Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:41:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286813 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  TODAY IN THE WORD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 433 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TODAY IN THE WORD  (Read 378496 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »

Read: Psalm 119:9-16
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. - Psalm 119:11
TODAY IN THE WORD
When a friend persuaded campus pastor Ben Patterson to join two other men in memorizing the Book of Revelation to recite at a Sunday evening service, he was nervous. What if he forgot the text? Would people be bored? Instead, for two-and-a-half hours, a thousand people listened, riveted by the “unplugged” Word of God. Later he and the others did the same with Mark and Romans. Writing about his experiences in Leadership Journal, Patterson said, “My thoughts are most certainly not God's thoughts, but in learning to say a passage, his thoughts may become my thoughts.”

For believers, the Bible holds unique significance and authority. This is a principle that most of us would say we agree with, but our practices sometimes don't match what we say. As individualistic Americans, we may not even realize what we're doing when we reserve judgment for ourselves, excuse ourselves from obedience because different opinions exist, or prioritize subjective feelings over solid interpretation. Such habits of thought and action tend to leave final authority in our hands rather than with the Word or the Holy Spirit.

Today and for the rest of the month, we'll be focusing on our responses to the Word. Important as it is to identify the Bible's essential qualities, as we've been doing so far, we want to apply this theology at the level of everyday life (cf. Rom. 15:4). The writer of Psalm 119 had the same goal, so he opened today's reading by reminding us that the key to righteousness is obedience to the Word (v. 9). He treated God and His words as essentially the same, as seen in the parallelism between God and His commands in verse 10. Obedience—treating God's words as authoritative—keeps our way pure and protects us from sin (v. 11).

In this spirit, the writer praised, meditated on, considered, memorized, and rejoiced to follow the Word, and he prayed for God Himself to teach him and help him obey. Understanding, doing, and delighting here go hand in hand!
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
Many times in the Old Testament we find the Scriptures being read aloud in a public assembly. Sometimes reading the text aloud can make us pay attention and convey its dynamic power better than silent reading.

In your personal or family devotions, we invite you to try this—read an entire book of the Bible aloud. For this first effort, you may want to choose a shorter book such as Ruth or Philippians.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »

Read: Luke 8:4-15
The seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart. - Luke 8:15
TODAY IN THE WORD
In his personal Scripture reading, John Bunyan, author of Pilgrim's Progress, had good days and bad days. As he wrote in his autobiography, “I have sometimes seen more in a line of the Bible than I could well tell how to stand under, and yet at another time the whole Bible hath been to me as dry as a stick, or rather my heart hath been so dead and dry unto it, that I could not conceive the least dram of refreshment, though I have looked it all over.”

The Parable of the Sower shows us a range of responses to God's Word (vv. 4-8a). It shows us how much our responses really do matter—what happens to the seeds illustrates the destinies of people who react in different ways to the message of the kingdom. As a master teacher, Jesus used familiar images to reveal spiritual truths in such a way that prepared sensitive hearts to receive them (vv. 8b-10). When His disciples didn't understand, He graciously interpreted it for them (vv. 11-15).

“The seed is the word of God,” or generally, His revelation. Like a seed, the Word has its own life and power and needs only the right conditions to grow and flourish. This metaphor is used elsewhere in the New Testament, for example, 1 Corinthians 3:6-9, where we learn that God assigns different aspects of “cultivation” as He pleases. He is the one “who makes things grow.”

