Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 10:33:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 359396 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: May 12, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

Instead of lodging the lion and the leopard and the wolf!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Secret Place" 1907)

"With authority He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey Him!" Mark 1:27

No word of the Gospel sounds more gladsomely in my ears than this. For the unclean spirits have invaded the citadel of my soul, and asserted their hateful domination over me. I have no strength to drive them out--but, my Lord, You can rescue me from their hideous craft and polluting bondage! Every deadly sin may be defeated by the virtue of Your Cross, and the omnipotence of Your Spirit.

There is what Dante calls the hungry lion of Pride. In my pride . . .
  I claim a false superiority,
  I exalt myself arrogantly and unreasonably,
  I am never satisfied,
  I am never content with the honor I receive. Always I am clamoring for more, and more, and more.

Lord Jesus Christ, subdue this demon of Pride!

Then there is what Dante calls the spotted leopard of Sensuality. It is not simply in my hot youth that I give harborage to corrupting imaginations, which sink me beneath my true dignity. They are horribly persistent. They follow me into my riper age. Again and again they reappear. A story in the newspaper makes them recur, or a too suggestive picture, or an impure word which I overhear as I hurry along the street.

Wrestle, O Christ, with the spotted leopard in me, and kill him outright! Forsake me not, until my hidden thoughts are as sinless as Your own.

And there is what Dante calls the famished wolf of Covetousness. I crave money, crave it with a hunger which refuses to be appeased. If I have managed to secure a little gain, and am of some account in the social sphere--I am full of eagerness to add to my store. If I am poor, I am discontented, and forever scheming and toiling for more money.

Lord Jesus, when You were here, You had nothing of the world's riches--and yet Your heart lacked for no good thing. Without wallet or purse, You were crowned with the love of the Father and the fullness of the Spirit. Teach me Your secret, and let the wolf of Covetousness be slain too.

You are all I want. Come to me, and dwell patiently and victoriously within me--until I am holy as You are holy. Then, instead of lodging the lion and the leopard and the wolf, and many another unclean and loathly beast--I shall be conformed to the Lamb and the Dove!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »

A truly humble man!

(Jonathan Edwards)

"For thus says the High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit!" Isaiah 57:15

A truly humble man is sensible . . .
  of his natural distance from God;
  of his dependence on Him;
  of the insufficiency of his own power and wisdom;
  that it is by God's power that he is upheld and provided for;
  that he needs God's wisdom to lead and guide him, and His might to enable him to live a holy life.

Nothing sets a person so much out of the devil's reach, as humility!

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble!" 1 Peter 5:5

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: May 12, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »

A mother's tasks!

(J.R. Miller, "Intimate Letters on Personal Problems" 1914)

I know well that a mother's tasks in the home, caring for her children, are not light. It is no easy thing to go on in the same routine, day after day, week after week, month after month . . .
  always keeping sweet,
  always having a shining face and a cheerful word,
  always strong to meet every question and perplexity and difficulty which comes to you.

But I want to say a word of encouragement to you. The mother 's place is the highest place to which any woman can be called! When God puts into your hand a little child . . .
  to care for,
  to guide,
  to teach,
  to watch over,
  to inspire and train for life and eternity--
He puts upon you serious responsibility.
But He also promises the strength you need, and the help for every experience.

One of Augustine's great prayers was, "Command what You will--and then give what You command." That is the way God always does, if we trust Him and go forward in simple confidence. Whatever He commands us to do--He will help us to do. Nothing is impossible when we have Christ with us and in us.

I want to help you to enter upon your days, whatever their care may be, with the confidence that your Master is with you and is going to help you to get through everything beautifully, victoriously and sweetly.

It is a great thing to be able to live victoriously, amid all the cares and frets and frictions and trials of everyday life.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: May 13, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »

My subtlest and strongest enemies are within myself!

Fighting a long and hard campaign, I shall be very foolish if I underestimate my foes. There are many of them, but they serve under a trinity of wicked captains.

1. "If any man loves the WORLD," writes John, "the love of the Father is not in him." The World is my sworn and unrelenting enemy--an enemy all the more dangerous because it professes to be something so different--the best of comrades and the truest of friends.

I must take my part, and that with diligence, in the World's business. Yet what a risk there is, that it should absorb my thoughts morning and night! Then I shall become selfish and earthly and unspiritual.

I must make acquaintance with the World's literature, and much of it is beautiful and good. But I am prone to give it an undue attention, and to forget the divine library which God's finger has penned.

I must mingle among the World's citizens, and many of them are love-worthy and full of charm. Yet, when I prize them overmuch, they separate me from Father and Son and Holy Spirit.

