Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:02:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286811 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sermons4Kids
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 372 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sermons4Kids  (Read 342025 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5475 on: January 01, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »

"The Son Still Shines"

Mary zigzagged around mud puddles as she walked home in the rain, but her feet were still getting wet. I know Mom and Dad both had stuff they had to do today, but it seems like they could have gotten somebody to give me a ride, she thought gloomily. And there won't be anybody home for a while, either! But when Mary reached the back porch, she was surprised to see her sister Kate there. "Hi!" called Kate. "I'm home from college for the weekend." She grinned cheerfully. "It's such a beautiful, sunshiny day, don't you think?" she teased.

"No, I don't!" exclaimed Mary, wiping water off her face.

"But it really is a sunshiny day," insisted Kate, "even if it doesn't look like it."

"Well, today's sunshine is a little wet," said Mary. "I think you've been studying too hard, Kate, and your brain has gone to sleep."

"Just tell me this," said Kate as she looked out into the rain. "Is the sun still up there? Or has it left? Did it go somewhere else?"

"No," answered Mary, "but it's sure hidden. I haven't seen it for days."

"But think about it, Mary," continued Kate. "We don't see the sun, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Behind those dark clouds, the sun still shines! It just goes to show that we shouldn't trust only what we see; we should trust the truth." When Mary didn't reply, Kate smiled and added, "Like . . . take Jesus, for example."

"Jesus?" repeated Mary. "What do you mean?

"Well, when things happen that upset us, we might feel like we're all alone, but we're not really alone," explained Kate. "Jesus is always with us. The truth is that He's there, whether we feel like He is or not."

"So . . . the clouds are like our problems," said Mary. "The clouds keep us from seeing the sunshine, but the sun is still there-and our problems may keep us from feeling like Jesus is with us, but He really is there. Right?"

"Yes," said Kate. "Nothing can separate us from God and His love; that's His promise in the Bible, and we should trust Him. The sun is always shining, and God's love is always 'shining,' too."

Mary grinned. "Okay. You're right!" she exclaimed. "So how about going for a walk? Come on. Don't let a little rain stop you on this beautiful, sunny day!"

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you trusting in Jesus as Savior? Have you invited Him to live in your heart-   to be a part of your life? If so, He's accepted that invitation. You may not always feel like He's there, but don't depend on your feelings. Trust the truth of God's Word, which says He will always be with His children. There is nothing that can separate you from His love.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
He Himself (God) has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: January 02, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »

"Hearing Problems"

"We had a new girl in our Sunday school class today," announced Tiffany one Sunday noon. "Her name is Lauren, and she's deaf. She has to read lips."

Mom nodded. "I met her mother," she said. "The family moved here recently." Mom set a casserole on the table. "Just last week I read an article that said several million people in our country are totally deaf," she added, "and even more can't hear as well as they should."

"Nolan doesn't hear as well as he should." Tiffany grinned at her brother. "He hears only when he wants to," she teased. "Like . . . he hears just fine when somebody mentions dessert, but he doesn't seem to hear when someone mentions chores that need to be done."

Nolan grinned, too. "Speak for yourself," he said.

"I guess we're all guilty of that once in a while. We call that selective hearing," Dad told them. After a moment he added, "Sadly, some of us who have perfectly good ears are deaf in another way-we're spiritually deaf."

"Spiritually deaf?" echoed Tiffany. "What does that mean?"

"It means failing to hear what God has to say," explained Dad. "He invites everyone to trust in Jesus and be saved, but many people don't seem to hear Him. God warns of coming judgment, but people are so busy with their own interests that they don't pay attention. It's as though they're deaf to what He's saying."

"Even we who are Christians often don't hear God as well as we should," said Mom. "After accepting His gift of salvation, we sometimes stop meeting with other Christians and neglect Bible study and prayer. We seem to quit listening-especially if we're afraid we'll hear something from God that we don't like."

"I guess that would be like what Dad said we're guilty of," suggested Nolan. "Selective hearing."

