Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:55:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286828 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Prayer, Praise and Promises
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer, Praise and Promises  (Read 94011 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 05:00:20 AM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Source: Prayer, Praise and Promises
Scripture Reference Psalms 18:46-50

David's Doxology

Read Psalm 18:46-50

David closed this long psalm of triumph and victory with a doxology. "The Lord lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let the God of my salvation be exalted" (v. 46). David had been a fugitive. He had been waiting for the day when he could ascend the throne. Now the day had come. How did he respond? He glorified God.

I suppose some of us would have said, "Well, my enemies are gone. Now I can do what I please. My battles are over. I've been put into a large place. Therefore, watch out everybody, here I come!" But David didn't have that attitude at all. He gave glory to God. He ended his song with a hymn of praise to the One who had delivered him. "Therefore I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the Gentiles, and sing praises to Your name" (v. 49). Here was David, a Jew, saying, "I want these Gentiles to know how great my God is." Are you concerned about letting the nations know how great God is? Are you burdened to tell the Gospel to other people? If the Lord has saved you and delivered you, then you should be telling others what He has done for you.

David closed his song of victory by blessing the Lord. "The Lord lives!" (v. 46). Isn't it good to know that we trust in the living God? Some people may worship a dead god, but we don't. We are the children of the living God. David said, "God is alive, and He is my rock and my salvation. I want Him to be exalted." And he concluded, "Great deliverance He gives to His king" (v. 50).

How do you respond after a victory? So often Christians fail to exalt the Lord. You trust in a living God, who protects you and delivers you. He deserves your worship and praise. Have you given God the glory for your victories?

Copyright© 1992, used with permission, all rights reserved.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2006, 06:04:26 AM »

Scripture Reference Matthew 2 Psalms 19:7-14

Seeing God

Read Psalm 19:1-14

Psalm 19 is so familiar to us. The first six verses talk about the glory of God seen in creation. Verses 7-11 talk about the glory and grace of God revealed in the Word, and verses 12-14 talk about God speaking to our hearts. He is revealed in the skies, in the Scriptures and in our own hearts and souls.

Even though creation is in travail because of sin (Rom. 8:22), God's glory is revealed there. Someone has said that if the stars came out only once every thousand years, we'd stay up all night and look at them in awe and wonder.

David gives us two pictures of facing each day. The first is like a bridegroom coming out to meet his bride with wonderful hope and love and joy. The second is like a strong man running a race. David tells us to live a day at a time and to start each day with glory and grace and a goal to be reached.

Unfortunately, some people know only the God of creation. They admire the God of wisdom, power and providence, who made everything. But it's not enough to know only the Creator. We must know God as the Savior. This is why Psalm 19 talks about His revelation in the Word. The Bible is flawless. We can trust it, test it and taste it (vv. 9,10). We need to have this Word in our hearts, and then we can have God living in our hearts as our Savior.

This reminds me of the Wise Men who came to see Jesus. They saw the message up in the heavens. Then they followed the star, and that led them to the Scriptures. The priests told them from the prophetical books where the Messiah would be born. Then they went and worshiped Him.

God reveals His glory in several ways. It's easy to admire God the Creator. But have you trusted His Word? Have you tested and proved it in the furnaces of life? Have you tasted it to find out how sweet it really is? Don't worship only the God of creation or the God of revelation. Let Him be the God of salvation in your heart.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 06:10:20 AM »

Scripture Reference Matthew 2 Psalms 19:7-14

The Perfect Word

Read Psalm 19:7-14

The revelation of God in nature prepares us for His revelation in the Scriptures. Ultimately, Jesus Christ reveals Himself as Savior. This was the experience of the Magi (Matt. 2). the light of nature led them to the light of the Word, which led them to the Light of the World.

The Bible meets the needs of the human heart. No other book is like it. It is God's testimony. Its name is the Law of the Lord. The sun is to creation what the Law is to God's people, bringing light, warmth, life and growth.

The Bible's nature is perfect and pure. The Bible is called the fear of the Lord because we need a reverential, holy, awesome fear of God (v.9). We teach God's Word because it enlightens (v.8). We trust it becasue it is true and righteous (v.9). We treasure it because it is more desired than gold (v. 10). We may even "taste" the Word and test it.

