Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286818 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Workers sue U.S. factory after immigration raid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Workers sue U.S. factory after immigration raid  (Read 491 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »

Illegals sue U.S. factory
after immigration raid
361 aliens claim they were cheated
of hundreds of thousands of dollars

Workers including 361 illegal immigrants were cheated of hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime pay at a factory at the center of a high-profile raid in Massachusetts, according to a lawsuit filed on Tuesday.

The class-action lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Boston on behalf of 500 workers, follows a raid by federal immigration agents on March 6 that drew criticism of the Bush administration's immigration policy and brought national attention to the perils facing undocumented workers.

Dozens of children were stranded when 361 workers at Michael Bianco Inc., which makes equipment and apparel for the U.S. military, were arrested by federal agents in New Bedford, a port city about 55 miles south of Boston.

Many of the immigrants were initially held at a decommissioned Army base in Massachusetts before being flown to Texas.

The case, separate to a lawsuit filed in March by the arrested immigrants against the U.S. government, accuses Michael Bianco Inc. of setting up a fictional company, Front Line Defense, to pay employees who had worked overtime.

It said the company channeled payroll through Front Line to avoid a federal law requiring workers be paid time and a half for overtime.

"In a lot of ways, what they did unfortunately is not out of the ordinary. The practices are very common in a wide range of workplaces, especially those that use predominantly immigrant workers," said Audrey Richardson, an attorney with Greater Boston Legal Services, which represents the workers.

"It's really only the tip of the iceberg," she said.

The New Bedford factory had won millions of dollars in contracts from the U.S. Defense Department in recent years and officials said it came to rely on illegal workers to meet rapidly growing demand for its products.

According to the 15-page complaint filed on Tuesday, the company also deprived workers of wages by enforcing a tardiness policy that routinely deducted 15 or 30 minutes of pay when workers clocked in as little as one minute late.

The pay was deducted, the lawsuit said, even when the late clock-in was due to long lines because of an inadequate number of time clocks. The company also failed to compensate workers for time spent in lines waiting to clock out, the suit said.

Doug Baily, spokesman for Michael Bianco, said the allegations are the same as those filed by the government when the factory was raided. "As they are subject of an ongoing federal investigation we are reserving comment," he said.

In a separate lawsuit filed in March, the immigrants detained in the raid accused the government of acting in bad faith by rapidly moving them to detention centers in Texas and denying them adequate access to lawyers.

The New Bedford factory raid, the largest of its kind in New England, came as the U.S. government tries to reform its immigration laws and crack down on people who enter the country illegally and those who employ them.

The aggressive nature of the raid, and the speed with which federal officials moved more than half the workers 2,400 miles away to Texas detention facilities, drew criticism both in the United States and in Latin America.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »

What this company did was wrong and overtime pay should be given to appropriate employees.

Does anyone else see the problems with this incident? It makes it sound like it is the governments fault that children were left stranded. These illegals knew the risk they were taking yet they exposed their children to these risks. The government has no way of knowing how many of these illegals have children in this situation and I'm sure that if and when they do they will do something about it if at all possible.

Second, illegals working in a factory that makes Military uniforms?? Yes, some uniform items like BDU's can be easily obtained through places like surplus stores. Most uniforms, other than BDU's cannot be obtained that easily. Having illegal workers gaining access to them makes it a more dangerous situation for our Military and our general public.

Our nation is at war people. Wake up!

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:16:14 PM »

Pastor Roger, I couldn't agree with you more!  This is prevalent throughout the country, and our government endorses it.  Cheap labor for the businesses, who then line the pockets of politicians.  This indeed is a national security risk.  Recently, at Fort Belvoir located in northern VA, several illegal aliens were arrested who were working for a government contractor.  These people had access to highly restricted areas of our military base!  Of course, this only hit the local news.  Although the mainstream media is privy to this info, they choose to conceal it from the public.  When our next terrorist attack occurs, we can thank our government for refusing to protect the citizens of this country. 

Those who were arrested, have no one to blame but themselves for being separated from their children.  If I choose to break the law, and the consequence is my arrest and possible imprisonment, will our judicial system choose to ignore my infraction so as not to separate me from my child?  I think not.  Our prisons are full of parents who have broken the law.  Some are parents who stole to feed their family.  They still went to jail.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the