"That's correct," said Dad. "We need to keep our spiritual ears open all the time and be listening when there's something God wants to tell us."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you hard of hearing-spiritually, that is? Ask God to show you the things He wants you to learn from the Bible. Today's Scripture tells of the boy Samuel. He didn't have "selective hearing"-he didn't listen only to things he wanted to hear from God. The message God gave him for Eli was not a pleasant one, but Samuel obeyed anyway and passed it on. Ask God to help you never turn a deaf ear to Him. Always be ready to listen to the Lord and obey Him.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
I will hear what God the Lord will speak. Psalm 85:8

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: January 03, 2009, 12:08:03 PM »

"All at Once"

"Why are you watching the Tigers' baseball game?" Alicia asked her brother. "You said you wanted to watch the Cubs."

"Yeah, but I'm taping that game so I can watch it later," replied Ben as he munched some popcorn. Just then a commercial came on the TV screen, and Ben turned off the sound and turned on a portable radio. He grinned at his sister. "Our high school team is playing out of town tonight, so during the TV commercials, I turn on this radio to see how they're doing," he explained. "I keep tabs on all three games I'm interested in. Have you got a smart brother, or what?" He laughed when Alicia made a face and left the room.

Before long, it was Alicia's bedtime. "Don't forget your bedtime prayers," said Dad when she went to tell him goodnight.

"I won't," replied Alicia. But then she frowned. "We always pray before we go to sleep," she observed, "but aren't a lot of other kids praying at pretty much the same time? It seems like God should have a big tape so he can record them all and listen to them later."

Dad smiled. "Sounds like you've been talking with Ben," he replied, "but God doesn't have to tape prayers and listen to one at a time. He can hear everyone's prayer all at the same time."

"Well, I really do know that," said Alicia, "and I know He doesn't switch back and forth from one to another like Ben switches over to the radio when boring TV commercials come on. But it just seems odd that God can hear us all at once."

"Oh, honey, God isn't like Ben or any of us," said Dad, giving Alicia a hug. "God is God. We can't understand how it's possible, but He can hear all the prayers of the world-all at the same time. He hears everything we say and even knows everything we think, and He's interested in everything that concerns us. We can never really understand how He does it, but we know He does because He said so, and He is God."

"Well, I'm glad," said Alicia with a smile. "Okay. Goodnight, Dad. I won't forget to pray . . . and I'll thank God that He hears me!"

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you wonder how God can hear your prayers when so many other people are praying, too? Do you wonder if what you pray about is important enough for Him to listen to you? It is! God cares about every detail of your life, and He hears all your prayers. Pause a moment and talk to Him right now about anything that concerns you-and be sure to thank Him for all His blessings, too. God is listening.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears. Psalm 34:17

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: January 04, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

"The Other Dog"

Jimmy put down the wood for the campfire and hurried to see why Ranger, his puppy, was barking. The little dog stood at the edge of the stream, looking down into the clear water. "What is it, Ranger?" asked Jimmy. He also looked down, and then he began to laugh.

Just then Dad came up. "What has Ranger found, Jimmy?" he asked.

"Himself!" said Jimmy. Sure enough, Ranger was barking fiercely at his own reflection in the water. "Silly dog!" teased Jimmy. "Now come with me, and I'll get you a treat." The magic word was "treat"-and Ranger immediately left the "other dog" and scurried along to the tent. Soon he had his treat and was stretched out near the stream.

"Jimmy, this reminds me of an old fable about a dog and a bone," said Dad as he added wood to the campfire. "As the dog carried his bone across a bridge, he thought he saw another dog in the water below, and he bristled."

"Just like Ranger!" exclaimed Jimmy.

"Yes, and this dog wasn't going to let that other dog get his bone," continued Dad, "so he began to bark to make the other dog go away. I'm sure you can figure out what happened when he opened his mouth to bark."

Jimmy laughed. "I guess his bone fell into the water, right?"

"Right, and the greedy dog ended up with nothing," replied Dad.

"Greed makes us want to hold on to things," observed Mom as she put bacon into a skillet. "We need to remember that we really can't keep things in the end. Besides, things don't really bring us happiness anyway."

Dad nodded. "That's right," he agreed. "True happiness and true riches come from knowing Jesus Christ as Savior and serving Him. Money and possessions will all disappear, but salvation is forever. It's too bad more people don't realize that."

