Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 12:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286819 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I don't think I'll bother.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I don't think I'll bother.  (Read 1792 times)
VNB

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2003, 02:39:21 AM »

I thought this was supposed to be a Christian discussion forum when I joined not more than a few short hours ago.

Instead of seeing Christian love and tolerance all I seem to see is nasty, vicious attacks, biggotry and slander, poor debating skills and a general unwillingness to discuss Christianity without resorting, without comment, to endless and often apparently irrelevant quotations from the good book.

ChristainsUnite seems a bit of a misnomer to me. The non-christians on this forum seem to be far more united than the Christians and, sadly, seem to be running rings around them.

Have I got it wrong or should I just bow out gracefully now?
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 03:08:51 AM »

In a way, you don't have it wrong. What you have seen with your own eyes is, sadly, true.
But there is also some very Godly people here who do care, and who try to share with one another without the name calling, etc.
I would suggest giving it a few days, and checking other posts to see the good side of this forum.

Your brother in Christ.  Roy.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 05:01:35 AM »

I thought this was supposed to be a Christian discussion forum when I joined not more than a few short hours ago.

Instead of seeing Christian love and tolerance all I seem to see is nasty, vicious attacks, biggotry and slander, poor debating skills and a general unwillingness to discuss Christianity without resorting, without comment, to endless and often apparently irrelevant quotations from the good book.

ChristainsUnite seems a bit of a misnomer to me. The non-christians on this forum seem to be far more united than the Christians and, sadly, seem to be running rings around them.

Cry Cry Cry

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Reba
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 10:27:42 AM »

Peter and Paul had differences  so not all the company here is bad.  Wink  hang around get to know us. In one corner we may battle on the next page you can find the same folks saying  AMEN!  Gods garden has many different flowers I am thankfull we are not all the same  Wink

Welcome to the forums!
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 06:16:22 PM »

You "joined not more than a few short hours ago" so please do not pretend like you know the board. Reda is right, for 90% of the people here, what goes on in the thread, stays in that thread. I think THAT is a sign of a Christian, the ability to disagree on one topic, and still chat as friends with another. Stay around for a while before you choose to chastise us.

On another note, you made a comment about “poor debating skills” I can see how the others you listed may, if true, be actions unbefitting a Christian. But poor debating skills? I think everyone where is at least somewhat descent amounts of “debating” skills, but that is beside the point. How do you consider poor debating skills to be unchristian?

You letter means well, but you need to get to know the people and the personality before you presume these things. Then, if you still feel that way, post your heart out about it.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
sunodino

People get ready, there's a train a comin' !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 06:45:54 PM »

It is somewhat a culture shock when you start a dialog on controversial issues with people you don't hang out with in your norm denomination.  At first it is, well annoying to read some of the stuff posted, but then you get to know the personalities in a way, and maybe back off a bit.  IT'S A GREAT FORUM.   I am somewhat new myself, and I agree with Reba and Tibby, both with whom I have had disagreements!  

DON'T QUIT!  Sometimes we all need a little slap on the wrist. Give it more time.

Sunodino travails...
For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? Romans 11:15
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 06:52:15 PM »

Stay and give us some thoughts on God and His Christ.

A lesson that is very hard learned is that many who profess to be of God are not necessarily so. Then again some who profess no God act more Godly than those that profess God.
Then there are agitators and some very ugly evil people. Being Christians and also humans still in the flesh many can sometimes lose their cool and slam bang into them with retort. The agitators and tempters hope they will succeed at this because it gives them delight. One must discern.

Hope you stay. Would like to know what you have to say. If it is agitation, I pray I stay chilled.  Wink

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2003, 08:42:59 AM »

I don't think a Christian forum is one in which everyone is always nice, loving, and generous. I don't know one single human being who is nice, loving, generous, and loving all the time. I think people misunderstand Christianity. The apostle Paul acknowledged that it took him a lifetime to become that way most of the time and no one had greater faith than he did. Most people expect Christians to be perfect which is, of course, impossible.

This is a forum where we explore beliefs and where human nature is involved, there are going to be misunderstanding and hurt feelings. The atheists really didn't lay their beliefs out for attack as much as they asked us to. It's easy to be united when all one says it, "i don't believe in God. Prove that He eixists." Then when we try, they say "that's not proof." You better believe if they had the courage to state their beliefs, those beliefs would have under the same scrutiny that ours have been. Jesus said, "If the world hates you for my sake, then remember it hated me first." How then is standing up for Christianity going to bring on loving responses, even from Christians? Jesus convicts all of us, Christians included. That is why there is so much defensiveness and fear. But  we can and do forgive each other which is Christ's message.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2003, 11:17:55 AM »

It is very encouraging to me to see the replies that have been given here - these people understand what it is to be a Christian in a non-Christian world, and are not afraid to be "soldiers of Christ" instead of the "I'm okay/You're okay, Let's Just Get Along" philosophy that many believers accept. (Not that we can't ever get along - but there's a limit!) I agree that we are all still human, and will be human for a while, and even if we don't allow our "fleshly side" to get the better of us we still act and speak (and think and argue etc.) as the human beings that we are.

We are not teletubbies.  Grin

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 09:27:49 PM »

Well, I certainly understand your feeling, that you expected one thing and got an eyeful of another. But most of the people here are familiar enough with each other that we know which people are likely to give us a pie in the face and which will give us some encouragement. Everyone is where they are in life; it's kind of like a family. If you always get along, you probably aren't getting to know each other very well. But I don't think anyone here is truly, deeply offended.

Not only that, but a forum is half what you get out of it, half what you bring to it.  Wink

Grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 09:28:46 PM by Whitehorse » Logged

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 11:56:21 PM »

If all Christians always agreed why are there so many denominations?
At least two things happen with discussion.
1. You learn
2. You find out how solid you beliefs are.
Debate skills! We don't need no stinkin' debate skills.
How many lawyers a Christians? Smiley
Just kidden. Christians come from all walks of life.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the