The Bible satisfies every need. It converts the soul. It warns us. There is great reward in keeping the Law. It's a wonder that with God's revelation in nature and Scripture so many people are blind.

The Bible is the book of our heart. Every time we read a book, watch TV or listen to a speaker, something is being written on our hearts. Let God write His Word on your heart. The heart sees what it loves. When we love the Lord with our hearts, we see Him in creation and in the Scriptures.

If God is your Redeemer, He can be your Strength. Live acceptably in His sight, allowing the meditation of your heart to please Him. Then your life will be what He wants it to be.

God is more than the God of creation and the Scriptures; He is the God of redemption. If your heart is filled with Him and yielded to Him, you can have victory over sin. Don't simply worship the God of nature. Get into the Word of God and let God get into you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 06:11:31 AM »

Author:
Scripture Reference Psalms 20:1-9

What Are You Trusting?

Read Psalm 20:1-9

David wrote, "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God" (v. 7). The big question is, What are you trusting today? Everybody trusts in or believes in something. Some people trust in their money or credit cards. Some trust in their strength or expertise or experience. Verses 1 and 2 say, "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble; may the name of the God of Jacob defend you; may He send you help from the sanctuary, and strengthen you out of Zion." The Christian trusts in the Lord, and he exemplifies this trust by praying.

When we are in trouble, what we do to solve our problems and turn our trouble into triumph is evidence of what or whom we're trusting. When the day of trouble arrives, some people reach for their checkbooks. They think money will solve their problems. Others reach for the telephone. They look to friends to solve their problems. While "some trust in chariots, and some in horses," Christians remember the name of the Lord (v. 7). Our faith is in Jesus Christ, and we should not be afraid to let people know about it. "We will rejoice in your salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners!" (v. 5). In other words, we do not hesitate to wave the banner of faith because He will not fail us.

God's name is good. "The name of the God of Jacob defend you" (v. 1). Take time to trust the Lord. Roll your burden on Him. Get your strength from Him. Wave your banner in the name of the Lord, and He will turn your burden into a blessing.

Where do you place your trust? Whereas wealth and others fail you, Jesus never fails. Take whatever burden you are carrying today and give it to the Lord. Trust Him, and He will work on your behalf.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 07:14:27 AM »

Scripture Reference Hebrews 4:12 Ephesians 6 1 John 2:15 1 John 5:4  20:1-9

From Trouble to Thanksgiving

Read Psalm 20:1-9

D. L. Moody did not want soloist Ira Sanky to sing the hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers" because he felt the Church was anything but a victorious army marching off to war. Yet the Bible pictures God's people as soldiers in His army. As soldiers, we must be familiar with Psalms 20 and 21. The first deals with prayer and winning the victory, and the second deals with praise and holding the victory. If we trust the Lord, we will move from trouble to thanksgiving.

Several factors lead us to triumph in battle. The first is prayer This is an essential element in fighting the battles of the Lord because it releases His power. There are no battles like those of the Christian life. We struggle against the enemies of the Lord: the world (I John 2:15), the flesh and the devil (Eph. 6). We must pray according to the will of God. The Word of God and prayer go together (Heb. 4:12; Eph. 6:17,18).

Next, we need to surrender. Before David and his army fought, they worshiped God. That affected his battle plan and his victory. David's "burnt offering" indicated total surrender to God. If we're not walking with the Lord today, we'll not be ready when the battle comes.

Another factor is unity. David and his army had one goal--God's victory. And they had one joy--to serve Him and do His will. The tribes of Israel were a picture of unity. They had one army assembled from 12 tribes.

The fourth factor is faith. Verse 6 says the Lord "saves" His anointed. The Hebrew word used here means He "has saved." That is, God already has given David the victory (I John 5:4). The Church today often trusts in all kinds of horses and chariots but not in the Lord.

The final factor is obedience. David and his army obeyed God's will. The day of trouble can become a day of triumph and thanksgiving if we have trust, which is expressed by prayer, surrender, unity, faith and obedience.

