully.  He spoke to me before we left.  Needless to say, his words magnified what I already knew to be true.  We were brothers in Christ.  Here's my point: to some, due to weakness, or bias, or prejudice, he'd have been a worthless sinner.  To me, he was the epidemy of the believer.  I went to a very conservative church at the time.  He wouldn't have fit in to that local assembly.  But, I could see more of Christ in him than in many of the deacons of that church.   Smiley

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 08:58:23 PM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 12:30:07 AM »

Hello Bronzesnake,

Brother John, all Christians have things in their earlier lives that they aren't proud of. I would have to quickly say that the invisible things are absolutely the worst. Now we belong to JESUS, and the Blood of JESUS on the Cross has washed our sins away as if they never happened. All Christians have memories of bad things, and they simply add to our joy when we give thanks for who we are now in JESUS. We were all in misery under the curse of sin and death, but JESUS has rescued us and set us free from the bondage of sin.

There are ONLY two kinds of people: those who belong to JESUS and those who don't. We should all rejoice and give thanks that there is NO condemnation for those who belong to JESUS. We have been bought, delivered, and are possessions of JESUS CHRIST forever! No power in the universe can pluck us out of HIS MIGHTY HANDS! Now we can simply kneel at the feet of JESUS and say thank you.

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 10:27-28 NASB  "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.

Bronzesnake
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 11:59:16 AM »

Hello Bronzesnake,

Brother John, all Christians have things in their earlier lives that they aren't proud of. I would have to quickly say that the invisible things are absolutely the worst. Now we belong to JESUS, and the Blood of JESUS on the Cross has washed our sins away as if they never happened. All Christians have memories of bad things, and they simply add to our joy when we give thanks for who we are now in JESUS. We were all in misery under the curse of sin and death, but JESUS has rescued us and set us free from the bondage of sin.

There are ONLY two kinds of people: those who belong to JESUS and those who don't. We should all rejoice and give thanks that there is NO condemnation for those who belong to JESUS. We have been bought, delivered, and are possessions of JESUS CHRIST forever! No power in the universe can pluck us out of HIS MIGHTY HANDS! Now we can simply kneel at the feet of JESUS and say thank you.

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 10:27-28 NASB  "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.

Amen Tom!

Our inner secrets are our own, and we are forgiven of all of our sins through His precious blood.
Once we are forgiven, the sin stain is gone!

My stain remains as a constant reminder of the life I used to live. I could handle that if it weren't for the negative outlook this tattoo has. The tattoo is worn by a very specific outlaw bike club, and a lot of people know it. They mistakeinly believe I am associated with that, and I don't want that in my life anymore. I will get it covered.

I checked into lazer surgery first because I don't want anymore tattoos, but it's $500.00 a session, and the doctor told me it would take several sessions to remove it, so I'm stuck with having it covered with a Christian tattoo.

John
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 02:18:54 PM »

Amen Tom!

Our inner secrets are our own, and we are forgiven of all of our sins through His precious blood.
Once we are forgiven, the sin stain is gone!

My stain remains as a constant reminder of the life I used to live. I could handle that if it weren't for the negative outlook this tattoo has. The tattoo is worn by a very specific outlaw bike club, and a lot of people know it. They mistakeinly believe I am associated with that, and I don't want that in my life anymore. I will get it covered.

I checked into lazer surgery first because I don't want anymore tattoos, but it's $500.00 a session, and the doctor told me it would take several sessions to remove it, so I'm stuck with having it covered with a Christian tattoo.

John

Bronzesnake,

Brother John, I understand completely. I just wanted to tell you that God knows your heart, and we know your heart also. I have several friends who made similar decisions, and one even had some kind of special surgery to remove one.

Let me tell you a quick story that is the complete truth. Do you remember the children's television show "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" where he opened the show by singing something like "It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood..........". Did you ever notice that Mr. Rogers always wore long sleeve shirts and sweaters? Did you also know that Mr. Rogers was an ordained minister? Did you also know that Mr. Rogers was a Navy Seal who served in two wars and had tattoos all over him? That was the reason why he always wore long sleeve shirts and sweaters. He didn't want the tattoos to scare the children or hurt his ministry.

