Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:25:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286815 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Will Your Church Be Closed For Christmas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Your Church Be Closed For Christmas?  (Read 995 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2005, 12:48:14 AM »

From Christian Web Life
Another excellent publication of Christians Unite.
Subscribe at   http://www.christiansunite.com/

1.) Will Your Church Be Closed For Christmas?

by Paul Proctor

CHRISTMAS IS GOING to fall on Sunday this year. That hasn't happened since 1994 and won't happen again until 2011. In years past, this might not have been much of an issue; but considering today's chummy Church of charm and chatter and the celebrated catapulting of all inconvenience, discomfort and offense from among the brethren; I would say the following question is in order:

Will your church be closed for Christmas?

The blind irony of it all is just magnificent; like the Chief Priests and Scribes not wanting to kill Jesus on the Passover. (Mark 14: 1-2)

It was brought to my attention recently by someone whose daughter was so disappointed by her church's decision to not hold worship services on Sunday, December 25th that she wrote her pastor in protest. After telling the young lady how much he loved her, this courageous Man of God actually chastised her for questioning the consensus; citing, among other things, the difficulty of rounding up day care workers on Christmas and the importance of being with family; adding pathetically that we really don't know what day Jesus was born on anyway.

I'm sure the Wise Men from the East and their enormous entourage could have come up with a lot better excuses than these for not following that Star through the night to worship the Christ Child; not to mention Noah, Abraham, Moses and David and all the logistical problems they had to endure in their worship and service to the Almighty; and the Apostles as they struggled through the remainder of their persecuted lives taking the Gospel to a strange and hostile world.

No, it seems this year many of us are going to honor that Blessed One who was born to be nailed to a Cross for our sakes and sins by taking our ease, trading our toys, watching our TVs and munching out en masse before happy nappy time.

I don't know about you; but I'm just glad the Lord has never been pragmatic; especially during that memorable visit to the Garden of Gethsemane where He sweat drops of blood over all that awaited Him while the leaders of the soon-to-be church, snoozed.

Well friends, it seems the church is spiritually dozing off once again; because if you haven't yet noticed, food, family, fun and fellowship have now become the new measure of all things Christian; and beginning this Christmas, officially more important than gathering on Sunday to worship the Lord in Spirit and in Truth.

Take a look at all of the websites, promos, commercials, brochures, and bulletins of today's more popular churches in your community and notice, if you will, what they glorify and promote just in pictures alone. Chances are you'll see nothing portraying the terrible cost of discipleship and the inherent loneliness and suffering of the Christian that was so prevalent in the Early Church and throughout the New Testament; only very attractive and photogenic church members, models and musicians laughing, singing and frolicking about before the camera's lens as if following Christ was just another fashionable form of entertainment or recreation reserved for the beautiful, privileged, talented and well-to-do.

From a pragmatic perspective, I suppose it's really not all that strange that today's church, being big business now, would be closed on Christmas Sunday considering they're run these days by CEOs and consultants rather than under-shepherds and bondservants, except that more and more big businesses are opening on days once set aside for worship; point being, the sacred and the secular are trading places leaving the world around them morally and spiritually confused.

Unfortunately, when you muddy the "rivers of living water" for fun and profit, you're not left with much to drink.

"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." - Hebrews 10:23-25

(My Note:  Many churches will have services on Christmas. In fact, many churches will have extra services, special programs, plays, singing, and family time to worship the LORD. I must add that we can and should have special times in the LORD every day, not just on Sunday or at Christmas.)

Bronzesnake
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 04:06:39 PM »

Hello Tom.

My church is wide open on Christmas!!
First with services, then a Christmas dinner for anyone who wants to scarf down an a++++ meal cooked by farm women!! You can't top that!

John
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 04:15:17 PM »

Hello Tom.

First with services, then a Christmas dinner for anyone who wants to scarf down an a++++ meal cooked by farm women!! You can't top that!

John

Hi Brother,

It's great to see you here. Hope you are doing better.

My Church is also open on Christmas. It is open everyday.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 07:28:22 PM »

Hello Tom.

John

Hi Brother,

It's great to see you here. Hope you are doing better.

My Church is also open on Christmas. It is open everyday.

Brothers, my Church is also open. As it is open every day.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 04:56:42 PM »

Hello Tom.

John

Hello Brother John,

It's great to hear from you and see you on the forum. I was in bed with the flu, so I'm late in answering your post. By the way, I love your new signature graphic. I have no idea how you did it, but it is beautiful.

The more I think about it, the better I like saying and thinking about:  JESUS CHRIST IS KING!! For me, the thought that follows really makes me feel good and happy. I AM A CHILD OF THE KING!! I know how unworthy I am, but the finished work of JESUS CHRIST on the Cross has made me fit to obtain and claim a full inheritance as a Child of God. Silver and gold don't interest me much any more, but I love to think about the spiritual riches that are eternal. EVERYONE - STOP! for just a moment and think about what it really means to be a child of the KING, ALMIGHTY GOD! If you don't feel good and happy about this precious thought, shut out the world, get quiet, and think about it again. It's the TRUTH and it's REAL! - we are children of the KING, ALMIGHTY GOD! Smile, sing, give thanks, praise and worship the KING!

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

Brother John and other Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I hope and pray that the Love and Peace of JESUS fills your hearts and homes EVERY DAY! In other words:

Be Merry

IN CHRIST!!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Titus 3:4-7 NASB  But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the