Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Selfish Ambition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Selfish Ambition  (Read 2382 times)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2003, 12:33:08 AM »

The bible talks about how not to pursue selfish ambitions. What does anyone think about Christians and career choices?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 12:58:45 AM »

The bible talks about how not to pursue selfish ambitions. What does anyone think about Christians and career choices?
At an obvious level, it would certainly seem to rule out certain career choices.

On a personal level, it shaped my choice of second career. When I got fed up with software development I decided I very much wanted a career that would help contribute to and enhance the lives of others, and eventually decided that my skills would be best employed as a maths teacher.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 01:54:14 PM »

In Romans when Pauls talks about not being so attached to this world, he said "If you're married, live as if you're not. If you're mourning, live as if you're not..." and so forth. I guess it all depends on my motives. If I'm doing it to glorify myself, then it's self-serving. I'm just realizing how hard it is to not be self-serving. Is it even possible? Even being in a giving profession can be done to glorify ourselves. Or are we simply supposed to do things we don't want to do?
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 02:41:16 PM »

Exactly-it isn't about what we pursue, but why. Look at Job and all God blessed him with. And look at Solomon.

God gives us gifts, and often very exceptional ones. But our stewardship of that gift is what makes the difference. As you said, who do we use our gofts for. It's okay to seek good things in life. Proverbs is full of admonitions on how to do this, so it's godly to seek good things. But when those skills or careers or good things become moer important than God, when they cause us to neglect spiritual duties, when they are used to bring glory to ourselves, then it needs to be reassesed.

Great question, by the way. Thanks for asking.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 04:51:49 PM »

"And do you seek great things for yourself?  Seek them not; for, behold, I am bringing evil upon all flesh, says the Lord; but I will give you your life as a prize of war in all places to which you may go."  (Jeremiah 45:5)

"career":  To move or run at full speed; rush [from Old French, carriere, racecourse] (American Heritage dictionary)

Huh
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 06:16:34 PM »

I also feel that it is a matter of 'why' we are doing what we are doing. I also feel, as for our career, that if we let Him, God will guide us as to what He wants us to do. He guided me to manage a mission, with me thinking I was going there to "serve God", only to realize that He sent me there to teach me. The hotel/rooming house I now run I also believe He guided me to. I have had 2 atheists in the last 5 years that I have witnessed to, as well as many Christians who were seeking a deeper understanding. And also the ones He sent here to teach me.

But He guides each of us according to how He has worked in our life, and what gift or gifts He has bestowed upon us. I once used my writing to impress girls with the poems I wrote. (and it worked). But for many years now He has used my writing for His glory.

He knows our heart, and whether we are willing to be used by Him or not. And if we truly are, then He will guide us in our career choice. A business man to reach other business men, (and women, of course). A singer to reach other singers, etc.
The key is to be willing to obey His guidance. If we are, He will take care of the rest. We but need to be listening, and to be obedient.

Yours in Christ.  Roy.

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 11:48:31 PM »

My problem is that I'm a born taker. I am naturally predisposed to want success and to be the best. I feel like God is telling me to acknowledge those motives and not act on them. But it's hard because i have so much energy and interest in so many things. I want to serve the Lord with my gifts but i still feel that they are serving me. In other words, I am still trying to be the best because I'm trying to be the best Christian i can be. I just want to get away from my selfish motives. But how? that's the question.
Mr. 5020

Proverbs 27:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 05:27:07 PM »

I guess it also depends on what you give up to get there.  Give up time with your family?  Too tired to read the Word?  Have to drop that Sunday school class (you know, the one you said you were called to?

Mr. 5020
---------------
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why so few engage in it." -Henry Ford
shugotenshi

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 05:31:08 AM »

I have a somewhat 'selfish' ambition to have this desire to do art for a living' or as a career choice.  Yet I never attended art college.  Sometimes we may be confused with selfish'ambition or an inner yearning to 'do something'.  I guess it all depends where that drive is coming from..peace.
shugotenshi

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 05:37:48 AM »

Things such as this.  I have a ton of images I would liek to use in the Christian community but, I found the whole 'Christian business' avenue to be somewhat 'following certain guidelines' that seem to stem from how the world works.  It's not for me to judge, i'm simply making an analysis.  So, I have an 'ability' no scathed by this world...I would like to share it to help spread the world but, at the same time, I need to get something for them, a tithe to my 'art ministry' if you will.  

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2003, 08:54:06 AM »

Shougo, I study personality types and you sound like the "artist" which is also my personality type. I was born with a huge talent for the piano and have lived my life pursuing that career. BUT the intensity and desire for it is self-referential. What I mean is that it's all focusing on myself and the only satisfaction I get from it is when i play a piece perfectly, the way the composer intended it to be played. I don't know if you've ever seen the movie "Amadeus". I'm Salieri, the man who was so jealous of Mozart. In the movie, he threw away the icon of Christ which was his downfall. I accepted Christ as being the only way out of my dilemma but it's still a struggle between my human impulses and the holy Spirit to keep it balanced.
joyunending

He is Risen!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 11:23:41 AM »

It is hard for man not to be selfish.  Being self-serving seems to be the plight of man, no matter how hard he tries not to be.  Even Paul knew this when he said that he couldn't understand why he did what he knew he souldn't do and didn't do what he knew he should.
    If Paul had troulble with this, we can't for one minute think that we won't.  I guess the thing to do is to continually pray that God will be leading any decision that we make about our vocation or career.  We will fail sometimes with the ambition to be thought of as 'one of a kind''''' but all we have to do is reach out and ask for guidance and forgiveness, and keep on truckin!!!!
                Joy

Love in Him,  Joy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the