Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Christian Devotional
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Christian Devotional  (Read 78942 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: August 08, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »

Sheep or goats!

Matthew 25:37-39 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

A friend sent us this story about a young lady named Sally and her experience in a recent seminary class, given by her teacher, Dr. Smith. Dr. Smith was known for his elaborate object lessons. This particular day, Sally walked into the class and knew they were in for a fun day.

On the wall was a big target and on a nearby table were many darts. Dr. Smith told the students to draw a picture of someone that they disliked or someone who had made them angry, and he would allow them to throw darts at the person's picture.

Sally's friend drew a picture of girl who had stolen her boyfriend. Another guy drew a picture of his little brother. Sally drew a picture of a former friend. The class lined up and began throwing darts. Some of the students were throwing their darts with such force that their targets were ripping apart and everyone was laughing hysterically.

Finally, Dr. Smith asked all the students to be seated. He came to the front of the class with a less-than-amused look on his face. As he began removing the target from the wall, there appeared underneath, a picture of Jesus. A hush fell over the room as each student viewed the mangled picture; holes and jagged marks covered Jesus' face, and His eyes were pierced.

Dr. Smith said only these words. "In as much as you have done it unto the least of these my brothers, you have done it unto Me." Matthew 25:40.

What a powerful analogy. Phew. When we "throw darts" at our brothers and sisters, friends and even strangers, we are actually piercing our Lord too. Let's get right with the Lord and others today. It's a good season for reconciliation. There's so much work to be done!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: August 08, 2009, 12:11:43 AM »

Time for testing!

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

One of the more neglected commandments of the Lord among us is to test all things to see if they are of Him. In Revelation, John spoke of a number of churches that were influenced by the enemy. It's no mystery that satan loves to infiltrate the body and spread confusion!

Many of us don't realize that in this age, where spiritual deception is running rampant, we have actually been given the Spirit of Truth! But here's a question. Do we ask the Spirit of Truth to guide us?

We need to be on guard! We need to test everything fervently! Let's ask our Friend, the Spirit of Truth, to guide us and keep us on the straight and narrow path. There's so much work to be done!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #842 on: August 08, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »

How many white hairs have you been given?

Matthew 7:2-5 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

A dear friend recently sent us this funny story and we couldn't help but share it with you.

One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of white hair sticking out in contrast upon her brunette head. She looked at her mother and inquisitively asked, "Mom, why are some of your hairs white?"

"Well", her mother replied, "every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turns white."

The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then said, "Momma, how come all of Grandma's hairs are white?"

A funny story, yes -- but isn't it true that we're always looking for someone to blame for our imperfections? The Lord warned us about the danger of pointing out the faults of others. He said that people with planks in their eyes should not attempt to remove specks out of other people's eyes. Somehow, we lose sight of this so quickly! We are all still growing. None of us has arrived! We need to be aware of how the enemy tries to ensnare us in this way.

I don't know about you but I tend to agree with the person who said "The only person I want removing splinters out of my eyes is someone with a clear vision and a gentle touch!"

Let's ask the Lord to help us to see the ways we've been judgmental and become people with clear vision and a gentle touch! We should be building up one another and encouraging each other so that the work of the Lord may go forward and we may rejoice together in the blessing!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: August 08, 2009, 12:13:18 AM »

It's time to cut down trees!

Col 3:13-14 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things put on charity (agape), which is the bond of perfectness.

After the Civil War, Robert E. Lee visited a Kentucky lady who took him to the remains of a once beautiful old tree in front of her house. There she bitterly cried that its limbs and trunk had been destroyed by Federal artillery fire. She looked to Lee for a word condemning the North or at least sympathizing with her loss. After a brief silence, Lee said, "Cut it down, my dear Madam, and forget it."

The enemy is constantly attacking the body of Messiah. Some of his most effective tactics are anger, bitterness and unforgiveness. Paul wrote that we should never be ignorant of the enemy’s schemes (2 Cor. 2:11), and our lives should be marked with love one for another….and above all things, to put on charity. The word charity in Greek is the word agape!