Although you cannot avoid battles, you can be ready for them and, with God's help, be victorious. Are you prepared to do battle? If not, trust the Lord to help you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 23:6 Luke 10:20 Psalm 21:1-7

What Do Kings Need?

Read Psalm 21:1-7

Kings have everything. If you were a king, what would you rejoice in the most? In what did David rejoice? Psalm 21 tells us what it means to be a king--not just for a day but for a lifetime.

We are kings because we are God's children. Jesus Christ has made us kings and priests because He loves us and washed away our sins in His blood. Today, God wants us to reign in life. We are on the throne with the Lord Jesus. "The king shall have joy in Your strength, O Lord" (v. 1). David is rejoicing in the strength that God gave him--strength to walk and strength to war; strength to build and strength to battle; strength to carry the burdens of life. Are you rejoicing today as God's king because He gives you strength?

David continues, "And in Your salvation how greatly shall he rejoice!" (v. 1). He rejoices in God's salvation. We need to do the same. One day Jesus told His disciples, "Don't rejoice because the demons are subject to you. Rejoice because your names are written down in heaven" (Luke 10:20).

David also rejoices in satisfaction. "You have given him his heart's desire, and have not withheld the request of his lips. For You meet him with the blessings of goodness" (vv. 2,3). If we look back, we will find goodness and mercy following us (23:6), and if we look ahead, God is meeting us with His goodness (v. 3). Don't be afraid of today, and don't be afraid of the future. God will meet you with His goodness.

In verse 7 David rejoices in stability: "For the king trusts in the Lord, and through the mercy of the Most High he shall not be moved." I like these blessings we can rejoice in--God's strength, salvation, satisfaction and stability. All of this is for God's glory. "His glory is great in Your salvation" (v. 5).

Many Christians fail to see themselves as kings. But God wants us to reign in life and has provided several blessings that enable us to live as kings. Are you enjoying the blessings of kingship? If not, claim His blessings and start living a life of victory.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 07:16:39 AM »

Scripture Reference 2 Timothy 3:12 Ephesians 4:26 Psalm 21:8-13

Dealing With Enemies

Read Psalm 21:8-13

We don't like them or want them, but sometimes we can't help having enemies. A person is not only known by the friends he makes; sometimes he's better known by the enemies he makes. No, we can't help having enemies, but we can help how we deal with them. This is what David is talking about in this passage. How do you deal with your enemies? Paul said, "All who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution" (II Tim. 3:12). Some people are enemies of the cross of Christ. So if we take our stand at the cross, they will take their stand against us.

David gives us insight for dealing with life's enemies. First, let God's hand work. Keep your hands off. "Your hand will find all Your enemies; Your right hand will find those who hate You" (v. 8). Then, let God's anger burn instead of yours. "You shall make them as a fiery oven in the time of Your anger" (v. 9). There is a righteous anger, a righteous indignation. Paul wrote, "Be angry, and do not sin" (Eph. 4:26). Our Lord was angry when He cleansed the temple on two occasions. Let God's anger blaze, not yours.

Second, let God shoot His arrows. "You will make ready Your arrows on Your string toward their [the enemies'] faces" (v. 12). God's hand will work for you. His anger will blaze for you. His arrows will be shot for you. And He will use all of this for His glory. "Be exalted, O Lord, in Your own strength! We will sing and praise Your power" (v. 13). We can't praise our power, our scheming or our vengeance. But we can praise God's glory and power. When we try to take care of our enemies in our way, we only make things worse. But when we turn the situation over to the Lord, He makes things better. Let God take care of your enemies today, because then He will be glorified, you will be satisfied, and Jesus Christ will have His way.

Are you facing an enemy today? Take your hands off the problem and let God deal with those involved. He will remedy the problem in the best possible way, and Jesus Christ will be glorified.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 07:17:45 AM »

Scripture Reference Matthew 28:20 2 Corinthians 5:21 Matthew 27:46 Hebrews 13:5 Romans 8:28-29 Psalm 22:1-11

What God Won't Do

Read Psalm 22:1-11

"My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" (v. 1).

