Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:38:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Edwards: U.S. 'not a Christian nation'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Edwards: U.S. 'not a Christian nation'  (Read 1242 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »

Edwards: U.S. 'not a Christian nation' 
'The word bothers me ... I think that America is a nation of faith'

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who says he prays daily and has a personal relationship with God, rejects the notion that America is "a Christian nation."

"There's a lot of America that's Christian. I would not describe us, though, on the whole, as a Christian nation," he told the Web site Beliefnet. "I guess the word 'Christian' is what bothers me, even though I'm a Christian. I think that America is a nation of faith."

The former North Carolina senator said he was raised in "a very Christian home" and attended a Southern Baptist church, where his dad was a deacon, but "drifted away" from God when he went to college and got married.

In 1996, when his teenage son died in a car wreck, everything changed, he said. "[In] the days after that, when I was trying to survive and Elizabeth's trying to survive, my faith came roaring back," he said, referring to his wife.

Edwards said he believes that God "will always be there for you," and he said he prays daily. "My faith informs everything I think and do," he said, but he added that he strongly believes in the separation of church and state.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »

I would have to agree. How could a nation that takes God and Jesus out of everything, be called a Christian nation?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:40:55 PM »

I would agree that it is not now a Christian nation. His indication though is that it has never been a Christian nation. With this I must disagree. The United States was founded on Christian principles by many Christian men. If we are judged by our fruits then I would have to say that John Edwards is not a Christian either.

His voting record:

# Right to abortion is constitutionally protected. (Jan 2004)
# Voted NO on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
# Voted NO on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
# Voted NO on banning partial birth abortions. (Oct 1999)
# Rated 100% by NARAL, indicating a pro-choice voting record.
# proposes to expand gay civil rights
# an anti-family voting record
# anti-Christian voting record

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »

Okay I didn't know about him, in fact I don't know much about politics. Don't know much about anything really. Anyways, I do know that the United States was founded on Christian principles, but it doesn't seem that way now.
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »

Pastor Roger, you are absolutely right.  Our nation was founded on Christianity, and for many years, in spite of numerous injustices (slavery for one), was very much a Christian nation.  Unfortunately, God has been systematically removed and/or diminished by our government who has bowed to atheists and anti-Christian special interest groups.  The prohibition of school prayer, is a primary reason I have paid to send my teenage son to a Christian school since he was in kindergarten.  I do not want my child to be in an environment where God is not welcome.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »

Just like all people, Christians included, the U.S. never was a perfect Christian nation. It couldn't be since it was constructed by imperfect people. The only perfect Kingdom is that of Jesus. Just as in each Christians life we are to strive for that perfection, a daily battle between good and evil. You are very right in including an environment where God is the center. If we allow God to be removed as the U.S. is doing then we are giving up on that battle and letting evil win in our lives. If God is not welcome then neither are we. That is standing up for Jesus.

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »

Amen, Pastor Roger.  We must stand up for Jesus.  He is the only way.  They may remove Him from whatever they wish, but they will never remove Him from the hearts of true believers.  They cannot control the minds of those who truly trust in the Lord, nor can they alter the Spirit of the One and Only God.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »

Amen Faithin1, I must say that if all Christians stood up against all the evil that is going on in our nation right now:

Abortion
Homosexual marriages
Illegal Immigration
Removing God from everything and everywhere
Political correctness
Trying to change our Constitution

If all Christians stood up against these things and took action we would have a fighting chance, but sad to say many are falling into many categories ie, let someone else do it, what difference can I make, what's the use, God's will be done. (and we are His ambassadors, we are chosen to stand up for Him) It is our job to stand up for Jesus, just as He went to the cross for us.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 12:57:20 PM »

There is also another movement amongst those claiming to be Christians. There are many now that are saying that we as Christians should not be involved in the political arena in any fashion going on the idea of "not being concerned with the things of this world". Unfortunately the lack of action on these people are also making it difficult for those that want to spread the Gospel, putting a stumbling block in the way of the lost hearing the word of God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:03:52 PM »

There is also another movement amongst those claiming to be Christians. There are many now that are saying that we as Christians should not be involved in the political arena in any fashion going on the idea of "not being concerned with the things of this world". Unfortunately the lack of action on these people are also making it difficult for those that want to spread the Gospel, putting a stumbling block in the way of the lost hearing the word of God.

Brother, you are right, and the biggest ones are the JW's

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
David_james
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »

I would do something but I can't unfortunatly. Except pray but I can't even do that right
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »

Hi David,

I realize that you are somewhat limited, so are many that are here on the forum for similar reasons that you have, but there is always something that we can do even if it is just praying. As for doing that right, brother, the Lord understands what is in our hearts and therefore understands our prayers, perhaps even better than we ourselves do. All we can do is the best that we are capable of.

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:39 PM »

Pastor Roger, you are correct. That is precisely the reason I am no longer involved with another Christian site.  I really enjoyed the fellowship, but there could be no political discussions or discussions that the admin considered controversial.  I posted a thread to discuss the ridiculous claims being made regarding the so-called family grave of Jesus.  The thread was immediately closed and I was admonished to "read the Bible, not listen to newscasters."  Later, the admin added a comment that the thread could remain (albeit closed) as a reminder of how ridiculous the world is.  We may not be "of this world," but we are still "in this world" and accordingly, we must deal with situations that impact us not only as Christians, but as human beings.  When we discuss issues facing our world on Christian websites, we must also realize that some who visit these sites are not Christians and may be seeking the truth.  If we avoid discussing subjects such as the claim that is being made about Jesus, I fail to understand how we are truly helping people who may be lost and in search of the true Word of God.  Avoiding a subject does not make it disappear.  As Christians, we must constantly dispel lies intended to discredit the Bible and our Lord.  Thankfully, ChristiansUnite provides a forum for these topics to be discussed.

David_james
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 01:48:36 PM »

Hi David,

I realize that you are somewhat limited, so are many that are here on the forum for similar reasons that you have, but there is always something that we can do even if it is just praying. As for doing that right, brother, the Lord understands what is in our hearts and therefore understands our prayers, perhaps even better than we ourselves do. All we can do is the best that we are capable of.

Thank you for words of encourgement.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 02:04:57 PM »

You're most welcome, brother.

Faithin1,

Facing the topics that are in the media today provides us a great opportunity to witness to the lost and to encourage each other in facing these trials and tribulations. We do have somewhat of a limit on some subjects here because we do have very young children that do visit our forum. It is a Christian Family forum and as such there are some subjects that are not appropriate for indepth discussions such as abortion. While we do allow discussions on abortion we try to keep it clean enough for young children's viewing of it.

In all we must glorify God. Unfortunately many so called Christian web sites have even given a pulpit for non-Christians to post and support their beliefs. While there maybe some differences between Christians on certain subjects there should not be any place on a Christian web site for the pulpit of the devil. That does not mean that we as Christians cannot peacefully discuss these differences or how to handle the things of this world.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the