Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Schoolgirls are forced to take off chastity rings - or be ordered out of lessons
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Schoolgirls are forced to take off chastity rings - or be ordered out of lessons  (Read 2054 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:36:49 PM »

Schoolgirls are forced to take off chastity rings - or be ordered out of lessons 

It is only a band of silver, imprinted with a Bible verse, worn by a schoolgirl.

But the decision by one of the country's top state schools to ban American-style 'purity rings' - increasingly worn by Christian teenagers to symbolise a pledge not to have sex before marriage - has prompted not just a standoff with local parents, but a debate over religious expression and sex education.

Heather and Philip Playfoot have spent almost two years in dispute with Millais School in Horsham, West Sussex, over their 15-year-old daughter Lydia's ring. While the school's uniform rules forbid jewellery, they argue that the rings - given to teenagers who complete a controversial evangelical church course preaching sexual abstinence - hold genuine religious significance.

'The ring is a reminder to them of the promise they have made, much the same as a wedding ring is an outward sign of an inward promise,' said Heather Playfoot.

'There are Muslim girls in the school who are allowed to wear the headcovering, although that isn't part of the school uniform, and Sikh girls who are allowed the wear the bangle although that isn't part of the uniform. It's a discriminatory policy.

'We don't want her education to be disrupted because of it but we do want her to feel free to wear something that is very significant.'

The family claim that Lydia and up to a dozen other pupils wearing purity rings have been forced to take lessons in isolation as punishment for breaking the rules, threatened with detention and that - in Lydia's case - the school governors intimated she could be expelled for repeatedly defying the rules. Heather Playfoot said the school had told them it was a health and safety issue.

Lydia has now stopped wearing the ring in school. 'It makes me feel quite upset and angry as well, and in a way betrayed a little, because the school are always teaching us to be safe and we are trying to stand up for something,' she told The Observer. 'We get picked on and called out of lessons to see if we have got [the rings] on. I do actually keep to the school rules and I don't like stepping out of line or anything, but I just think this is really unfair.'

Her ring came from the Silver Ring Thing, an evangelical initiative recently introduced to Britain from the US, with which her parents' local church is involved.

The organisation is highly controversial, with some experts arguing that abstinence pledges are actually less effective than conventional sexual education which advocates teenagers waiting until they are ready, but emphasises safe sex.

Silver Ring Thing is critical of contraception, suggesting it is dangerously fallible - which critics say only encourages teenagers who do break their pledges to have unprotected sex.

The Playfoots however are equally critical of standard sex education. 'Here you have 12 girls who want to live an alternative lifestyle: we are not asking the school to subscribe to it, just respect it,' said Heather Playfoot.

The issue has now been taken up by the Tory MP Andrew Selous, chair of the Conservative Christian Fellowship, who raised the wearing of purity rings with the Schools Minister Jim Knight in the House of Commons last week.

Knight told him in a written parliamentary answer that while school governors had freedom to set uniform rules, government guidance states that they 'should have regard to their responsibilities under equalities legislation' and be 'sensitive to pupils' cultural and religious needs'.

Selous said while many schools banned jewellery he did not see a problem with purity rings, adding: 'Given that the government is failing to avchieve its teenage pregnancy targets, you would have thought that schools would do everything in their power to help children help themselves.'

However Keith Porteous Wood of the National Secular Society defended the school, adding: 'If the school has the uniform policy I don't see why it should make an exception for this. I'm deeply distrustful of these Silver Ring Thing-type initiatives: the research is quite clear that they don't work.'

Leon Nettley, headmaster of the Millais School, said in a statement that the school's own sex education programme already stressed the illegality of underage sex and encouraged pupils to discuss the issues, adding: 'In relation to the issue of wearing a purity ring, the school is not convinced that pupils' rights have been interfered with by the application of the school's uniform policy.'

The abstinence debate

Hundreds of British teenagers are thought to have gone through courses organised by the Silver Ring Thing, created a decade ago by two Christian activists in Arizona as a response to rising teenage pregnancies. It promotes abstinence before marriage and sexual fidelity within it, using Bible teachings and DVD clips to emphasise the horrors of sexually transmitted diseases and abortions.

At the end of the course, children prepared to pledge chastity can pay £10 for a silver purity ring to be given to their spouse on their wedding day: even non-virgins can be 'born again'.

US President George Bush has heavily advocated abstinence teaching, budgeting $170 million a year for it. However, research by Columbia and Yale Universities found while those who pledge chastity may delay first sex, 88 per cent of them eventually break the promise, and are then less likely than non-pledgers to use contraception.

A MORI poll for The Observer found a fifth of British teenagers had had underage sex. The average age of losing virginity was 17. Almost a third of women questioned wished they had waited longer.

These girls can't wear chastity rings but a boy is allowed to wear girls clothes to school. This world is definitely becoming more evil by the day.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 01:16:37 AM »

If the girls can't wear the rings, then the sikh, and muslims, shouldn't wear the bangle or the headcovering.

Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 01:45:33 AM »

If the girls can't wear the rings, then the sikh, and muslims, shouldn't wear the bangle or the headcovering.

I agree!

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »

These girls can't wear chastity rings but a boy is allowed to wear girls clothes to school. This world is definitely becoming more evil by the day
Amen.  What a sad state.  And imagine it is going to be worse. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »

I think that the specific issue here is that the head covering is not jewelry and the ring is. the rules as they were established may not have specifically addresed religious head coverings where as they did specifically address the issue of jewelry.

Also, did those students with the head coverings get authorization for the wear of them prior to attending or just show up.

It sounds like this young lady, simply showed up to school, a school she was already attending, in violation of the rules she and her parents agreed to obay without any prior authorization.

