Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:11:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286814 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Depression Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Depression Thread  (Read 2514 times)
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2004, 09:49:33 AM »

I know this is a touchy subject for some people. I am sorry about that to.

I belong to the Baptist Board and there is someone there and they keep saying this~> "Depression is a Sin!"   I don't agree with this at all!!

Depression, at which I suffer from, is a Chemical Imbalance in the Brain.  Certain life's issues can trigger the Depression in people.

I would like to know other's thought's on Depression.  

• Do you think it's a Sin to be Depressed?
    • Why do you think this way?  
    • How did you come to the conclusion to your decisions?
    • Do you really think God can Help a Depressed Person?
    • Is there Help for the Depressed?
    • Do you believe in Chemical Imbalances?
    • Is it Okay for a Christian to have Chemical Imbalances?
    • Do you think Christian's are Wrong for being Depressed?

This is an unscientific thread to help find answers to depressions.

Remember God Loves You!

Blessings,   \o/

MsGuidedAngel

« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 01:08:37 AM by MsGuidedAngel » Logged

FaithfulFollower

View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:06:45 PM »

Depression, as sin? That is out of the question. I agree wholeheartedly that it is a chemical imbalance, and no it is not wrong for a Christian to be depressed. Think of Job, surely he had it more difficult than many Christian examples within the Old and New Testament, save for one...Jesus Christ. For Job not only lost all his possessions, but his children and many of his servants, as well as his own health. How would you feel? Yes, Job was more than likely depressed but did he dwell within his own sorrows...yes perhaps he did but then again only God would know. Still, when asked about depression or when others regard it as a sin they may want to take up the word and read that book of the bible, for he would have known depression better than most and how he dealt with it sets the ideal example to many Christians. Also try to refer back to the ten commandments, where within it does it say that feeling depressed is a sin. Are the ten commandments not a guidline as to what sin is? This is not said to ruffle any feathers or rub anyone the wrong way. These are just my thoughts on the matter. Very interesting question...

With Love In Christ,

Danielle

With God ALL Things ARE Possible!
    Allinall
    Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 02:08:39 PM »

Well, let me ask this: Kristi Ann?  Why are you depressed?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
    sincereheart
    Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 06:41:31 PM »

"Depression in Christians can be a taboo subject. Many people don't know much about mental illness or depression, even though it will affect one in every five people at some point in their lives. Christians are not immune to that statistic.

These articles look at various aspects of Christian life, how the church can help depressed Christians, life and faith as a depressed Christian, some of the issues, trials and obstacles we face, how we can help ourselves and others.

Articles have not been written by a medical professional, or a church pastor, unless otherwise stated. They represent the views of the writer only, not those of any church, denomination or organisation. Articles are copyrighted by their respective authors."

http://www.gospelcom.net/cdp/articles/index.htm

sincereheart
    Gold Member

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 06:55:16 PM »

"Exposing the Myth that Christians Should Not Have Emotional Problems

Dwight L. Carlson

"The only army that shoots its wounded is the Christian army," said the speaker, a psychologist who had just returned from an overseas ministry trip among missionaries. He summed up the philosophy of the group he worked with as:

1. We don't have emotional problems. If any emotional difficulties appear to arise, simply deny having them.

2. If we fail to achieve this first ideal and can't ignore a problem, strive to keep it from family members and never breathe a word of it outside the family.

3. If both of the first two steps fail, still don't seek professional help.

I have been a Christian for 50 years, a physician for 29, and a psychiatrist for 15. Over this time I have observed these same attitudes throughout the church—among lay leaders, pastors, priests, charismatics, fundamentalists, and evangelicals alike. I have also found that many not only deny their problems but are intolerant of those with emotional difficulties. Many judge that others' emotional problems are the direct result of personal sin. This is a harmful view.

At any one time, up to 15 percent of our population is experiencing significant emotional problems. For them our churches need to be sanctuaries of healing, not places where they must hide their wounds."
    http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/1998/feb9/8t2028.html

"It's no sin to hurt.

Thousands of Christians suffer real emotional pain--such as depression, anxiety, obsessiveness. Many other Christians, including prominent leaders, believe emotional problems are the result of sin or bad choices. These attitudes often only add to the suffering of those who hurt.

In this book Dwight Carlson marshals recent scientific evidence that demonstrates many emotional problems are just as physical or biological as diabetes, cancer and heart disease. While he never discounts personal responsibility, Carlson shows from both the Bible and up-to-date medicine why it really is no sin to hurt. Understandably and compellingly, Why Do Christians Shoot Their Wounded? brings profound help for those who hurt and those who counsel.

