Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  NASB( New American Standard Bible)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NASB( New American Standard Bible)  (Read 4248 times)
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2005, 10:32:59 PM »

Pastor Roger.........from the website below that you posted earlier.  

From: http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/

Here's what they say about the NASB.

The Americans responded to England's E.R.V. Bible by publishing the nearly identical American Standard Version (A.S.V.) in 1901.  It was also widely accepted and embraced by churches throughout America for many decades as the leading modern-English version of the Bible.  In 1971 it was again revised and called New American Standard Version Bible (often referred to as the N.A.S.V. or N.A.S.B. or N.A.S.).  This New American Bible is considered by nearly all evangelical Christian scholars and translators today, to be the most accurate, word-for-word translation of the original Greek and Hebrew scriptures into the modern English language that has ever been produced. It remains the most popular version among theologians, professors, scholars, and seminary students today.  Some, however, have taken issue with it because it is so direct and literal a translation (focused on accuracy), that it does not flow as easily in conversational Engilsh.   (the bold is mine)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 10:39:51 PM by cris » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:06:02 AM »

Sister Chris,

I have read the same thing about the NASB from many conservative sources. I've also compared several important passages with it. I do see that it is very literal, and there appears to be no effort to do anything other than literal. As a result, their exact content does not have the poetic qualities of some other translations. I am using the 1901 version of this translation now for Bible study, and I'm considering the purchase of the NASB as I type this post. I'm much more interested in accuracy than I am in poetry and pretty arrangements of words that do not reflect the original Hebrew and Greek.

Notice To All:

This thread is not an excuse to start another KJV ONLY Debate.

Those threads are locked, and attempts to start another one will be deleted.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 07:24:34 AM »

Thank you Cris, I will seriously consider adding one to my study collection. For now I will use the one at Biblegateway.com. There are many versions available there so that a person may compare the verses in the many versions.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 08:04:33 AM »

Sister Chris,

Here's an update for you. I finished my investigation and got the NASB for my main study Bible. I was pleasantly surprised to find a complete package that works with e-Sword, so all of my Bible Study tools that I use several times per day work perfectly with it. It isn't free like the vast majority of e-Sword, but the cost was very reasonable.

I've used it for the last several hours, and I think that I'm going to love it.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Timothy 4:1-2 ASV  I charge thee in the sight of God, and of Christ Jesus, who shall judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:  preach the word; be urgent in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 02:21:55 PM »

Sister Chris,

Here's an update for you. I finished my investigation and got the NASB for my main study Bible. I was pleasantly surprised to find a complete package that works with e-Sword, so all of my Bible Study tools that I use several times per day work perfectly with it. It isn't free like the vast majority of e-Sword, but the cost was very reasonable.

I've used it for the last several hours, and I think that I'm going to love it.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Timothy 4:1-2 ASV  I charge thee in the sight of God, and of Christ Jesus, who shall judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:  preach the word; be urgent in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

E-Sword is just a fabulous study tool. And the versions!!! Man, you can compare verse by verse with so many versions, that the serious student can get exactly what they think God is saying to them. And then after all those versions, you can cross reference with Thayer's lexicon, or numerous dictionaries and commentaries.

But the most exciting is for those really serious Greek scholarly types. You can also read the original Greek textus receptus or the Latin vulgate!!

Still hoping Rick can add Vine's and The New Englishman's Lexicon and Concordance.

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
brandplucked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »

Hi Bep, I wish the other topic had not been shut down.  I would like very much to answer some of the things that were brought up there.  I also would like to clear up the fact that I was in no way suggesting you are going to hell. Sammi completely misunderstood what I was saying.  That thought never entered my mind at all.  I believe you are a brother in Christ and we will spend eternity together with our Lord and Saviour, where we shall know even as we are known, and love Him and all other children of God with unsinning hearts.

Modified to delete Bible bashing.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 05:35:48 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged
Sammi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 03:53:13 PM »

Still spreading love around I see.  Roll Eyes

And if you weren't telling him to go to Hell, what exactly does this mean?

[Have it your way, Bep.  Go for it.  God will hand you over to the logical outcome of your present way of thinking.

Have a nice trip.]