Four types of soil, which represent responses or choices, are described: (1) people who hear but don't understand; (2) people who show only a surface faith, since testing proves its rootlessness; (3) people who seem to believe but their “faith” is strangled by earthly priorities; and (4) people who listen, believe, persevere, and bear fruit (live righteously). One commentary says that “noble and good heart” (v. 15) is an adaptation of an ancient Greek phrase meaning the whole person. This indicates that a true believer has an undivided heart toward God, which results in great growth and fruit.
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
If you wish, make plans for this spring to reenact today's parable in your backyard garden. That is, take seeds and plant some on hard ground, some in rocky soil, some among thorns, and some in good soil. This could be a family project, perhaps including progress reports and photographs or other tasks suitable to the ages of the children in your life. It will spur everyone to reflect on the spiritual truths behind Jesus' concrete illustration.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2006, 11:35:02 AM »

Read: Revelation 1:1-3
Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy. - Revelation 1:3
TODAY IN THE WORD
The world's largest published book has 112 pages, weighs 133 pounds, measures five-by-seven feet, and comes with an easel for display. Featuring photographs of the isolated Asian kingdom of Bhutan, it sells for $10,000 per copy, with the profits going to educational projects in Cambodia and Bhutan. Author Michael Hawley of MIT designed the book using digital image technology, and worked with a printer on the unique binding arrangements. It's not for bedtime reading, he said, “unless you plan to sleep on it.”

An impressive achievement, but still “small” compared to the glory and grandeur of the Word! Today's verses open the final book of the New Testament canon, also called The Apocalypse—a word meaning “unveiling” or “disclosure”—because it deals with events of the end times. At the time, the Roman emperor Domitian was promoting a cult of emperor worship and had initiated a general persecution of Christians. For his missionary activities, the apostle John was exiled to the island of Patmos (1:9), where he saw this vision about 95 a.d., toward the end of his life.

Verse 1 tells the theme, purpose, and means of revelation for the book. The theme is Jesus Christ. In truth, all revelation is of Him and for Him. The purpose is to reveal things to come. The word “soon” indicates imminence, that is, the events surrounding Jesus' Second Coming is the next major event on the biblical timeline. It might also indicate swiftness, that is, once these things start happening they will happen quickly. Knowledge of these matters was so important that God sent an angel to help John understand. In verse 2, John swore to the book's truth as the words of God, not men.

Verse 3 is a blessing and exhortation to the reader (cf. 22:7). “Blessed” suggests God's favor, giving us deep spiritual contentment and joy. “Take to heart” means to “heed” or “guard,” implying respect and obedience. We should always live today as if Christ could return tomorrow-because He truly could!
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
From today's verse, we encourage you to read through the Book of Revelation in a single sitting. The sweep of the end times and the culmination of God's plan for history found in these exciting and vivid pages may become more real to you as you read it all at once You'll definitely receive a blessing and be challenged to take the words of John's vision to heart.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2006, 11:35:29 AM »

Read: Acts 17:1-14
They . . . examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. - Acts 17:11
TODAY IN THE WORD
In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the White Witch kept Narnia in a never-ending winter. When Aslan and the four children freed the land, an early sign was the appearance of Father Christmas, who spread good cheer and gifts to all he met. He gave Lucy a flask of healing oil, Susan a bow and horn, and Peter a sword and shield emblazoned with a red lion. These gifts proved very useful in the rest of the story and also appear in later books in C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia series.

God knows how to give good gifts to His children, and in fact “every good and perfect gift” comes from above (Matt. 7:11; James 1:17-18). The Bible is one of the chief among these gifts. That's why it's so important for us to be able to handle it correctly (2 Tim. 2:15). Careful study is an excellent response to God's Word, one we see commended in today's reading.

On Paul's second missionary journey, he preached to the Jews in Thessalonica. The majority of them responded with jealous hostility, driving the apostle out of town. He went to Berea, only about 50 miles away but a world apart in attitude. They genuinely wanted to know the truth, even though if Paul was right it would change their world forever. In order to judge whether his message was true, they checked his interpretations against the Old Testament with open hearts and minds. As a result, many of them did indeed trust in Christ!