Jesus has come and has forgiven us. We simply need to forgive others. We must base our relationships with others on the same criteria that God bases His relationship with us: love, acceptance and forgiveness. Our acts of forgiveness will set the captives free ... and at the end of it all, we may realize that we were the captives!

Let’s cut down the battered trees in our lives! Let’s seek to be forgivers and to put on agape love.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #844 on: August 08, 2009, 12:14:12 AM »

Stop pretending!

Psalms 56:2-4 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High. What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Some experts believe that acute stress can provoke changes in the heart that may lead to death. In one study, fifteen cases were identified in which people died after a physical assault, even though the injuries alone were not enough to kill them. Eleven of the fifteen showed a type of heart-cell death, similar to a reaction in experimental animals that feel helpless to anticipate or avoid danger.

We live in a day that godlessness is on the rise -- a day in which the world (and even some of the church) is motivated by money, power and the desire for worldly pleasures -- a day in which the fruit of this behavior is apparent even to the worst of us. It's a scary time.

Even amidst these frightful times, though, isn't it wonderful to know that we don't have to pretend we're not afraid? God knew we would be afraid from time to time. But He encourages us to redirect our attention to put our trust again in Him. He, who is all powerful and watches over us intently. What a gracious and compassionate Father we have!

Let's ask the Lord to help us keep our focus on trusting Him for all things. When we are focused on this, there's no stopping us from doing the great things He has called us to do! And there's SO much work to be done!!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #845 on: August 08, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »

Be broken!

Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

The word contrite in Hebrew is 'dakah' which means one that is crushed to pieces. Paul wrote of being a 'living sacrifice' holy and acceptable to God. Being a living sacrifice means we often can walk off the altar. To be a continual living sacrifice we need to renew our minds day to day! Let your mind be renewed -- off the things which are worldly and onto those things which are Godly. When our minds are focused on those things above, on His holiness, His righteousness, His grace, and His mercy -- we realize that we can always be closer to Him! We understand what Isaiah meant when he said, "our righteousness is nothing but filthy rags before the Lord."

When God provided for Himself the perfect sacrifice, His Son, 2000 years ago -- His heart bursted! His heart was cut through -- cut for you! God desires you to be a living sacrifice and a necessary ingredient is a heart that has been cut through by God's sharp knife. When you allow your heart to be continually cut through by God's Spirit, then your life will be a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable before Him!

It's wonderful what God can do with a broken heart, especially when we give Him all the pieces!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: August 08, 2009, 12:15:51 AM »

Find courage in the face of opposition!

Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Since we’ve recently returned to the States, it’s been a whirlwind of travel, speaking, and recovering from jet lag – but we’re doing GREAT!

On this particular trip I've been impressed by the Lord to address the anxieties many are feeling about the future-- how to be strong in the face of the intense opposition we’ll be facing as believers. One of the founders of the modern state of Israel, David Ben-Gurion once said, “Courage is a special kind of knowledge, the knowledge of how to fear what ought to be feared and how not to fear what ought not to be feared. From this knowledge comes an inner strength that inspires us to push on in the face of great difficulty. What can seem impossible is often possible with courage.”

While Ben Gurion's words carry a certain worldly wisdom to inspire courage, we also can have courage which comes from a special kind of knowledge...the knowledge that we have a God who loves and supports and protects us and carries us through, even the most trying times and circumstances. So let’s not become fearful in these days – but instead become bold as a lion, to accomplish the good works He prepared for us from the foundation of the world. Let’s walk with courage in these days in the knowledge that our God is with us, and with Him we will accomplish great things that seem impossible, because we know that He turns impossibilities into realities!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #847 on: August 08, 2009, 12:17:02 AM »

Break through, and set new precedents!

1 Chron. 20:4-8 And it came to pass after this, that there arose war at Gezer with the Philistines; at which time Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Sippai, that was of the children of the giant: and they were subdued. And there was war again with the Philistines; and Elhanan the son of Jair slew Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, whose spear staff was like a weaver's beam. And yet again there was war at Gath, where was a man of great stature, whose fingers and toes were four and twenty, six on each hand, and six on each foot: and he also was the son of the giant. But when he defied Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimea David's brother slew him. These were born unto the giant in Gath; and they fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.

