Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286815 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Joshua Harris
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joshua Harris  (Read 4089 times)
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 05:17:18 PM »

Tibby,

Once again you have spouted off about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Did you know there were nearly two million "unsocialized" children in America. You really need to go to this link and get the facts. Under socialization and achievement score is really interesting. In fact ,on standardized tests, these kids are scoring way above children in public school ( up to 37 points higher)

Many of these kids are the same "social misfits" that are remaining virgins, courting, marrying, and having godly families. These are the leaders of the future.

Young man, you really need to get your facts straight before you insult 2 million kids.

http://www.hslda.org/research/faq.asp

Psalm 119
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 05:47:08 PM »

As you’re buddy Sincereheart was saying, I’d like to see these stats in writing. From an unbiased source. If you can’t post facts from an unbiased sources, don’t try to crucify me for the same thing.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 06:58:13 PM »

Ah dear young Tibby.... Wink

As the Bronse rule says: Prove unto others as you would have them prove unto you. Why are you the only one who gets to be anecdotal? I DID post in this thread first

The Bronze Rule - LOL! Let me explain this s l o w l y  Tongue
You made the FIRST comment that needed to be proven. And, as a generous gesture, I DID post some 'proof' from studies.  Wink All the other was just you blowing smoke.... Roll Eyes

As you’re buddy Sincereheart was saying, I’d like to see these stats in writing. From an unbiased source. If you can’t post facts from an unbiased sources, don’t try to crucify me for the same thing.

Pssstttt, Tibby.... Psalm119 DID post a link. A source. A reference.
You didn't.... BIG difference!  Tongue

you have spouted off about something you know absolutely nothing about.

This would be my contention, also..... Or as ebia says;
"It is foolish to answer a question that you do not understand."  G. Polya
Grin

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 08:19:08 PM »

Studies show they are even LESS adjusted when they
leave home.

...adjusted...?

Adjusted to WHAT?

The world?

Yeah, right.  *Adjusted* to the world.

Not a very good yard stick by which to measure an education--so that I'm "adjusted" to the world.

Roll Eyes

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 02:16:51 AM »

As the Bronse rule says: Prove unto others as you would have them prove unto you. Why are you the only one who gets to be anecdotal? I DID post in this thread first

You made the FIRST comment that needed to be proven. And, as a generous gesture, I DID post some 'proof' from studies.  Wink All the other was just you blowing smoke.... Roll Eyes

Ok, I get what you are saying now. I remember this from middle school. Your pulling the old “I asked you first” move. No, I did not cite a source. But then again, neither did you. It is a little hypocritical to tell someone to cite a source, and then not cite one yourself. You want me to cite? Then you cite.

I meant an unbiased source. I thought I made that clear because I used the phrase "unbiased source."

Grin

Well, at least you finally cited something. I guess it is my turn now. As Voltaire's famous saying goes: "A witty saying proves nothing." Your turn again.

Anyways, this is fun, but let me know when you want to stop bashing and get to debating, ok?

leave home.

...adjusted...?

Adjusted to WHAT?

The world?

Not a very good yard stick by which to measure an education--so that I'm "adjusted" to the world.

Nice to know Gnosticism is alive and well in good ol' CU.

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 06:27:02 AM »

Ok, I get what you are saying now. I remember this from middle school. Your pulling the old “I asked you first” move. No, I did not cite a source. But then again, neither did you. It is a little hypocritical to tell someone to cite a source, and then not cite one yourself. You want me to cite? Then you cite.

Apparently, you still don't get it - but that's ok. And actually, it's more college level. If you make an absurd statement, then back it up. And you can let go of saying I didn't cite a source, I did- in another thread to avoid continually derailing this one. And no, what's hypocritical is to make a bald statement that you can't back up and then shift to ANYTHING but that...  

I meant an unbiased source. I thought I made that clear because I used the phrase "unbiased source."

And I thought I made it clear that you STILL haven't posted ANY source! You're playing this game because you got busted! You made an ignorant statement and can't back it up so you're trying to distract from that.

Tibby, How many 'jobs' have you had? I don't mean lawn-mowing - I mean those kind where you show up when scheduled and get a regular paycheck? Are you supported or self-supporting?

Anyways, this is fun, but let me know when you want to stop bashing and get to debating, ok?

Bashing? You seem to say that a lot when someone disagrees with you. Is it really bashing? Or are you just so used to having your way, that you can't handle it when you're shown to be in the wrong?

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2004, 07:16:00 AM »

Grin

Well, at least you finally cited something. I guess it is my turn now. As Voltaire's famous saying goes: "A witty saying proves nothing." Your turn again.

leave home.