The Bereans' studious attention to Scripture not only led to acceptance of the truth, but also exhibited their “noble character” (v. 11; cf. Luke 8:15). Paul himself served as a model. He had studied the Scriptures carefully. That's how he could walk into a local synagogue and prove that Jesus was the Messiah—it took three Sabbaths to go through the evidence! He preached the Word elsewhere as well, as we know from the fact that both Jews and Gentiles came to faith.
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
This coming Sunday, follow up on the sermon like a Berean! That is, study the Word diligently to confirm that what your pastor says is true. Remember, the purpose is not to find a mistake or misstatement so that you can call him to complain or criticize, but rather to humble yourself before the Word's power so that God can change your mind, heart, will, words, and actions, and so to cultivate the “noble character” of the Bereans.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2006, 11:35:54 AM »

Read: Nehemiah 8:1-12
Then all the people went . . . to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known. - Nehemiah 8:12
TODAY IN THE WORD
“What would you do for one million dollars?,” writer Beatrice Kanner asked Americans as part of a recent book project. Sixty-five percent would live on a deserted island for a year. Sixty percent would serve six months in prison for someone else. Ten percent would “lend” their spouse for the night, and another 16 percent would consider doing so. For ten million dollars, 25 percent would desert their friends or church, and 7 percent would even commit murder.

What about ourselves? This is a soul-searching question, revealing where our values lie. When the Spirit and the Word search our hearts, what do they find? Sins that displease God, most likely, but the good news is that they not only find the disease but also bring the cure. Righteousness and revival can be brought about through the power of God.

The historical context of today's reading is the Israelites' return from exile. Ezra, a priest and rabbi, arrived in Jerusalem about 458 b.c., apparently with a copy of the Pentateuch in his possession. When Nehemiah arrived as governor some thirteen years later in 445 b.c., he got things organized enough to proclaim a public Scripture reading on October 8, 444 b.c. Today known as Rosh Hashanah, this was a special day—New Year's Day on the Jewish civil calendar, the start of the Feast of Trumpets (see Num. 29:1-6).

On this occasion, Ezra read aloud and the people “listened attentively” for about six hours (v. 3). The Levites moved among them, explaining and interpreting what was said (vv. 7-8). The people stayed standing as a sign of respect, raised their hands to exhibit praise, bowed down in humility, and wept from conviction of sin. Nehemiah, though, ordered the celebration to continue, as there would be another day for confession and repentance (Neh. 9). Their greatest reason for joy is explained in today's verse—they now understood God's Word!
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
If you can, recall about ten biblical commands and list them on a sheet of paper. (If you can't, search until you find at least ten.) Then, as the Israelites did in today's reading, allow the Word to search your heart. How obedient are you to these commands? Do you understand them fully? Do you obey wholeheartedly or grudgingly? If there is an area of disobedience, are you praying for strength against temptation?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2006, 11:36:21 AM »

Read: Acts 8:26-39
Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus. - Acts 8:35
TODAY IN THE WORD
“If I had a thousand lives, I would give them all for the women of China,” said Lottie Moon. Based in Qingdao, she ministered through education and personal evangelism, while surviving famines and fighting poverty that plagued the region. A letter published in an 1887 mission journal inspired the “Lottie Moon Christmas Offering” that continues to this day and has raised more than one billion dollars for world missions. She explained to a colleague: “We must go out and live among them, manifesting the gentle, loving spirit of our Lord. . . . We need to make friends before we can hope to make converts.”

The Word of God is the starting point for effective witness. Often in the New Testament, “word” is a synonym for the gospel message, a reminder that Scripture is not just a doctrine for study by insiders but good news for proclamation to outsiders. This principle was vividly on display in an encounter between Philip and an African court official. The royal treasurer of Ethiopia was apparently a proselyte to Judaism, or at least a religious seeker, for he had gone to Jerusalem to worship. As a Gentile and a eunuch, he occupied a low position socially speaking from a Jewish point of view, yet in this episode God pointedly reached out to him in love (see Deut. 23:1; Isa. 56:4-5). He sent an evangelist to a desert road to intercept his chariot and explain a messianic prophecy.