Those are familiar words. Jesus spoke them from the cross (Matt. 27:46), but they were first spoken by David when he was going through a severe trial.

Jesus Christ was forsaken that we might not be forsaken. God the Father forsook His Son on the cross when He was made sin for us (II Cor. 5:21).

But David says in this psalm, "Our fathers trusted You, and You took care of them; now I'm trusting You, and nothing seems to happen" (vv. 4-6). We can envision David saying, "I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people" (v. 6). He did go through that. But our Lord went through it to an even greater degree. Can you imagine the Lord Jesus, who said, "I am the Good Shepherd," saying, "I am a worm"? But He became a worm for us so that we might become the children of God.

We cannot be forsaken because the Savior was forsaken in our place. We can't be forsaken because of His promise to never leave or forsake us (Heb. 13:5). We cannot be forsaken because of His abiding and eternal presence with us (Matt. 28:20). We cannot be forsaken because of His purpose to work all things together for good to those who love Him (Rom. 8:28). And what is His purpose? That we might be conformed to the image of His Son (Rom. 8:29). David became a beautiful picture of the Lord Jesus Christ. And he had to suffer to do it. In spite of your circumstances and feelings, remember: God will not forsake you.

When you go through trials, your circumstances and feelings can deceive you into thinking God has forsaken you. But the Bible promises us that He will never forsake you. Next time you feel forsaken, remember that God is always true to His Word and will accomplish His purpose of conforming you to the image of His Son.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 10:14:05 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 22:6 Psalm 22:12-21

The Devil's Zoo

Read Psalm 22:12-21

Are you an animal lover? I must confess that, apart from a certain sympathy with cats and a liking for friendly dogs, I don't really care much for animals. My wife enjoys going to the zoo, and I dutifully go along, but I would much rather be in the library.

Do you know that God uses animals to teach us about sin? Today's passage talks about the Devil's entire zoo. "Many bulls have surrounded Me; strong bulls of Bashan have encircled Me" (v. 12). Our Lord was on the cross, and people were acting like animals. That's what is wrong with the world. When we leave God out of our lives, we descend to the level of animals. Here was Jesus on the cross, and the bulls had surrounded Him. Then the lions showed up. "They gape at Me with their mouths, as a raging and roaring lion" (v. 13). "Dogs have surrounded Me" (v. 16). "Save Me from the lion's mouth and from the horns of the wild oxen!" (v. 21). That is quite a zoo! When men put Jesus on the cross, they acted like animals. And He replied, "I am a worm" (Ps. 22 6). Can you imagine bulls and lions and dogs and oxen chasing a worm? Oh, how our Lord humbled Himself for us!

Don't act like a wild animal. You were made in the image of God. Let the Holy Spirit turn you into one of His gentle sheep. The Lord, our Shepherd, is glorified and honored when we don't act like vicious animals but rather like the children of God.

God made you in His image and has placed His Holy Spirit within you. You were made to glorify Him. Are you harboring sin in any area of your life? Keep clean of sin so God can work in you and through you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2006, 04:25:16 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 22:22-31

Resurrection Ground

Read Psalm 22:22-31

The last half of Psalm 22 is an expression of praise. In verse 22 we see a change: The psalmist goes from prayer to praise, from suffering to glory. "I will declare Your name to My brethren; in the midst of the congregation I will praise You."

In this passage we find the Lord singing in the midst of the congregation. Have you ever thought of Jesus singing? We think of Him preaching and doing miracles and teaching and counseling, but singing? "My praise shall be of You in the great congregation" (v. 25). The meek shall praise the Lord (v. 26). All this praise is starting to spread. Praising the Lord is contagious, and if Christians praise him, other people will praise Him, too.

We also find fellowship with other believers. "I will declare Your name to My brethren" (v. 22). And we find a witness to the whole world. "All the ends of the world shall remember and turn to the Lord" (v. 27). I hope you're not living between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. That's a miserable place to live. I hope you're living from Easter Sunday on. How can you tell if you're on Resurrection ground? Are you worshiping and praising the Lord? Are you fellowshipping with God's people? Are you witnessing to others? Are you serving others? "A posterity shall serve Him" (v. 30). We are on Resurrection ground. Let's live like it.