Ranger ran up, looking for another treat. Jimmy grinned and threw one to him. "Careful, Ranger," called Jimmy as the dog hurried off to the spot near the stream. "Don't be greedy."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you concerned about having all the things your friends have? Do you feel well-off only if you have money in your pocket, a new I-pod, or maybe a new bike? Those things last for only a little while. When your life on earth ends, what will happen to all your "things"? More importantly, where will you be? God offers you true riches-eternal life. That's far more precious than any "thing" on earth. Trust Jesus as Savior today and spend eternity with Him.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Mark 8:36

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »

A Fresh Start

As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." Mark 1:10-11 (NIV)

What an exciting time this is -- the beginning of a new year. Some people make New Year's Resolutions. That means they make promises to themselves about things they hope to do in the new year. Did you make any New Year's Resolutions this year? Maybe some of you resolved to honor and obey your parents. Or perhaps you resolved to keep your room clean, or to make better grades in school. Those are very worthwhile resolutions for boys and girls to make. Don't you agree? Whether you make any resolutions or not, the new year gives you the chance to forget your past mistakes and look forward to doing better in the year ahead. I hope all of you will take advantage of the fresh start the new year offers us.

In our Bible lesson today, we read about a man called John the Baptist. John went all around the countryside in Judea telling people to turn from their sin and to ask God for forgiveness. After they repented of their sin and received God's forgiveness, John baptized them in the river Jordan. They were baptized to show others that God had forgiven their sins and washed them clean. God's forgiveness had given them a fresh start in life.

Jesus himself was baptized by John, and he commanded us to go into the all the world and make disciples, teaching them all that he taught us, and baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Because Jesus commanded it, the church still baptizes people today. When we see someone baptized, it shows the world that their sins have been forgiven and they have been given a fresh start in life through Christ Jesus.

God's forgiveness gives us a fresh start. Let us make the most of it as we live a new life in Christ.

Let us pray:

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom
    come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this
    day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive
    those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but
    deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the
    glory, for ever and ever. Amen

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: January 05, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »

"Questions"

Kevin looked up with a frown on his face. "You don't look very happy," observed his twin sister, Jenni. "What are you thinking about?"

Kevin hesitated. "About God," he said after a moment. "I've just been wondering if God really hears us when we pray."

"Of course He does!" exclaimed Jenni.

"Another thing . . . my Sunday school lesson says God is everywhere," added Kevin. "How can that be? And how can He have no beginning?"

"I can't believe you're questioning God," scolded Jenni. "Better not let Dad hear you do that!"

"Do what?" asked Dad as he joined them. "Come on-out with it."

"Oh . . . it's just that sometimes I don't understand things about the Bible and God," mumbled Kevin. "I have lots of questions I'd like to ask, and Jenni thinks that's wrong."

"Well," said Dad, "it's perfectly okay for you to have those kinds of questions."

"It is?" exclaimed the twins in unison.

"It's by asking questions that you learn," said Dad. "For example, Jenni, you made macaroni and cheese for our lunch yesterday, right?" As Jenni nodded, Dad continued. "How did you learn to do that?"

"I heard her ask Mom a ton of questions," Kevin chimed in. "She had to ask how much water to use and what temperature to set the burner on. And she asked how long it had to boil." He turned to his sister. "You saw Mom make it a million times, Jenni, but you didn't know anything when you tried to do it yourself."

"Well, I could do it now," replied Jenni.

Dad smiled. "I think you could," he agreed. "Asking questions helped you learn what to do. And that's one reason God doesn't mind when you ask honest questions-He knows it helps you learn. You've watched Mom and me try to follow God and live for Him, and you've imitated what you've seen us do. But as you grow older, you may have questions about God and living for Him. Don't be afraid to ask them, even if they're hard ones. Getting answers to your questions will help you really know what you believe."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are there things you don't understand about God? You're not the only one, and it's okay to ask questions. Ask your parents, Sunday school teachers, or any Christian adult you feel you can talk to. Also look to the Bible for answers, and ask God to help you understand.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: January 06, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »

"Luke's Plan"

"Let's see," said Dad one evening as he spread out a map on the kitchen table. "We've decided to go to out West on our vacation, but we haven't decided just where we want to stop and spend our time. I'm wondering about the Black Hills, and maybe Yellowstone. What sounds good to the rest of you?"