Philip found the eunuch reading from Isaiah 53 (vv. 32-35). Although a messianic interpretation was not common for this passage at the time, Jesus used it of Himself (Luke 22:37), and the Gospel writers also recognized it as speaking of Christ (Matt. 8:17). The eunuch didn't understand about whom Isaiah was writing, but Philip gently explained from Scripture the identity and mission of the Messiah. The official's heart was more than ready. He responded in faith to the good news, was baptized, and “went on his way rejoicing” (v. 39).
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
As you might expect, based on today's study we encourage you to do something in the area of witness. In a “seeker study” or “investigative Bible study,” for example, we do what Philip did with the Ethiopian treasurer—read and explain Scripture to someone who's already interested. Do you know anyone like this, someone who's searching for truth and meaning? With the Spirit's help, approach them soon and offer to study the Word with them.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »

Read: Joshua 1:6-9
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night. - Joshua 1:8
TODAY IN THE WORD
Olympic archer Jenny Nichols, competing at the Athens Games in 2004, gave all the glory to God. Inside her quiver were Scripture passages, about which she said, “I memorize or recite them while I practice and then during tournaments, when I get nervous or my head gets too much into the game, where I'm worried too much about my results, I'll start reciting these verses.” Ranked number one on the American women's team, she added, “I want it to be like worship to him. I give God my best, but if that doesn't measure up to what other people are doing, I have offered my best. And that is all he wants.”

Memorizing and meditating on the Word are important spiritual disciplines. As the leadership of the Israelites during the Exodus passed from Moses, and God Himself commissioned the new leader Joshua, the repeated theme “Be strong and courageous” was very appropriate (vv. 6, 9). Joshua had big shoes to fill and the people stood on the verge of major military challenges, but God promised victory and the inheritance of the Promised Land. Trusting in God's words was crucial, especially in light of the fact that Moses was ineligible to enter the land precisely because of his disobedience to a previous word from God. No wonder, then, that the Lord reminded Joshua and the people of the necessity of obedience and fulfilling their covenant obligations (v. 7).

The theme of obedience links naturally in turn to the idea of knowledge—people can't obey what they don't know (v. Cool. Joshua needed to keep the Law in his “mouth,” an allusion to the practice of reading Scripture aloud, either individually or in a congregational setting (see Jan. 18). “Meditate” literally means to “mutter” or talk to oneself. Continual meditation indicates a process by which head-knowledge becomes heart-knowledge (cf. Ps. 1:2). As we need to digest food to sustain ourselves physically, so we need to digest the Word to walk rightly with God.
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
The word “meditate” is not well understood by modern Christians, but hopefully today's devotion has been helpful on this subject. The key is to understand that unlike Eastern meditation, which empties the mind, biblical meditation fills the mind with Scripture. In that spirit, schedule a time and place for meditation and take along a Bible and notebook. “I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees” (Ps. 119:48).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2006, 11:37:14 AM »

Read: Titus 2:1-8
You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine. - Titus 2:12
TODAY IN THE WORD
William Tyndale learned the doctrine of justification by faith by reading Erasmus's Greek edition of the New Testament. Though denied permission to translate, it then became his lifelong passion to make the New Testament available in his native language of English. He completed his translation in Europe and had it smuggled into England, where it faced fierce opposition from the government and established church. Living in Antwerp, Belgium, he began translating the Old Testament as well, but in 1535 was betrayed into the hands of the law. Condemned as a heretic, he was strangled and burned at the stake.

Tyndale paid the ultimate price for his devotion to God and His Word. As we've read, obedience is an essential response to the Bible. The complementary truth is that our obedient actions verify and exalt the truth and power of Scripture.

