Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:28:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Trick question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trick question  (Read 1174 times)
Reba
« on: February 27, 2004, 09:25:12 PM »

Trick question guys...

What were the signs and wonders at the time of His

ascension?
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 08:57:16 AM »

Trick question? Yuk.

Do you mean at the "exact time" of his ascension into heaven?

Act 1:9  And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
Act 1:10  And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
Act 1:11  Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Just following his ascension into heaven?

Mar 16:17  And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18  They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mar 16:19  So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20  And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Or are you speaking of his arising from the tomb?

Mat 28:2  And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

I'll have to ponder this some more; there's something just niggling at the corner of my memory...

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Reba
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 11:57:57 AM »

Gracey

I knew this thead would nto get much action if any at all. AThe simple truth is Jesus sorta'quietly slipped into heaven'  and the scriptures says what?

Act 1:11  Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

This just doesn't fit in with mans ongoing plan for His return.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 12:22:32 PM »

Gracey

I knew this thead would nto get much action if any at all. AThe simple truth is Jesus sorta'quietly slipped into heaven'  and the scriptures says what?

Huh

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 03:35:36 PM »

Well, the scripture also says this:

Act 1:9  And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
Act 1:10  And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

Personally, If I saw a guy "received" by a cloud, and then found two unknown men suddenly standing next to me I'd probably consider that to be some kind of sign, and definitely a wonder!

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Reba
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 03:38:29 PM »

That was after the fact...
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 04:48:09 PM »

I'm confused here too  Huh

Jesus will return in like manner.  Just as he rose into the sky he will return in the sky.   My Jumpin shoes are on!  lol   I'm still not sure I understand what you mean Reba....what am I missing here?

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Reba
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 05:06:20 PM »

ascension?

Tim, i dont have a programed lesson. These scriptures seem to say He sorta quietly left, and in like manner He will return...If it doesnt hit you to make you read more great! if it does great!

I am 57 have heard scripture all my life, that is a lot of years, tis great that the Word is written to be new every day! Always a new question. This one hit me a couple months ago.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 05:08:54 PM by Reba » Logged
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 05:15:27 PM »

ascension?

Tim, i dont have a programed lesson. These scriptures seem to say He sorta quietly left, and in like manner He will return...If it doesnt hit you to make you read more great! if it does great!

I am 57 have heard scripture all my life, that is a lot of years, tis great that the Word is written to be new every day! Always a new question. This one hit me a couple months ago.
I see what you're getting at, I think.

When I read the ascension account, the impression I get is that St Luke is trying to describe the indescribable; the words, the concepts, don't exist to say what he wants to say.   The same is true for the various places that talk about the second coming - either they are deliberately shrouded in mystery (as when Christ mentions it) or read as though they are attempting to describe what words can't properly convey.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 08:43:50 AM »

That was after the fact...

Sorry, this is a little old...I've been away a bit. But this particular part of the verse I've posted is "in the present", for example "while they beheld", and then again in verse 10 "while they looked":

verse 10 then says "as he went up, behold, two men". None of that indicates after the fact, but at the time, give or take a few minutes; or am i reading that wrong? (wouldn't be the first time   Smiley )

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
twobombs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 11:58:53 AM »

There are a lot of similarities in the ascention of Jesus and the ascention of Henoch. Try google for the ascention of henoch Smiley
So I don't need to spoil any of the fun
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 12:00:51 PM by twobombs » Logged

[ Tempus Fugit Smiley ]
Reba
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 03:10:54 PM »

Acts 1:9-11

9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
KJV

Gracey,

the passage reads to me  sorta like, it's one part of the event after the other  all about the same time sorta. Smiley

The thoughts in my head, questioning myself, have to do with ... so many folks looking for signs, all the books,  the movies all the end time charts trying to use the 'signs' to pin point as much as man can the time of His return.

The account in Acts is void of such fanfare. Much of the majesty i see there is it's simplicity. Makes me wonder about al the  hype.  Huh
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2004, 04:32:29 PM »

ascension?

Is the quiet and unheralded way He ascended into heaven the signs and wonders.
Won't a trumpet sound when He returns and every eye will see Him?
The dead in Christ will rise to meet Him in the air and then we who are alive at the time. And so shall we ever be with the Lord. What a wonder that is!
Doesn't Paul say there is to be a great falling away first and that man of sin revealed?

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Reba
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 09:02:38 PM »

I just found the passage odd so different then i had "always heard' It just sounds 'matter of fact'.

The scripture say what they say. What we do to em can be strange.  
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the