Luke's mom and sister began making suggestions, but Luke had other things on his mind. At school, Alan had cornered him on the playground. "Look what I've got," Alan had said as he showed Luke some pills. "These things make ya feel really good, and for a price, I'm willing to share them with you, Luke."

Luke hadn't known what to say. He knew it would be wrong to experiment by taking even one pill. Drugs were not something the Lord would want him to do. But instead of giving a strong "no" for an answer, he had stumbled over his words. "Well . . . no, I . . . ah . . . my Dad would get mad if he ever found out," he had muttered. "I . . . I'd better not."

"Come on," Alan had coaxed. "Here . . . you can have one for free. Your dad won't find out. Go on! Take it!" Luke shook his head and didn't take the pill, but he couldn't forget the incident-and he knew Alan would be after him again.

"Well, Luke," prodded Dad, "Mom and Grace have said what they'd like to see, but what sounds good to you?"

Luke shrugged. "I don't know. Do we have to decide today?" he asked.

"No, but we shouldn't wait too long," said Dad. "We may want to make some reservations. It helps to plan ahead so we can make the most of our vacation time."

That's it! thought Luke. I know drugs are wrong, but I've never thought about what to say if someone offered them to me. I haven't planned ahead!

That night, Luke wrote in his notebook: Answers I will give when someone tempts me to do wrong stuff, like taking drugs or lying or whatever. #1. No, thank you. I'm not going to take any drugs. #2. No. I'm a Christian, and I know cheating is wrong. #3. No, I don't want to do that. #4. No. God wouldn't want me to do that.

Luke scratched his head, trying to think of more answers he could give.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you prepared for times when you're asked to do something wrong? The Bible says to "ponder (think about) the path of your feet (your actions)." You need to be aware of things you should not do as well as those you should do. So think about what you could say when you're tempted, and ask your parents to help you come up with answers, too. If someone tries to get you to take drugs, cheat, lie, or do some other wrong thing, be ready with a reply.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established. Proverbs 4:26

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: January 08, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

"Important People"

"I can't wait to get home and show these pictures and autographs to all my friends at school!" squealed Amy as she climbed into the car. She and her family were enjoying a winter vacation trip and had gone to see an ice-skating show. After the show, some of the skaters signed autographs and allowed audience members to join them in having their pictures taken. Amy's parents took a picture of her with a famous Olympic figure skater.

A week later, Amy rushed into the kitchen after her first day back at school. "Mom!" she exclaimed as she reached for a cookie. "I had so much fun telling my friends about our vacation!"

Mom laughed. "I'm sure you did," she said. "What did you tell them? Let's see . . . maybe I could guess." She pretended to think. "I've got it!" she exclaimed. "I'll bet the whole school knows that you met a famous skater!"

Amy nodded. "You should have seen them when I showed them the picture of me with her," she said with a giggle. "They could hardly believe I actually talked to her. Good thing I had the picture to prove it or they probably wouldn't believe it, yet!"

"It was fun meeting her, wasn't it?" said Mom, "and it's fun telling other people about it, too. I told the group at my quilting class today that we had talked with her." After a few moments, she added seriously, "I wonder-do the ladies in my class know that I've met Jesus? Do your friends know you've met Him?"

"I . . . I don't know," said Amy. "I'm sure some of them do, but I guess some don't."

"We like to brag about the important people we meet, but sometimes we're embarrassed to even mention the most important person in our lives," said Mom thoughtfully. "If we really believe Jesus is the creator of everything, and if we believe He loved us enough to die for us, we should want to share that news with our friends." She smiled at Amy. "Let's both try to do better, shall we?"

Solemnly, Amy nodded.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you met Jesus and accepted Him as your Savior? If not, wouldn't you like to do that? (See the ABCs at the end of this book). If you have already met Jesus, do your friends know about it? Have you told them what He's done for you? Why not tell them today? Let them know that they can meet Him, too.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Galatians 6:14

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: January 08, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »

"Safety Zone"

"Who left the back door open?" asked Mom as she entered the kitchen.

