Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Homosexuals blast surgeon general nominee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Homosexuals blast surgeon general nominee  (Read 1448 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2007, 07:47:56 PM »

Homosexuals blast surgeon general nominee 
'He has a pretty clear bias against gays and lesbians'

President Bush's nominee for surgeon general, Kentucky cardiologist Dr. James Holsinger, has come under fire from gay rights groups for, among other things, voting to expel a lesbian pastor from the United Methodist Church and writing in 1991 that gay sex is unnatural and unhealthy.

Also, Holsinger helped found a Methodist congregation that, according to gay rights activists, believes homosexuality is a matter of choice and can be "cured."

"He has a pretty clear bias against gays and lesbians," said Christina Gilgor, director of the Kentucky Fairness Alliance, a gay rights group. "This ideology flies in the face of current scientific medical studies. That makes me uneasy that he rejects science and promotes ideology."

Holsinger, 68, has declined all interview requests, and the White House had no immediate comment Wednesday.

Holsinger served as Kentucky's health secretary and chancellor of the University of Kentucky's medical center. He taught at several medical schools and spent more than three decades in the Army Reserve, retiring in 1993 as a major general.

His supporters, including fellow doctors, faculty members and state officials, said he would never let his theological views affect his medical ones.

"Jim is able, as most of us are in medicine, to separate feelings that we have from our responsibility in taking care of patients," said Douglas Scutchfield, a professor of public health at the University of Kentucky.

In announcing Holsinger as his choice for America's top doctor May 24, Bush said the physician will focus on educating the public about childhood obesity.

The previous surgeon general was Dr. Richard Carmona, whose term was allowed to expire last summer. Carmona issued an unprecedented report condemning secondhand smoke.

Holsinger received his bachelor's degree from the University of Kentucky, master's degrees from the University of South Carolina and Asbury Theological Seminary and a doctorate and medical degree from Duke University.

Scutchfield said Holsinger has advocated expanded stem cell research, in opposition to many conservatives, and also has shown political courage in this tobacco-producing state by supporting higher cigarette taxes to curb teen smoking.

Gov. Ernie Fletcher commended Holsinger for working to fight obesity and other health problems in this Appalachian state, which ranks near the bottom in many categories. "He helped get the ball rolling and focusing on healthy lifestyles," Fletcher said.

As president of the Methodist Church's national Judicial Council, Holsinger voted last year to support a pastor who blocked a gay man from joining a congregation. In 2004, he voted to expel a lesbian from the clergy. The majority of the panel voted to keep the lesbian associate pastor in place, citing questions about whether she had openly declared her homosexuality, but Holsinger dissented.

Sixteen years ago, he wrote a paper for the church in which he likened the reproductive organs to male and female "pipe fittings" and argued that homosexuality is therefore biologically unnatural.

"When the complementarity of the sexes is breached, injuries and diseases may occur," Holsinger wrote, citing studies showing higher rates of sexually transmitted diseases among gay men and the risk of injury from (a homosexual lifestyle).

Holsinger wrote the paper at a time when the church was one of numerous denominations considering a more open stance on allowing practicing homosexuals to join. It took that step in 1992, saying gays are of "sacred worth" who should be welcomed. Practicing homosexuals are still prohibited from serving in the clergy.

Gilgor, the gay rights activist, called the paper "one twisted piece of work."

As for the congregation Holsinger helped establish, Hope Springs Community Church, the Rev. David Calhoun told the Lexington Herald- Leader last week that the Lexington church helps some gay members to "walk out of that lifestyle."

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, which is opposing the nomination along with the Human Rights Campaign and other local and national groups, calls such a practice "nothing short of torture" for gays.

Phyllis Nash, who worked under Holsinger for nine years as vice chancellor at the medical center, said the views he took in church appear at odds with his professional actions.

She recalled a women's health conference that Holsinger helped organize in 2002 that included a session on lesbian health. Despite complaints from some lawmakers, Holsinger insisted the session go forward, she said.

"His reaction in support could not have been any stronger," Nash said. "He said, as health care providers, we have to be prepared to meet the health needs of anyone who walks into the door."

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:49:55 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:51:16 PM »

Yep, the truth can be torturous.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:08:12 PM »

"When the complementarity of the sexes is breached, injuries and diseases may occur," Holsinger wrote

Which is why the Bible says, it is an abomination in Gods eyes.

Leviticus 18:22 You shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:53:56 PM »

Whoever replaces Bush will open the door of hell in the acceptance of the gay and lesbian party...the gay issue is big and what once was filth is now given sympathy.  The right to same sex marriages is going to come out in the coming election...I just do not think we are going to have any one who is a christian to be the head of our country...I see the decline of a government under God...As Abraham prayed for Lot...we will pray for our nation...and we will be persecuted for offending many as John the baptist was beheaded for offending...

