Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286815 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Crucifix
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Crucifix  (Read 10665 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2003, 05:04:30 PM »

What is so complicated about the Son of God dying for my sins--protestant or catholic...

Embarrassed
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2003, 07:21:45 PM »

This is not true....there is no evidence given in the scriptures  to support your claim, the image personified anything...

I assume you are using the KJV.  The New American, the Jerusalem Bible, the NASB, the RSV the modern Jewish Torah by David Stern, the New English Bible, and even the Pegotcha2ta all have "they" or some other indicator that the people called it Nehushtan.   But even if the KJV has it right and all the others are wrong  I still contend that the idea of worship cannot be tied to a mere act.  It is always the intention behind the act, the people, to have been worshipping, must have associated the image with an imagined god and they must have intended worship for it to be worship of an idol.  In the case of those Israelites it was true in the case of Catholics who follow the teachings of the Church properly it is not true.

There is no evidence this bronze image had become a god in the sense of the word to the Israelites, the scripture simply says, they did burn incense to it.  

This was the reason WHY it was destroyed.

That is nonsense, there had to be some intention on the part the Israelites.  You really want to claim that they had no intent in their heart and regardless of their intention the serpent had to be destroyed?  That is fulfilling the letter of the law and ignoring the spirit of the law, something Christ preached specifically against.

Speaking of Mary; this is exactly what is done by Catholic priests when celebrating solemn mass in honor of Mary Immaculate, they offer up incense to her image.

(So as not to mistake what I am saying, note that the mass is in honor to her and, not God)

A Mass has many functions, it is liturgy of the word, liturgy of the Eucharist, it’s prayers and intentions can be directed to aid specific individuals of groups and/or to honor specific individuals or groups even though all the worship associated with it is directed only towards God.  Honor is not worship.  For you to understand the concept behind how a Catholic’s honoring of saints is reasonable we need to discuss the intercession of saints, which occurs strictly due to God choosing to act through them as vessels of honor. (see 2 Tim 2:20)  If you don’t think God functions this way through persons already passed on take a look at 2 Kings 13:21 where God works through Elisha’s bones to raise a dead man to life.  

Tell me now, how do you differentiate worship to God, and worship to Mary's image in the solemn mass given in her honor??

One is worship and another is not.  How do you distinguish between love for your wife and love for your mother, brother, pastor and God.  Different emotions and intents but they do not always appear different in their associated actions.

Worshipping anyone or anything other than God is Idolatry.

I agree and the Catholic Church teaches this very thing.

Catechism 2132 The Christian veneration of images is not contrary to the first commandment which proscribes idols. Indeed, "the honor rendered to an image passes to its prototype," and "whoever venerates an image venerates the person portrayed in it." The honor paid to sacred images is a "respectful veneration," not the adoration due to God alone: Religious worship is not directed to images in themselves, considered as mere things, but under their distinctive aspect as images leading us on to God incarnate. The movement toward the image does not terminate in it as image, but tends toward that whose image it is.

In the case of celebrating a high mass in the honor of any saint or thing, it for sure, is idolatry, since it is in that things honor that the occasion of the celebration is,

Oh yes,  Gods name may be invoked during the celebration, nevertheless, it is in honor of someone ot something other than God.  

Now you equate honor with idolatry.  But that cannot possibly apply to all levels of honor or else what does that do to the commandment to honor thy father and mother.  See idolatry is all in the depth of the intent, a level of intent that the Catholic Church teaches must not be practiced.

Idolatry, then is more than just calling a man made image God (which is the simple mans definition of idolatry) and worshipping a stone or a stick. There very few people in the modern world that would entertain such an absurdity. It is doubtfull men in the ancient world believed that way either.

I suspect their images merely represented their Gods.

I have no problem with that idea, but now you change your accusation from Catholics worship statues to Catholics worship saints through statues.  This too is incorrect as the rest of my replies to your remaining claims show.

Idolatry then, is directing honor, praise, glory, respect and affection that rightly belongs to God, to some created person or thing.

Yes, but the key is the phrase “rightly belongs to God”.  But that does not preclude the idea that there is a level of honor, praise, glory, respect and affection, or as Catholics say veneration, which is due someone other than God and is below that level due to God alone.  That is the level that is offered by Catholics to saints.

For instance, greed is idolatry because the greedy man has focused his affections on things rather than God (Col 3:5)

Yes certain levels of greed do represent idolatry.  But those levels are such that money has become more important to that person than God.  So veneration to a saint would be idolatry if that saint became more important to the individual than was God.  That is not true for someone who is properly following the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Once again I went too long.
Look for part two to follow.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2003, 07:26:45 PM »

Part Two

By the same token, praying to any other than God is IDOLATRY, inasmuch as the one asking fixes his hope on someone or something other than God ........

If you cannot provide a verse from scripture to support this idea I must insist that you misunderstand prayer.  Catholics believe that the Christians who have gone before us are already in heaven and are used by God as vessels of honor to work miracles through.  They are the heavenly cloud of witnesses.  They are alive and animate.  When we pray to a saint in that heavenly cloud of witnesses we are merely asking them to in turn pray for us to God much as we would ask another Christian on earth to pray for us.  The difference is that we know from experience that these particular saints have been used in the past by God to answer men's prayers or in other ways intercede on our behalf.  People requested Peter and other Apostles to intercede on their behalf by healing them, to the point of just touching their handkerchiefs or allowing their shadows to pass over them.  Catholics believe that the Saints who have passed on are not less able to help us they are more able.  But all the power comes from God just as it did while they were on earth.

......,  to help or to save, and ascribes to someone other than God the attributes or omnipresence (the ability to hear the request), omniscience (the ability to know what is best), and even omnipotence (the ability to give what is being asked for).

That is illogical.  God can provide any powers or abilities to any vessel He chooses.  Look at what He did with Elisha's bones.  If God wants the saints to hear all our prayers then they can hear all our prayers, to say otherwise places limits on God's power.  But be assured that Catholics know this or any powers Saints may have are all from God, even as Saints they have no power of their own.  Just as Peter's healing powers on earth were not His but God acting through him, so are the powers and miracles that have occurred through Saints in heaven from God and not from the Saint themselves.

So you see, this is exactly why, I say, that those who practice such things are so confused, they are unable to distinguish what real worship to God is, from the worship they say is not worship directed to God.

How can you tell??

No, I don't see your point, and you can tell because you know what is in your own heart.  How do you know if you are directing love at someone, you just know.  If you don't think you are directing love at someone then you are not no matter what others think who see your actions.  They can be mistaken but you yourself cannot be.  That is the whole point to intent.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2003, 07:52:26 PM »

What is so complicated about the Son of God dying for my sins--protestant or catholic...

Embarrassed

Good questions. Apparently it’s not enough for some people.  Roll Eyes

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2003, 10:24:56 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the