Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:15:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286815 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Buddhism
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Can you be Buddhist and Christian?
Yes - 2 (22.2%)
No - 7 (77.8%)
Not sure - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buddhism  (Read 4679 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2003, 12:20:38 PM »

Can you be Buddhist and Christian? Why or why not?

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Krazeekkc

I'm a Christian!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 12:53:37 PM »

No. You cannot because the Bible says, thou shalt have no other gods.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 08:58:32 PM »

Playing the Devil’s Advocate for a moment, the Darma, the Text followed by the Buddhists, says nothing about Gods of any kind…

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 01:18:07 AM »

UUMMM I not too familiar with ALL of buddhism but I did know some people who practiced it.  They believe that they are all god and that they need to acheive a "higher" state eventually.

Regardless of that fact or anything else.  Quite simply they deny Jesus as savior and don't believe in sin just right and wrong and that they are both necissary in the world.  Any religion that denies Jesus is false and needs to be strayed away from.  The bible tells us that if anyone comes with a message denying or not proclaiming Christ, not only should not be allowed in our house but you can't even send themj of with a godspeed.

Easy enough answer?  I don't even know why someone would want to practice anything else outside of the bible in a spiritual sense since everything else is a lie and of the devil.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 04:39:09 AM »

UUMMM I not too familiar with ALL of buddhism but I did know some people who practiced it.  They believe that they are all god and that they need to acheive a "higher" state eventually.

Regardless of that fact or anything else.  Quite simply they deny Jesus as savior and don't believe in sin just right and wrong and that they are both necissary in the world.  Any religion that denies Jesus is false and needs to be strayed away from.  The bible tells us that if anyone comes with a message denying or not proclaiming Christ, not only should not be allowed in our house but you can't even send themj of with a godspeed.

Easy enough answer?  I don't even know why someone would want to practice anything else outside of the bible in a spiritual sense since everything else is a lie and of the devil.

I agree

I don't even know why someone would want to practice anything else outside of the bible in a spiritual sense since everything else is a lie and of the devil.
 Amen Brother

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 05:55:23 AM »

The bible tells us that if anyone comes with a message denying or not proclaiming Christ, not only should not be allowed in our house but you can't even send themj of with a godspeed.
So you chase off the postman for bringing the electricity bill?  Grin

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 06:11:08 AM »

The bible tells us that if anyone comes with a message denying or not proclaiming Christ, not only should they not be allowed in our house but you can't even send them off with a godspeed.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment, so I don't usually see him coming.  I would like to chase off anyone sending me bills though.   Wink

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 06:13:57 AM »

The bible tells us that if anyone comes with a message denying or not proclaiming Christ, not only should not be allowed in our house but you can't even send themj of with a godspeed.

Good idea Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 07:49:15 AM »

First off, don’t get me wrong, I’m not some Buddhism peace and unite for the World religions, but this is what Buddhist, true Buddhists, believe. I'm my playing the Devils advocate, getting to the truth of such things.

You KNOW Buddhist? Are we talking about whole hearted Buddhist, or Yuppies? The Darma teaches the following, life is all about suffering, we are the ones who cause our suffering, and we are the ones who can end it. The Darma reads as an Asian self help book. That is the whole idea behind it. The Gods where not added until they carried the Darma to India. Buddhism believe you can’t take the Traditions and Nature out of a culture, so it assimilates them, must like we took on Wedding and Birthdays, and Christmas, and Easter. And Buddhist who thinks it is about the gods, isn’t Buddhist

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 11:06:48 PM »

The Darma teaches the following, life is all about suffering, we are the ones who cause our suffering, and we are the ones who can end it.

Again this is totally false and there is yet NO mention of Jesus.  Why do you insist on ignoring blatent problems here?  You aren't being the devils advocate and I say I would dare not be any such thing as a faithful Christian anyhow.

I didn't say they believed in gods.  I said they believed we are ALL god, singular.  It's quite a popular belief in the east.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 12:11:54 AM »

Right…

It is quite a popular belief all over. One of the world biggest. All the Yuppies following it. Anyhow, I just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on this, and I’m quoting what I know a Buddhist would say. Most people are not going to simply give up there beliefs because you tell them is isn’t Godly. No need to get upset, just trying to get the wheels going in everyone head. Sorry for offending you.