Paul wanted sound doctrine taught (v. 1), but interestingly he elaborated on this idea not in terms of propositions but rather virtues. While there's no reason to think the virtues are exclusive, he presented them in categories appropriate to specific groups—older men (v. 2), older women (v. 3), younger women (vv. 4-5), and younger men (vv. 6-8). Addressing specific audiences is not meant to divide but to unite. The older women should teach the younger women, for example, and Titus should be a model for the younger men.

Verse 5 is our key: “so that no one will malign the word of God.” When younger women live godly lives as described here, this promotes the gospel; otherwise, godless actions speak louder than any words. The virtues listed include love, self-control, purity, kindness and submission. Similarly, Titus is to live righteously so that outsiders will have “nothing bad to say about us” (v. 8; cf. 1 Tim. 3:7). This principle applies across the board, that is, when we live to please God, He uses our obedience to bring honor to His Word and glory to Himself (v. 10).
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
In which season of life described by Paul are you? “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven” (Eccl. 3:1).

Take another look at the verses in this passage written specifically about you. How would you apply them to yourself? Pray over them, asking God the same question. As He leads you into what steps you should take, tell someone to whom you'll be accountable, and go do it!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2006, 11:37:41 AM »

Read: Matthew 15:1-9
Why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? - Matthew 15:3
TODAY IN THE WORD
A recent study conducted by UCLA found that 79 percent of American college students said they believe in God. Only 28 percent reported praying daily, however, and just 40 percent thought it was “essential” or “very important” to practice religious values in everyday life. Eighty percent thought that nonreligious and religious people could live equally moral lives, and 64 percent thought that people can grow spiritually without being religious.

Many of today's college students give religious faith lip-service only. That's not at all the kind of “obedience” God is looking for. Rather, we are to love and obey Him wholeheartedly (cf. Luke 10:27).

The Pharisees are a negative example of shallow, outward obedience. It's all too easy to read today's passage and think to ourselves, “I'm glad I'm not like them” . . . but Jesus told a parable about such an attitude (Luke 18:9-14). Part of the point is that the Pharisees were blind to their own insincerity, and we need to understand that without the Spirit and the Word we would be blind as well.

The Pharisees' question was actually an accusation or self-exalting comparison (vv. 1-2). It referred not to the Law but merely to traditions developed after the Babylonian captivity (and written down as the Mishnah about 200 a.d.). As usual, Jesus' answer penetrated beneath the surface to a core spiritual issue—genuine obedience (vv. 3-9). Scripture commands us to honor our parents, but they had found a “loophole” to excuse opposite behavior. Tradition had apparently taken Numbers 30:2 and applied it in a way directly opposed to God's clear command. This should have been a clue to its sinfulness, but when people want a thing they are remarkably good at self-deception.

“You hypocrites!” Jesus judged, and quoted Isaiah 29:13--16 to wake them to their spiritual deadness. “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it” (Luke 11:28).
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
Let's review our month's devotional study up to this point. Try making two lists, one of qualities of the Word and one of our proper responses to the Word. Then take a look back through the relevant Scripture passages and add them to these lists.

Which three items speak to you most powerfully or you think are most important? Why? Ask the Spirit to help you to respond as you should to the Word.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2006, 11:38:08 AM »

Read: 2 Peter 3:10-18
In keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth. - 2 Peter 3:13
TODAY IN THE WORD
Athanasius, a fourth-century Egyptian church leader, played a key role in fighting against heresies relating to Christ's Incarnation. Specifically, he refused to compromise with Arianism, which claimed that the Son had not existed eternally and thus denied His full divinity. This idea distorted the doctrine of redemption. Spending years in exile for his battle for orthodoxy, Athanasius wrote influential works on theology and the desert hermits, and ultimately his defense of Christ's nature was recognized as truth.

Standing up for scriptural truth is not easy but it is essential, especially in light of Christ's return. “The day of the Lord will come like a thief,” said Peter, that is, quickly and unexpectedly (v. 10; cf. Matt. 24:42-44). This teaching and the epistle's imagery are not sensationalism at which we gawk. Peter wrote it “to stimulate you to wholesome thinking. I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior” (3:1-2).

