Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:26:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286813 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Concerned For My Salvation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concerned For My Salvation  (Read 2088 times)
Supercryptid

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2005, 08:18:13 PM »

I'm hoping this is the appropriate forum to be posting this in. My apologies if it is not. It's been a while since I posted here.

Well, here's the deal: I hear some people say that you will "know" if you are saved. I'm assuming they might also mean that if you don't know for sure if you are saved, then you are not saved. This concerns me because I believe that I am saved, but I don't "know" it.

I do believe that Jesus Christ came to Earth, that he died on the cross, and that this sacrifice was sufficient to cover my sins. I have also asked him to come into my heart and forgive me for my sins. However, my preacher stated that if one is saved, they will have a desire to be at church. For me, I go to church because I know that I should do it, because the Bible says to, not because I feel drawn in some special way. That concerns me too.

Another issue is that some denomination(s) of Christianity apparently believe that speaking in tongues is proof of being saved, and that if you haven't spoken in tongues, then you aren't saved. I have never spoken in tongues. I have felt the spirit of God come upon me during church service, drawing me to the altar, afterwhich I did go to the altar and pray.

What do you think? Am I saved?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:00:42 PM »

This is a question that only you and God can answer. Salvation is not a "feeling". It is "believe that Jesus Christ came to Earth, that he died on the cross, and that this sacrifice was sufficient to cover my sins. I have also asked him to come into my heart and forgive me for my sins".

Satan puts doubts in our minds trying to confuse us and to turn us away from God.

Going to church or not, whatever we do we should do so because we love Him. Not out of drudgery or obligation. Speaking in tongues is not a requirement for salvation. It does not "prove" salvation either.

Rom 12:6  Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
Rom 12:7  Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
Rom 12:8  Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

I no longer go to church because of my handicapps nor do I or have I ever spoken in tongues.

Thank the wonderful, merciful Lord Jesus
I AM SAVED.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 09:02:28 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 07:58:17 AM »

Supercryptid, welcome to CU!

Don't allow the enemy to steal your joy and peace.   If you have asked the Lord into your heart and placed your faith and trust in Him, you are saved!  

Rom 10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Grab hold of that verse and tuck it away friend!  

I actually wrote a thread not too long ago called Blessed Assurance...somewhere in the Theology forum about this very thing.  

There are some folks who may try to tell you all sorts of things like that.   When the Holy Spirit takes up residence in your heart, you will notice a few things, which I believe is clear evidence of salvation.    Feeling guilty about sinning!   Cheesy     I would say this is strong evidence of His presence in your life.

Rom 8:5  For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6  For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
Rom 8:7  because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,

Do you feel guilty when you sin?   Do you humble yourself to Gods provision for that sin (Christ) asking His forgiveness?   This IMO would be strong evidence of salvation, because it is subjecting ones self to the law of God.   Christians are the only ones who know this struggle.   Wanting to do what is right, and struggling with the flesh to overcome our sins.   If you sense this battle going on in your life, God lives in your heart, no doubt about it!

You said:
I go to church because I know that I should do it, because the Bible says to, not because I feel drawn in some special way.

Bingo!   The Holy Spirit will prod you to do right, even though we may not always want to  Wink

Rest in the assurance of Christ friend and continue to grow in your faith.   Your walk is a process, but your salvation is a done deal...Paid in Full!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Supercryptid

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 09:04:08 PM »

Thanks guys.

Do you feel guilty when you sin?  Do you humble yourself to Gods provision for that sin (Christ) asking His forgiveness?
Yes I do. I'm almost paranoid about it, actually. I tend to think every little bad thought that I have means that I sinned by thinking it.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:41:20 PM »

Thanks guys.

Do you feel guilty when you sin?  Do you humble yourself to Gods provision for that sin (Christ) asking His forgiveness?
Yes I do. I'm almost paranoid about it, actually. I tend to think every little bad thought that I have means that I sinned by thinking it.