Praise is a natural expression for the believer, especially when considering the implications of our Lord's Resurrection. Are you praising and worshiping our Lord for the redemption He has provided you? Do you fellowship with other believers? Are you reaching out to others who don't know the Lord? Take time to praise God for His great salvation.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2006, 04:42:15 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 23:1-6 John 10:27 Jeremiah 10:23

Expect Changes

Read Psalm 23:1-6

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want" (v. 1). That must be one of the most familiar quotations from the Old Testament. Everybody has some kind of shepherd. Jeremiah said, "It is not in man who walks to direct his own steps" (Jer. 10:23). We are like lost sheep, not able to guide our own lives. We need a shepherd. Who is your shepherd?

When the Lord is your Shepherd, what will happen in your life? First, you will live a day at a time. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life" (v. 6). Psalm 23 talks about all the days of our lives, and they are lived one day at a time when the Lord is our Shepherd. Someone has said that the average person is being crucified between two thieves--the regrets of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow. Consequently, he can't enjoy today.

Second, when the Lord is your Shepherd, you listen for His voice. In John 10:27 the Lord Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice." The Shepherd does not drive his sheep from behind. Rather, He calls them from ahead. How do we listen to the Lord's voice? Through the Word of God.

Third, when the Lord is your Shepherd, you must expect changes. You may have green pastures and still waters. Then you go through the valley of the shadow of death. You have a table in the presence of your enemies. Then you live in the house of the Lord (heaven) forever. You will experience changes in life. Expect them; don't be afraid of them.

When you follow the Shepherd, the future is your friend, because the Lord is going before you. Live one day at a time, following the Shepherd, and you won't have to be afraid.

Some people fail to adapt to life's inevitable changes. As a believer, you need never fear the future. Trust the Shepherd, who goes before you, and listen to His Word. Commit this day to the Lord and thank Him for His guidance.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2006, 04:43:53 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 23:1-6 John 10:27 Jeremiah 10:23

Expect Changes

Read Psalm 23:1-6

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want" (v. 1). That must be one of the most familiar quotations from the Old Testament. Everybody has some kind of shepherd. Jeremiah said, "It is not in man who walks to direct his own steps" (Jer. 10:23). We are like lost sheep, not able to guide our own lives. We need a shepherd. Who is your shepherd?

When the Lord is your Shepherd, what will happen in your life? First, you will live a day at a time. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life" (v. 6). Psalm 23 talks about all the days of our lives, and they are lived one day at a time when the Lord is our Shepherd. Someone has said that the average person is being crucified between two thieves--the regrets of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow. Consequently, he can't enjoy today.

Second, when the Lord is your Shepherd, you listen for His voice. In John 10:27 the Lord Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice." The Shepherd does not drive his sheep from behind. Rather, He calls them from ahead. How do we listen to the Lord's voice? Through the Word of God.

Third, when the Lord is your Shepherd, you must expect changes. You may have green pastures and still waters. Then you go through the valley of the shadow of death. You have a table in the presence of your enemies. Then you live in the house of the Lord (heaven) forever. You will experience changes in life. Expect them; don't be afraid of them.

When you follow the Shepherd, the future is your friend, because the Lord is going before you. Live one day at a time, following the Shepherd, and you won't have to be afraid.

Some people fail to adapt to life's inevitable changes. As a believer, you need never fear the future. Trust the Shepherd, who goes before you, and listen to His Word. Commit this day to the Lord and thank Him for His guidance.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2006, 04:45:31 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 24:1-10 John 3:27

No Bragging Rights

Read Psalm 24:1-10

It can make a real difference in your life if you'll remember Psalm 24:1: "The earth is the Lord's, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein." Because the earth is the Lord's, we can turn it over to Him. What difference will that make?

First, it will remind us that we are stewards and not owners. No matter what we have, we are only stewards of it. God owns everything. He doesn't own just the cattle on a thousand hills; He owns the Cadillacs in a thousand garages! God owns what you possess, and if He doesn't want you to have it, you'd better get rid of it. That brings humility, not pride. You can't brag about what you have if God gave it to you. John the Baptist said, "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven" (John 3:27).

