Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 01:59:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286815 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Wisdom: Sons of Men (Proverbs 8:1-21)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wisdom: Sons of Men (Proverbs 8:1-21)  (Read 1142 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:16:36 PM »

Wisdom: Sons of Men (Proverbs 8:1-21)
From A Voice In The Wilderness

"Does not wisdom call out? And does not understanding put forth her  voice? ...I call out to you, O men, and my voice is to the sons of men.  Understand wisdom, you simple ones; and you fools, be of an  understanding heart. Listen, for I will speak of excellent things, and  from the opening of my lips shall be right things" (vs1,4-6)

If someone is trying to sell something, or to get one's attention  regarding politics or other things, how do most people go about it?  Don't they usually make things look enticing? Don't they usually try to  use flattery to make the person -feel- 'good', pumping up their  self-esteem, give them a sense that if they possessed the thing being  offered that it would even 'enhance' what is -already- otherwise just  'outstanding'? Does a car salesman approach a customer, "Hey, you idiot!  Why don't you buy this car!" ?? Does a politician call out from the  lecturn, "If you fools know what's good for you, you bunch o' numskulls,  you morons better vote for me!" ??

But wisdom, that which is the gauge and essence of the "fear of Jehovah"  (Ps111:10), essentially says: Hey you idiots, you numkulls, you fools,  you simpletons... HERE I AM!

Does not typical "evangelism" teach that a soul-winner should use  "salemanship" in enticing people to Christ? The Bible school course on  "Personal Evangelism", where I attended years ago, included as required  reading Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People"  The course  in hymn-conducting, that which is related to being up on the platform in  front of up to potentially thousands of people, we were taught to "know  what the audience wants...and give it to them". Pump them up to -feel-  'happy'. Get them all smiling and laughing with pleasure. Hmmm. Come to  think of it, I don't now recall any Scripture that was used in that  class as a -basis- for what they taught. It was all "crowd psychology".  The world's marketing strategies.

If the preacher or evangelist is to get up to speak, to turn the sinner  from their sin, how does 'happiness' prepare the heart of the hearer for  such a message?

But how is the heart prepared, according to Scripture? Through "sorrow"  (2Co7:10) and "humility" (Ja4:8-10)

Oh, but that's right... preachers no longer try to turn people from  their sin, either; instead telling them what "wonderful people" they  are. After all, why would unhappy people keep the offering plates full?  But if preachers were doing God's will...

"But if they had stood in My counsel and had caused My people to hear My  Words, then they would have turned them from their evil way and from the  evil of their doings." (Jer23:22)

The one whom Jesus labeled the "greatest" prophet "born of woman"  (Lk7:28 ) lashed out at his audiences: "Offspring of vipers! Who warned  you to flee from the wrath to come?" (Lk3:7)

Hmmm... That's somewhat how this proverb begins, isn't it.

The first half of this proverb is about absolutes. White vs black, good  vs evil, righteousness vs perversity. No so-called "gray areas".

What is the usual reaction of those inflamed with drugs and liquor,  whose only topic of conversation is their past sexual escapades and  their plans for more; if somebody comes along speaking of righteousness  and goodness, and condemns lasciviousness? Are they not growled at! Do  the fools listen to righteousness? They usually laugh to scorn the  righteous one. They are not filled with Wisdom. They are not possessed  of the Fear of God.

"The transgression of the wicked declares within my heart: There is no  fear of God before his eyes." (Ps36:1)

Wisdom is truth, not wickedness. (vs7)

Wisdom is righteous, not crooked or perverse. (vs8 )

Wisdom is plain and right "to those who find knowledge" (vs9)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

Have you ever noticed that there are some who devour God's Word. They  read the Bible and they -understand- it. On the other hand, have you  ever read the writings of someone who is scoffing at some Biblical  matter, and as you read through their voluminous words, you scratch your  head trying to find rhyme or reason to what they are saying? And with  the same person, if you try to reason with them from God's Word it is  like talking to a brick wall...they seem utterly incapable of fathoming  anything you say. As if to take one's hand and make a sweeping pass over  one's own head...an American expression between those who understand  each other, about somebody who didn't "get" it..."Zoom"... it went "over  their head". Why is that? Because wisdom is in direct proportion to the  Fear of God. If they don't fear God, they don't have wisdom.

"We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not  hear us. By this we know the Spirit of Truth and the spirit of error."  (1Jn4:6)

"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God,  for they are foolishness to him; and he is not able to know them,  because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual discerns  all things, yet he himself is discerned by no one. For who has known the  mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of  Christ." (1Co2:14-16)

With wisdom is prudence; and the ferreting out of devices (vs12)

In this case the word "devices" suggests evil plots, schemes,  subterfuge, lies, distortions. Evil things which Wisdom -hates-. In  other words...

