Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:41:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286817 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Prayer, Praise and Promises
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer, Praise and Promises  (Read 93907 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2006, 06:46:25 AM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Source: Prayer, Praise and Promises
Scripture Reference Psalm 59:1-17

Who's Watching You?

Read Psalm 59:1-17

Have you ever been in a public place and noticed that someone was watching you? I've been in restaurants when my wife has said, "Those people at that table keep watching us. I wonder if we know them." It usually turns out that we don't know them, and they don't know us, but maybe we look like someone they know.

In this psalm David records his experience when Saul's men were watching his house. They wanted to arrest and kill him. But David was rejoicing in the Lord. He was singing in a time of danger. And he was crying out to the Lord for mercy.

What God is to you determines what He does for you. "I will sing of Your power" (v. 16). David knew that God is a God of power. Saul could not overthrow Him. "I will sing aloud of Your mercy" (v. 16). That's what David needed more than anything else. We need to pray all day long that the mercy of God will sustain us. David discovered mercy in the morning (v. 16). Start your day by singing to the Lord and drawing upon His mercy.

"To You, O my Strength, . . . God is my defense" (v. 17). Those are words of security and dependability. When God is your Power, when God gives you mercy, when God is your Strength and Defense, then you can face any enemy. You can face any circumstance, because God is going to see you through.

God responds according to your faith and surrounds you with His mercy. Is yours the kind of faith that can sing to Him in times of danger? The next time you face threatening circumstances, trust the Lord. He will protect you and deliver you from your enemies.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2006, 06:47:41 AM »

Scripture Reference Isaiah 40:31 Acts 9 1 Samuel 19 Psalm 59:1-17

Defense and Deliverance

Read Psalm 59:1-17

Have you ever had to escape danger by going out a window? Paul escaped from Damascus that way (Acts 9), and David through a window as well (I Sam. 19). One day David went home and discovered that he was being spied on. His wife let him down through a window, and he escaped from his enemies. As we read this psalm, we notice four assurances that kept David going.

First, David knows that God sees, so he prays (vv. 1-5). David needed to be defended and delivered. His enemies were lying about him. Suffering is hard to take when you haven't sinned. But God is on the throne and is watching us. He knows our difficulties. The next time you're in trouble, remember that God sees you. Pray to Him--He's listening.

Second, David is sure that God hears, so he waits (vv. 6-9). While we wait, God accomplishes many things, and we regain our strength (v. 9; Isa. 40:31).

Third, David is sure that God rules, so he trusts (vv. 10-13). God meets David with mercy and the enemy with judgment. David prays that God will scatter his enemies, stop them and consume them.

Fourth, David is sure that God delivers, so he sings (vv. 14-17). We cannot always stop people's actions. David's wife warned him that he had to leave or he would be dead by morning (I Sam. 19:11), yet he was able to sing about God's mercy in the morning (v. 16). Always thank God after He answers prayer.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2006, 06:49:00 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 60:1-12

After the Victory

Read Psalm 60:1-12

"Through God we will do valiantly, for it is He who shall tread down our enemies" (v. 12). Psalm 60 is unusual because David didn't write it in the midst of trouble. So many of his psalms were written from a cave or a battlefield. But this psalm was written after a great victory. The army had achieved a tremendous victory in Edom for the people of God.

What do we learn from this psalm? First, we must be cautious after a victory. "O God, You have cast us off; You have broken us down; You have been displeased; oh, restore us again!" (v. 1). David was crying out to God and saying, "O God, we have just won a great victory. But there are battles yet to fight." Some of God's great people had their biggest defeats after their victories. Elijah won a great victory on Mount Carmel, and then he became discouraged and suffered a great defeat. We must be careful to win the victory after we have won the battle.

Second, we are always carrying God's banner. Even after the victory has ended, we are still His ambassadors. "You have given a banner to those who fear You, that it may be displayed because of the truth" (v. 4). We carry a banner of truth because we are standing for the Word of God. After we've won the victory, let's not put down the banner. Let's continue to carry it to the glory of God.