...adjusted...?

Adjusted to WHAT?

The world?

Sorry to derail the derailment. I would like to know how Reba and Symphony's words are gnostic? And is it meant to be good or bad?

"Nice to know Gnosticism is alive and well in good ol' CU."

gnos·tic [ nóstik ]

adjective  

of knowledge: relating to knowledge, especially knowledge of spiritual truths.***

Gnos·ti·cism [ nósti sìzzəm ]

noun  

early religion: a pre-Christian and early Christian religious movement teaching that salvation comes by learning esoteric spiritual truths that free humanity from the material world, believed in this movement to be evil.

MSN Encarta Online Dictionary.

Putting it back on track, I pray:

Proverbs 22:6.  Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Whose responsibility is this?
In whose an what way should a child be trained to go?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 07:39:00 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2004, 07:42:54 AM »

Thank you, Ollie! I've wondered that myself. But not just here...

From Tibby:

A bit Gnostic, don't you think?
Is that... No it can't be... I think I hear the Gnostic Train coming!
Vulcans are Gnostic.
 I think you are being way to Gnostic, but that line was just to funny.
Maybe Jack Chick should have a tract on Gnosticism, it might be enlightening.
If you think these Gnostic piles are truth, you need to seek the lord for better discernment.
I don’t know, all this Electronic Chips and Nuclear War Theory just seems a bit to Gnostic for my taste.
Looks like people are more into reading poorly written, Gnostic propaganda with a cheap escapist plot then reading a quality piece of literature that has changed the lives and mindsets of people the word over!
Are, as good little Gnostics, should we just not die?
All the heretics running around, Gnostics, Arians, televangelists.
Yeah, and pretend like I, in my Gnostic posts, know biblical prohpecy and understand it at the infallibility level?
There is a little but of Gnosticism in a few of the members, but you will find most are generally open to new and interesting Sceintific data.
No, you will be told not to box everyone else into your weak Gnostic definitions of the World.
Besides, if the world really is going to end, mocking the Gnostics is all I have left
Is the word Gnosticism in that post somewhere?
Oh, look, their it is again: Gnosticism.
Nice little bit of Gnosticism he has on his profile.
Unholy heresy, Batman! It’s Gnosticism!
Oh look! It is a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Gnosticism!
Did I see the word Gnosticism in that post? No? Oh, look, here is it again: Gnosticism.
Yeah, Sapph, the Left behind series is an entertaining read, but a bit on the Gnostic side.
Some of them have board-line Gnostic dourine, other are down right insane.

Lips Sealed

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 09:26:34 AM »

Ollie,

Ditto! Thank you for posting the definition of gnosticism.

Tibby, if you would carefully take the time to look at the link above, you will notice that this is the Home School Legal Defense Association. This is a group of lawyers who compiled this information. Would a group of Christian attorney's whose whole purpose is to defend the right's of home schooler's be so ignorant to post false data? What would be the purpose?

Tibby, has your darwinistic/marxist education left you that small minded?

Psalm 119
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2004, 01:51:10 PM »

Apparently, you still don't get it - but that's ok. And actually, it's more college level. If you make an absurd statement, then back it up. And you can let go of saying I didn't cite a source, I did- in another thread to avoid continually derailing this one. And no, what's hypocritical is to make a bald statement that you can't back up and then shift to ANYTHING but that...

You are the on over here talking about posting things anecdotally and all. I have admitted that I have not been able to find a site that supports me. However, logic would dictate someone who doesn’t get out much doesn’t get a lot of socialization done. My own experience with the many Home school I have met have proven them to be a bit unbalanced. Again, I have alreayd said I can't find any study. You claim their are studies, but you can't seem to post them.

And I thought I made it clear that you STILL haven't posted ANY source! You're playing this game because you got busted! You made an ignorant statement and can't back it up so you're trying to distract from that.

Neither have you. I have admitted I can't find and link, but you have yet to do admitt this, or and you still have not posted a source.

Tibby, How many 'jobs' have you had? I don't mean lawn-mowing - I mean those kind where you show up when scheduled and get a regular paycheck? Are you supported or self-supporting?

2, construction and video store, but how is this relevant to the topic at hand?

Bashing? You seem to say that a lot when someone disagrees with you. Is it really bashing? Or are you just so used to having your way, that you can't handle it when you're shown to be in the wrong?

No, normaly I say that a lot when people make it a habit to attack me, as you have.

Smile, put on a happy face. No need to get so worked up over something that someone you haven't even met says. Smiley

Ollie- Um... thanks...

Psalms- I realise it the the HSLDA. Anf they are a biased group.