Obviously I wasn't the only one who "mistranslated" it. Maybe you should use a better translation so we don't get confused.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 04:06:53 PM by Sammi » Logged

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 05:38:19 PM »

I am not sure one way or the other about your statement to blackeyedpeas. It seemed rather obvious as to what you meant but seeing as how that statement was made to blackeyedpeas it is really up to him and you on that. I will say that in the future be more careful in your wording of such things.

As for the rest of the discussion I personally am tired of seeing Bible bashing being done by Christians. As blackeyedpeas said,

Notice To All:

This thread is not an excuse to start another KJV ONLY Debate.

This thread will also be locked if any attempt to continue KJV only discussion.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 05:54:52 PM »

Warning for you gotcha104

gotcha104, since you have a problem with a moderator. Well I am a different moderator. Personal attacks are NOT allowed, on Christians Unite. That is in the rules of the forum. blackeyedpeas didn't lock KJV 100% pure. That was another moderator. You absolutely have no respect for anyone but yourself. That is a very un-Christian, for a Christian.

So I willl tell you reight now.
[size=10]This thread is not an excuse to start another KJV ONLY Debate.

[/size]

Bashing of the Bible, I am tired of seeing. It will stop now, or I will lock this thread!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 07:42:13 PM »

ZakDar Said:

E-Sword is just a fabulous study tool. And the versions!!! Man, you can compare verse by verse with so many versions, that the serious student can get exactly what they think God is saying to them. And then after all those versions, you can cross reference with Thayer's lexicon, or numerous dictionaries and commentaries.

But the most exciting is for those really serious Greek scholarly types. You can also read the original Greek textus receptus or the Latin vulgate!!

Still hoping Rick can add Vine's and The New Englishman's Lexicon and Concordance.

Amen ZakDar!

I've been using e-Sword for several years now and love it. It spoils you pretty quickly in Bible studies because so many resources are available all at once and very quickly. I don't know how Rick could have made it any easier to do comparisons, word studies, follow references, and compile personal study notes all at the same time. The free resource list has grown dramatically since I started using e-Sword, so it's anyone's guess what will be added next. I check the lists about twice a month for additions.

The free e-Sword Bible Study Package is much better than many commercial packages that cost over $500, and e-Sword just keeps getting better.

Love in Christ,
Tom

1 Timothy 6:12 ASV  Fight the good fight of the faith, lay hold on the life eternal, whereunto thou wast called, and didst confess the good confession in the sight of many witnesses.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 11:24:09 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I've done considerable prayer and thinking about the KJV Only debates that we had here. I really can't think of anything that has been more negative and divisive for the Body of Christ in a long time. In fact, it is so negative and divisive that it's disruptive for a Christian forum. So, I would vote that it violates the forum rules and it will no longer be permitted here.

As far as I'm concerned, bashing various Bibles belongs only where the devil is being served, some place like a forum for atheists -NOT A CHRISTIAN FORUM! If I have anything to say about it, Bible bashing will never be done here again. However, I only have one vote like each of the other moderators, and ADMIN makes the final decision regardless of our votes.

So, for now, KJV Only and Bible bashing posts are not permitted here.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:3 ASV  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ:

Sammi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 11:44:54 PM »

If regular members had a say, then I would vote with you blackeyedpeas. Smiley

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »

As Brother Tom said it is ultimately up to Admin however I vote the same way. The only thing that could possibly be worse than Bible bashing would be the act of bashing our Lord and Saviour.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 12:31:40 AM »

As Brother Tom said it is ultimately up to Admin however I vote the same way. The only thing that could possibly be worse than Bible bashing would be the act of bashing our Lord and Saviour.

Ditto, for me too.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 12:35:29 AM »

If regular members had a say, then I would vote with you blackeyedpeas. :)

Sister Sammi,

Thanks, I wish that I had put that differently. We haven't had a chance to discuss this yet, but I really feel that everyone feels the same way except for the two King James Onlyists. I really doubt that anything formal will be required for something so obviously destructive and divisive. If ADMIN does want something more formal, we can talk about various options then.

In the meantime, we can pray that all people of the world, regardless of language, receive the GOOD NEWS of JESUS and the CROSS!

Love in Christ,
Tom

1 Corinthians 1:9-10 ASV  God is faithful, through whom ye were called into the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.  Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the