Third, we must give God the glory. David gave Him all of the glory for what He had done. It's so easy to claim the victory for yourself. It's so easy after the victory to say, "This is what I have done." Pride moves in, and that can lead to defeat.

One of your most vulnerable times comes after God has given you a victory, for you may let down your guard. And the Devil stands poised to attack again. How do you seal the victory? Always carry the banner of God and be sure to give Him the glory. The next time God gives you a victory, stay grounded in the truth of His Word and avoid entertaining any prideful thoughts. God deserves all the glory.

Copyright© 1992, used with permission, all rights reserved.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2006, 06:44:36 PM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 15:58 Romans 8:35 Exodus 17:15 Psalm 118:8 Psalm 60:1-12

Fighting Battles

Read Psalm 60:1-12

About the time one problem is solved, another one begins. That's the situation David found himself in when he wrote this psalm. He was leading one battle and praying about another. In your own battles, seek to imitate David's four responses in this psalm.

First, he surveys the situation (vv. 1-3). David always looked at situations through the eyes of a poet. He pictures this predicament as a sudden flood, an earthquake and staggering, drunken people. David thinks God will prevent the Moabites from invading the land, but He allows them to come in. David then asks the Lord to forgive and restore the people and stop the flood. The Jews think the mountains and the earth are sure and steadfast, but David feels everything trembling and breaking open. He sees the people staggering as though drunk. The cup of wrath, of judgment, has come. David looks at the situation and says, "Can things get any worse?"

Second, he lifts the banner of God's truth (vv. 4,5). David fought these wars because he was God's king and the Israelites were God's people. We need to realize that even though there are problems, struggles and battles in life, God still loves us (Rom 8:35). His love cannot change and will not fail, no matter how we feel. David lifts the banner of God's truth. That is one of God's names: "The-Lord-Is-My-Banner" (Ex. 17:15). David was capable, but he was depending on God's right hand. The Lord rallies His troops around His banner.

Third, he listens to the Commander (vv. 6-8). David knew he was second in command, for God was the Leader of the armies of Israel. God says, "Wherever you go in Israel, it all belongs to me; I own the land. So stop worrying." When David heard the Commander talk like that, he knew he didn't have to be afraid. He rested in the victory of the Lord (I Cor. 15:58).

Finally, he launches out by faith (vv. 9-12). David says, "I don't have any confidence in myself. God has to lead me to victory." Almighty God always goes before us. He gives us help and the victory (Ps. 118:8).

On whose strength you draw, the Lord's or your own, will determine victory or defeat. If you let Him lead, He will take you to victory.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2006, 06:45:51 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 61:1-8

Feel Like Giving Up?

Read Psalm 61:1-8

When his son Absalom rebelled against him, David had to flee from Jerusalem to save his life. Out of that experience he wrote this psalm. "Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy" (vv. 1-3).

David was asking for God's help and strength. He may have been in a cave when he wrote these words or hiding in a shelter in the wilderness. We don't know. But his true Rock was God. His true Shelter and his true Strong Tower was God. It's good to know that when we are away from the safety of home and city, we still have the safety of the Lord.

David was abiding. "I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings" (v. 4). This means the Holy of Holies, where the wings of the cherubim overshadowed the Ark of the Covenant. We might ask, "How can you abide in the tabernacle, David, when you're out there in the wilderness? You're running away." He would say, "My God is always with me. As long as I abide in Him, I am abiding in His tabernacle." David realized he didn't need city walls for protection. God was his Rock. He didn't need the tabernacle for his worship. God was his Tabernacle.

David was rejoicing. "So I will sing praise to Your name forever, that I may daily perform my vows" (v.8). When you bring your requests to the Lord and rely on Him, you discover you can rejoice in Him. "For You, O God, have heard my vows.... You will prolong the king's life" (v. 5). God answered David's prayer.