For those who suffer, here is a powerful liberation from guilt. For those who care for the suffering, here is vivid proof that those in emotional pain deserve compassion, not comdemnation."
    http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=1666

ollie
    Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 08:19:24 PM »

I know this is a touchy subject for some people. I am sorry about that to.

I belong to the Baptist Board and there is someone there and they keep saying this~> "Depression is a Sin!"   I don't agree with this at all!!

Depression, at which I suffer from, is a Chemical Imblance in the Brain.  Certain life's issues can trigger the Depression in people.

I would like to know other's thought's on Depression.  

• Do you think it's a Sin to be Depressed?
      • Why do you think this way?  
      • How did you come to the conclusion to your decisions?
      • Do you really think God can Help a Depressed Person?
      • Is there Help for the Depressed?
      • Do you believe in Chemical Imbalances?
      • Is it Okay for a Christian to have Chemical Imbalances?
      • Do you think Christian's are Wrong for being Depressed?

This is an unscientific thread to help find answers to depressions.

Remember God Loves You!

Blessings,   \o/

MsGuidedAngel

"I belong to the Baptist Board and there is someone there and they keep saying this~> "Depression is a Sin!"  I don't agree with this at all!!"

Ask them: Where is it written?

Proceed to tell them what is sin and who does and who doesn't sin according to scripture.

Romahs 14:23.....whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
       James 4:17.  Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
      1 John 5:17.  All unrighteousness is sin: .......
      1 John 3:4.  Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
       5.  And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
       6.  Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
       7.  Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
       8.  He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
       9.  Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Praying that all works out ok for you.

Ollie
      « Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 08:22:05 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
      Kristi Ann
      Gold Member

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 11:24:25 PM »

Dear Allinal,

Wow, I knew someone would find out about my deep depression, thanks!!

From "My Story" at Kristi Ann's Haven today.

I seen my doctor today, and she might give me more Zoloft.  Right now, I have been on Zoloft 100mg for since 2001.  My doctor is thinking of giving me 200mg of Zoloft a day now.

I got more Vicodin for my pain today.  My doctor made sure I will see an Neurologist Doctor, I really need to see an Orthopaedic Doctor for my pain problems.  I took a Vicodin while I was waiting to be seen at the Old Town Clinic.  I was wearing my neck brace, but the pain was bad enough, I took a pain pill.

My doctor asked me if I have found a job yet again today. She does this almost everytime I see her. I tell her I cannot work anymore Sara, I hurt to much.  

My doctor (Sara) did sign the form for Tri-Met today. This means I can get an Honored Citizen ID Card. I will be able to get a Public Bus and Light-Rail all over Portland, Oregon.  I get the monthly tickets for the same price senior citizen's get, however, it's for the disabled as well!!

People ask me why I am depressed, I cannot give a good reason right now. Being disowned by my daddy in 2000, hurt me Very deeply, I never got to make up with him before he committed suicide February 26th, 2003.  I tried to make up with him, he didn't want to have anything to with me at all.  That's Hurts!!!  I started my Zoloft in 2001, it helped me good! But, in 2003, I lost my daddy, then my Job, Then Social Securtiy  Administration denied me twice for my Social Security Disablitiy Income in 2003.  I got a lawyer in December 2003 to fight my SSDI case with the Social Security Administration.  I called my attorney yesterday and spoke with Lisa, She would get my message to Steve the Paralegal and he will call me back. Why I was away at my doctor, the Law Office called, the answering machine is Not working at all. They could not leave a messge for me.

So, before everyone jumps down my back about my depression.  I am Not demon possessed, nor do I let satan have his way. God is the Only Way!!  I have no control over my pain, so how can people say Depression is a sin, Because it is Not a sin!!  I am not sinning because I am depressed.  How would everyone feel if they had no income for more than a year?!

Need help  Undecided  in Oregon, because I am hurting in more ways than I can count!!!   Cry

Love Always,

KristiAnn
      « Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:21:33 PM by MsGuidedAngel » Logged

Shammu
      Global Moderator
      Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 01:02:49 AM »

Depression is NOT a sin, it is a chemical imbalance. Everyone gets depressed at one time or another. What ever board said that is wrong MGA.
      I truly believe that God can help everyone, that needs the help. God won't give you more then you can handle.
      Yes I believe that it is ok to have chemical imbalances. Thats the Lords way of saying HEY!!!
      I look at myself when I was depressed, after my wifes murder. It took God a while, to get it through my thick skull to wake up.
      So I would think it is wrong for Christians to think it is a sin.

