Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286820 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Where U's Live and Facts about It?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where U's Live and Facts about It?  (Read 2790 times)
TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2004, 01:29:07 PM »

Theres a thread going on in the womens room that i find sooo interesting and so i thought maybe I'd try a thread roughly the same here.. Id love to see where yous are all from and maybe even somehting interesting about where yous live, like  For instance.. I live in Canada.. In New Brunswick  where we have alot of really interesting things like the coal mines and  heres something thats kinda interesting,,
The world's longest covered bridge was completed in Hartland in 1899. It's 390 metres ( 1,282 feet ) long and spans the Saint John River. There are 62 covered bridges in the province. Many of them are in the Sussex area of Kings County- the Covered Bridge Capital of Atlantic Canada.
and alot of other things  so please share where yous live and some interesting facts about your town, city, state., and if ffr canada.. your province! Ill share what i can think about New Brunswick to If ya'll join in!
Dont yous agree that God did a wonderful job when he made this world!!  so lets share!
Looking forward to reading what yous got to share!
Luv TL
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 01:55:22 PM by tigerlily » Logged

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 02:06:28 PM »

I live in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan right now (though Pennsylvania was my favorite place to live so far!) Its the piece of state that's shaped like a glove.

There are a few government-protected "virgin forests" here, hundreds of years old, missed when Michigan was almost totally deforested as it first became a state. Nobody wanted to live here in those days; too much swamp. It was a junk land. It went at a very cheap price. (Now folks pay upwards of a half million dollars for some beach property.)

I love the swampy, woodsy areas; but where we live, its mostly sand and beech forests, only a few miles from Lake Michigan. We get all the "lake effect" storms and snows. In winter the shallow places on the Lake look like the face of the moon, all bumped and pocked with ice and sand. Teenagers like to walk out on the ice, and almost every year someone dies by falling through a weak spot into the heavy current below. We also lose a lot of young people who walk out on the piers during storms; danger doesn't always taste so sweet.

In the Upper Penninsula, autumn comes early, and the trees have brighter colors. There's more wilderness and less people. Being so close to Canada, the currency is a mixture of American and Canadian money, and many scenic spots have French names.

The common salutation here (among women) is "Hey lady!" In Pennsylvania, it was "How youns doin?"

In MI, if something is slippery, its "slick"; in PA, its "slippy".

We've got "Michigan U-ies", U-turns all along the highways if you need to change direction.

PA has their coal mines and tree farms; Michigan has blueberries, everywhere, which grow well in sandy soil, as well as greenhouses in abundance.

Where we lived in PA, our city was the "Christmas Tree Capitol of the World." So we moved out to MI...and we now live in the "Christmas Tree Capitol of the World"... LOL! One has the title for selling the most trees; the other has been selling trees the longest time.

That's my nook in a nutshell.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
TigerLily
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 02:18:06 PM »

oh wow Willowbirch, thats so cool!! thanks for taking part in this!
its sad tho that so many young people get hurt or die that way but we also have alot of kids doing foolish things here where i live, drugs are rampid here sadly.. and there have been several die just in my exact area from walking accross a rail road bridge and falling off into the water,,
ok heres another kinda cool fact about N.B.
The inventor of the ice cream cone was born in Sussex corner- the Dairy Capital of Canada, mid-way along the Fundy Coastal Drive. Locals tell the story of baker Walter Donelly who made a bad batch of dough. He was at a loss with what to do with his hard, crispy pastry. So, he ran next door to the ice cream parlour….and the rest, as they say, is ice cream cone history.

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »

I’m in East Texas. The Summers are Hot and dry, and the winters are cold and wet. I live back and Forth between Tyler and Jacksonville, which are like right in the center of East Texas.

Tyler is a large city, about 100,000 or more people. It is one of those Cities that is big, but hardly big enough to have fun in. We have clubs, coffee shops, Specialty shops, a mall, A University, a College, and a Junior College, and a TON of apartments.  It is your average City, I guess.