What is God to you? Is He your Rock, your Shelter, your Strong Tower, your Tabernacle? Are you trusting Him to meet your specific needs today?

God never intended that His people "throw in the towel." Remember these truths. He is always listening to your cry. He is always with you and will never forsake you, whatever your circumstances. You can always rejoice in God's protection. Apply the truths of this psalm to your situation today.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2006, 04:30:43 AM »

Scripture Reference Ephesians 1:3 Psalm 61:1-8

The Accomplishments of Prayer

Read Psalm 61:1-8

Whenever David found himself in a tight spot, he instinctively turned to God in prayer. Prayer is the natural breath of the believer. It enables you to accomplish what you cannot accomplish by yourself.

First, prayer enables you to reach farther (v. 2). David was homesick. Although he was away from Jerusalem, he was not away from God. No matter where you are, you can reach out through prayer and touch the lives of family, friends and missionaries.

Second, prayer enables you to go higher (v.2). David was overwhelmed and wrapped in gloom. When he prayed, God lifted him up and put him on a high rock, in a tower that He built for him (v. 3). Prayer puts you on the mountaintop and enables you to get a clear perspective of your situation.

Third, prayer enables you to come closer (v.4). "The shelter of your wings" is not referring to a mother hen gathering her chicks before a storm breaks; it is talking about getting under the wings of the cherubim in the Holy of Holies. Through Jesus you can enter into the presence of God and dwell under His wings.

Fourth, prayer enables you to grow richer (v.5). In prayer you draw upon the heritage you have in Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:3).

Fifth, prayer enables you to live fuller (vv.6,7). It's not the length of life that counts but the depth. Prayer puts depth into your life. I pity people who depend upon worldly entertainment instead of the fullness of life in Christ.

Finally, prayer enables you to be happier (v.8). Prayer and praise always go together. David starts out crying and ends up praising. He starts out praying and ends up rejoicing. Spend time with the Lord in prayer. It will change your life.

Evaluate your praying. Is it accomplishing in your life what it accomplished in David's? If not, spend more time in prayer and determine to experience its accomplishment in your life. Copyright© 1992, used with permission, all rights reserved.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2006, 04:31:48 AM »

Scripture Reference Romans 2:6 Psalm 62:1-12

Triple Assurance

Read Psalm 62:1-12

Verses 2, 5 and 12 contain three assurances that help us wait: God is our Salvation. God is our Expectation. God is our Vindication. Let's look closer at these three assurances.

God is our Salvation. David refers to salvation not from sin but from danger. "He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved" (v. 2). David's enemies were pursuing him as usual. Saul was trying to kill him as usual. And yet David says, "I'm going to wait on the Lord. I'm not going to run around and lose control of myself. I'm going to wait on the Lord because from Him comes my salvation." That's true today also. We live in a dangerous world. We never know what may be just around the corner, but we have the assurance that God is our Rock and our Defense.

God is our Expectation. Where do you look for your expectation? To yourself, your wallet, your bankbook, your friends? Where do you look when the future seems bleak and dark? David looked to God. "My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him" (v. 5).

God is our Vindication. It relieves us of a great deal of pressure and burden to know that we are not judges but witnesses. We are not here to vindicate ourselves. Our vindication comes from God, "who will render to each one according to his deeds" (Rom. 2:6). Today, as you face difficulties with people or things or circumstances, wait on the Lord. From Him come your salvation, your expectation and your vindication.

In troubled times, how often do you first look to yourself or others for answers before looking to God? If you look to God and wait for Him, He will see you through. Put God first and wait for Him to act on your behalf.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2006, 04:32:59 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 63:1-11

Are You Thirsty?

Read Psalm 63:1-11

King David wrote this psalm when he was in the wilderness of Judah. I never really appreciated what he wrote until my wife and I visited the same spot. What a dry and barren place it is! Look at what David wrote, "O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water" (v. 1). In other words, David says, "Here I am in this dry, hot, dangerous wilderness, and I really would love to have some water. However, what I really want is God."