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2004, 02:16:25 PM »

You claim their are studies, but you can't seem to post them.

Huh

Links and/or references were posted....

Huh

However, logic would dictate someone who doesn’t get out much doesn’t get a lot of socialization done.

Logic would dictate that those who are out in the community around a wide range of people would be MORE socialized than those that stay in a group of peers all day....  Huh

No, normaly I say that a lot when people make it a habit to attack me, as you have.

This isn't the first time you've accused me of this. Where have I attacked you?  Huh

Smile, put on a happy face. No need to get so worked up over something that someone you haven't even met says.

Uh Tibby, you haven't in any way changed my life or affected my joy......  Huh

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2004, 04:23:15 AM »

You claim their are studies, but you can't seem to post them.

Huh

Links and/or references were posted....

Huh

That is nice, and I replied to it. Besides, they aren’t what I would call studies

However, logic would dictate someone who doesn’t get out much doesn’t get a lot of socialization done.

Logic would dictate that those who are out in the community around a wide range of people would be MORE socialized than those that stay in a group of peers all day....  Huh

Yes, now find me a group of people who ONLY spend time with their peers, and we will talk.

This isn't the first time you've accused me of this. Where have I attacked you?  Huh

I am reminded of the time I opened my heart trying to relate to everyone favorite 15-year-old by adding how I personally felt at that age, and you snapped out.

Smile, put on a happy face. No need to get so worked up over something that someone you haven't even met says.

Uh Tibby, you haven't in any way changed my life or affected my joy......  Huh

Not your Joy, just your temperament. Smiley

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2004, 05:03:59 AM »

Yes, now find me a group of people who ONLY spend time with their peers, and we will talk.

Here's a really simple test for you..... Count up the hours spent in a regular school day, plus any outside school activities, plus travel time (school bus, etc.). Then add sleep to the list for the average public school student. That would be the time spent with peers. Now subtract that from the 24 hours that God has given us. What does that leave?
I'll give you an example: Here, the bus picks up at 6:30 a.m. and drops the kids off at 4:15 p.m. That = 9 H 45 M. Add what? 9 hours sleep? That goes up to 18 H 45 M. Let's be cautious and add only 1 hour a day spent on outside activities (for the younger that might be playing with friends, older might be after-school activities - whatever). That comes to 19 H 45 M. That leaves 4 H and 15 M that the child is directly influenced by the parents. Of course, out of that time the child will be doing homework, etc. so that total time is not directly influenced by the parents.

But just back to the time directly spent with peers = 9H 45M
The time directly spent with family  =                      4H 15 M
More time IS spent with peers! Logic would dictate that who you spend the most time with is who would have the most effect on you.

I am reminded of the time I opened my heart trying to relate to everyone favorite 15-year-old by adding how I personally felt at that age, and you snapped out.

Hmmmm.....You said:
Yeha, the 12-15 time was rough. "I'm just a Kid" by Simple Plan did a great job of capturing the pain of this age in the lyrics. Such a painful age. Before you can drive, just entering your true Teen years. Starts at 12, you are not a true teenager yet, but you are surely not a kid. And that just keep going for the next few years. The good part is, it is a small step in making you the person you are. If you don't dovelp a "lone wolf" complex, that is.

"Oh, all my friend are hanging out at the club, and I'm not. No big deal, I don't really like them anyways"

Ah, good times, good times.

I thought it sounded patronizing. I still do! My reply?
Tibby, do you set out to be deliberately insulting?  
And with all your wordly wisdom at what age? Oh yeah, 19.  

sincereheart, What is the matter with it? Do you set out to deliberately be a complete jurk? I was reminiscing the hard times I had at that age. It doesn’t take a genius to agree with Tom, and add on to what he said by talking about your own experience, just a few short years ago. Honestly, what is your problem, sincereheart? I didn't think someone would get offended by a simple post, but I am truly sorry that I did.
^Willow, Take note, that is what I'm talking about^

Who was calling names? BTW, it's spelled 'jerk'.

Who 'snapped out'? Who 'attacked' whom?

Not your Joy, just your temperament.

ROFL! If standing up to mistruths is temperment, then so be it......

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2004, 10:46:47 AM »

Here's a really simple test for you..... Count up the hours spent in a regular school day, plus any outside school activities, plus travel time (school bus, etc.). Then add sleep to the list for the average public school student. That would be the time spent with peers. Now subtract that from the 24 hours that God has given us. What does that leave?
I'll give you an example: Here, the bus picks up at 6:30 a.m. and drops the kids off at 4:15 p.m. That = 9 H 45 M. Add what? 9 hours sleep? That goes up to 18 H 45 M. Let's be cautious and add only 1 hour a day spent on outside activities (for the younger that might be playing with friends, older might be after-school activities - whatever). That comes to 19 H 45 M. That leaves 4 H and 15 M that the child is directly influenced by the parents. Of course, out of that time the child will be doing homework, etc. so that total time is not directly influenced by the parents.

