Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:09:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Depression-What are the Biblical causes and cures?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Depression-What are the Biblical causes and cures?  (Read 1755 times)
Gilligan

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2004, 02:12:31 PM »

Please share how to overcome depression from a scriptual standpoint
Palmoni

To decide NOT to decide IS to decide!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 03:09:29 PM »

Smiley Hi Gilligan. Try this out < www.graceimpact.org/depression.html > i believe this is the finest Biblical study on Depression availble TODAY! The speaker gives an indepth look at depression from the source of it to its solution. Teaches a Biblical cure totally apart from psychology's human viewpoint. The studies are in 6 parts: "Depression: its source & solution", "Stopping at the start", "A neck-up Check-up", "Glad to go M.A.D.", Defeating Depression Daily", & "How to help a Friend". It IS well worth any persons time & effort.

PALMONI [[ If what you believe is not worth dying for, then maybe it's not worth living for. ]]
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 03:33:37 PM »

Depression is a medical condition.  You wouldn't look for a "scriptural solution" to a broken leg would you?

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 03:36:09 PM »

Depression is a medical condition.  You wouldn't look for a "scriptural solution" to a broken leg would you?

Ah, but the Bible can be of some good medication & comfort to someone! Smiley

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 09:33:41 PM »

ebia,

True, depression is a medical problem. It can be caused by purely medical things like an imbalance of chemicals or genetic propensity, and helped by medicine.

It can also be a response to events like bereavement, or indeed, a spiritual problem. It can be a response to a spiritual crisis, it can be the cause of it. It can even be a response to a sudden understanding of the sin in the world, or again, that could be the symptom.

Regardless of all that, NateyCakes is right about there being scriptural help, and God helping with it. As well as medicine.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 01:59:46 AM »

Ah, but the Bible can be of some good medication & comfort to someone! Smiley
Absolutely, but you need to see a doctor as well.  The two complement not replace each other.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
The Crusader
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 06:01:09 AM »

Smiley Hi Gilligan. Try this out < www.graceimpact.org/depression.html > i believe this is the finest Biblical study on Depression availble TODAY! The speaker gives an indepth look at depression from the source of it to its solution. Teaches a Biblical cure totally apart from psychology's human viewpoint. The studies are in 6 parts: "Depression: its source & solution", "Stopping at the start", "A neck-up Check-up", "Glad to go M.A.D.", Defeating Depression Daily", & "How to help a Friend". It IS well worth any persons time & effort.

Good Study Palmoni, thanks for posting it.

Your friend and brother

The Crusader
<Smiley))><
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:03:07 AM by The Crusader » Logged
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 10:24:18 PM »

Hi Gilligan,

If this is for you, please know that you are not alone, and that there is hope; it is not forever. I speak from personal experience; I've been there. If it is for another, and if you can, please pass this on!

This is for anyone who suffers from depression, or knows someone who does.

Ebia is right; the depressed person should see a doctor as soon as is possible. So is NateyCakes; it is God's work in my life that has brought me healing, and that continues to heal and comfort me.

By the time you've been depressed for any amount of time at all, the problem is both physical and psychological/ spiritual. Our emotions are very chemical, and our chemicals are very emotional. A disturbance in one feeds into the other, which feeds back into the first; this process, left undisturbed, is a vicious downward spiral.

The answer, except in the case of mild transient depression, does not lie in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. Depression defies willpower; I have willpower galore, and in that state it didn't do me a stitch of good. Nor is it about being weak. It is, as best as I can describe it, about pain. You know how physical pain drains your energy and robs you of vitality, clear-mindedness, optimism, etc.? Well, depression does the same thing. And let me tell you- I'll take physical pain anytime to the awfulness of that pain.

Dealing with it on your own isn't the answer. Depressed person needs the support and love of those around them. They need to find the source of the problem, be it chemical, or psychological, or spiritual. With and through the support of their family, community and if possible a good Christian counselor or therapist, they need to let God in to bring healing and wholeness to those places in their hearts that need it.
All things work for good for those who trust in God, even when those things in and of themselves are terrible; dealing with depression has taught me day-to-day reliance on God's grace. It has taught me to lay aside my willpower and to surrender; not to depression, but to Him. It has even taught me to suffer with joy, because my suffering is His suffering and His joy is my joy. And by His grace, I have come out the other side.
Psalms 23:4 - Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

There's a song that has gotten me through some dark times:

I Will Praise Him Still- by Margee Days

When the morning falls on the farthest hill
I will sing His name, I will praise Him still.

When the dark trials come, and my heart is filled
With the weight of doubt, I will praise Him still.

For the Lord our God, He is strong to save,
From the arms of death, from the deepest grave,

And He gave His life in His perfect will,
And by His good grace, I will praise Him still.

Something else that has helped me:

My dear Lord in Heaven, and on earth, and everywhere, everytime, my all,

Guide me today; Fill me with joy in all that I do, in bliss and in suffering, for I am no more or less Yours, and in Your hands, at any instant of the day than in another, in any place than in another.

My heart is drawn to you, my will is drawn to you, my all is drawn to you, in every instant and in every place and in every state of mind.

You are constant. Help me to be constant to you.

Even if you are feeling too lost to be drawn to Him, speak the words. It is not a lie, then, but a statement of desire or intention. Sometimes, when I couldn't even bring myself to desire His presence anymore, I have had to settle for desiring to desire His presence. Even, a few times, for desiring to desire to desire His presence. I kid you not. And you know what? He'll work with that; He loves you!

In His love,

-Grace
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 09:32:49 PM »

great thread !
that was nice grace, god bless you, i enjoyed that.
                                 butcha
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the