When you find yourself in a dry wilderness situation in life, what do you do? Follow the stages in David's experience. First, he seeks God. He wanted to see God's power and glory as he had seen it in the sanctuary. He wanted to see that wilderness turned into a sanctuary. David had been in the tabernacle. He had seen the glory of God, but he wasn't satisfied with that. We are satisfied to hear about God and sing about Him in church. Then we come to the wilderness. We should be like David and say, "I want to see God's glory through this wilderness experience just as though I were worshiping God in the church service."

Next, he blesses God. "Thus I will bless You while I live" (v. 4). David also is satisfied with God. Satisfaction doesn't come from circumstances on the outside. It comes from blessing on the inside. "When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches" (v. 6). Finally, he rejoices in God. "But the king shall rejoice in God"(v. 11). That's what God wants from us, even in the wilderness.

Wilderness experiences are good for you, for they teach you an important truth: You draw satisfaction from blessing on the inside, not from circumstances on the outside. When you face a wilderness experience, follow David's response. God will meet your needs.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2006, 04:34:04 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 64:1-10

Free From Fear

Read Psalm 64:1-10

Most of us live relatively safe and secure lives, but David was in exile. He was being hounded by King Saul, who wanted to kill him. Here David prays for protection, and he closes the psalm by saying, "The righteous shall be glad in the Lord, and trust in Him. And all the upright in heart shall glory" (v. 10). We find three key concepts in this verse that encourage us: joy, faith and glory.

Are you glad in the Lord today? So many times we are not glad because of circumstances. David prayed, "Hear my voice, O God, in my meditation; preserve my life from fear of the enemy" (v. 1). I would have said, "Preserve my life from the enemy." But David said, "Preserve me from fear of the enemy." In other words, instead of fear he had faith. Instead of fear he had joy. Instead of fear he wanted to bring glory to God.

Most of our problems are not on the outside but on the inside. When the disciples were in the boat in the middle of the Sea of Galilee on a stormy night, Jesus came to them and rebuked them for their unbelief. Their problem wasn't the storm on the outside--it was the storm on the inside. Likewise, your problem today may not be the circumstances around you or the people against you. It may be the fear that's inside you.

"All men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God" (v. 9). David sang praises to the Lord. He was glad in the Lord. He trusted in and gave glory to Him. "All the upright in heart shall glory" (v. 10). It's easy to read this verse but much more difficult to practice it. Take your eyes off the circumstances and put them on the Lord. Trust in His promises, not your own power. And most of all, seek to bring Him all the glory.

Fear can rob you of your joy and trust in God. Don't allow fear or circumstances to take your eyes off the Lord. Let the truth of the Word of God control your mind and heart.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2006, 04:35:13 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 65:1-13

The Three P's

Read Psalm 65:1-13

"Praise is awaiting You, O God, in Zion; and to You the vow shall be performed" (v. 1). David was a great soldier. But he also was a great singer and a great saint. In spite of difficulties and problems and even dangers, he was able to praise the Lord.

He continues, "O You who hear prayer, to You all flesh will come" (v. 2). Some people only pray. They don't really praise. And yet praise and prayer belong together. Prayer means coming to God and telling Him your needs. David says, "All flesh will come." Anyone who knows the Lord can pray anywhere in the world anytime. All the world can come to God, and all the world can pray.

The more we pray, the more answers we have to praise the Lord for. But sometimes we can't pray because sin is in the way. This is why David says, "Iniquities prevail against me; as for our transgressions, You will provide atonement for them" (v. 3). The more we praise the Lord, the more we see how needy and dirty we are. And so we come for purging, confessing our sin to God.