A 30 minutes south, we have Jacksonville. J’ville, as we call it, is a Norman Rockwell town with a Southern setting. We have about 15,000 people. We are run my 2 Baptist Church that basically war over everything. We have all kinds of interesting Shops. We have one restaurant called “Stamps” where someone bought the 60-80 year old Post Office (With all kinds of old brass and green and black marble and stuff), and made it into a place of fine dining. It is very interesting. We have a Single High School and 2 Junior colleges. As you know, my folks are working on a coffee house. The old men still hang out in the Barber shops. We have “Roland’s Next Door” which is a club for all the folk musicians in town. A Lawyer (Roland Brown) bought a back ally room next to his office, and all the Blue Grass and Celtic and other folk guys hang out. He have a Massive Football Stadium build in the 30’s on a hill downtown, build by the CCC, and 90% of the town is there on Friday nights in the Fall. We are a HUGE High School football town. Every time there is an away game, there are more people on our side them the side of the home teams! We have a youth center called the Eagles Nest, and some of the teens hang out their. Wal-Mart is the main place of Shopping It is one of those massive Wal-Mart super centers, so it has a ton of stuff, from food to sporting goods to Electronics.

Well, I think that covers my area.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
TigerLily
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 10:13:08 PM »

When it's winter time in New Brunswick

The gentle breezes blow,

About seventy miles an hour

And it's fifty-two below.

You can tell you're in New Brunswick

'Cause the snow's up to your belt

And you take a breath of winter air

And your nose holes both freeze shut.

The weather here is wonderful,

So I guess I'll hang around;

I could NEVER leave New Brunswick now,

My feet are frozen to the ground

LOl well that kinda discribles NB in the winter..
TL
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 10:20:51 PM by tigerlily » Logged

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 11:44:29 PM »

I know near where Tigerwilwee lives--P.E.I., Prince Edward Island.   The setting of "Anne of Green Gables".... Smiley

I'm just a wabbit.  I wiv wherevuh they hav pwenty of cawwhuts...

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 08:56:45 AM »

I live in London.
Um, facts about us...the Queen lives here some of the time. When the Queen Mother died there was a massive procession along the streets, brass bands and ceremonial soldiers everywhere - very nice. I saw Princess Diana's coffin go by too.
It rains all the time.
Step outside my house and you'll fall over half a dozen tourists. Usually Japanese tourists.
Shakespeare's Globe is just over the river, where they rebuilt his theatre so his plays could be performed just as they originally were - though I never fancied standing for several hours and I can't afford seated tickets so I've never been!
There are actors all over the place - I keep seeing Ian McKellen drunkenly staggering about with young men. I saw Jim Carrey once as well.
The whole place is full of blue plaques showing which famous person lived where.
Virginia Woolf drowned herself near where I live as well.

I don't really like London though, I'm from the North myself.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
TigerLily
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 09:43:17 AM »

oh symphony i know where you live lol and its NOT the carrot patch, alothough im sure you have had many nice carrot patches in your gardens  Wink

Broken... London sonds kinda wet and dreary  Sad are you in school there or just moved there?
 where in the norht are you originally from?
thanks for sharing!!
God bless.
TL

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 10:23:22 AM »

Hey Tigerlily,

I graduated from university in July, and moved down here because my parents and I moved down some years previously.

I'm originally from a place called Whitley Bay, on the coast near the border with Scotland. Its a nice place, if a little bizarre. There is a great dome called the Spanish City, very old seaside town, though they've torn down the amusements and rides that used to be in there. Its a shame really, a lot of the amusement arcades have shut as well, as Whitley Bay is making more of a name for itself as a nightclub/bar place than anything. Still at least it does quite well for itself from it - because its very near the city of Newcastle.

Its a nice place, there is an enormous promenade, right the way down the coast, and you can walk from Whitley to the other little towns - Cullercoats (full of boats and old fishermen) to Tynemouth (with its famous long sands and ruined priory) and even further to North Shields and the docks, if you go inland from the Tyne. There's a lighthouse (St Mary's) which you reach by a causeway at low tide where I remember going to paint rocks during school holidays when I was little. The beaches are nice, though the water isn't - not at Whitley Bay anyway, they're not very clean (though that never stopped anyone swimming in them and apparently they are better now) and with a vicious current that sees quite a few drownings every year. There are rocks in the sea as well, which is why the lighthouse is there, they're called the Black Middens and you can climb on them.

