Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286813 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why dislike Mormons so much?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why dislike Mormons so much?  (Read 14420 times)
JitC
« on: July 31, 2004, 03:35:12 AM »

I'm always hearing Protestants and Roman Catholics bad mouthing the Mormans. Why? Simply because their doctrine is different? They still believe Jesus is the Savior.
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:22:34 PM »

I'm always hearing Protestants and Roman Catholics bad mouthing the Mormans. Why? Simply because their doctrine is different? They still believe Jesus is the Savior.

A nice sentiment, but not well informed.

Have you checked into the teachings of the "latter day saints"? Their teaching if far from christianity!

I will not go into a teaching lesson on doctrines of the Mormons today, but ask you to look at their teachings with
these two verses in mind.

Gal 1:8-9  If any man come to you and present any gospel
other than that which I have presented let him be accursed.
And again I say unto you if any man, even if he be an angel
of light, present any other gospel unto you , let him be accursed.

respectfully yours in Yeshua:

Grin  ravenloche   Grin

p.s.  Check out their teachings, although they (the Mormons)
say they believe in Jesus, they do not teach he is the son
of God, nor do they teach that he is the Messiah.

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 02:29:24 PM »

A nice sentiment, but not well informed.

Have you checked into the teachings of the "latter day saints"? Their teaching if far from christianity!

I will not go into a teaching lesson on doctrines of the Mormons today, but ask you to look at their teachings with
these two verses in mind.

respectfully yours in Yeshua:

Grin  ravenloche   Grin

p.s.  Check out their teachings, although they (the Mormons)
of God, nor do they teach that he is the Messiah.

ravenloche, you get "TWO" Thumbs Up Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
JitC
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 01:55:17 AM »

St. Paul wrote that. Then sometime afterward, St. John wrote Revelations. Yet John's writing wasn't another gospel, even though it was a different writing. Obviously Paul wasn't refering to the group of writings we now refer to as the bible, since it hadn't yet been completely written. It seems that he must have been refering to the teachings of Jesus. In other words, if somebody teaches something that contradicts the teachings of Jesus, then "let him be accursed." Does the book of Mormon contradict the teachings of Jesus?
...although they (the Mormons)
of God...
Mormon cult link removed - BEP
...nor do they teach that he is the Messiah.
Do you know where I can confirm that?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 09:22:29 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 02:12:04 AM »

Joseph Smith was No Prophet of God!!

Some mormons can be Christians, however they need the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the New Testament.

Blessings,  \o/

MsGuidedAngel
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 04:54:05 AM by MsGuidedAngel » Logged

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 04:14:53 AM »

Mormons also teach that, a man can become God of their own world. This is something not widely known. The only thing I can say about that is; Lord have mercy upon, their poor souls.

JitC
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 04:22:27 AM »

Mormons also teach that, a man can become God of their own world. This is something not widely known.
I hear a lot of real strange stuff like that about other religions, and without a reference to the church's website, or some other proof, I can only regard it as probably made up. I know people make things up, or twist the meaning of something, in order to decieve people about a religion they hate. Then those people tell other people, who tell other people... Eventually people think things about Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses because they heard from someone, who heard from someone... Some of the things I hear may be true, but I don't want to believe them without at least some proof.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 07:32:14 AM »

Bad mouthing is wrong. I would urge you to hear and study the good news of Jesus Christ to determine if any doctrine is other than what Christ revealed to us.

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 02:44:48 PM »

Mormons also teach that, a man can become God of their own world. This is something not widely known.
I hear a lot of real strange stuff like that about other religions, and without a reference to the church's website, or some other proof, I can only regard it as probably made up. I know people make things up, or twist the meaning of something, in order to decieve people about a religion they hate. Then those people tell other people, who tell other people... Eventually people think things about Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses because they heard from someone, who heard from someone... Some of the things I hear may be true, but I don't want to believe them without at least some proof.