Under its kindly face--the World is a hostile power!

2. "Your adversary the DEVIL," writes Peter. Here is another stupendous antagonist. The accuser of the brethren prowls about, unseen and malignant, sleeplessly plotting my harm! Never should I leave off my spiritual armor.

"The FLESH lusts against the Spirit," writes Paul. After all, my subtlest and strongest enemies are within myself! Old sin comes back, seeking the mastery again. And much in me loves it, and goes out to meet and embrace it. There, indeed, is my greatest hazard--there my most deadly snare!

"O wretched man that I am!" I re-echo the ancient cry, "who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Yes, my worst foes are entrenched within the citadel of Man-soul, within my own heart!

My God, I have no might against this great company, neither do I know what to do! But--but my eyes are upon You!

"To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy--to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore!" Jude 1:24-25

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: May 19, 2014, 06:40:28 PM »

Rules for training children

(Susanna Wesley)

Susanna Wesley was the mother of John and Charles Wesley--and 17 other children. Here are some simple rules which she used in training her children for God:

1. Eating between meals is not allowed.

2. Children are to be in bed by 8 p.m.

3. Children are required to take medicine without complaining.

4. Teach children to fear the 'rod of correction'.

5. Teach children to pray as soon as they can speak.

6. Require all children to be still during family worship.

7. Give children nothing that they cry for. Only grant their wishes when asked for politely.

8. Parents should not punish any fault which is first confessed and repented of. This will prevent lying in children.

9. Never allow a sinful act to go unpunished.

10. Commend and reward good behavior. Any attempt to please, even if poorly performed, should be commended.

11. Strictly keep all promises to children.

12. Parents are to subdue self-will in every child. When the will of a child is totally subdued, and it is brought to revere and stand in awe of the parents--then a great many childish follies may be passed by. I insist on the conquering of the will of children early, because this is the only strong and rational foundation of a religious education. When this is thoroughly done, then a child is capable of being governed by reason and piety.

"The silent influence of parental conduct is far greater, either for good or for evil, than most parents are aware of. You teach by what you say, you influence by what you do; and also by what you do not say, and do not perform." J.A. James

"O parents, parents! Take care what you are teaching your children by your example. You are always influencing them for good--or evil. You are leading them to Heaven--or to Hell. Not a day passes, but you produce impressions, perhaps permanent impressions--either good or bad!" James Smith

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: May 19, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »

An old countryman once gave me some good advice which I have never forgotten!

(John Colwell, "Little Foxes; The Little Sins That Mar the Christian Character" 1882)

"Catch the foxes--the little foxes that spoil the vines, for our vines have tender grapes!" Song of Songs 2:15

"Do not grumble!" James 5:9

The grumbling fox is known by his constant growl and discontent.

An old countryman once gave me some good advice which I have never forgotten. "There are two things," said he, "at which you should never grumble--first, at things which you can change; and, secondly, at things which you cannot change.
If you can change them--then change them.
And if you cannot change them--then leave them alone."

"Why, then, we shall never grumble at anything," I replied.

"Exactly so!" said he.

"He has heard your grumbling against Him. You are not grumbling against us, but against the LORD!" Exodus 16:8

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: May 19, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »

An inexhaustible mine of wealth!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"He has given us His exceeding great and precious promises!" 2 Peter 1:4

The promises of God are an inexhaustible mine of wealth to the believer. Happy is it for him if he knows how to search out their secret veins, and enrich himself with their hidden treasures.

The promises of God are a spiritual armory, containing all kinds of offensive and defensive weapons. Blessed is he who has learned . . .
  to enter into the sacred arsenal,
  to put on the breastplate and the helmet, and
  to lay his hand to the spear and to the sword!

The promises of God are a spiritual pharmacy, in which the believer will find all kinds of restoratives and blessed elixirs. There is . . .
  an ointment for every wound,
  a cordial for every faintness,
  a remedy for every disease.
Blessed is he who is well skilled in heavenly pharmacy and knows how to lay hold on the healing virtues of the promises of God!

The promises are a spiritual storehouse of food to the Christian. They are as the granaries which Joseph built in Egypt, or as the golden pot wherein the manna was preserved. Blessed is he who can take the five barley loaves and fishes of promise--and break them until his five thousand necessities shall all be supplied, and he is able to gather up baskets full of fragments.

The promises are the Christian's Magna Carta of blessings; they are the title deeds of his heavenly estate! Happy is he who knows how to read them well and call them all his own.

Yes, they are the jewel room in which the Christian's crown treasures are preserved. The regalia are his, secretly to admire today--which he shall openly wear in Paradise hereafter. He is already privileged as a king with the silver key that unlocks the strong room; he may even now grasp the scepter, wear the crown, and put the imperial mantle upon his shoulders!