Wisdom -HATES- pride, arrogance, every evil way, and the "perverse  mouth" (vs13) Wisdom hates the evil heart: as Jesus said,

"But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart,  and they defile a man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts,  murders, adulteries, sexual perversions, thefts, false witness,  blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man..." (Mt15:18-20)

And as David says, "Do I not hate them, O Jehovah, who hate You? And do  I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with complete  hatred; I count them my enemies." (Ps139:21-22)

So... What is the use of Wisdom to the sons of men?

When a nation and its judicial system are functioning correctly, it is  WISDOM by which rulers and judges guide a nation. (vs15-16)

"Blessed is the nation whose God is Jehovah..." (Ps33:12)

When a nation acknowledges the Most High, God's "ordinance" (Rom13:1)  gives that nation's rulers wisdom. But when a people refuse the Most  High, then comes a situation to fleshly mankind that Solomon expounds in  the next book...

"I have seen servants on horses, and princes walking on the ground like  servants." (Ec10:7)

...where a society is backwards. And God pronounces woe upon such...

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil; who put darkness for  light and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet and sweet for  bitter!" (Is5:20)

So... What is the benefit of Wisdom?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »

Wisdom is "better than jewels"; and any 'thing' a person might desire  "cannot be compared to it" (vs11)  Wisdom's "enduring wealth" is  righteousness. (vs18 ) Wisdom's increase/fruit is better than gold and  silver. And if a person walks in righteousness, it is justice. (vs20)  Like the Word says,

"Behold, the soul of him who is puffed up is not upright; but the just  shall live by his faith." (Hab2:4, Rom1:17)

There are many who seek to amass many zeros behind numbers in their  portfolios of self-worth. But what are those zeros worth? Going down a  bit different path, it's somewhat like this stupid science fiction show  I saw once, where this "wealthiest woman in the world" would special  order exotic creations; where money was no object. This company had  genetically engineered a miniature elephant, as well as 'disposable'  worker humanoids. Well, the lady saw a 'soul' in this one humanoid that  was about to be disposed of, because its usefulness had been expended.  As she is sitting, contemplating all her wealth in thinking about  purchasing the humanoid in question, she reasons: What is the worth of  all that wealth if it just -sits- there. It is only worth something if  it is -spent-.

What is the value of gold? On this earth many murders have been  committed in efforts at its acquisition, to store and horde it. But in  Heaven, the New Jerusalem, the -streets- are paved with gold. Gold is  something to be walked and trampled upon, in comparison to Heaven's  grandeur.

In the same way, what is the comparison for the person who hordes  earthly wealth, for whom God says, "Fool! This night your soul will be  required of you; then whose will those things be which you have  prepared?" (Lk12:20)

But for the person who leaves aside earthly wealth and its accompanying  lusts in favor of Wisdom, Righteousness, Justice; that person walks on  Heavenly streets of gold.

And God sees to it that the righteous are not lacking. Jesus compared  earthly human concerns to the birds, whom God feeds. The psalmist makes  observation:

"I have been young, and now am old; yet I have not seen the righteous  forsaken, nor his seed begging bread." (Ps37:25)

For the righteous one, wisdom says, "...godliness with contentment is  great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is evident  that we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these  we shall be content." (1Tim6:6-8 )

So, what is the summation regarding Wisdom to the sons of men? To  humanity?

The world says a wise person, through their wisdom, will plan their  financial future; get themselves into the right lucrative careers,  invest their income, develop a financial "portfolio", so that when they  get old they can retire with ease, and also leave an inheritance to  their children and grandchildren. In the case of many who are wealthy,  such financial plans tend to include scheming, subterfuge, lies, theft,  cheating, and even... murder. Where is the "Wisdom" in that? It is the  "wisdom of this world" and is "foolishness with God" (1Co3:19)

But God's Wisdom "walks in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the  paths of justice" (vs20) and comes with the promise, "I will fill up  their treasuries" (vs21)

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show his works out of  good conduct, in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and  contention in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This  wisdom does not come down from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic.  For where envy and contention exist, there is confusion and every evil  deed. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable,  fair, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without  partiality and without hypocrisy. Moreover the fruit of righteousness is  sown in peace by those who make peace." (Ja3:13-18 )

"..knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep;
for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. Let us
 walk decently, as in the day...putting on the Lord Jesus Christ..
...redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
Romans 13:11-14~ Ephesians 5:16

Free E-Mail Subscriptions: http://www.a-voice.org/mail

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the