I'm not sure where you live JitC, but in my neighborhood I am visited frequently by these (or rather used to be).  They always insist on leaving literature which explains very well what they believe.  Also of interest, JW's will not allow you to pray with them if they know you are Christian (I guess worried about asking things in Jesus name), which is a great way to initiate greetings when they knock on your door.   They usually high tail it out of there.   Grin   I don't understand why they don't come to visit me anymore.   Huh   Wink

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Saved_byChrist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 03:13:45 PM »

well, I have a mormon friend. I do not personally consider them Christian, but I certianly know that she does. But I also know that people are confused about Mormons....for example, my whole family practically thinks that they're Jahovah's Witness, which they certainly are not.

Terrorists have killed 3000 Americans since 1990.....Abortionists have killed 4000 Americans since yesturday.

God gave us 86,400 seconds a day. Have you taken one to say 'thank you'?
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 09:32:35 PM »

Howdy do,
             It would appear that you could do well to go to any of the web site on your own, for and against, you don't need anyone here to give them too you. Part of my family is mormon, part is not even Christian. I debated with my Mormon brother for over a year, he was determined to win another church member over to "mormonism" he literally washed his hands of me, when I rererred to the book of mormon at toilet paper, but I didnt' call it that until after he called my NIV a cartoon bible...... HEY we are still bro and sis, and THANK GOD he has seen how silly he was back then.
     In my understanding mormonism is a pyramid kind of religion, based on works alone, I have several issue with there faith.
 Jesus and the Devil are brothers, and in the beginning of creation God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit and Lucifer got together and had a grand meeting to determine how the world should be.
  We are all spirits in heaven before we are born, we as spirits were concieved by God and his many celestual wives, and when Mormons family's have children they are providing a body for a spirit being from Heaven to come to earth to do good, so we have chosen our own destiny, being handi capped, rich, poor, depends on how low you choose to come to earth, as to have well you improve yourself thru a pyramid kind of faith. There is the Aaronic priest hood, I believe a few others but I can't remember and up so they can be allowed in the higher heaven ( 3 degrees of Heaven) only those in the highest postion here on earth or those in the Melchezdik (spelling) priesthood are allow in the higher Heaven, that would mean only Mormons by the way. Those Mormons who have had their marraige sealed in one of the temples, of the church etc etc found thru out the USA. Now after your marriage is sealed you and your wife will be married in Heaven. Some time may pass but you will some day become a god of your own planet and have spirit children too.                    
    Depending on the groups some do believe in many wifes, some don't.
    Joesph Smith is greater than Jesus, he is there prophet.
 Jesus is a good teacher, but not as good as Joesph.
   The way Joeshp found the "golden tablets" that is used to base there book of Mormon is HIGHLY questionable, they have ADDED the book of Mormon to the Holy Scriptures as well so they have there own bible. There are several contradiction in the book of Mormon compared to the Scriptures. I even found evidence that Joeshp Smith used "special" glasses to transalated the golded tablets that an angel name some like Moronia gave him.
    Jesus came to the USA to minister to the Indians at some point in history.
     Genelogy is very very important so that they can trace there blood line back to members of the bibles.
I could go on and on but since it is my word against what ever it is your looking for then I don't know what else to say. Kingdom of the Cults is a good refrence book, Google.com, ask jeeves.com, any search engine is going to give you information about this and many other relegions.  http://www.ankerberg.com/
is a good site to visit.
Ok think I've given you enough info.
OH I do not believe that all Mormons are doomed to hell fire, NO, they are just as savable as the rest of this world, its what they believe that I don't like, not them.
Christ be glorfied,
musicllover  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 08:46:14 PM by musicllover » Logged

musicllover
JitC
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 02:49:56 AM »

It would appear that you could do well to go to any of the web site on your own, for and against, you don't need anyone here to give them too you.
I know, but a lot of people, here too, bad mouth Mormons. So I figured this might be a good place to come for answers. I don't want to spend the effort to become an expert in Mormonism just to find out if the claims of other Christians are valid.