O, how unutterably rich are the promises of our faithful, covenant-keeping God! If we had the tongue of the mightiest of orators, and if that tongue could be touched with a live coal from off the altar--yet still it could not utter a tenth of the praises of the exceeding great and precious promises of God. Nay, those who have entered into Heavenly rest, whose tongues are attuned to the lofty and rapturous eloquence of cherubim and seraphim--even they can never tell the height and depth, the length and breadth of the unsearchable riches of Christ, which are stored up in the treasure house of God--the promises of the covenant of His grace!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: May 19, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »

The furnace of affliction!

(William Nicholson and Milburn Cockrell, "The Furnace of Affliction!")

"Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have chosen you in the furnace of affliction!" Isaiah 48:10

The furnace of affliction is divinely appointed.
Afflictions are not the result of chance or blind fate.
Afflictions do not arise out of the dust (Job 5:6).
Afflictions are not to be traced to secondary causes.
Afflictions are not merely the work of our enemies.
Afflictions come from the moral government of God.

Without His permissive hand, they would never take place.
Without His restraining hand, they would be overwhelming.
Without His supporting hand, they would be intolerable.
Without His sanctifying hand, they would never be blessed.

Afflictions come by the wise and gracious arrangement of God's divine providence. "So that no one would be disturbed by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we have been destined for this!" (1 Thessalonians 3:3). "Heed the rod, and the One who appointed it!" (Micah 6:9).

As a furnace is prepared for refining gold (Proverbs 17:3)--so afflictions are appointed for the saints, who are compared to fine gold (Lamentations 4:2). Let us see here the high value that God places upon His people. Being . . .
   chosen by the Father,
   redeemed by the Son, and
   regenerated by the Holy Spirit
--they are His precious gold!

As His gold, they get tarnished by the world and sin, and they must be subjected to the refining process. The beauty of His grace must be seen in them. Hence Jehovah seeks their spiritual improvement: "I will turn My hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities!" Isaiah 1:25

The design of God in choosing us to suffer in the furnace of affliction, is for our everlasting good, and for His glory. Regenerating grace implants in us the seeds of immortality, which require cultivation in order to bring about maturity. The furnace is designed to develop these principles, and to fit us for higher enjoyment. Afflictions . . .
  scour off our rust,
  preserve us from sin,
  assimilate us to Christ, who was a man of sorrows,
  make us very humble, and break our haughty mind,
  show us the frailty of human life, and the vanity of the world!

The people of God have the same need of affliction . . .
  that our bodies have of medicine,
  that fruit trees have of pruning,
  that gold and silver have of the furnace,
  that iron has of the file, and
  that the child has of the rod of correction!

God's chastisements are blessings in disguise--they are veiled mercies!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: May 19, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »

The mother and daughter die on one bed, and are buried in one grave!

(William Nicholson, "The Presence of God in Affliction" 1862)

"My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him. For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives." Hebrews 12:5-6

All believers need afflictions. It must be so, for the God of infinite love and wisdom appoints them, and His judgment can never err.

Saints are the children of God, but they need correction and discipline, etc.

The precious seed requires the use of the winnowing fan to blow away the chaff. So do saints.

The gold requires the furnace to purge away the dross. Saints are the gold which belongs to the King of the Church, and He places His gold in the furnace of affliction to purge away the dross of sin.

The patient requires medicine to restore to health--and God chastens His people to restore them to spiritual health.

Afflictions are needful to wean us from earth--and to induce us to aspire after Heaven!

"Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:10-11

Yet afflictions are transient, and will soon end. The end of our mortal life--will be the end of all our sorrows. The night of affliction may appear long--but a morning of joy will follow it, which will be as long as eternity! It is a short night of sorrow--before a day of endless rejoicing.

At death sin dies, and sorrow expires!

Sin is the mother--and sorrow is the daughter. The mother and daughter die on one bed, and are buried in one grave!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: May 19, 2014, 06:46:40 PM »

As a mother comforts her child!

(William Nicholson, "Divine Comfort!" 1862)

"As a mother comforts her child--so will I comfort you; and you shall be comforted." Isaiah 66:13

The condescending love of God to sinners is most astonishing. Though He is the High and Lofty One--yet He knows, pities, and cares for worms of the earth--sinful, frail, dying men. Human language is insufficient to express the heights and depths of Divine compassion.

