Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 05:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286820 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What's in a name ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's in a name ?  (Read 2028 times)
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2004, 10:30:03 AM »

What is it in a name that instinctively tells you whether it is male of female.  I have tried to fathom it out and failed.

Does anybody else know ?

God bless

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 10:43:16 AM »

Hmmm.  Interesting question.  Let me go back and read the thread concerning ‘Procrastination’, and I’ll get back to you.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 10:44:40 AM »

I think it is in the end of the names. For example, I think a lot of people see vowel sounds and famine and the constant sounds as masculine. Plus, context clues play a big part, too.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 10:52:57 AM »

There really is a thread called "Procrastination" JudgeNot.  I thought you were procrastinating.  LOL

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 08:16:44 PM »

What is it in a name that instinctively tells you whether it is male of female.  I have tried to fathom it out and failed.

I thot you were multilingual, Lance?   That would sorta tell you.  Many or most languages indicate the gender, in the spelling, or pronunciation?

I don't always "instinctively" know, either.  And the spellings can get obscure.

Today I just saw the mother's name of Howard Dean--Andree.  But I had to glean that from the context, 'cuz there were no personal pronouns aroudn to tell me.  I thot for a while Andree was one of his brothers.  So I guess that means the masculine would be Andre.  Of course, I guess the double e is feminine.

I've never understood "Leslie" for a guy.

Cary/Kerry/Kary, etc., can get downright confusing.  Any of those could be either.

But generally isn't it how the name ends, that tells you?

Marshal/Marsha; Mark/Marci; John/Joni,or Jonnie; William/Willa; Michael/Michelle...

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 09:16:44 PM »

OK - I HAVE to share this - it may throw all your theories out the window:
I am 6'-2" tall, 240 lbs, muscular - I've been told I look like the type who would rather beat on someone than talk to them...

My name is Jamie.  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 11:23:57 PM »

I thot you were multilingual, Lance?   That would sorta tell you.  Many or most languages indicate the gender, in the spelling, or pronunciation?

I don't always "instinctively" know, either.  And the spellings can get obscure.

Today I just saw the mother's name of Howard Dean--Andree.  But I had to glean that from the context, 'cuz there were no personal pronouns aroudn to tell me.  I thot for a while Andree was one of his brothers.  So I guess that means the masculine would be Andre.  Of course, I guess the double e is feminine.

I've never understood "Leslie" for a guy.

Cary/Kerry/Kary, etc., can get downright confusing.  Any of those could be either.

But generally isn't it how the name ends, that tells you?
Marshal/Marsha; Mark/Marci; John/Joni,or Jonnie; William/Willa; Michael/Michelle...
No I am not multililingual Symphony.   Smiley

Usually Leslie is a girl whereas Lesley is a boy (same pronunciation) There are obviously exceptions to everything but my original question was addressed to the norm.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »

Oh.

Otay.

Embarrassed
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 01:10:01 AM »

Quite often names which have a meaning suggesting "little" are modified with age.  For example "Jamie" as a child would become "James" or "Jim" as an adult.  Similarly some female names ending in "ette" might me modified as one gets older.  Click here for an example.  A popular time to change one's name is when one starts work; it being a new environment.

God bless.

solo10000

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 01:35:11 AM »

Does anybody else know ?

God bless
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 01:50:18 AM »

That was a good post solo 10000.  You are definitely a llama !  LOL

solo10000

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 02:00:38 AM »

Here is whats in a name. By your name I call to you, and you respond to it. Once you respond to it, I have your attention. Once I have your attention, your ears are open to what I have to say, whether my words be good or evil to you. From that point you will respond with, to whatever I have said to you. Whether it be to ignore me or respond to words. Your mind has heard the words that I spoke, and your ultimate response to those words will always be determined by the words, I spoke. If I spoke words of kindness and love to you, you will respond. For that is how we all communicate in this world. If I speak words of insult and hostility you will either ignore me, if you are wise, or you will respond as well in like hostility. For what I sow I shall also reap, as you will too. A name is more then a title. It is the very thing in which, all are attention becomes focused. A name is what differentiates us from animals. A name is, that which we all use to determine what it is we have labeled it unfortunately. A name is,that which seperates us from others. A name is, that which we know cannot change. For example, if I were to tell you that your name is something other then what it is,you would tell me without a doubt that I am wrong. For you are certain that your name is exactly what it is, and no one can covince you otherwise. A name gives you certainty of who you are and what your character is, supposedly according to the old traditions. A name can define who you are once you realize, what your name represents. A name defines much of your dignity, and honor if you so understand its meaning. A name such as the kings of kings and Lord of Lords is Distinctively defined and means there is no one else above you. Names are extremely important my friend, more then most realize in this socitety. However, this is not surprising given the fact that in todays world a name is virtually meaningless, other then to  get a simplistic response.  Such as, yah did you call me? Unfortunately our society makes a name nothing more then this. It is to my regret that, we all no longer find dignity and honor in a name. But then again, why should we, we have all been taught no better.      
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 03:38:22 AM »

Does anyone else find it kind of funny, when you lift up others on CU in prayer and bring them before the Lord with their user name? LOL

Give whitehorse traveling mercies, or
Keep your hand on JudgeNot,
Lord, Please don't let Blackeyedpeas ban from the board....lol j/k
Bless Allinall in all things...hehe

Surely God knows who we are refering to, but I sometimes I have to giggle when I say these names in prayer.   Cheesy

Anybody else?

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 06:19:53 AM »

Well you gave me a good laugh 2nd Timothy.  I wonder who 1st Timothy was since I only read of one Timothy in the bible.  Smiley

2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

Father I offer up to you  2nd Timothy in prayer.  Please make him as good as 1st Timothy.

God bless

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »

LOL  Grin

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the