"Blessed is the man whom You choose, and cause to approach You, that he may dwell in Your courts. We shall be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, of Your holy temple" (v. 4). That's the experience God wants us to have--to approach Him, to dwell with Him, to be satisfied with Him. How do we do this? By prayer, praise and purging of sins. Then we will draw near to Him as He draws near to us.

Do you have a close relationship with God? You can draw nearer to Him. Confess any sins you may be harboring. Then praise Him and come to Him in prayer.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2006, 04:36:39 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 66:1-7

An Invitation

Read Psalm 66:1-7

Psalm 66 contains several invitations that are tied to the word come: "come and sing"; "come and see"; and "come and hear." Let's look at the first two invitations.

The first invitation is come and sing, or praise the Lord. "Sing out the honor of His name; make His praise glorious" (v. 2). Sometimes we act as if praise is tedious. Sometimes we praise Him in a tired fashion. But the psalmist asks for glorious praise. Why? "Through the greatness of Your power Your enemies shall submit themselves to You. All the earth shall worship You and sing praises to You" (vv. 3,4). This is missionary zeal. We aren't to praise the Lord by ourselves. We come and sing, and we invite the whole world to join us.

The second invitation is come and see the works of God. Today people call the works of God natural law or scientific law. We try to explain everything, but we can't. Come and see the works of God--what happens in the heavens, what happens in your body and what happened in history. This is the work of God. I like verse 7: "He rules by His power forever." Satan is not ruling this world system--God is. He is allowing Satan to do some things, but He's going to use even that to glorify Himself. God is ruling by His power, and He will rule forever.

If you want to enjoy today, come and sing. If you've lost your song, come and see the works of the Lord. You'll be singing before long.

Have you lost your song of praise? Come and see the works of God; it will restore your song. His works reveal His greatness and His love. If you are walking with the Lord, praise Him and tell others what He is doing in your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2006, 04:37:52 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 66:8-20

Why The Trials?

Read Psalm 66:8-20

This psalm is for the discouraged. "Oh, bless our God, you peoples! And make the voice of His praise to be heard" (v. 8). Why? "Who keeps our soul among the living, and does not allow our feet to be moved" (v. 9). God holds our life in His hand. "In Him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28). So let's praise Him.

"For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined" (v. 10). The reason God tries us and tests us is to prove us. He's proving nothing to Himself. He knows us from top to bottom. Instead, He's proving something to us. God considers us as valuable as silver, and He puts us into situations that test and strengthen us.

Notice the images in these next two verses. "You brought us into the net; You laid affliction on our backs. You have caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; but You brought us out to rich fulfillment" (vv. 11,12, italics mine). This indicates total defeat. We go through fire and water, but we are brought out into a wealthy place. That word wealthy means "an abundant place, a moist place, a place of running water and fruitfulness." The wilderness of Judea, where David so often found himself, was dry and barren.

The psalmist does not say, "Well, here I am in trouble again." No, he says, "God brought me in, and God's going to bring me through. And when He brings me out, I'm going to be in a wealthy place." God always enriches us when we go through difficulty. He proves us and tries us to make us more like Jesus.

The trials of God have a refining and strengthening effect. The result is they make us more like Jesus. Are you discouraged today by trials? Be encouraged that God will see you through and that He will use your trials to build you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2006, 04:39:10 AM »

Scripture Reference Numbers 6:24-25 Psalm 67:1-7

Will You Share?

Read Psalm 67:1-7

The author of this psalm is unknown, but it was someone who had a vision of the whole world. God had blessed him, and he wanted to share that blessing with everyone. He writes, "God be merciful to us and bless us, and cause His face to shine upon us" (v. 1). That sounds like a priestly benediction, doesn't it? "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you" (Num. 6:24,25).

Three times in verse 1 the psalmist uses the word us. He refers to the Jewish people, but he doesn't stop there. "That Your way may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations" (v. 2). So many Old Testament Jews wanted to keep what they had for themselves. They did not want to share it. How unlike God's plan! After all, why did He call Abraham? That he might be a blessing to the whole world. Why did Jesus die? That the Gospel message might go out to the whole world.