Kristi Ann
      Gold Member

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 01:40:39 AM »

Thank you from the Bottom of my Heart Ollie & DreamWeaver!!  I Love you both Very Much!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what people are saying at Kristi Ann's Haven about my Depression Theard I have there.  It's just a clean link to that Forum at Kristi Ann's Haven;

"Depression Thread at Kristi Ann's Haven"

I Love you Always & Forever!!!

KristiAnn
      AKA
      MsGuidedAngel   Grin

sincereheart
      Gold Member

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 07:47:37 AM »

I look at myself when I was depressed, after my wifes murder.

Yep. That would make me depressed, too!  Lips Sealed

Allinall
      Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 09:16:02 AM »

Dear Allinal,

Wow, I knew someone would find out about my deep depression, thanks!!

From "My Story" at Kristi Ann's Haven today.

I seen my doctor today, and she might give me more Zoloft.  Right now, I have been on Zoloft 100mg for since 2001.  My doctor is thinking of giving me 200mg of Zoloft a day now.

I got more Vicodin for my pain today.  My doctor made sure I will see an Neurologist Doctor, I really need to see an Orthopaedic Doctor for my pain problems.  I took a Vicodin while I was waiting to be seen at the Old Town Clinic.  I was wearing my neck brace, but the pain was bad enough, I took a pain pill.

My doctor asked me if I have found a job yet again today. She does this almost everytime I see her. I tell her I cannot work anymore Sara, I hurt to much.  

My doctor (Sara) did sign the form for Tri-Met today. This means I can get an Honored Citizen ID Card. I will be able to get a Public Bus and Light-Rail all over Portland, Oregon.  I get the monthly tickets for the same price senior citizen's get, however, it's for the disabled as well!!

People ask me why I am depressed, I cannot give a good reason right now. Being disowned by my daddy in 2000, hurt me Very deeply, I never got to make up with him before he committed suicide February 26th, 2003.  I tried to make up with him, he didn't want to have anything to with me at all.  That's Hurts!!!  I started my Zoloft in 2001, it helped me good! But, in 2003, I lost my daddy, then my Job, Then Social Securtiy  Administration denied me twice for my Social Security Disablitiy Income in 2003.  I got a lawyer in December 2003 to fight my SSDI case with the Social Security Administration.  I called my attorney yesterday and spoke with Lisa, She would get my message to Steve the Paralegal and he will call me back. Why I was away at my doctor, the Law Office called, the answering machine is Not working at all. They could not leave a messge for me.

So, before everyone jumps down my back about my depression.  I am Not demon posed, nor do I let satan have his way. God is the Only Way!!  I have no control over my pain, so how can people say Depression is a sin, Because it is Not a sin!!  I am not sinning because I am depressed.  How would everyone feel if they had no income for more than a year?!

Need help  Undecided  in Oregon, because I am hurting in more ways than I can count!!!   Cry

Love Always,

KristiAnn

Thanks for sharing that with me!  I'm not going to talk about depression being a sin, or being possessed by demons, or anything else.  That's just odd thinking, of a truly biblical approach to all of life's problems, both medically and psychologically.

Let me ask this: Is God sovereign?  Is He in control?  If you answer "no" to this question, I'd challenge you to read the book of Job, with particular attention to the last few chapters.

If you answer "yes" to this question, then I'd challenge you with this passage:

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

1 Corinthians 10:13

The word translated temptation here, refers to a testing, or trial.  So what's God saying?  That it's not uncommon.  There's "nothing new under the sun."  And He makes a great distinction here.  HE[/b] is faithful, and will not allow you to suffer beyond your ability to respond rightly to Him through out the trial.  My paraphrase?  He never sets you up for a fall.  So if you're going through this, God's telling you that you can go through this.  He's telling you, like Paul, that "my grace is sufficient for you."  

Doesn't help the pain and the depression much though does it?   Cheesy Smiley  Consider the rest of the verse.  He not only is faithful in allowing this in your life, but He is faithful in giving you a way of escape.  This is important.  Not so you can get out of the trial, but that you may be able to bear the trial.  He not only doesn't set you up for a fall, He holds you up so that you don't have to fall.

So is depression a sin?  Should ask, is God in control of your imbalanced chemicals?  I would say that depression is a response to a trial God is putting you through in most cases.  A sin?  Or a simple matter of believing that His "grace is sufficient for you."