Sincerely...

Maryjane
Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 11:37:37 PM »

We might also beheaded as well,  in the future.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:15:51 AM »

We might also beheaded as well,  in the future.
Only those that live after the Rapture happens.  That will happen in tribulation, Pizza Mahal.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:31:19 AM »

Well Pizza...that is true...but until then...we have work to do...
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:37:12 AM »

but until then...we have work to do...
AMEN sister AMEN

Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:20:51 AM »

Only those that live after the Rapture happens.  That will happen in tribulation, Pizza Mahal.
I thought rapture happens after tribulation or before God Wraths.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:38:05 AM »

Here is a time line, I have worked out following the Bible.  It may not happen the way I think but, I'm 95 percent sure of this.

From my webpages, Christianty Rocks link this is about 3/4 the way down the page.

Ezekiel 38 & 39 happen before, or right after the Rapture.  Only the Father knows when the Rapture will happen, though we do have clues we will not go through tribulation.

The Anti-christ makes a seven-year covenant with Israel Daniel 9:26-27
Two witnesses begin their three and a half year evangelistic ministry Revelation 11: 3-6
Israel lives in peace and rebuilds under the patronage of the Antichrist Ezekiel 38:8
The world church (one world religion) dominates religion and the Antichrist Revelation 17
Temple sacrifices are instituted  Revelation 11: 1-2
First Seal - The Anti-christ becomes a world leader for peace with the support of his confederacy Daniel 9:7, 20, 24; Matthew 24: 4-5;  Revelation 6: 1-2; 13:5, 7; 17:12-13
Second Seal - War   Matthew 24:6-7; Revelation 6:3-4
Third Seal - Famine  Matthew 24:7b; Revelation 6:5-6
Fourth Seal - Death  Matthew 24:7-8; Revelation 6:7-8
Fifth Seal - Martyrdom of converted multitudes Matthew 24:9-10; Revelation 6:9-11; 7:9-14
Sixth Seal - Cosmic disturbances and worldwide fear of divine wrath Matthew 24:15-21; Revelation 6:12-17
144,000 Jews are saved and sealed Revelation 7:1-8
A large multitude of people are saved Revelation 7:9-17
Seventh Seal - Silence = Seven Trumpet judgments Revelation 8: 1-2
This is the first 3.5 years.

Middle of the Tribulation
Satan cast down from heaven by Michael (Revelation 12: 7-12)
The Anti-christ breaks his seven-year covenant with Israel (Daniel 9:27)
The 10 kings united under the Anti-christ destroy the world church (Revelation 17: 16-18)
The beast martyrs the two witnesses (2 Thessalonians 2:4; Revelation 11:7-12)
The ''Abomination of Desolation'' (Daniel 12:11)

Second Half of Tribulation.
The Anti-christ is revealed as ''the man of lawlessness'' (2 Thessalonians 2: 3, 8-9)
The image of the Anti-christ is set up for worldwide worship and promoted by the false prophet ( Daniel 9:27; Matthew 24: 11-12, 15; 2 Thessalonians 2:4, 11; Revelation 13:4, 11-15)
the mark of the beast is used to promote worship of the antichrist (Revelation 13: 16-18)
First Trumpet - Hail and fire mixed with blood, and 1/3 of earth's vegetation destroyed (Revelation 8:7)
Second Trumpet - 1/3 of sea becomes blood, 1/3 of marine life killed, and 1/3 of ships destroyed (Revelation 8:8,9)
Third Trumpet - 1/3 of fresh water poisoned (Revelation 8:10,11)
Fourth Trumpet - 1/3 of sun, moon, and stars darkened (Revelation 8:12)
An eagle proclaims three woes which are the last three trumpets
Fifth Trumpet - (First Woe) - Demon locusts attack and torment unbelievers for five months (Revelation 9:1-12)
Sixth Trumpet - (Second Woe) - 4 angels are loosed who kill 1/3 of mankind; 200 million man army assembled (Revelation 9:13-21)
Seventh Trumpet - (Third Woe) - The seven bowl judgments (Revelation 11:15-19)
First Bowl - Boils inflicted on those who had the mark of the beast or worshiped his image (Revelation 16:2)
Second Bowl - All seas turn turned into blood and every living creature in the sea dies (Revelation 16:3)
Third Bowl - Rivers and springs turn to blood (Revelation 16:4-7)
Fourth Bowl - Sun scorches men with oppressive heat (Revelation 16:8,9)
Fifth Bowl - The kingdom of the beast is plunged into utter darkness that causes continual pain (Revelation 16:10,11)
Sixth Bowl - Euphrates River dries up to facilitate the movement of the confederacy's army (Revelation 16:12)
Seventh Bowl - Earth is shaken by tremendous earthquakes, great noises, and huge hailstones, and the cities of the world will be destroyed (Revelation 16:17-21)
The last 3.5 years of Tribulation.