God is called, "The Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. Also, "God, who comforts the downcast" 2 Corinthians 7:6

God's divine comfort is most endearing and effective. "As a mother comforts her child--so will I comfort you." This is a beautiful and striking comparison. No other relationship can so expressively represent the parental kindness of God, as an affectionate mother caring for her beloved child.

1. God will comfort His people with all the affection and solicitude of a mother. See the mother--how she loves, strives, labors, suffers, and sacrifices for her child.

A mother watches over and defends her child. So does our heavenly Father. He is a wall of fire, a refuge, a strong tower, a shield, a rock of strength, a fortress, a very present help in times of trouble, etc., etc.

A mother is solicitous to care and provide for her child. "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus!" "Casting all your care on Him, because He cares about you!"

2. God will comfort His people with all the patience and forbearance of a mother. "For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust!" Psalm 103:14. "The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness!" Psalm 103:8

3. God will comfort His people with all the forgiveness and consolation of a mother. How ready is she to forgive her erring, wandering child--and how ready to console in trouble! "The LORD has comforted His people and will have compassion on His afflicted." Isaiah 49:13

4. God will comfort His people with all the instruction and correction of a mother. A good and wise mother will both instruct and correct. Just so, "the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives." Hebrews 12:6

5. God will comfort His people with all the constancy of a mother. When does the love of a mother end? "Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget--yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands!" Isaiah 49:15-16. "Having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end!" John 13:1

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: May 19, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »

The cause of all the formality, apathy, and lukewarmness in the church!

(William Nicholson, "The Power of the Gospel" 1862)

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith!" 2 Timothy 4:7

It was his experimental acquaintance with the sublime doctrines of the Gospel, that made Paul such an ardent Christian.

The cause of all the formality, apathy, and lukewarmness in the church, is the lack of a comprehensive knowledge of the doctrines of the cross, and of heartfelt experience of their vital and saving power!

"Our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction!" 1 Thessalonians 1:5

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: May 21, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »

There are sublime and magnificent scenes of unparalleled grandeur before us!

(Albert Barnes)

"For the Lord Himself will come down from Heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God--and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever!" 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

There are sublime and magnificent scenes of unparalleled grandeur before us! Great events are brought together here, any one of which is more grand than all the pomp of this world:
  the glory of the descending Judge of all mankind;
  the attending retinue of angels;
  the loud shout of the descending host;
  the blast of the archangel's trumpet;
  the bursting open of graves;
  the coming forth of the millions there entombed;
  the rapid, sudden, glorious change on the millions of living men;
  the consternation of the wicked;
  the ascent of the innumerable host through the air;
  and the solemn process of the judgment there!

Has anything ever occurred so magnificent as these events?

How strange it is that the thoughts of men are turned away from these bright and glorious realities--to the trifles, the vain show, the shadow, the glitter, the empty pageantry of this poor world!

"Therefore encourage each other with these words!" 1 Thessalonians 4:18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: May 22, 2014, 03:57:26 PM »

God, the Portion of His People!

(William Nicholson, "God the Portion of His People!" 1862)

"The Lord is the portion of my inheritance!" Psalm 16:5

This passage describes the wealth and happiness of believers; and in that respect, their infinitely superior state to that of the wicked.

God has given Himself to be their Portion forever. God, as the portion of His people, promotes their honor and interest, for He makes them kings, heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ! They are His special people, His treasure, His jewels, etc.

Through God's grace, every Christian is rich--inconceivably rich--eternally rich--really rich!

With God as his portion, the believer is supplied and upheld by His providence and grace, and raised above the fear of need. "The LORD is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want." Psalm 23:1

Behold the believer's portion:
Divine Life to quicken him.
Supernatural Light to illuminate him.
Infallible Wisdom to counsel him.
All Power to aid and defend him.
Spiritual joy to cheer and encourage him.
Heavenly bread to feed and sustain him.
Glorious robes of righteousness to clothe him.
Excellent graces and virtues to adorn him.
God Himself to guard and protect him!

A saint lives upon God, in whom all fullness dwells! God gives . . .
 pardon to the guilty,
 liberty to the captive,
 life to the condemned,
 health to the sick,
 light to the blind,
 food to the hungry,
 the robe of righteousness to the naked soul,
 rest to the weary,
 strength to the weak,
 and riches to the poor.

How superior is the saint's spiritual portion to all the portions of the world, which are corruptible and unsatisfying! God is an immortal, immense, infinite portion--and therefore satisfying. Who can compute the value of this portion?

Earthly portions have much evil frequently mixed with them; they are a bitter-sweet--they have many snares. But God is a pure unmixed portion--there is nothing in Him but goodness!