When Saul was king of Israel, there were no giant slayers in their midst; so when Goliath stood against the armies of Israel, the Israelites trembled! There was, however, a young shepherd, whose intimate knowledge of His God inspired and empowered him to fight the evil giant, and defeat him.

David's victory over Goliath paved the way for those after him to slay the giant's offspring, who were also giants. So when those giants arose to fight, they already had knowledge that they could be defeated. David's breakthrough had set a powerful precedent for all of Israel's "mighty men".

All around us there are "Goliaths", evil giants...but none of them are "undefeatable". In fact, we have an entire Bible full of examples of saints who stood their ground and routed their enemies. Let’s follow their example, and set new precedents fighting the giants of our day. We too can leave a legacy of victory, inspiring our children and grandchildren to victory over the "sons of Goliath"!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #848 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »

Pomp...or circumstance?

Romans 16:25-27 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

In the year 1920, young Oswald Smith stood before the examining board for the selection of missionaries. He had wanted to be a missionary for as long as he could remember, and for all that time had been crying out to God that He might open a door for him to do so. Finally, his time had come. There he stood awaiting his destiny. His long-awaited was about to come...“No.”

Smith had not met the missionary board's qualifications and was turned down for service. After a time of disappointment, he decided that if he couldn't be a missionary, he would build a church which would raise up some. And that is precisely what he did. The church he planted sent out more missionaries than any other church of its time. And God used Oswald Smith mightily for His Kingdom.

This is what happens when we don't let our circumstances rule us. We will always be victorious.

Have you been disappointed recently? Not all our hopes and expectations come to pass like we think they should. Let's not let it get us down. Surely God has something better! Continue to seek. Continue to knock. Continue to ask. Continue to get revelation. We need to be walking in victory!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: August 08, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »

Build your legacy!

Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

At a time when thousands of people were dying each year of rabies, Louis Pasteur, pioneer of immunology was working on a vaccine. Just as he was about to begin experimenting on himself, a 9-year-old boy, Joseph Meister, was bitten by a rabid dog. The boy's mother begged Pasteur to experiment on her son. Pasteur injected Joseph for ten days-- and he lived. Decades later, of all the things Pasteur could have had etched on his headstone, he asked for three words: JOSEPH MEISTER LIVED.

We are called to save lives too. Our greatest legacy will be those who live eternally because of our efforts.

Thousands of people are dying each year, so many who don't know the love and truth of their Messiah. Let's make ourselves available to be used by the Lord for His Kingdom for Christ's sake!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: August 08, 2009, 12:20:10 AM »

Learn to trust the Giver!

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

F.B. Meyer once said, “The education of our faith is incomplete [till] we learn that God’s providence works through loss…that there’s a ministry to us through the failure and fading of things. The dwindling brook where Elijah sat is a picture of our lives. ‘Some time later the brook dried up’ (1 Kings 17:7) is the history of our yesterdays and a prophecy of our tomorrows…learn the difference between trusting in the gift and trusting in the Giver. The gift may last for a season but the Giver is eternal. If the Lord had led Elijah directly to the widow at Zarephath, he’d have missed something that helped make him a better man – living by faith. Whenever our earthly resources dry up it’s so we may learn that our hope and help are in God.”

The world is engulfed in a financial crisis, and there are many that are wondering how they are going to pay their bills. When we first moved to Israel just over 5 years ago, we left the United States with just a few thousand dollars and a few suitcases. We honestly didn’t know how we were going to survive financially. But in those first few months, we saw the faithfulness of God as He provided in the most miraculous ways. And it was during that season that we learned how God truly provides for His saints. Over the years, we’ve had to take huge steps of faith which seemed impractical and illogical through earthly eyes – but we took those leaps, and God has always provided – often at the very last minute! But something the Lord taught me early on -- if it’s the Lord’s will – it’s the Lord’s bill!

Even though we’re living in this "economy" -- if you are a saint of God then you're in His economy -- and in His economy, the resources are not limited. Let’s keep our focus on the GIVER, instead of the gifts!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #851 on: August 08, 2009, 12:21:27 AM »

Don't lose focus!