End of Tribulation
The armies from the East and the North move toward Palestine (Daniel 11:44; Revelation 16:12)
Jerusalem is ravaged (Zechariah 14:1-4)
Commercial Babylon is destroyed (Revelation 16:19; 18:1-3, 21-24)
Signs appear in the earth and sky that signal the beginning of the end (Isaiah 13:10; Joel 2:10, 30-31; 3:15; Matthew 24:29)
The Messiah (Jesus ) returns to earth with the armies of heaven to destroy the godless army of the antichrist (Matthew 24:27-31; Revelation 19:11-16)
Armies of the earth unite at Armageddon against Jesus and the armies of heaven (Joel 3:9-11; Revelation 16:16; 19:17-19)
The armies of the earth are destroyed by Jesus (Revelation 19:19, 21)
The Anti-christ and the false prophet are thrown into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 19:20)
Satan is bound for 1000 years, and tossed into the lake of fire. After the time is up,Satan will be released for a short while. (Revelation 20:3)

Both of my webpages are in my sigline.  There is alot of information, you can us for the Glory of God.

Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 02:57:52 AM »

THX! Sorry for taking your time,

I will add this to my scrapbook

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 03:06:49 AM »

Pizza...That's cute...
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 03:10:11 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I think there are several pretty good reasons to believe that the CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST will be Raptured before the Tribulation period. We have several pretty large threads on the forum discussing just about all views of this.

I won't argue about this, but I'll give a couple of simple reasons why I think that the Rapture is before the Tribulation Period. If you want tons of details, there's enough for years of study already on the forum.

1 - THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST is not appointed unto wrath - rather for deliverance.

2 - It's fairly clear in Daniel and other portions of Scripture that the Tribulation Period was determined against Israel, not THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. The two are completely separate, and both have specific Promises that GOD will fulfill.

3 - The "Great Restrainer" will have to be removed before many of the evil things in the Tribulation Period can take place. The "Great Restrainer" is THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD, and THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD WAS GIVEN TO THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD lives in our hearts.

4 - Here's one to think about. a) No power in the universe can break the SEAL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT on the hearts of Christians. b) Those who take the Mark of the Beast in the Tribulation Period will be LOST and damned to hell. c) The Beast can't break the SEAL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD, so THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST will already be gone and Home in Heaven.

5 - The Rapture and the Second Coming of CHRIST are two separate events. At the Rapture, the CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST (living and dead) is caught up to meet the LORD in the air. The LORD doesn't come all the way down to earth at the Rapture. The SECOND COMING OF CHRIST is in GREAT WRATH all the way down to the earth. We already know beyond any doubt or argument that the SECOND COMING OF CHRIST is at the end of the 7 year Tribulation Period.

There are many other reasons, but this is more than enough for thought. On the opposite side of the coin, there are others with fairly reasonable arguments that the timing of the Rapture could be different. There are three primary schools of thought about the Rapture:  1) Pre-Tribulation, 2) Mid-Tribulation, 3) Post-Tribulation. It's a great study and discussion, but it isn't something that Christians should argue about to the point of getting angry. I might add that there are some Christians who don't believe in a Rapture at all.

Love in Christ,
Tom

KEEP LOOKING UP!

THE RAPTURE WILL BE A REALITY!

1 Thessalonians 4:13 NASB  But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 NASB  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 4:15 NASB  For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 NASB  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

1 Thessalonians 4:17 NASB  Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4:18 NASB  Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1 Corinthians 15:50 NASB  Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

1 Corinthians 15:51 NASB  Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,

1 Corinthians 15:52 NASB  in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

1 Corinthians 15:53 NASB  For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

1 Corinthians 15:54 NASB  But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.

1 Corinthians 15:55 NASB  "O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O  DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?"

1 Corinthians 15:56 NASB  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law;

1 Corinthians 15:57 NASB  but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:58 NASB  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 03:20:40 AM »

Hello Dreamweaver,

Brother, I wanted to add that I have copied your timeline from your web site and studied it. I think that you have done some excellent work. I think that I have about 400 years worth of study material on Bible Prophecy, so I've given up on studying everything in great detail. I'm relatively sure that I won't physically live long enough or JESUS CHRIST will come for us first.   Wink

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 03:28:50 AM »

It is a major topic among debators as well as the debate Grace vs Law...Non christians will debate Revelation and it is hard for them as they debate what they do not know...The fact is...He is coming..!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the