There are thousands of Christian denominations, and they all differ to some degree. Some more than others. Some quite a bit. I'm not challenging the accusations that the Mormon beliefs differ greatly, or that they are considered strange compared to most Christians. What I'm simply asking for is some belief of their's that clearly is contradictory to the bible, backed up by proof that it's actually a belief of their's.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 02:51:51 AM by JitC » Logged
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 04:19:56 AM »

It would appear that you could do well to go to any of the web site on your own, for and against, you don't need anyone here to give them too you.
I know, but a lot of people, here too, bad mouth Mormons. So I figured this might be a good place to come for answers. I don't want to spend the effort to become an expert in Mormonism just to find out if the claims of other Christians are valid.

There are thousands of Christian denominations, and they all differ to some degree. Some more than others. Some quite a bit. I'm not challenging the accusations that the Mormon beliefs differ greatly, or that they are considered strange compared to most Christians. What I'm simply asking for is some belief of their's that clearly is contradictory to the bible, backed up by proof that it's actually a belief of their's.

OK....

The doctrines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) are very interesting. Most of the 'odd' ones are not initially taught to potential converts. But they should be. Instead, "they are are revealed later as one matures and gains the ability to accept them."  The LDS Church tries to make its official doctrines appear Christian but what underlies those Christian sounding terms is far from Christian in meaning.
     Following are the teachings of its officials throughout the years.  Please note that these teachings are documented from Mormon writers, not anti-Mormon writers.  
    Finally, many Mormons respond that most of the the citations below are not from official Mormon writings, as if that disproves the doctrines they teach.  If they are not official, fine.  But, if not, then why have the Mormon apostles and high officials taught them, written them, and why are their books sold in Mormon bookstores?  The truth is, the following is what Mormons are taught.

1. The true gospel was lost from the earth. Mormonism is its restoration, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 182-185
2. We need prophets today, the same as in the Old Testament, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 444-445
3. The book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible, History of the Church, 4:461.
4. If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation.  There is no salvation [the context is the full gospel including exaltation to Godhood] outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Doctrine, p. 670.
5. There are many gods, Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.
There is a mother god, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443.
6. God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321.  Joseph Smith,  Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.
7. After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354.
8. God the Father had a Father, Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476; Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 19; Milton Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, Gospel through the Ages, p. 104-105.
9. God resides near a star called Kolob, Pearl of Great Price, pages 34-35; Mormon Doctrine, p. 428.
10. God the Father has a body of flesh and bones, Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22.
11. God is in the form of a man, Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3.
12. God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children, Mormon Doctrine p. 516.
13. We were first begotten as spirit children in heaven and then born naturally on earth, Journal of Discourse, Vol. 4, p. 218.
14. The first spirit to be born in heaven was Jesus, Mormon Doctrine, page 129.
15. The Devil was born as a spirit after Jesus "in the morning of pre-existence," Mormon Doctrine, page 192.
16. Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.
17. A plan of salvation was needed for the people of earth so Jesus offered a plan to the father and Satan offered a plan to the father but Jesus' plan was accepted. In effect the Devil wanted to be the Savior of all Mankind and to "deny men their agency and to dethrone god." Mormon Doctrine, page 193; Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, page 8.
18.  God had sexual relations with Mary to make the body of Jesus, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, p. 218, 1857; vol. 8, p. 115. - This one is disputed among many Mormons and not always 'officially' taught and believed. Nevertheless, Young, the 2nd prophet of the Mormon church taught it.
19. Jesus' sacrifice was not able to cleanse us from all our sins, (murder and repeated adultery are exceptions), Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 247, 1856.
20. Good works are necessary for salvation, Articles of Faith, p. 92.
21. There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.
22. Baptism for the dead, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. II, p. 141. This is a practice of baptizing each other in place of non-Mormons who are now dead. Their belief is that in the afterlife, the "newly baptized" person will be able to enter into a higher level of Mormon heaven.
23. There are three levels of heaven: telestial, terrestrial, and celestial, Mormon Doctrine, p. 348.

Some Mormons may disagree with a few of the points listed on this page, but all of what is stated here is from Mormon authors in good standing of the Mormon church.

You will note that some is not accepted by various Mormons, yet much, if not most supplies the resource (book and author) for the teaching.  Not sure how much proof you need, but this should be proof enough.