Earthly portions are common to men, to the vilest of men, etc. But God is a special portion; He gives Himself only to His own redeemed people. They alone can say, "For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end!" Psalm 48:14

Other portions are but for a time--they pass away, or are lost. Riches make themselves wings, and fly away. But God is a never-failing portion; not only a portion now, but a portion hereafter . . .
  our present and yet a future portion,
  our portion while we live,
  our portion when we die
  our portion to all eternity!

"Whom have I in Heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!" Psalm 73:25-26

"You are my portion, O LORD!" Psalm 119:57

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: May 25, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »

What does it mean to follow Christ?

(William Nicholson, "Called to Be a Disciple" 1862)

"Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. 'Follow Me,' Jesus said to him. And Levi got up, left everything and followed Him!" Luke 5:27-28

The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation!
No sinner is too vile,
no sins are too numerous,
no guilt is too black--
for its powerful efficacy!
This is proved by the conduct of Christ, in offering His mercy to such sinful characters; and by the death of Christ, which was for the chief of sinners. How rich His grace! How impartial His love!

The context contains an account of the grace and favor of Christ, to a sinful and despised tax collector.

Matthew followed Christ, that is, he became His disciple. To follow Christ implies:

(1.) A knowledge of Christ and His truth. The design of preaching is to give the knowledge of Christ. No man can really follow the Redeemer, without some understanding of Him. This is the result of the Spirit's enlightening operations.

(2.) It implies dissatisfaction with a life of sin, and a conviction of the superior excellence of a holy life. This also is the result of the Spirit's enlightening operations.

(3.) It implies decision for Christ. The resolve of the heart to love Him and follow Him, "Lord, I am yours!"

(4.) It implies renunciation of everything that stands in competition with Christ. Matthew surrendered a lucrative employment, a good business, etc., etc. He "got up, left everything, and followed Him!" Just so, the sinner must surrender . . .
  his darling sins,
  his impure pleasures,
  his self-interest,
  the world,
  the creature, however dear, if it is a competitor with Christ.
"Then He called the crowd to Him along with His disciples and said: If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me and for the gospel will save it!" Mark 8:34-35

(5.) It implies dependence upon Christ's Sacrifice for acceptance with God--and for all needful blessings.

(6.) It implies prompt obedience to all Christ's commandments. "'Follow Me,' Jesus said to him. And Levi got up, left everything and followed Him!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: May 25, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »

My New Testament Joseph

"The chief butler, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him." Genesis 40:23

1. Was it simply that the butler was absorbed in the affections of home, and the duties of business? Through his imprisonment, he had been bereft of the touch of a wife's hand and the kiss of a child on lip and cheek. His occupation was in danger of going to another, and his prosperity of being lost. It was scarcely surprising that the treasures so nearly forfeited, should engross him, when once they were restored.

But home is at its best, when I am full of the recollection of my New Testament Joseph; and the wheels of business never run so pleasantly as then. I gain by thinking first of Him.

2. Was it that at Pharaoh's court, the butler was afraid to speak of his obligation to a Hebrew slave? Doubtless the stranger had conferred a measureless blessing on him; but, among the lords and ladies of Egypt, it required great courage to tell out frankly his indebtedness to an alien and a prisoner.

Just so, Christ in many circles is almost a forbidden theme. He is not fashionable in the mirthful world. There are masters of culture and leaders of society who pass Him contemptuously by. In such surroundings, am I brave enough to be His enthusiast, His witness, His champion?

3. Was it that the butler felt a kind of awe and dread when he recalled Joseph? As congenial and brotherly as the young captive was--there was a curious separateness about him, a noble scorn of much that the butler might have condoned and approved, an impressiveness of character to which he could lay little claim. It may have been a relief to banish Joseph from thought.

Just so, Jesus is holy Himself, and He demands holiness in me. I am glad of His blessings--but I may dislike His commands. And yet, the better I know them, the more resolved I shall be to bind them on my life.

4. Was it merely that the butler was unthinking and heedless? But he had not been so a little before--when the fetters lay on him and the dungeon walls shut him in. It does not commend him that he could become oblivious of his friend, immediately after that friend had lifted him into the king's palace.

Just so, how greatly I am to be blamed, if I fail to keep fresh and green, the memory of the mighty things which Christ has done for me! Mine was the worst and most shameful thraldom--and His the most astonishing emancipation. To forget the Redeemer, when He has rescued me from deserved Hell, and blessed me with undeserved Heaven--there never was ingratitude so base!

"Be thankful!" Hebrews 12:28. It is a command which nothing must induce me to disregard, and which I must hold in constant reverence. I cannot sound the praises of my Deliverer too loudly. I cannot yield myself too absolutely to Him who sacrificed Himself for me!

Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the