Jake looked over his shoulder at the wide open door. "Oops! It was me," he said. "I just came in with all these library books, and I forgot close it. Sorry, Mom."

Mom glanced around with a worried look. "Where's Brady?"

Jake's gaze darted to the rug where the cat usually sunned himself. The spot was empty. "Do you think he sneaked outside again?" asked Jake.

"I wouldn't be surprised," said Mom, heading toward the door.

Jake set the books aside and joined her in the backyard. They searched under the deck and behind bushes. "Look!" Jake exclaimed, pointing toward a black and white cat running through a neighbor's flowers. "Brady's heading straight for trouble!" He raced to catch the cat. Just as their neighbor's dog saw Brady and started to growl and bare his teeth, Jake scooped up his pet. Brady struggled to get loose, but Jake held him firmly until they were back inside. "You shouldn't go out there," scolded Jake. "It's dangerous for you-that dog doesn't like you. So stay inside. This is your safety zone."

Jake let the cat go and returned to his books. "Mom, why can't I get that new adventure series?" he asked. "My friends say it's great!"

"I know those books look appealing to you," Mom replied, "but the reviews aren't positive."

"So I suppose Christians shouldn't read them," said Jake. He sighed. "Why are there so many things Christians can't do? I feel like I'm missing out on the fun."

Mom looked at the cat. "Do you think Brady feels that way, too?" she asked. "He thinks it's fun to go outside, so why not let him?"

"Because we don't want him to get hurt by a dog or hit by a car," replied Jake.

"Exactly," said Mom with a smile. "We want to keep him safe because we love him. And because God loves us, He provides boundaries-a safety zone-for us. Sometimes the ways of the world look like fun, but joining in puts us in danger."

"But God doesn't say adventure books are dangerous, does He?" challenged Jake. He sighed as his mother started to answer. "I know . . . I know," he interrupted. "One of God's rules for kids is to obey their parents. So . . ." Jake grinned and gave Brady a playful pat, "you stay inside and I obey Mom."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you feel like you have too many boundaries? Are you tempted by books, movies, games, or activities that wouldn't glorify God? Do your parents refuse to let you take part in those activities? Satan wants you to disobey God, so he often tempts you to disobey your parents. When you do that, you enter the danger zone. Stick to the place of safety that comes from obeying God.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Whoever listens to me (God) will dwell safely. Proverbs 1:33

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: January 09, 2009, 11:47:43 AM »

"Flying in Formation"

"Well, if that's the way you're going to be, I'll just find someone else to do my science project with," Jeff angrily told Nathan and Tim. He crossed his arms, turned, and walked away from the two boys.

At dinnertime, Jeff was still angry. "Nathan and Tim won't listen to me," he grumbled. "They want to change the whole science project. I don't care what they say; I like the way I planned it."

Dad frowned. "Sounds like you're having trouble flying in formation."

"Huh?" grunted Jeff. "What are you talking about?"

"Remember when we went to see the Navy's flying team perform at the air show last week?" asked Dad. Jeff nodded. "How far apart were those six jets?"

"They were really close!" exclaimed Jeff. "I think the announcer said they sometimes were within three feet of each other." His eyes sparkled as he remembered the thrill of watching the shiny blue and yellow jets. "When the leader moved in a certain direction, they all moved that way," he added. "If they didn't, they'd be in big trouble."

"Yes, they would!" agreed Dad. "Flying in formation like that takes real teamwork! But it occurred to me that doing a good job on any group project requires teamwork-and that includes your science project. In a sense, you boys should be 'flying in formation' as you work on that. To do a good job, you need to work together as a team."

"But they won't listen to me," objected Jeff.

"Well, they should listen to your ideas," said Dad, "but you should also listen to theirs. Have you done that? Have you considered which ideas would work the best?"

Jeff sighed. "I . . . I guess not," he admitted. He hesitated. "I'd better call Tim and Nathan and see if they'll still let me work with them," he added.

"While we're on the subject of teamwork," said Mom said as Jeff got up, "let's remember that the most important team of all is God's team. Christians need to work together for His glory."