Second, it makes us victors and not victims. The world doesn't belong to the Devil. God has given him a certain amount of authority and freedom, but the earth is the Lord's. Jesus, not Satan, is on the throne of heaven.

Third, it causes us to praise and not to complain. I like the repetition at the end of this psalm: "Lift up your heads, O you gates! And be lifted up, you everlasting doors!" (v. 7). "Lift up your heads, O you gates! And lift them up, you everlasting doors! And the King of glory shall come in" (v. 9). Nothing will lift up one's head like realizing that God is in control. He's the King of glory. Wherever He rules, there will be grace and glory. If you want that kind of blessing, just remember that the earth and all its fullness is the Lord's. It doesn't belong to you; it belongs to Him, and He is in control.

Good stewardship is one of the great responsibilities of the Christian. You need to maintain a humble attitude toward what God has given you. Make sure you submit to His control. His generosity and grace are great blessings that make you a victor.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 25:1-7

Don't Be Ashamed

Read Psalm 25:1-7

Have you ever been so ashamed that you wanted to go somewhere and hide forever? Did you want to dig a hole, crawl into it and then pull the hole in after you? Read verses 1-3: "To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You; let me not be ashamed; let not my enemies triumph over me. Indeed, let no one who waits on You be ashamed; let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without cause." David was concerned that he would bring disgrace upon the name of the Lord.

When we are anxious not to be ashamed, we want to live a life that is true to the Lord. We don't want anyone to use us as an excuse for sin or to single us out as "one of those Christians." So one of our first considerations must be the glory of God. This is what David talks about in verses 1-3. He is saying, "God, I don't want anybody to do anything that will rob You of glory." Why don't we do certain things? Because God won't be glorified. Some things might not hurt us, and some places might not defile us, but they might hurt the glory of God. They might harm an immature believer. When my wife and I started to have a family, we discovered we couldn't leave certain things on the table. When she and I were the only ones in the apartment, I could leave a knife on the table or a pair a scissors on the floor--but not when the children came along.

Our second consideration must be the will of God. "Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me" (vv. 4,5). To bring glory to God and obey His will, we must depend on the grace of God. "Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses" (v. 6). When these three elements are in your life, you will never be ashamed or bring disgrace to the name of the Lord. Instead, you will live a life that pleases Him.

Being true to the Lord involves consideration of His glory, will and grace. Do your actions and words bring glory to God? Are you living in His will? Are you depending on His grace? Take care to honor God with your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 23:3 Psalm 111:10 Psalm 25:8-15

Follow Your Leader

Read Psalm 25:8-15

I have little sense of direction. Fortunately, my wife has built-in radar. If she didn't travel with me, I'm afraid I often would be lost. David talks about the guidance of God in these verses. So much has been said about God's guidance. Does He still guide us? Does He have a specific plan for each of our lives? How does He guide us? David gives us some simple advice on receiving God's guidance.

We must start with meekness. "The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way" (v. 9). Meekness means that we are not telling God what to do; we are not counseling Him. Who could possibly be His counselor? The meek person receives the Word of God and is submissive to His will. "All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth, to such as keep His covenant and His testimonies" (v. 10). God does not reveal His will to those who are curious. He reveals His will to those who are obedient.

God guides those who are concerned about His glory. "For Your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great" (v. 11). Surely goodness and mercy follow us, but they won't unless we are walking in the will of God for His glory, for His name's sake. "He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake" (Ps. 23:3). That leads us to the fear of the Lord. "Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses" (v. 12). "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Ps. 111:10). Finally, we must be alert to God's guidance. "My eyes are ever toward the Lord" (v. 15). We must watch and pray. We must keep our eyes open if we want our Shepherd to lead us.

God desires to lead His sheep and use them for His glory. Is your life characterized by meekness, obedience, a desire for God's glory and the fear of the Lord? As you remain alert to His leading, you may be assured of His guidance in the decisions and steps of your life.

Copyright© 1992, used with permission, all rights reserved.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the