Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 11:25:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  NOW WE CAN'T EVEN PRAY?????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NOW WE CAN'T EVEN PRAY?????  (Read 1830 times)
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2004, 10:17:29 AM »

From WND news:

In a letter of clarification requested by a traveling minister, the Internal Revenue Service has declared people gathered in tax-exempt churches can't pray for President Bush to win the election on Tuesday.

The ruling comes in response to a request by the Christian Defense Coalition, which is in the midst of a 15-day prayer tour through Ohio and Pennsylvania. The Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney, director of the organization, had planned to lead in prayer for a Bush victory during evening services in each town. Though he had hoped to hold the services in churches, Mahoney says he has used American Legion halls, hotels and other venues pending a clarification from the IRS.

The American Center for Law and Justice wrote the letter to the IRS on behalf of the Mahoney's group, explaining that the pastor planned to "offer prayer during the evening services in the churches he visits that God grants President Bush four more years as president and that Senator Kerry does not become president."

"This is rank censorship," Mahoney told WND. "If churches felt compelled to pray for Senator Kerry, they should be able to do that, too.

"Now we have the IRS not only limiting what can said behind a pulpit in terms of electioneering, but churches aren't even allowed to pray the dictates of their consciences."

Mahoney said he would consider legal action against the IRS, saying churches that had considered hosting the tour were unable to do so. He also said he considers his First Amendment rights to have been violated.

Reaction to the IRS ruling, Mahoney predicts, will include "massive anger" in the Christian community.

"Our organization, along with the American Center for Law and Justice, is going to make this a major issue," he said.

Mahoney considers the ruling a "much greater leap into censorship" than the prohibition on endorsing candidates from church pulpits.

"You hear people talk about the separation of church and state," he said. "This is a massive violation of the separation of church and state from the standpoint of the government intruding on the private dictates of churches."

Under IRS regulations, churches that are tax-exempt organizations cannot openly advocate for candidates for office and can only use a small percentage of their budgets on political activity.

As WorldNetDaily reported, an concerted effort is under way to get the IRS to crack down on churches that might push certain candidates or parties. In July, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, headed by Barry Lynn, filed a complaint with the IRS against Ronnie Floyd, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Springdale, Ark., accusing him of preaching a sermon promoting President Bush's re-election July 4.
 Angry

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 10:46:57 AM »

No one is going to dictate what, where or when I pray, or what I may preach except God himself. Even if it means jail time for me.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 11:14:11 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, things have gone far enough. The powers of darkness are doing everything they can to not just eliminate God from public view and mention, but to suppress, control and eviscerate the essence of Christianity iin this country.

Start your protest NOW! Forward this to everyone you know, and then follow up by contacting every elected official you can, and lodge protest with the IRS concerning the vacuousness of this ruling.

Make sure your church knows about this, and then organize a special night of prayer on Monday, Nov. 3....the eve of the election. Try to get commitments from as many people as possible to continue praying throughout the night, and through the day on Tuesday, election day.

Make your prayers LOUD....and LONG....and POINTEDLY SPECIFIC about WHO you want to be the President.

To paraphrase an NRA-coined slogan, "I'll quit praying for who I want when I want and where I want when they pry my COLD DEAD FINGERS from around this Bible.""Choose you this day whom you will serve..."

BroHank

BroHank
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:38:07 PM »

Passing it on to all that I can.

My prayers start NOW and without ceasing.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
LennyToo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 07:22:02 AM »

Who do those yahoos at the IRS think fill up the seats in those churches?Huh Taxpayers, that's who...wonder what they'd do if we announced that we were going to start praying for God to deal with the IRS???
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »

Evangelist Said:

To paraphrase an NRA-coined slogan, "I'll quit praying for who I want when I want and where I want when they pry my COLD DEAD FINGERS from around this Bible.""Choose you this day whom you will serve..."

BroHank

Brother Hank,

AMEN!!!!!! This will be a matter of prayer for me and my family from now on.  This is a horrible example of much more to come in the persecution and silencing of Christians. This is also yet another possible preview of the end of this age. OR, this might be the end of this age. Regardless, this is a time for all Christians to pray, pray some more, STAND UP!, and SPEAK UP!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 06:04:21 AM »

I realize this is a bit old now but I thought I would mention something here.

ALL tax exempt organizations (to the best of my knowledge) are not allowed to endorose ANY political canidate.  The problem they were having is that a "head" person would be promoting a particular canidate.  This is not allowed if you wish to be a tax free org.  This person and all others "in charge" know this.  If they don't they should have read the rules for tax exemption when filing.

You can pray for whoever you want and if the church members had initiated a prayer group after church that would be different.  The rules are the rules and they can get sticky.  However if churches wish to stand behind a canidate all they have to do is start paying taxes.   Wink

I think I see some unruly Christians who think they need not obey the laws of the land as we are told.  OR perhaps just some misinformed people.

Oh yeah, hi again.   It looks like Bush won so perhaps a better moral and social tone will come back to the US.  I can only pray but at least it would seem the country wants to be on GOD's side this time around.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:55:37 AM by Saved_4ever » Logged

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 06:16:08 AM »

I realize this is a bit old now but I thought I would mention something here.

ALL tax exempt organizations (to the best of my knowledge) are not allowed to endorose ANY political canidate.  The problem they were having is that a "head" person would be promoting a particular canidate.  This is not allowed if you wish to be a tax free org.  This person and all others "in charge" know this.  If they don't they shouldn't have read the rules for tax exemption when filing.