Jeff grinned at her. "And you're afraid I'm forgetting the special youth service tonight, right?" he asked. "Well, I'm not-and while I'm talking to Tim and Nathan, I'll ask them to come, too."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you sometimes resent suggestions that are not your own ideas? Do you have a hard time working as part of a team? Remember that God wants Christians to work together in unity. He says we are to "bear with one another in love." You're not doing that if you always insist on having your own way. Share your ideas, and listen to the suggestions of other people. Ask God to help you make decisions that are pleasing to Him and that will accomplish His plan for your life.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! Psalm 133:1

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: January 10, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »

"Always Ready"

"Mom," called Gina, holding a hand over the telephone mouthpiece, "Sara and her parents are in town. I told her I'd ask you if she can stay with me for the weekend. Can she, Mom-please?"

Mom laughed. "Sure, honey," she said. "That will be fine."

Gina spoke into the phone again. "Mom says that's fine, Sara. How soon can you get here?" After the girls chatted a bit more, Gina hung up the phone. "Oh, Mom! I'm so excited!" she squealed. "Sara will be here in a couple of hours. It will be the first time we've seen each other since they moved away. I'm so glad they're in town. Sara can stay until Monday."

"Great," said Mom with a smile, "but right now you'd better get out fresh sheets and make up the other bed in your room."

Gina dashed off. At the doorway of her room she stopped, dismayed. How did my room get this messy? she wondered. It's a good thing Sara called to say she'd be coming or she'd find me in a mess! Gina quickly grabbed clothes from the chair and the floor. Dirty jeans went into the clothes hamper; clean socks into a drawer; shoes into the closet. As she walked past her desk, several papers slipped off.

As Gina stooped to pick them up, she noticed her Sunday school paper among them. "Jesus is coming soon," she read aloud as she opened a drawer to put the papers away. "We don't know when, but we need to be ready." Gina skimmed through the story that followed. Then she got back to cleaning, but the words she'd read echoed on in her mind.

Will I be ready if Jesus arrives today? Gina asked herself. She knew He could come any time, but somehow it was easy to be careless about keeping her life clean-just as easy as being careless about keeping her room clean. I got a phone call telling me that Sara is coming, she remembered, so I have time to clean up my room. But I won't get a phone call to tell me Jesus is coming, and I won't have time to get ready for Him. As Gina thought about it, she made up her mind to live every day in such a way that she would always be ready to welcome Jesus at any moment.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
What would you do if you knew Jesus would come back today? Should you apologize to someone? Is there a sin you need to confess-and stop doing? Do you need to become better acquainted with God through reading His Word? You won't be given advance notice of Jesus' return. Live each day to please Him. Be ready to see Him at any moment.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Be ready, for the Son of Man (Jesus) is coming at an hour when you do not expect Him. Matthew 24:44

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »

"Messed Up Money"

"Oh, no!" groaned Maria. "I'm counting the money for our Young Conquerors Club, and I just can't get it to balance." Maria pointed to the coins and bills on the table. "I'm treasurer, and Miss Schmidt gave me the money to keep until tomorrow after school when we'll put it in the bank. This paper says I'm supposed to have twenty-seven dollars and seventy-five cents, but I have only twenty-two dollars and twenty-five cents. I've counted it six times!"

Dad came over to the table. "Let me count and see if I get the same thing," he suggested. So he counted the money, and his total was the same as Maria's.

"What if I get blamed for the missing money?" worried Maria. "Miss Schmidt trusted me. Maybe I better put in some of my own!"

The telephone interrupted the conversation, and Maria answered it. She talked a few minutes, then hung up and turned to face her father with a big smile. "What a relief!" she exclaimed. "That was Miss Schmidt, and she called to apologize. It slipped her mind that she paid five dollars and fifty cents for stuff used at our party. She'll give me a copy of the bill tomorrow. That means this comes out just right! What I have here is the correct amount!"

Dad nodded. "Good," he said with a smile. "So how do you like being responsible for reconciling the money with the recorded amount?" he asked.

"Reconciling?" asked Maria. "Seems like I've heard that word before . . . in church maybe? But I don't remember what it means."