Living as if Christ could return at any time directly shapes how we must walk as believers (vv. 11-15). Aware of the temporary nature of things as they are and looking forward to a new heaven and earth, we can anticipate and in some mysterious way “speed” God's plan. More concretely, we should live “holy and godly lives . . . [making] every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.” Despite the coming judgment on sin, God's patience as He waits for the full number to come to faith proves His love (v. 9).

False teachers “distort” or twist this foundational truth. They are “ignorant and unstable” and have chosen “their own destruction” (v. 16; cf. 2 Cor. 4:2). Paul's letters are here put on a par with “other Scriptures”—a key point in itself. But even more important is the implication that interpreting the Word is a matter of both knowledge and actions. This should challenge all of us to judge our knowledge and actions against the Word.
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
Modern tools that can help you become a “good workman” of the Word and avoid the errors of the unbelievers mentioned in today's passage include Bible study software and Web sites. Programs such as Accordance® and Web sites such as www.online-bible.com or www.ccel.org can be of great help. The latter is the Christian Classics Ethereal Library, with an especially helpful “World Wide Study Bible” feature that connects passages with multiple translations and commentaries.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2006, 11:38:38 AM »

Read: 1 Timothy 4:9-16
Command and teach these things. - 1 Timothy 4:11
TODAY IN THE WORD
According to Moody Alumni magazine, Dr. Ron Sauer, MBI Greek professor since 1987, “is known to arrive at school very early to sit at the feet of the Father and study the Bible.” He is also well known on campus for his insightful devotions that open classes, and in 2004 he was presented with the Faculty Citation Award. As one student said, “His ability to teach, coupled with his deep passion for the Lord, inspired me to excel both in the classroom and in my devotion to Christ.” Dr. Sauer is a model Bible teacher of the sort described in today's reading.

The foundation of our faith and hope is Christ (vv. 9-11). The salvation He accomplished is not only a theological affirmation, but He Himself is the living God, a Person whom Paul loved and served. Paul exhorted his protégé Timothy to “command and teach these things” to his congregation in Ephesus.

As a pastor and Bible teacher, Timothy had two main responsibilities (vv. 12-14). First, he was to practice what he preached—not only to “talk the talk” but to “walk the walk.” Second, he was to build up the body of Christ, as opposed to grandstanding for personal glory or gain. Both of these responsibilities were to be carried out in humility, remembering that his gift was not an innate ability rooted in individual talent, but instead had been given to him by the Holy Spirit, as signified by the elders' laying on of hands.

This calling was so important that Timothy was to “give yourself wholly” to it (vv. 15-16). Keeping a close eye on his life and doctrine was very necessary, for as a leader he deeply affected the lives of those under his care. This spiritual mandate was not changed by the low cultural expectations caused by his relative youthfulness, or any other factor that might be an excuse. As Paul later wrote to him: “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth” (2 Tim. 2:15).
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
We may not all be gifted as preachers or teachers, but we should all be participants in a local church. Therefore, we all have preachers and teachers ministering to us, and the flip side of Paul's exhortation to be a good pastor is a question for ourselves: Are we good followers? That is, do we submit, honor, respect, and encourage those who minister the Word to us? Perhaps most important, we need to pray diligently for them as they have an awesome responsibility.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2006, 11:39:06 AM »

Read: John 16:5-15
When he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. - John 16:13
TODAY IN THE WORD
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a kind of cyclical depression brought on by changes in season and the fewer hours of daylight that come with them. Symptoms include fatigue, difficulty sleeping, increased appetite, irritability, anxiety, lack of energy, problems concentrating, and feelings of despair. Thankfully, SAD has a straightforward solution—light. Light therapy, as prescribed by doctors, requires a specialized lamp, usually in the form of a “light box.” The light from the light box must enter a sufferer's eyes to be effective.

