Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286817 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Seventh Day Adventists
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Are Seventh Day Adventists (SDAs) Christians or a cult?
Christian - 15 (48.4%)
Cult - 13 (41.9%)
undecided - 3 (9.7%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seventh Day Adventists  (Read 14916 times)
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2004, 04:35:03 PM »

Just going to church services on the Sabbath will break the Sabbath.

Unless you have a church that has no pastor, no plumbing and no electricity.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
Trev

This space for rent.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2004, 05:25:17 PM »

Hey Reba.
impossible  

Your word was impossible i used the word hard because i cant spell well so i went and copied from your post the word impossible.

Where have I used the word "impossible" to mean that God's Sabbath is impossible to keep? Please refrain from taking one word out of context of the entire sentence.

These are the sentences I wrote which contain the word "impossible":
My point is simply this: God would never ask the impossible. God knows everything, and He knows that it is possible to keep the Sabbath.

Do you think God would give us a law which is impossible to keep ?
Here I was asking you a question, and I am still awaiting a response.

This person is too lazy to write a signature.. lol !
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2004, 06:39:35 PM »

Do you think God would give us a law which is impossible to keep?

I'm not answering for Reba (I'm not wise enough), but if God's Old Testament laws were possible to keep, then Jesus Christ died for nothing.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2004, 08:12:31 PM »

Hey Reba.
impossible  

Your word was impossible i used the word hard because i cant spell well so i went and copied from your post the word impossible.

Where have I used the word "impossible" to mean that God's Sabbath is impossible to keep? Please refrain from taking one word out of context of the entire sentence.

These are the sentences I wrote which contain the word "impossible":
My point is simply this: God would never ask the impossible. God knows everything, and He knows that it is possible to keep the Sabbath.

Do you think God would give us a law which is impossible to keep ?
Here I was asking you a question, and I am still awaiting a response.

Yes HE did  that is part of the reason Jesus  Was always His plan.

I am sorry i missunderstood you, in reguards to the word immposible.
Reba
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2004, 08:13:18 PM »

I'm not answering for Reba (I'm not wise enough), but if God's Old Testament laws were possible to keep, then Jesus Christ died for nothing.

Amen!
Trev

This space for rent.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2004, 11:09:03 PM »

I don't think I am following you.
Why would God give us the Ten Commandments if there was no way of keeping them? I don't understand how God can ask the impossible. The Bible says "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 KJV
As I have said all along, God never asks the impossible.

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2004, 01:28:06 AM »

I'm not Jewish.  I referred to kosher since you were mocking me.  Here's a widely known fact:  Jesus was Jewish.  I would bet everything I have that Jesus didn't get up in the morning and eat a ham and cheese omlette with a side of bacon.  You think after He rose again, any of that changed?

Anyway, I am NOT judging anyone, and I never will.  It was this post judging SDA's for not eating pork.  What you do is between you and God.

What I choose to do is to try to understand the entire Bible and try to treat my body as a temple.  This means eating right, not smoking, not drinking, etc.

I am sorry you thought I was mocking you, that was not my intent. I asked a serious question.
What is wrong with pork?
Would you eat catfish, lobster?
Ostrich?
These are all unclean meats.
I have talked to other 7th day worshipers, and they try to make a connection between the unclean meats and health. I even had one explain to me that the nitrites and nitrates in pork was what made them unhealthy. Of course this is a bogus excuse since these are recent additives to pork. I suggested he buy nitrate and hormone free, like I do. Ostrich is a very healthy meat to eat. The biggest health risk with lobster is the butter.
I think you are a little smarter than that, but I wanted to know why you felt pork was not OK to eat. Is it for health reasons only, and do you feel that is what God was saying? Or do you do it for ritual reasons?
It is not one of the 10 commandments, so why do you pick and choose which rules to follow and which to not follow.
If you are not eating pork because you are being obedient to God concerning unclean meats then why aren’t you being obedient to God by sacrificing animals and going to Jerusalem yearly?
Of course Jesus was Jewish, and the laws of unclean meats and the Sabbath law were directed to the Jews.
Did they change after He rose? YES!
As I pointed out in reply #36 God did indeed change the Sabbath day. It is found in the original manuscripts, and at least 2 translations get it right.
---
From Young’s Literal Translation:

Matthew 28:1 ¶ And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,
---
The body is Christ, a body casts a shadow.

Colossians 2:16 ¶ Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Colossians 2:17  Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Did the commandment concerning unclean meat change? YES!
It was also a shadow pointing to the work done by Christ.
After Jesus was resurrected the nation of Israel was no longer Gods chosen people. The gospel was made available to all mankind. This is why the shadow of unclean meats was removed in Acts 10 and 11.