Lets get specific. I think the silver ring thing, if a fantastic idea and plan, but they went about it wrong in this case. You can not (as a believer) knowingly violate the rules of an organization such as this school when you are in fact the one paying them to enforce them.

If they want to be able to wear jewelry to school it should have been addressed before wearing it, or before enrolling, to avoid the issue.

I think the parents were very irresponcible to let thier daughter violate a rule of the organization without exhaustively pursueing some sort of exception throught the school administration before simply doing something they had prior knowlage to be in violation.

I don't go into an establishment that has posted restrictions about the wear of hats, with a hat on then try to get an exception made for my religious or otherwise head covering. You enter, abiding by the posted and known rule, then pursue an exception to the rule, clearly stating your reasoning, and if they still deny you admission  then you simply do not attend.

Again while I deeply respect the abstinance position of this young lady, I feel it was very irresponsible to simply assume that they could violate the rule (regardless of what anyone else is doing) without seeking first to get this allowed through the proper means.

Without knowing the full detail of the headcoverings this is the surface assesment.

i
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:10:34 AM by Rookieupgrade1 » Logged

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 10:07:35 AM »

Additionally I think that the parents are intentionally making this about the abstinance vs controceptive debate, which it is not

Its about violation of the rules of a  school nothing more.

So what are their motives?

not allowing the wear of jewelry is not a violation of religion. I am not aware of any religion the you HAVE to wear a certail piece of jewelry at all times. I believe the headcovering is required my that religion is it not?

If it were a violation of the religion an exception can and usually is made, however the Christian Faith has no required articals, but rather inward belief. Her rights have not been violated in any way......

I am confused as to where the real issue is and feel that the parents simply are seeking noteriaty for an abstinance program.

Does she REALY NEED to wear the ring AT school to be a part of the program?

How many of us work in an environment that forbids jewelry.......I for one do. I obey the ruels as a condition of employment.......If the parents do not like the rule them they should first seek to have it changed.....then she can wear the ring
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:16:14 AM by Rookieupgrade1 » Logged

Gary

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »

If I were able to put my daughter thru a private school, I would definitely rather pay tuition fo a Christian School, where my child would be taught morals, be able to read the Bible, talk about Jesus, and the boys would not be wearing girls clothes.

Why would I want my money to support a private school that discriminates against Christian values, and clearly allows immorality.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 10:18:14 AM »

These girls can't wear chastity rings but a boy is allowed to wear girls clothes to school. This world is definitely becoming more evil by the day.

I may be mistaken here PR but if this school has a dress code, I am sure the young men are not wearing womens cloths to it. Wink

Gary

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 10:20:46 AM »

If I were able to put my daughter thru a private school, I would definitely rather pay tuition fo a Christian School, where my child would be taught morals, be able to read the Bible, talk about Jesus, and the boys would not be wearing girls clothes.

Why would I want my money to support a private school that discriminates against Christian values, and clearly allows immorality.

Sister I agree 100%

it appears that this is one of the few "public" schools that has moved to implimenting a dress code. If they wish to have the rules changed, then they should do it first, not violate them intensionally, is all I am saying

Gary

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »

The way I see it is a bangle is jewelry, whether it is significant of a religion or not it the school has banned jewelry from being worn, than it should apply to all student no exceptions.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 10:43:21 AM »

The girl was and has been wearing the silver ring prior to this ruling being made. Nothing was said about it to her until the school decided to change the ruling specifically to omit the wearing of this ring. As for the boys wearing girls clothes that was another school entirely. That school did have a dress code also. The boy just showed up one day wearing girls clothes. The school did nothing and said nothing about it until another parent complained. The dress code of that school simply states that no clothing that would cause a distraction to learning could be worn. The school has not allowed muscle shirts, bare midriffs, no hair coloring, etc yet when this was brought up they said it was not a distraction to the other students.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 10:46:28 AM »

Agreed.

In short  I think there is an issue here we are not seeing shown.

1 No "public" school can promote or discriminate against any religious belief.

Here is part of the problem since Islam required their followers to wear the head covering. If Christ had required us to wear anything I am sure we too would be allowed.

2 There is a clear rule that says no jewelry.

So if we get technical, the only violation according to the laws of man and God is by the young lady and her parents, but there may also be additional information the media is witholding that would change my perspective.

I still have to hold to obedience. Christ teaches us to give unto Cesar what is Cesar's........well Cesar also required obedience to the law, and since the law here is not in violation of Gods law in any real way, we must be respectful as followers of Christ and obey it.

Do I think it is right to deny the young lady her ability to wear a ring...........yes. She violated the rule and should have pursued an exception on the grounds of belief BEFORE breaking the rule.

Gary

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 10:49:44 AM »

So PR, did the school change the rules? Did they add the "no jewelry" rule after she started wearing the ring or was it in place prior to that?

It seems like an insignifigant point but it really is the whole point.

If the school changed the rule because of the ring............then they are in the wrong. But if the rule was there from the beginning then they were right to ask her to remove it.

Gary

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 10:58:08 AM »

I agree with you somewhat on this. As Christians we are not to make an idol of such things. Which they appear to be doing just that. Their argument though is not the ring but the meaning that it stands for as being religious. This I can't argue against. However the school made their ruling based on the wearing of this ring and not based on the wearing of other jewelry. So intent to discriminate is there. In an attempt to cover themselves on the discrimination thing they made the ruling all exclusive with the exception of the Sihk jewelry.

I would also agree that she should have contended with this in other ways than to simply break the rules by wearing it to school.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:47 AM »

Let me clarify. There was a ruling about jewelry before this incident but it did not include the wearing of rings. There were individuals that had worn engagement rings and frindship rings and nothing was said. This girl had worn this ring for quite some time. It wasn't until a class on sexuality that the ring became an issue. Then the school made a ruling to include rings in the no jewelry code.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the