You can pray for whoever you want and if the church members had initiated a prayer group after church that would be different.  The rules are the rules and they can get sticky.  However if churches wish to stand behind a canidate all they have to do is start paying taxes.   Wink

I think I see some unruly Christians who think they need not obey the laws of the land as we are told.  OR perhaps just some misinformed people.

Oh yeah, hi again.   It looks like Bush won so perhaps a better moral and social tone will come back to the US.  I can only pray but at least it would seem the country wants to be on GOD's side this time around.

Smiley

Isn’t today a good day...

By placing our faith in Christ’s shed blood and nothing else, we can have eternal life.  Isn’t today a good day to place your faith in Christ?  There will never be a better time.  In fact, there is no guarantee of another day. Trust Christ today.  

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 10:22:54 AM »

Saved 4ever:

First, the IRS issues "rulings", which are not law. Rulings not only may be appealed, and over-ruled within the tax court, but if upheld may then be appealed into the Federal court system. It is only when a Federal court upholds a ruling that it becomes "case law", which again is substantially different from codified law.

Second, in the "rules" for tax exemption, it does NOT state that a political candidate CAN NOT be supported, it states only that a "significant amount" of time and/or money may not be dedicated to any political candidate. IRS court rulings have held that anything in excess of 10% "may be" considered excessive, and thus jeopardize 501 status.

Third, the recent ruling SPECIFICALLY named G. W. Bush as the candidate who COULD NOT BE PRAYED FOR INSIDE A CHURCH BUILDING.

Lastly, such a ruling specifically and pointedly is in complete contradiction to the 1st Amendment. The IRS is a congressionally mandated organization (and thus an extension of the Congress: ie Federal Government), and is prohibited from making any law (or rule) that "establishes....religion....or prohibits the FREE EXERCISE THEREOF".

BroHank
Talmadge

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 12:38:48 PM »

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (Ephesians 6:13 NKJV)

It seems that everywhere we look, we see evil things happening, but we also hear people proclaiming a positive message about the times that we live in. The reality is, the day that we live in is evil, and this is due largely to the fact that we're fighting against an evil adversary. As long as we're living on this side of heaven and Jesus' return, there's going to be spiritual warfare which means there is going to be evil.

It's so important for us to recognize that the day is evil. When we look at life this way it will have three positive effects on our lives. First, it will protect us from being shocked to the point of inactivity. Too many believers are so surprised by what is happening around them that they curse the darkness instead allowing the Lord to shine through them. When we are expecting evil, we won't be intimidated or rendered ineffective by it. Expecting evil will also help ussharpas we maintain our cutting edge. Someone has compared the believer in this evil world to a deep-sea diver who needs to constantly remember that he's in a hostile environment. We simply can not afford to be careless with our Christanity when confronted by evil. Lastly, knowing that the day is evil will prompt us to share the gospel with those who are lost. Dante once wrote that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality. Although this doesn't express a clear teaching og the Scripture, it does drive home the urgency for sharing the good news of Jesus Christ in this evilday.

Somebody once went on record as saying "Laws are becoming more just, rulers more humane, music sweeter, and books wiser;homes are happier and the individual heart more just and gentle." Shortly thereafter the First World War! As spiritual warriors we need to remeber that the days are evil and we need to live accordingly.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 02:44:18 PM »

Our churches are not government institutions, nor are they funded by the government. This is a country that was founded on Biblical teaching, Biblical morals, Biblical values, and as a Christian nation. The IRS has no business at all in dictating what is or what is not done in our churches. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion should most definitely apply in our churches, and the IRS should butt out.

Being tax exempt does not mean that churches are being funded by the government, and it certainly doesn't mean that the government has any right to regulate or legislate what is or isn't done in our churches. This is God's business, not the government's business. Groups like the ACLU have twisted our founding documents to the point that Christians are being persecuted. So, instead of religious freedom, it is religious persecution.

Love In Christ,
Tom

O'Toole's commentary on Murphy's Law: Murphy was an optimist.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 02:35:58 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 03:24:22 PM »

This has nothing to do what so ever with prayer. It has to do with Government-funded institutions siding politically.  

The goverment doesn't fund churches. The IRS is hogwash, they have no business at all what is done in our churches.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 03:14:32 AM »

I think you are all confused about another thing too. You are allowed to pray that Bush wins (had this been a month ago) to yourself or even amongst your families while in church. But the priest who is getting aid from a nuetral source cannot openly endorse one candidate.

He can, however, pray for the president of the United States. To make good descisions or what have you.

No, I think that you are confused, especially about what America was founded to be and what America was for over 200 years. It wasn't that long ago that the Holy Bible was a primary learning text in all public schools. After the founding of this country, nearly all states had laws that required all public officials to be Christians, including school teachers. Church services were held in all of the great public buildings in our capitol, and the first English printing of the Holy Bible was ordered by Congress for use in the public schools of our capitol.

Children learned their ABCs and reading from the Holy Bible and works based on the Holy Bible for almost 200 years. This country was founded as a Christian nation, and the founders intended it to stay that way.

We're not confused at all - you are.

Tom

There's nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we don't know. - Ambrose Bierce

Shemaya
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 02:50:50 PM »

No one is going to dictate what, where or when I pray, or what I may preach except God himself. Even if it means jail time for me.

I agree with statement.
one one,but God has to do that and they should not be able to dictate a church u go there to pray and worship God what your allowed to pray for should be your decision and not others
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 04:24:27 PM »

Whose this Bush guy we are supposed to pray for ?

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the