The whole place is full of Roman remains as Hadrian's Wall is there (a nearby town is called Wallsend). Every time they try to build something new, they find bits of Roman settlement, which annoys the builders no end. In fact they cover them up again now, because otherwise no work would ever get done. We used to get so bored with the Romans at school, as we were forced to go look at bits of pot all the time! There is an interesting history of religion in the North as well - it was known as the cradle of Christianity in England for a time, when the south was invaded by the Danes. St Cuthbert lived on Lindisfarne (Holy Island) just to the North, where the Lindisfarne Gospels were written and illustrated in Old English. After he died, they took Cuthbert to Durham Cathedral, where he is still buried - and they say there is a curse on his tomb to stop people trying to open it. Someone did try not too long ago, but was frightened away by falling masonry. Here and there there are streets memorialising the monks who used to trade salt up and down the country, as well as priories and monasteries which survived the Reformation because the North was a hotbed of Catholic support.

I miss living in the North, to be honest. The thing I miss the most is the language - we speak a different dialect (three, actually) up there to down here in London. Apparently they've just classified them as languages in their own right and a society has sprung up to try to preserve them and stop teachers telling pupils off for using them. There are a lot of old folk songs, generally about the miners and the keelmen, because coal was the main industry up until the miner's strike - which is, incidentally, my first memory.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 09:40:09 AM »

Ya know I really am enjoying reading this thread! Very interesting. Its neat all the different places & facts about where yal live!
Well I am from a lit'l country bumpkin town in Florida called Lake Wales. We have just about 10,000 population. It is very historic & Lake Wales Fl is the proud owner of the title "Lightning Capital of the world". Thats pretty neat & scary at the same time. Although the Lightning is incredible here.
NateyCakes Facts About L.Wales: Everything closes MUCH too early! (All stores shut down at 7 pm, but Wal Mart), There are no 24 hour diners, no night life, too many bugs and dirt roads that lead to Orange Groves that you can never get out of...lol. Other then that, AWESOME town & small community which is good Smiley

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
The atheist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 09:54:23 AM »

Hello, I live in the North of England, in the city of Leeds. It's not the most exiting city in the world, i think it dates back to anglo-saxon times. I also believe it is one of the greenest cities in Europe, which is nice as there is a large park not far from where i live.
 Broken is ofcourse correct, the North is much better than the south (it's the Viking blood), although, I do quite like London.
It doesn't actually rain that much in England, and it isn't that dreary, and we're not that reserved.
Anyhoo, there ya go.
TigerLily
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 10:07:45 AM »

Oh wow, its so interesting to read about everyones places and some facts about it! Thanks for joining in..its very cool!
as symphony said i live near PEI, Anne Of green Gables place of orgin.. im in the province close to PEI.
Does everyone know about Anne Of Green Gables? its quite an interesting place.. PEi is filled with many fun and interesting historic places..
TL

lovemy3kids

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 01:37:30 AM »

I live in Washington.

The most current interesting fact about WA:  Mt. St. Helens!  It has already had some small eruptions.  The geologists are still expecting more.  It was more than 20 years ago when it had the bigger eruption.  I remember the second time it blew, I was just a few miles away at a camping site and felt the rumble.  We packed out camping things quickly and we had ash on our car.

Washington is a great place to live.  There is a lot to do here and it is full of very interesting historical facts.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 01:47:18 AM »

I live in Show Low, Arizona. Astride the legendary Mogollon Rim at 6,350 feet above sea level, and tucked along the edge of the world's largest stand of Ponderosa pine, Show Low lies in the bosom of Mother Nature's beauty. It can snow as early as Oct., and last as long as May.

Named by the turn of a card, Show Low welcomes visitors traveling through the White Mountains with cool fresh air and whispering Ponderosa pines. Show Low is considered to be the commercial hub of the White Mountains with many recreational amenities. Lodging for every pocketbook with 48 area lakes for fishing and over forty nearby campgrounds and numerous RV parks, to include Fool Hollow State Recreation Park. Fool Hollow has 92 hook up sites with 31 developed sites. Group campgrounds, trails, amphitheater, playgrounds and picnic ramadas are all planned.

Fishermen and campers will also enjoy Show Low Lake, just south of Show Low with improved camp sites, bathrooms with showers, store and playgrounds available. Our visitors will also enjoy the new Show Low Aquatic Center, and indoor water theme park and pool which is open year round.

The area is excellent for golfing, great hiking trails and horseback riding. Bus tours are also available to tour the White Mountains. Fine and causal dining is available at many restaurants. Whatever your pleasure, Show Low has all the conveniences, yet still retains an aura of the "Old West". A card game is still used to decide the winner of a tied election.

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 07:26:52 AM »

Show Low lies in the bosom of Mother Nature's beauty

I beg to differ , thats where I live!  Tongue

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the