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 09:23:50 AM »

I just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on this, and I’m quoting what I know a Buddhist would say. Most people are not going to simply give up there beliefs because you tell them is isn’t Godly.

No your question was can a Christian practice buddhism?  Starting to tell me what a buddhist would answer tells that A) they aren't Christian and B) IT's a deffierent subject to preach Christ to pagan religion, than whether or not it's ok to be a buddhist and a CHristian.  To which the answer is stil a resounding NO.

naomiball

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2003, 12:06:24 PM »

Buddhism, Confusousisism, (however you spell it) May have some good teachings in them but that is what what the devil is all about. He tries to decieve by making things look good.

My parents were missionaries in Asia for 33 years. So much of the culture was religious practices. How was he to seperate the two? He didn't. It wasn't his job. His job was to preach the Gospel. It was the Holy Spirit's job to convict new Christian on how to act.

So It is impossible for a Christian to be also Buddhist. The Holy Spirit would make him so uncomfortabe he would have to give up one or the other.

Naomi
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2003, 12:30:01 PM »

No your question was can a Christian practice buddhism?  Starting to tell me what a buddhist would answer tells that A) they aren't Christian and B) IT's a deffierent subject to preach Christ to pagan religion, than whether or not it's ok to be a buddhist and a CHristian.  To which the answer is stil a resounding NO.

It is common for Buddhist to say "You can be a Christian and a Buddhist." This is how some Buddhist wheel Christians in, with this popular line, they call Buddhism a way of life, a Philosophy, not a Religion, so people will feal more comfortable, because they thing they don't have to give up there Childhood beliefs. Ofcourse, they soon do, between the confused Tuppies and the anti-Christian Buddhists, they seem to slowly drift into a state of psudo-Enlightenment, the sum if this being they have realised the Church is only out for money, or something like that, and htis knowledge makes them wiser then the average Christian, many of which who would, ironically, agree with them!

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2003, 05:57:45 PM »

It is common for Buddhist to say "You can be a Christian and a Buddhist." This is how some Buddhist wheel Christians in, with this popular line, they call Buddhism a way of life, a Philosophy, not a Religion, so people will feal more comfortable, because they thing they don't have to give up there Childhood beliefs.

I believe the term you are looking for is reel a Christian in not wheel.  You know, like fishing, once you HOOK them then you have to REEL them in.  Just so you know, it makes you look smarter.   Wink  Sort of like so many people that think "for all intent and purposes" is "for all instensive purposes".  Anywho......
The very fact that they would tell you it's "a way of life" should send up a red flag because true Christianity is a way of life and not a religion.

There are many who would be so easily swayed for they are either not truly saved or such babes that eventually they should feel the conviction from the Holy Spirit.  I know many more people that were saved after "childhood" than not, so this "they don't have to give up there Childhood beliefs." tells me yet again it's a decieving device to be strayed away from and send up all sorts of red flags.  They are not childhood beliefs but truths of God's Word.  I know plenty of people that think you can be Christian and get tatoos and body peircings.  This too is false and many itching ears want to be scratched.

Buddhist pray and meditate so it is quite false to pretend they are not a religion (which they are).  All the "enlightened" thinking from the east is actually a religion whether they want to admit it or not.  People try out these religions or "ways of life" because they need to fill their spiritual hole.  This should send up red flags again.  Every one I have ever met or heard speak has said that these are spiritual things.  It's all a ruse from satan as usual.  He is the father of all lies and hence he is and will ALWAYS be the best at them.  

If someone will not hear you on why you can not be both after showing them the truth they are on their own.  Only God can convict their spirit.  We can only use the Word of God which will convict them.  That is a ll we do and it isn't much really.  You are all hip into the martial arts stuff.  Tell me is it YOU who wants to be both?  The comment on the church just wanting money well..... take a look at the RCC's and all the gold and crap in there and tell how one couldn't feel that?  When most people speak of the "church" that's who they mean, so keep that in mind.  So because of this I too would agree but considering that many churches require no money to be a member I don't see how this could be believed.  My church has open finacial meetings that ALL are encouraged to come to.  There is no hiding of monies and only "members" of our church have more money than others.  My pastor still lives in the house the church built for the pastor on the same plot of ground the church is on.  It is nothing special at all.  I almost make as much as my pastor and I don't make too much money (at least not for where I live).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 05:59:41 PM by Saved_4ever » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the