Dad smiled. "When it refers to money, it means to check one account against another for accuracy. The money you had didn't add up to the amount you should have, so those two amounts had to be reconciled. They have to balance-be the same," he explained.

"But what does that have to do with church?" asked Maria.

"Well, another meaning of the word is to restore to friendship or harmony," said Dad. "As a result of Adam's sin, we are all born sinners and aren't friends of God. When we accept Jesus as Savior, we receive His righteousness, which is required for salvation and a home in heaven. Friendship and harmony with God is restored." Dad smiled. "As you reconcile your club accounts from now on, it can be a reminder to you that you're also reconciled to God."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you reconciled to God? Or is your sin still separating you from Him? It's worrisome if financial accounts are out of balance-if they are not in agreement as they should be. Sometimes it takes a lot of checking and rechecking to find the problem and reconcile them. It's far more serious to not be reconciled to God. Accept Jesus as Savior and enjoy living in harmony with Him.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Be reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: January 12, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »

When God Calls Your Name

The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening." 1 Samuel 3:10 (NIV)

At the beginning of the school year, most teachers make a name tag for each student in the class. The teacher does that to help the students in the class learn one another's names. Your name is very important to you, isn't it? I have heard it said that the sweetest sound to anyone is the sound of their own name. Doesn't it make you feel good when someone remembers your name?

Do you think God knows your name? I am sure he does. Names are very important to God. In fact, I can think of several times in the Bible when God called someone by name.

One day, Moses saw a burning bush and went over to take a look. God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!" And Moses answered, "Here I am." (Exodus 3:4)

As Jesus walked down the streets of Jericho one day, he stopped and looked up in a tree. "Zacchaeus,come down right now. I am going to your house today." When Jesus called his name, Zacchaeus came down. (Luke 19:5)

Before the apostle Paul became a follower of Christ, his name was Saul. As he was going to Damascus to persecute the disciples, a bright light flashed around him. He fell to the ground and he heard a voice from heaven say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" Saul answered, "Who are you, Lord?" (Acts 9:1-5)

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of a boy named Samuel. You may remember that Samuel's mother was a woman named Hannah. She wanted a son more than anything, so she prayed and asked God to give her a son. She promised God that if he would give her a son, she would give him back to the LORD to serve him all the days of his life. God gave Hannah the son she asked for and she kept her promise to God. When the boy was old enough, she took him to the temple and presented him to Eli the priest. So Samuel served in the temple under Eli.

One night Samuel was sleeping when he heard someone call his name. He got up and ran to Eli. "Here I am; you called me," he said to Eli.

"I didn't call you," Eli answered, "go back to bed." So Samuel went back to bed.

Again the LORD called, "Samuel!" Samuel jumped out of bed and and went to Eli. "Here I am; you called me."

"I didn't call you, go back to bed," Eli answered a second time.

A third time God called Samuel and Samuel got up and went to Eli. "Here I am; you called me," he said.

Finally, Eli realized that it was God who was calling Samuel. He told Samuel, "Go and lie down, and if he calls you again, say, 'Speak LORD, for your servant is listening."

Samuel went back to bed and sure enough, again he heard the voice of God calling, "Samuel! Samuel!" This time Samuel answered as Eli had told him, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

Some people think that God only calls grown-ups. That is why I like the story of Samuel. Samuel was just a young boy when God called him. God knows your name just as he knew the name of Samuel and God still calls boys and girls today saying, "Come, follow me." So, listen for God's call and answer just as Samuel did, "Here I am!"

Dear Father, today we are listening for your call. Perhaps you have something special for us to do. When you call, we will answer, "Here I am." Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »

"No Pillar of Salt"

Whitney turned to look out the back window of the car. If she squinted, she could almost see their old house. "I don't want to move," she murmured as tears ran down her cheeks. "I want to stay in Greenwood with my friends."

Mom reached out and patted Whitney's arm. "I'll miss my friends, too," she said, "but Dad has a new job, and we have to move." Whitney pulled away.