Brother,

This is excellent evidence that the Holy Spirit is living in your heart, guiding you, and convicting you to yield to God's will and purpose for your life. The lost don't have these thoughts - they simply go ahead and do whatever the flesh desires without guilt or remorse.

I just noticed that 2nd Timothy first talked about the Holy Spirit, and this is the ultimate truth for a Saved child of God. Not only does the Holy Spirit live in your heart, your heart is sealed with the Holy Spirit, setting you apart as a possession of JESUS forever. No power in the universe can break the seal of the Holy Spirit or pluck you out of the mighty Hands of JESUS.

Brother, it is the devil who wants to cause doubts for you. WHY? - The devil doesn't want you to have assurance of Salvation, grow strong in Christ, and yield to the will and purpose God has for your life. The devil has already lost you, and he doesn't want you to get strong enough to help others escape his grip. God wants the opposite.

Brother, I will be praying for you that you grow strong in the LORD. The best way to do that is to study God's Word and pray  for God's guidance every day.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 62:7  In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:43:27 PM »

Yeah, I think everyone goes through this stage in their life, normally, when they arn't sure which way is spiritually up!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:56:04 PM »

Thanks guys.

I know what you mean Supercryptid.   Don't let it drag you down.  You will not win all those spiritual battles right off the bat, but the fact that you are aware you are in a spiritual battle speaks volumes about the Holy Spirits conviction in your heart.

2Co 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

The old man (previous moral and spiritual condition) is gone, something new and fresh is happening in your spirit!   Praise God!   You are a new creature or creation in Christ.  

Don't let paranoia immobilize you.   This is another trap of the enemy to keep you off your spiritual feet.   Rest in your salvation, but seek to increase your faith and walk with the Lord.  Make time to read the word and pray everyday.  Get into a good bible study if you can find one.   This will start to equip you with the whold armour of God.   In time you will find that you are winning many battles that seem to overwhelm you at the moment.  You will also notice a peace and joy about your Christian walk that you might not have discoverd at the moment.

Phi 1:6  Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Its a journey friend!   Take hold of the Lords hand, and make those baby steps in your faith.  He will not leave you nor foresake you, even if you bump your knee's a few times  Smiley   He promises to finish the work He has started in you.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
LiL-Christian

Our current status is: "VOLUNTEER'S ON STRIKE!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 03:06:12 AM »

I'm hoping this is the appropriate forum to be posting this in. My apologies if it is not. It's been a while since I posted here.

Well, here's the deal: I hear some people say that you will "know" if you are saved. I'm assuming they might also mean that if you don't know for sure if you are saved, then you are not saved. This concerns me because I believe that I am saved, but I don't "know" it.

I do believe that Jesus Christ came to Earth, that he died on the cross, and that this sacrifice was sufficient to cover my sins. I have also asked him to come into my heart and forgive me for my sins. However, my preacher stated that if one is saved, they will have a desire to be at church. For me, I go to church because I know that I should do it, because the Bible says to, not because I feel drawn in some special way. That concerns me too.

Another issue is that some denomination(s) of Christianity apparently believe that speaking in tongues is proof of being saved, and that if you haven't spoken in tongues, then you aren't saved. I have never spoken in tongues. I have felt the spirit of God come upon me during church service, drawing me to the altar, afterwhich I did go to the altar and pray.

You are saved no matter what. Dont let anyone out ther tell you that your not saved just because you dont speak in tongues. That's not the truth, people like that get salvation and God's gift's confused for some reason. Tongues is a GIFT from God given to His saints, YOU are His precious saint weather you speak in tongues or not, He still loves you. And like one other person here said, salvation is not a feeling, but it's also not just a belief its a way of life. why do i say it like that? because when we are saved, we change. We let God change our life style, we're no longer drug addicts, alcaholics, or rebelious people trying to make God mad. We are His saints, you are one too.

Revelation 3:20
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the