Romans 16:25-27 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

Colonel G.W. Goethals, the man responsible for the completion of the Panama Canal, had major problems with the climate and the geography as it was being built. If that wasn't enough to deal with, he had an even bigger problem. It was the growing criticism back home from those who predicted he'd never finish the project and had opinions about how to do it better.

One day, a colleague asked him, "Aren't you going to answer all these critics?"
"In time," answered Goethals.
"When?" his partner asked.
"When the canal is finished."

We, who know Jesus and have given our lives to his purposes have a big task at hand -- a bit bigger, I would say, than the building the Panama Canal. There is a world of people who are hungry to know God and the time is short.

The climate and geography may not be ideal and people around us might be critical, but the task still remains -- and we who love God must all contribute and stay focused!! Yes, we may come across some obstacles along the way but we cannot let them distract us from our calling!

If you haven't been focused on sharing the Good News with the lost, let's take this opportunity make it a goal today. If each of us led only one person to the Kingdom, can you imagine what a difference that would make?! People are searching -- it's not as hard as you think!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #852 on: August 08, 2009, 12:22:22 AM »

Get me to the church on time!

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and exhorting one another with all wisdom, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, all with grace 2 in your hearts to God.

A disgruntled church-goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained: “I've gone to church for thirty years now, and in that time I have heard something like three-thousand sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. I think I'm wasting my time and the Pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This began a major controversy which went on for weeks until someone wrote in this reply:

"I've been married for thirty years now. In that time my wife has cooked some three thousand meals. For the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this ... they all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work...”

Hmmm. So true. We need our spiritual nourishment to be able to do the work of the Lord effectively! Corporate worship, fellowship with our brothers and sisters and Godly counsel are a great means to get it!

God does not want us to isolate ourselves! He wants us to be in consistent fellowship with like minded believers, teaching and exhorting one another, singing psalms and spiritual hymns together! Let us not forsake the assembling of ourselves together (Heb.10-25)! There’s so much work to be done!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: August 08, 2009, 12:23:16 AM »

Claim your promises!

2 Corinthians 1:20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

As our family goes to Kentucky for a wedding this weekend, I thought I'd bring out an important lesson related to marriage.

In a traditional Jewish marriage, a contract known as the 'ketubah',(which means 'that which is written', in Hebrew) is signed be both the bride and groom. Originally, it included the price of the bride, the promises that the groom must keep and the rights to which the bride is entitled.

The ketubah was the unalienable right of the bride. It promised that the groom would work for her, honor her, support her and maintain her in truth, but most importantly, that he would never leave her side all the days of her life.

Unfortunately, these days, this contract is often broken. There are many who haven't kept their promises like they should. But each of us who know the Lord, have been given a ketubah of sorts -- it's the Bible. Within our ketubah, are all the promises of God -- and God is not a man that He should lie!

We are His bride! Let's claim the many promises He has made to us and stand in faith, knowing that He will keep His Word!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: August 08, 2009, 12:24:10 AM »

Prepare yourself!

Revelation 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

We just left one of the most memorable weddings we've ever attended in Kentucky. As we travel to South Carolina tonight, the wedding reminded me of our first wedding in Jerusalem in 2003, before our major ceremony in the States. It was just a small gathering at her father's house but it was so sweet as my wife elaborately prepared for our wedding. Her dad prepared beautiful and delicious Israeli delicacies. We built a chuppa (Jewish wedding canopy) from her great grandfather's tallit (Jewish prayer shawl). A Paul Wilbur CD played softly in the back round and about a hundred candles lit the living room. My soon to be wife had spent hours bathing and doing her hair and getting beautiful for the occasion and finally out she came. It all was so romantic, well planned and wonderfully prepared.

We are our Lord's bride! And in the same way, we have a responsibility to prepare for His return! We have some work to do, don't we?

Let's examine our hearts today and lay it all out before Him. Let's give Him the first fruits of our day in worship and study and prayer and allow Him to refine and cleanse us -- that we may be found a bride without wrinkle or spot – that we would be found a holy and righteous and beautiful bride for Him and our celebration together would be glorious!

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the