But just back to the time directly spent with peers = 9H 45M
The time directly spent with family  =                      4H 15 M
More time IS spent with peers! Logic would dictate that who you spend the most time with is who would have the most effect on you.

Well, that would be true. You forget one thing, I spent a long time in public and private school, around 12 years. You have 2 holes in this (well, 2 MAJOR holes). You see, first of all, kids do not do a lot of “home work” per say. Most “home work” is finish able within the school day. And the part that isn’t is only about 5 minutes worth of work. The other problem, you assume they are getting 9 hours of sleep. If you are able to find a grade schooler who get 9 hours of sleep on a regular basis, then we will talk. Most of them don’t get half of that. Then you also they only get 1 hour of outside communication Not even close. Most kids will spend several hours out. Older kids will finish with there extra-curricular activities, and then go out with friends. You have also left out Teachers, counselors, and other faculty. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I do not thing they are peers to the school children.

Hmmmm.....You said:
Yeha, the 12-15 time was rough. "I'm just a Kid" by Simple Plan did a great job of capturing the pain of this age in the lyrics. Such a painful age. Before you can drive, just entering your true Teen years. Starts at 12, you are not a true teenager yet, but you are surely not a kid. And that just keep going for the next few years. The good part is, it is a small step in making you the person you are. If you don't dovelp a "lone wolf" complex, that is.

"Oh, all my friend are hanging out at the club, and I'm not. No big deal, I don't really like them anyways"

Ah, good times, good times.

I thought it sounded patronizing. I still do! My reply?
Tibby, do you set out to be deliberately insulting?  
And with all your wordly wisdom at what age? Oh yeah, 19.  

sincereheart, What is the matter with it? Do you set out to deliberately be a complete jurk? I was reminiscing the hard times I had at that age. It doesn’t take a genius to agree with Tom, and add on to what he said by talking about your own experience, just a few short years ago. Honestly, what is your problem, sincereheart? I didn't think someone would get offended by a simple post, but I am truly sorry that I did.
^Willow, Take note, that is what I'm talking about^

Yes, I was defensive. Your point? If you thought it sounds patronizing, when you should have said that, instead of coming back with more patronizing comments.

Who was calling names? BTW, it's spelled 'jerk'.

Who said anything about names?

Who 'snapped out'? Who 'attacked' whom?

You. You.

Not your Joy, just your temperament.

ROFL! If standing up to mistruths is temperment, then so be it......

right...

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2004, 12:31:38 PM »

Thank you, Ollie! I've wondered that myself. But not just here...

From Tibby:

A bit Gnostic, don't you think?
Is that... No it can't be... I think I hear the Gnostic Train coming!
Vulcans are Gnostic.
 I think you are being way to Gnostic, but that line was just to funny.
Maybe Jack Chick should have a tract on Gnosticism, it might be enlightening.
If you think these Gnostic piles are truth, you need to seek the lord for better discernment.
I don’t know, all this Electronic Chips and Nuclear War Theory just seems a bit to Gnostic for my taste.
Looks like people are more into reading poorly written, Gnostic propaganda with a cheap escapist plot then reading a quality piece of literature that has changed the lives and mindsets of people the word over!
Are, as good little Gnostics, should we just not die?
All the heretics running around, Gnostics, Arians, televangelists.
Yeah, and pretend like I, in my Gnostic posts, know biblical prohpecy and understand it at the infallibility level?
There is a little but of Gnosticism in a few of the members, but you will find most are generally open to new and interesting Sceintific data.
No, you will be told not to box everyone else into your weak Gnostic definitions of the World.
Besides, if the world really is going to end, mocking the Gnostics is all I have left
Is the word Gnosticism in that post somewhere?
Oh, look, their it is again: Gnosticism.
Nice little bit of Gnosticism he has on his profile.
Unholy heresy, Batman! It’s Gnosticism!
Oh look! It is a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Gnosticism!
Did I see the word Gnosticism in that post? No? Oh, look, here is it again: Gnosticism.
Yeah, Sapph, the Left behind series is an entertaining read, but a bit on the Gnostic side.
Some of them have board-line Gnostic dourine, other are down right insane.

Lips Sealed

Hmmm, this IS interesting.  Did you compiles these, sincereheart?

Nice work.  Thank you.  That's a little bit of work.

What's the deal, Tibby?  Care to respond to this?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the