Acts 10:13  And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Acts 10:14  But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Acts 10:15  And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

The unclean meats were a shadow pointing to unsaved man. Once Christ went to the cross the shadow was no longer necessary. Now we are washed clean in the blood of the lamb.

1 John 1:7  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

God showed Peter, by using the unclean meats, that we are to no longer separate the clean from the unclean.

Acts 10:28  And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

How is not eating pork, ostrich, or catfish not eating right?

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2004, 02:05:53 PM »

Hello Left Coast,

I was out of town on the business of giving away all that I own so I can be free to follow the Lord.  I'm afraid my friends will try to lock me up because of it so I didn't really mention the Lord.  It's about the Lord, but it's also about I'm tired of dragging all that stuff around.  The first time I moved I gave up everything because I get so tired of people being slaves to their stuff.  They're slaves to getting stuff and keeping stuff.  I promised myself I would never again collect stuff.  Five years later I have amassed massive amounts of stuff again.  I'm trying to get rid of it.  Sadly, it's in another state so I didn't have time to sell it, my job is here and I took off two days to go take care of it.  Instead, I gave it away in hopes and massive prayers that some good use will be put to it.  Now I'm exhausted.
Hi Candice

Before I was ever married, I used to move a lot. One of the benefits of moving a lot is getting rid of stuff. I know what you are talking about.
It’s been over 20 years since I was able to dump things by moving. I have quite a collection.
I don’t find I am so attached to anything that it interferes with following the Lord.
My parents both died about 10 years ago, I ended up with a significant amount of their stuff on top of my own.
My mother was a very talented glass artist, I inherited some nice pieces of art. I have 4 children, they are not really children anymore, 10 years ago they were.
Glass + Children = Broken glass. Whenever something got broken I did find myself wondering why it hurt so much. It was just a material thing, but with memories attached.
If your possessions get in the way of your relationship with Christ then I can see the advantage of eliminating them.

Anyway, I'm not claiming to be an expert on Greek.  I'm just claiming to know that some translations can be laughable if they are translated word per word.  Especially when the concept that develops out of the translation is laughable.  And even more especially when there's something to be gained by the mis-translation--then it's not so much laughable as much as possibly evil.
While it is true that the translations can have errors, I don’t believe it was done because of evil intent.
We have an imperfect understanding of Gods word. The translators do the best they can, but there will be errors in translation.

1 Corinthians 13:9  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

As others look at the translations they often work to correct the errors, more often than not I think they screw it up more.
As more and more people try to attack the KJV I have found it holds up very well. It was the first bible to be available to the masses, thanks to the printing press.
The Gutenberg bible was the first bible to be printed on the printing press, but it cost the equivalent of 3 years wages for the common man.
I believe God was very much involved with the printing of the KJV because it would become so readily available to the masses.
Scholars, with good and faithful hearts, have looked at these verses concerning the roles of women. They come to the same conclusion, the translation is accurate and faithful to the manuscripts.
Earlier when I showed how sabbatwn was mistranslated (reply 36) I did not come to that conclusion on my own. I learned it from the work of scholars, that studied this in great depth. Fortunately we have the tools to check out their conclusion.  

I'll just go with laughable.  If a person just went with the translation the way those scriptures translate then it would be boiled down to women must trust in men.  The Bible tells us that Wicked are those who trust in men.
Why do you hate men so much?
Where do you find this?
We are not to trust in the wisdom of man, we are to trust in God. This means man, as in men AND women. There are plenty of Jezebels out there.
Many trust in the works of scientists, male AND female, instead of trusting in the word of God.  

Also, how can you explain the female prophets and the female judges of old if it was against God's will for women to teach.  And how do you explain away the female leaders of churches in Paul's day?  
We were talking about those verses relating to the woman’s roll in the church. When people are assembled together to hear the word of God.
Women do have the responsibility to teach the children and the older women are to teach the younger women.

Titus 2:3  The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
Titus 2:4  That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

You seem to want to teach women to hate men.

And then when you come to think about it, there are so many interpretations of what "church" actually is.  But if the "church" is the body of Christ, like I believe it to be, then the interpretation of those scriptures is saying that women can't be leaders in the body of Christ and women can't be teachers in the body of Christ.  That's laughable.  Hence, there is evidence that the interpretation is correct EVEN if it is word per word interpretation, the concept is incorrect based on the rest of the Bible.

There are two churches.
Where we assemble together on this earth it is a church. These assemblies are made up of believers and nonbelievers. 1 Timothy and 1 Corinthians 14 is talking about these assemblies. God gives us the guidelines to follow.
I believe that one of the signs we are close to the end is shown by how few churches follow Gods guidelines. Today we not only have divorced, gay, and never married men running the churches. We have women and even lesbian ministers.
The other church is Gods divine church. It is made up of all true believers. As you correctly noted it is the body of Christ.
The true believers are defined as being the bride of Christ.