Probably not much of a help.  Just a thought... Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
      nChrist
      Global Moderator
      Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 11:09:21 AM »

DreamWeaver Said:

I look at myself when I was depressed, after my wifes murder. It took God a while, to get it through my thick skull to wake up.
      So I would think it is wrong for Christians to think it is a sin.

Brother, I had not heard this. I will double my prayers for you. This brought back many horrible memories about one of my duties in police work, telling families about the loss of a loved one. It also reminds me about a group I talked with numerous times "Parents of Murdered Children". It almost makes me cry every time I think about it. Strong emotions about a subject like this are simply human for anyone who has a heart.

I give thanks for you brother, especially that God has allowed you to keep a kind and loving heart.

Love In Christ,
      Tom

nChrist
      Global Moderator
      Gold Member

View Profile
      « Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 11:28:24 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I just wanted to add two cents worth here. Yes, Christians can suffer from depression, even though they have the greatest and most precious GIFT, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. It is just another illness.

I've heard some television evangelists say that illness means a person is not yielded or right with God. This is baloney, as all mankind will suffer from illness unless they are stillborn. Some have gone so far as to say that the need for glasses, hearing aids, etc. is also a sign that the person is not right with God. Well, the fall of man from Adam should tell all of us that no man is completely right with God, OR even close. The whole stage show about men being able to stop illness or physical death is complete baloney. Illness, in itself, is not a sin, but some sins do lead to illness (i.e. alcohol, dope, alternative lifestyles, etc.). Other than self-imposed illness, depression is just another illness showing the weakness of man and dependency on our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. This does not imply that Almighty God will heal us of all our afflictions. BUT, it does mean that Almighty God will help us deal with our afflictions during our short journey on this earth.

Yes, I am aware of those who would call depression and other illnesses a sin. Those who do are not free of pain, illness, and affliction, nor are any men. To me, it appears that they do little but proclaim self-righteousness and lie.

Love In Christ,
      Tom

Mxyzptlk

View Profile
      « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 12:28:57 AM »

A few years ago I got a call early one morning from our church pianist, frantically giving me directions and asking me to come to her sister-in-law's house, who had just shot herself.  All the way there, the Spirit of the Lord was dealing with me, giving me a very direct funeral message taking on the subject of depression and suicide and eternity.  I found it a strange feeling, as I had been told she was still alive, and in fact when I arrived, the EMS personnel were taking her out still alive.  But I later received a call telling me she had died.  I was asked by our pianist to come to her house and talk to her brother about what he wanted in relation to the funeral.  When I got there, I found him very quiet, even distant, with a look that told me something was very strongly on his mind.  I just sat and waited, and finally, he asked me point-blank, what do you believe about the salvation of someone who commits suicide?  

Boy, talk about walking on eggshells!   But at least I was already clear on the point, so I just shared with him that if he was concerned that I was one of those who think it's a one-way ticket to hell, he need not worry.  I knew from his sister that his wife had been on Prozac for sometime, and had stopped taking the medication.  And I believe in such circumstances, a person can be in an emotional state in which I believe they are essentially not responsible for their actions.  When I shared that, you could see the relief rolling like a wave across his body.  It turned out that 20 years earlier, he had a close friend who committed suicide, and when he attended the funeral, he heard one of the harshest messages you can imagine a minister preaching.  He had not been back to church since.  So he requested on the spot, that I would address the topic of suicide and my opinion as I had just expressed it to him.  Easy request for me, the Lord had already directed me to do so anyway, a fact I shared with him, for added assurance that God was already at work on the same thing.  

It was an amazing thing to be a part of that situation and a part of the healing process for a 20-year wound.  It remains one of the most powerful ministry experiences of my life.  And I appreciate having so many posting here who can see this illness for what it is.  It's sad to see that the misunderstanding still persists, I for one hope the opinion described from the other forum was  the exception there, rather than the rule.

R.M.

No one is to be more pitied than those dedicated to the ignorant persistence of persistent ignorance.
      nChrist
      Global Moderator
      Gold Member

View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 03:53:52 AM »

Mxyzptlk,

AMEN!!!

There is only one one-way ticket to Hell:

Rejection of Jesus Christ, Very God, Almighty God, as Lord and Saviour.

Christians are not immune from strokes, brain cancer, Alzheimer's, and a host of other illnesses that cripple or remove thinking. Many have to be watched 24/7. I give thanks that God used you to end 20 years of suffering. Now, I pray that this man will be drawn back into a close relationship with our Lord and Saviour.

Love In Christ,
      Tom

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
      « previous next »
      Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
      Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the