Why has the Lord blessed us? That we might share the Gospel with others. We have no problem praying verse 1: "Oh, be merciful to us and bless us and make Your face shine upon us." But what about verse 2? Do we want to be blessed so that we might be a blessing? That's the reason God blesses us in the first place. Likewise, He answers our prayers so that we might become an answer to someone else's prayer.

"The result of making God's salvation known among all the nations is praise. "Let the peoples praise You, O God; let all the peoples praise You" (v. 3). This doesn't mean just the Israelites. Even the Gentiles are included. "Oh, let the nations be glad and sing for joy!" (v. 4). "Let all the peoples praise You" (v. 5).

Notice how the psalm ends: "Then the earth shall yield her increase; God, our own God, shall bless us. God shall bless us, and all the ends of the earth shall fear Him" (vv. 6,7). The sequence in this psalm is significant. The psalmist begins by saying, "Lord, bless me so that I may bless others." He does become a blessing to others, so God blesses him again. What a marvelous experience of God's grace.

Are you part of God's sequence of blessing? If you will share, He will bless you so that you may be a blessing. Experience the fullness of His grace by telling others about Him.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2006, 01:26:07 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 68:1-6

Like Smoke and Wax

Read Psalm 68:1-6

Someone has said that a person is known not only by the friends he keeps but also by the enemies he makes. The Lord Jesus had enemies. David had enemies. Anyone who stands up for what is right will have enemies. But notice what these enemies are like--"as smoke is driven away" (v. 2). Who's afraid of smoke? It can smother us, but if we keep fresh air coming in--the fresh wind of the Holy Spirit--it can't bother us. David also compares his enemies to melting wax (v. 2). A burning candle is a picture of what will happen to God's enemies. The smoke is quickly blown away, and the wax quietly melts. God gets the victory.

"So let the wicked perish at the presence of God. But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God" (vv. 2,3). Why? Because of what God does for us. "Sing to God, sing praises to His name; extol Him who rides on the clouds" (v. 4). I like that picture. God is the Great Conqueror, riding upon the heavens.

He also is "a father of the fatherless" (v. 5). He comes right where we are to comfort and heal our broken hearts. Furthermore, God is Judge and Redeemer. He frees those who are bound with chains.

Are you feeling oppressed by your enemies? Leave the burden with your Father, and let Him be your Conqueror.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2006, 11:13:43 AM »

Scripture Reference Ephesians 4:8 Psalm 68:7-18

Sharing the Wealth

Read Psalm 68:7-18

Here David describes the victories of God. "You have ascended on high, You have led captivity captive; You have received gifts among men" (v. 18). This is a picture of our Lord's ascension. We find this verse quoted in the New Testament, referring to Jesus Christ (Eph. 4:8).

Look at what Jesus has performed for us. First, He went before us. "O God, when You went out before Your people" (v. 7). Wherever you are today, if you're in the will of God, He has already gone before you. The picture here is of the nation of Israel going through the wilderness. God didn't expect the Israelites to figure out the logistics for themselves. By night He led them by a pillar of fire and by day by a cloud. The Ark of the Covenant--the presence of the Lord--went before them. He also went before us and bore our sins on the cross.

Second, He has gone above us. "You have ascended on high" (v. 18). The Lord Jesus has ascended to glory, and He is seated there at the right hand of the Father in majesty. He who went before us to win the victory has now gone above us to share the victory.

Now He dwells among us. Notice the end of verse 18: "That the Lord God might dwell there." And what is He doing? He is giving gifts to His people. It's a picture of the Conqueror distributing the spoil. How wealthy we are! How much we have to thank Him for. Will you trust the Victor today?

Because of Christ's death and Resurrection, you are wealthy. God freely shares with you the spoils of His victory at the cross. You need never be defeated in this life.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the