Revelation 21:9  And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife.

In Gods Spiritual Church ALL believers both male and female are considered to be the wife.
So now we take on the spiritual roll of the woman, are you going to tell Jesus, your husband, what to do?
I will happily learn from God in silence, asking my husband (Jesus) in private.

I really don't want to argue.  I'm just happy to be able to fellowship with fellow beleivers.  I feel utterly sick because I had to spend a whole weekend with folks that don't value the things that I value and feel that my ideas are unaceptable.  At least among Christians we can expect the confession that things should be a certain way.  Even if us Christians don't live up to our ideals, at least we have ideals.  I had to sit and listen to someone tell me that humans are animals and they will follow their animal desires and all that stupid stuff.  I can only take so much of it and that's when I'm glad to be back in the Christian chat room where we argue about petty things--at least they seem to be because the important thing is that Christ died for our sins and we agree on that.

Peace.
I agree, Christ died to pay for my sins.
We have strayed off topic a lot. It does belong in the thread started by His_child. Unfortunately I really will be limited in what I can contribute to the forums, and did not want to get on another thread.
I felt I needed to reply to you because I am concerned about your attitude toward men. I see a lot of animosity in your words.
Some would think I would have grounds to be angry toward women, but I take responsibility for my choices.
As I look back on my life I find that many of the women I came closest to had the same dysfunction.
There were many wonderful women but for some reason I didn’t stay with them. I am a rescuer, and it has gotten me women with problems.
Now I am divorced, and yet by Gods word still attached. I no longer date, as my wife still lives. Knowing my choices, I hope she lives a long time.  Grin

John  

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2004, 03:39:12 PM »

Trev asks:
Why would God give us the Ten Commandments if there was no way of keeping them? I don't understand how God can ask the impossible.

The Hebrews couldn't keep all of God's laws - that's why they had to make sacrifices at the alter.
We are so blessed that Jesus made the Final Sacrifice!

The Bible says "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 KJV
One of my favorite verses!  And... you may have me there... I'm not sure I can answer you.  Jesus said if we had the faith of a mustard seed we could move mountains - but we don't see a lot of mountains being moved... (has any mortal ever accomplished the feat?)

And to prove it was possible to keep His laws, He came to earth as a man and never sinned.  If we only had His strength...  But we don't (at least I don't).

God wants us to live perfect lives.  I certainly can't - though I wish I could.
 Smiley

God Bless,
JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2004, 03:52:40 PM »

Trev asks:
Why would God give us the Ten Commandments if there was no way of keeping them? I don't understand how God can ask the impossible.

The Hebrews couldn't keep all of God's laws - that's why they had to make sacrifices at the alter.

The Bible says "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 KJV
One of my favorite verses!  And... you may have me there... I'm not sure I can answer you.  Jesus said if we had the faith of a mustard seed we could move mountains - but we don't see a lot of mountains being moved... (has any mortal ever accomplished the feat?)

And to prove it was possible to keep His laws, He came to earth as a man and never sinned.  If we only had His strength...  But we don't (at least I don't).

Smiley

God Bless,
JN

Good post Grin
When we become saved it is our desire to obey God because God has changed the heart.

Ezekiel 11:19  And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
Ezekiel 11:20  That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

But we still have a body of flesh that will sin. It creates quite a war in us.

Romans 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Romans 7:23  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Romans 7:24  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Romans 7:25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Reba
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2004, 05:03:36 PM »

Trev asks:

Smiley

God Bless,
JN

Nicely said  X
Trev

This space for rent.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2004, 11:27:38 PM »

Smiley

God Bless,
JN

Well you said it. It is possible to keep His laws. I am not even sure why we are discussing this. It seems we are on the same page here. In our own strength, our righteousness is as filthy rags;however, Christ promised in Philippians 4:13 that nothing is impossible as long as He strengthens us.

Reba
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2004, 12:28:28 AM »

Here is a list of people who have kept 'the Law"

1. Jesus Christ

Go ahead add to the list, lets see how many we can think of....
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2004, 12:44:45 AM »

My brother in Law is an SDA and they believe that one of their pastors keeps every law. He hasn’t sinned in so many years. I don’t believe he’s never woken up with a “morning glory” or stubbed his toe and never thought of saying “Sh—“  or added a little extra brown sugar on his Sanitarium corn flakes.
They make me laugh.

Cheesy Cool
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2004, 09:16:44 AM »

Just going to church services on the Sabbath will break the Sabbath.

Unless you have a church that has no pastor, no plumbing and no electricity.

It only breaks the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law.   Jesus taught us the spirit of the law is what is important.  That is why feeding yourself as the Apostles did, or healing someone as He did is not breaking the Sabbath.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the