Brother John, we will love you either way.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 130:5 NASB  I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »

Bronzesnake,

Brother John, I understand completely. I just wanted to tell you that God knows your heart, and we know your heart also. I have several friends who made similar decisions, and one even had some kind of special surgery to remove one.

Let me tell you a quick story that is the complete truth. Do you remember the children's television show "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" where he opened the show by singing something like "It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood..........". Did you ever notice that Mr. Rogers always wore long sleeve shirts and sweaters? Did you also know that Mr. Rogers was an ordained minister? Did you also know that Mr. Rogers was a Navy Seal who served in two wars and had tattoos all over him? That was the reason why he always wore long sleeve shirts and sweaters. He didn't want the tattoos to scare the children or hurt his ministry.

Brother John, we will love you either way.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 130:5 NASB  I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.

Amen. Tatoos do not stop God's love and it should have no affect on ours either.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2006, 02:41:14 PM »

Brothers, I just want to say this; there are sooo many beautiful Christians who do have tatoos, more than likely got them before comming to the Lord. However, once Jesus is in your heart, His light shines through so brightly that the tatoos may be invisible to others. I guess what I am trying to say is when Jesus is in your heart, His glory shines on you.
I remember one day I was in quite a lot of pain, and we were going to Jacksonville for a doctor appointment, that's a 2 and a half hour drive. Yet all the way there I just kept praying and asking God to not let my husband see the pain reflecting in my face, he can always tell when I am in pain just by looking at my face. I didn't want him to be worried about me as he drove. Well we made it to Jacksonville and got there early enough for me to be able to see my 2 daughters. Well to my surprise they both said the same thing when they saw me and I didn't see them both at the same time.  they both said "Wow mom, your face is glowing". I was taken by surprise when my husband told me that he had no idea that I had been in such pain. 
So you see brother it's not what's on the outside it's what's on the inside that counts.  Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »

Hello Bronzesnake,

Love In Christ,
Tom

Smiley Amen Brother!  Smiley

Bronzesnake
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2006, 06:04:47 PM »

Thank you my friends. You are all right, there's no disputing it, and I wouldn't even try.
This tattoo really, really bothers me. Not because I don't believe God loves me anyway I am, I know God loves me, and I understand we are changed the moment we accept the King into our lives.

I left an awful, dark and depraved life behind me many years ago, and this darn tattoo is a constant reminder of the life I used to live. And as much as we all know that it's what's on this inside that counts, we are not gullable enough to think we are not judged by appearances. People look at that tattoo and they immediately get the wrong impression of me. I'm tired of constantly having to reassure people, or cover myself up on hot days. There are times when I won't go swimming at the lake with my kids because I have to take my shirt off...not all the time, but there have been times like that.

I want it gone, and the only way I can do that is to get it covered with something that honours Jesus, and not satan.

I really am blessed to have such wonderful brothers and sisters who genuinely do care about me as much as I care about them.

God Bless you all! Cheesy

John
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2006, 07:07:37 PM »

Brother John, what you did before you were a Christian is different then now. Jesus forgave you when you came to Him. I call you brother and I also call you a friend, cause you are one. Whats past doesn't effect what you are now brother. You are and I say it out loud, a BROTHER IN CHRIST! Nothing more needs to be said brother.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Matthew 18:4 Whoever will humble himself therefore and become like this little child [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving] is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Bronzesnake
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »

Brother John, what you did before you were a Christian is different then now. Jesus forgave you when you came to Him. I call you brother and I also call you a friend, cause you are one. Whats past doesn't effect what you are now brother. You are and I say it out loud, a BROTHER IN CHRIST! Nothing more needs to be said brother.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Matthew 18:4 Whoever will humble himself therefore and become like this little child [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving] is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Thanks Tom, you're too good to me my brother! Cheesy

John
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the