Light therapy gives us an apt illustration of spiritual illumination. While we should strive to be accurate handlers of the Word, we're not to trust in our own interpretive abilities or learning, but rather look to the Author for right understanding. This is the Holy Spirit, the Counselor whom Jesus promised His disciples to send (v. 7). To the world, the Spirit has a ministry of conviction of sin in order to bring people to salvation (vv. 8-11; cf. 15:26-27). His mission is to proclaim to unbelievers who Jesus is and what He's accomplished.

Within the community of believers, the ministry of the Holy Spirit focuses on teaching and enabling (vv. 12-15). We cannot “bear” or follow God's commands on our own—we need the Spirit to guide us in the way of truth. Through the apostles, who wrote the New Testament under His inspiration, He revealed the future to us (cf. 14:26). As part of the divine Three-in-One, He speaks the very words of God and brings glory to the Son. He empowers us for evangelism, just as He did the disciples: “They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly” (Acts 4:31). Remarkably and thankfully, the Holy Spirit gave us the Word, He is working toward its fulfillment, He gives us knowledge of it, courage to speak it, and power to live it!
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
Here's a prayer to end your devotional time today: “O you who are the Source and Ground of all truth, guide me today, I beseech you, in my hours of reading. Give me wisdom to abstain as well as to persevere. Let the Bible have proper place; and grant that as I read I may be alive to the stirrings of the Holy Spirit in my soul. Amen” (John Baillie, A Diary of Private Prayer).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2006, 11:39:33 AM »

Read: Luke 24:33-48
Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. - Luke 24:45
TODAY IN THE WORD
In 2002, Colorado high school senior Ryan Patterson won one of the most prestigious national awards for young scientists. He earned the top prize of a $100,000 college scholarship at the Intel Science Talent Search Competition, an honor generally considered to be a “junior Nobel Prize.” He invented a glove that converts American Sign Language into text on a portable screen, thereby enabling those who sign to be understood by those who cannot. Their minds are opened to understand.

In the same way, the Holy Spirit opens our minds, and in case we were wondering, our minds desperately need it! On our own, our minds and hearts are blind, closed, inadequate to receive, understand, or obey God's truth. This was evidently the case with the disciples after Christ's resurrection. Peter, John, and the others seem quite clueless—surprised by what happens and slow to recognize their Master.

The two followers from the Emmaus road encounter (see Jan. 30) relayed the good news to the remaining eleven disciples: Jesus is alive—and we've seen Him! In the middle of their story, Jesus Himself appeared. Despite the eyewitnesses and His actual presence, the disciples still couldn't “see.” They thought He was a ghost, so far were their minds from comprehending. Jesus offered them evidence—His physical body, the nail holes in His hands, and the fish He ate. Once they'd finally wrapped their minds around who was right in front of them, Jesus went on to open their minds to the Scriptures. His mission of redemption, including His death and resurrection, fulfilled the Old Testament (vv. 44-47; cf. John 5:39-40). How incredible it would have been to be a fly on the wall during that Bible lesson!

Proclaiming the gospel of forgiveness to all nations would hereafter be the disciples' core task, and it is the privilege and responsibility of all believers. Their main identity, and ours by inheritance, is “witnesses” to the good news of salvation (v. 48).
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
Like the disciples, perhaps you don't really know what the Old Testament has to say about Christ. If so, we urge you to undertake additional research and Bible study in order to increase your knowledge of and gratitude for God's plan of redemption. You might start by taking a look at Isaiah 53, a messianic psalm such as Psalm 2, or God's promise that Abraham's seed would be a blessing to the nations (Gen. 12:3).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

Read: 1 Corinthians 2:10-16
We have the mind of Christ. - 1 Corinthians 2:16
TODAY IN THE WORD
A light bulb in Livermore, California, has been burning for over a century. Installed in a fire department building in 1901 and moved to another station in 1976, the three-watt bulb remains on 24 hours a day. The fixture's longevity is helped by a tight seal and continuous power. According to the Guinness Book of Records, it has been on for nearly one million hours altogether and is the oldest and longest-burning light bulb in the world!