As they traveled, Mom and Dad talked about things they thought would interest Whitney, but she just slouched down in her seat and pretended not to hear them. She spent her time thinking about how much she'd miss all the things they'd left behind. Any time she did speak, it was to wonder aloud what her old friends were doing and to wish she could go back.

At lunchtime, Whitney shuffled into the restaurant and slid into a booth. "Did you see the circus tents at the edge of town?" asked the waitress who served them. Whitney shook her head. "Oh, that's too bad," said the waitress. "A family I served earlier said they could see some of the clowns practicing their juggling at the side of their tents." Whitney frowned. I wish I had seen them, she thought. She vaguely recalled hearing Mom say something about circus tents, but she had been too busy pouting to pay attention.

"Honey, I'm reminded of the story of Lot's wife," said Dad. "When God told him to take his family to a new place, they didn't really want to go. His wife disobeyed God and looked back-remember? Because she did that, she turned into a pillar of salt. She couldn't go on and make a new life for herself in a new place."

Mom nodded. "It's okay to look back and remember how God has blessed you," she said. "In fact, it's good to do that, but you need to look forward and trust Him for the future, too. Learn to be happy with what God is providing." Whitney sighed, but she kept thinking about it all during lunch.

By the time they finished eating, Whitney had made a decision-to really try to enjoy herself. "That was a good lunch! Now I'm ready to get to our new town," she told her parents as they left the restaurant. She gave them a little grin. "And I . . . I'm glad I didn't turn into a pillar of salt!"

HOW ABOUT YOU?
How do you handle changes you don't like? Are you careful to not make it unpleasant for everyone when things don't seem to go your way? Sometimes it's hard to understand God's plan, but He loves you and wants to bless you in every situation of your life. As the Key Verse says, you can trust Him at all times.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Trust in Him (God) at all times. Psalm 62:8

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: January 14, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »

"Source of Power"

"Can I skip my Bible study group tonight?" asked Ryan as he got up to help clear the supper table. "I didn't have time to do my lesson this week, and I know Pastor Frank really doesn't like it when that happens." Ryan sighed. "Actually, I don't have time to do all those assignments," he said. "I've been thinking about quitting."

"Not a good idea," said Mom as she turned on the radio. She clicked the on/off button a couple of times. "I wanted to listen to music while I clean up the kitchen, but this radio isn't working," she said.

As Ryan looked at the radio, he noticed the cord lying loosely on the counter. "Here's your trouble, Mom," he said with a laugh. "You need power to run this thing, you know. No power, no music." He plugged the radio into the outlet.

"Oops!" Mom laughed, too. The music she wanted came on, but there was also a lot of static. Mom moved the radio to different positions till she found a spot where it played without the annoying, crackling sounds. "I don't want you to become like this radio," she said with a frown.

"What do you mean?" asked Ryan.

"Well," replied Mom, "like the radio, Christians need to be 'plugged in' to their power source so they can live for God and witness for Him. One way to 'plug in' is to spend time in Bible study."

"You mean if I drop out of my Bible study group, I won't be plugged in?" asked Ryan. "That sounds like I wouldn't be saved anymore!"

"Whoa! That's not such a good comparison after all," said Mom. "Okay . . . you are plugged in to God-your source of spiritual power. But things you read and hear may be like 'static' and keep you from hearing God clearly. I'm suggesting that your Bible study group is one way to help keep a clear line to Him. You've said it's tough to be a witness at school, and that you feel like you're the only Christian in your science class. You need to depend on God to help you in those situations."

Ryan sighed. "Okay," he said, "I'll go to my Bible study group." He grinned at his mother. "As if I really had a choice anyway!" he added. "But I don't mind. If it helps me be a better witness to the other guys, it's worth it. Who knows? Maybe I won't always be the only Christian in my science class!"

HOW ABOUT YOU?
What are you doing to help keep in close touch with God-your power source? Perhaps you know Jesus but still depend on yourself for strength to say no to temptations and to be a good witness. Perhaps you find it much easier to go along with the crowd than to stand up for what's right. Apply to your life the instruction given to Timothy. As you read the Bible, pray, and are faithful in church and Sunday school, you'll learn to depend on God and receive the help you need.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
It is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Philippians 2:13

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 372 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the