I'm not sure about you, but I am hard pressed to find anything in this list that is not contradictory to the word of God.

Grace and Peace!

EDIT to add>>>> PS BTW, I don't dislike mormons, but I do disagree with their teachings.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 04:28:51 AM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 04:32:47 AM »

OK....

The doctrines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) are very interesting. Most of the 'odd' ones are not initially taught to potential converts. But they should be. Instead, "they are are revealed later as one matures and gains the ability to accept them."  The LDS Church tries to make its official doctrines appear Christian but what underlies those Christian sounding terms is far from Christian in meaning.
     Following are the teachings of its officials throughout the years.  Please note that these teachings are documented from Mormon writers, not anti-Mormon writers.  
    Finally, many Mormons respond that most of the the citations below are not from official Mormon writings, as if that disproves the doctrines they teach.  If they are not official, fine.  But, if not, then why have the Mormon apostles and high officials taught them, written them, and why are their books sold in Mormon bookstores?  The truth is, the following is what Mormons are taught.

1. The true gospel was lost from the earth. Mormonism is its restoration, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 182-185
2. We need prophets today, the same as in the Old Testament, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 444-445
3. The book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible, History of the Church, 4:461.
4. If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation.  There is no salvation [the context is the full gospel including exaltation to Godhood] outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Doctrine, p. 670.
5. There are many gods, Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.
There is a mother god, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443.
6. God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321.  Joseph Smith,  Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.
7. After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354.
8. God the Father had a Father, Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476; Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 19; Milton Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, Gospel through the Ages, p. 104-105.
9. God resides near a star called Kolob, Pearl of Great Price, pages 34-35; Mormon Doctrine, p. 428.
10. God the Father has a body of flesh and bones, Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22.
11. God is in the form of a man, Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3.
12. God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children, Mormon Doctrine p. 516.
13. We were first begotten as spirit children in heaven and then born naturally on earth, Journal of Discourse, Vol. 4, p. 218.
14. The first spirit to be born in heaven was Jesus, Mormon Doctrine, page 129.
15. The Devil was born as a spirit after Jesus "in the morning of pre-existence," Mormon Doctrine, page 192.
16. Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.
17. A plan of salvation was needed for the people of earth so Jesus offered a plan to the father and Satan offered a plan to the father but Jesus' plan was accepted. In effect the Devil wanted to be the Savior of all Mankind and to "deny men their agency and to dethrone god." Mormon Doctrine, page 193; Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, page 8.
18.  God had sexual relations with Mary to make the body of Jesus, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, p. 218, 1857; vol. 8, p. 115. - This one is disputed among many Mormons and not always 'officially' taught and believed. Nevertheless, Young, the 2nd prophet of the Mormon church taught it.
19. Jesus' sacrifice was not able to cleanse us from all our sins, (murder and repeated adultery are exceptions), Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 247, 1856.
20. Good works are necessary for salvation, Articles of Faith, p. 92.
21. There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.
22. Baptism for the dead, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. II, p. 141. This is a practice of baptizing each other in place of non-Mormons who are now dead. Their belief is that in the afterlife, the "newly baptized" person will be able to enter into a higher level of Mormon heaven.
23. There are three levels of heaven: telestial, terrestrial, and celestial, Mormon Doctrine, p. 348.

Some Mormons may disagree with a few of the points listed on this page, but all of what is stated here is from Mormon authors in good standing of the Mormon church.

You will note that some is not accepted by various Mormons, yet much, if not most supplies the resource (book and author) for the teaching.  Not sure how much proof you need, but this should be proof enough.

I'm not sure about you, but I am hard pressed to find anything in this list that is not contradictory to the word of God.

Grace and Peace!

EDIT to add>>>> PS BTW, I don't dislike mormons, but I do disagree with their teachings.

Right On 2nd Timothy, You Get "TWO" Thumbs Up

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 01:58:20 PM »

Here Here,
            You made it understood way more elegantly that I did. Your good  bro.
 Tongue
musicllover
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 02:01:15 PM by musicllover » Logged

musicllover
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the