Without the mind of Christ, trying to understand Scripture is like trying to read in a windowless room in which the light bulbs have all burned out. “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers,” wrote Paul (2 Cor. 4:4). Only the mind of Christ can understand the Word of God; only a supernaturally enlightened heart can receive a supernaturally revealed Book.

The Holy Spirit is the key. On the divine side, the Spirit completely and accurately knows the thoughts of God, analogous to the way in which a person's inner spirit knows his or her thoughts (vv. 10-11). On the human side, He is the key to the Christian's identity and mission (vv. 12-13). As opposed to the finite and sinful “spirit of the world,” the Holy Spirit enables us to understand and proclaim God's gift of salvation. The apostles' message, then, was not based in “human wisdom,” but rather its content and authority came from God Himself.

Verses 14-15 restate the basic contrast. Those without the Spirit cannot comprehend the gospel—the message appears to them to be pure “foolishness” (cf. 1 Cor. 1:18). Those with the Spirit, on the other hand, are able to discern accurately about “things that come from the Spirit of God,” including Scripture. This ability of spiritual insight and discernment does not spring into being fully formed, but develops and grows through a process of spiritual maturing (cf. 1 Cor. 3:1-2).
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
Here's an object lesson that illustrates the principles we've studied today. Take your Bible to a dark room and try to read it. That's like the unregenerate mind trying to understand Scripture. Next, light a small candle and try again. That's like the redeemed mind trying on its own—perhaps a few things in focus but not much. Finally, do your reading under a 100-watt bulb or a nice halogen lamp. That represents the Spirit's illumination. Make sure that's the way you are reading the Bible every day!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2006, 11:40:27 AM »

Read: Psalm 119:33-40
How I long for your precepts! - Psalm 119:40
TODAY IN THE WORD
Scientists recently claim to have located a “sweet tooth gene.” Two teams working independently found such a gene in mice, and by using the recently finished human genome map they located what is probably a similar gene in humans. Further research has been undertaken to confirm this finding, which might have applications for diets, diabetics, and the design of new artificial sweeteners.

The “sweet tooth gene” might also explain that craving you had last night for more cake and ice cream! More seriously, what do we hunger for or desire most strongly in the spiritual realm? God's Word should be our bread, butter, and dessert. Careful study, obedience, and the Spirit's guidance are very necessary aspects of our relationship with Scripture, but let's not forget delight! Today's reading, one of the sections of Psalm 119, weaves the theme of delight or pleasure with many of these other themes that we've explored the past two weeks.

The psalmist first wanted God to show him what is true, seen in the petitions “teach me,” “give me understanding,” and “direct me.” Second, to motivate him to live what is true—a movement from knowledge to action, seen in the requests to “turn my heart toward your statutes” and “away from worthless things.” When we do otherwise, it's like throwing our lives away, which is why he prayed, “Preserve my life.” Third and finally, to keep His promises so that His name will be glorified. If God did the first two things, the psalmist would be able to live righteously and bring honor to His name.

In his prayer, the writer vowed to obey God's commands wholeheartedly, “for there I find delight” (v. 35). Only in God can true pleasure be found; all else is “worthless” and counterfeit. “Delight” suggests and intertwines the ideas of joy, longing, commitment, and trust. We too should exclaim: “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (v. 103).
TODAY ALONG THE WAY
Among the Bible's purposes of guiding, convicting, etc., it's cheering to find that it also has the purpose of delighting us. After all, to love God is to love His Word and to revel in it with pleasure. Which Scripture verses delight you personally? Make a list of five to ten. Write them on index cards and place them strategically throughout your house today (or even for the week). It's guaranteed to fill your day with godly delight!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 433 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the