Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286817 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 359189 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: January 09, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

There never was a fountain like this!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity!" Zechariah 13:1

"The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin!" 1 John 1:7

There is another river, the streams of which make glad the City of God. It is a river whose waters are crimson red, rather than crystal clear. The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin--His life-blood, shed for our redemption on the shameful tree!

So many have proved the potency of this blessed fountain--a great multitude which no man can number! From the East and the West, the North and the South; from the early dawn of Christ, and the modern home--they have pressed to its brink, and they are pressing still. Whoever is willing, may stoop down and drink and live!

Such continuous and permanent efficacy resides in this wondrous fountain. It is not like the Pool of Bethesda, endowed with a strange and vitalizing virtue only at intervals. The dear dying Lamb never loses His power to save. The Cross is at every moment, the instrument of pardon. The blood cleanses--and retains its capacity of cleansing perennially, age after age.

And so universally and omnipotently successful these blood-red waters are. From all my sin they will purge me:
  my secret sins--and my presumptuous sins,
  my sins of youth--and my sins of old age,
  my sins against others--and my sins against myself,
  my sins when I was a stranger to God--and my darker and more hateful sins since I came home to Him.

There never was a fountain like this! Exploration has not discovered its like, nor has imagination ever conceived it! It is peerless, matchless, unique. Surely I have washed and am daily washing in it, that I may be clean!

There is a fountain filled with blood
    drawn from Emmanuel's veins;
    and sinners plunged beneath that flood
    lose all their guilty stains!

The dying thief rejoiced to see
    that fountain in his day;
    and there may I, though vile as he
    wash all my sins away!

Dear dying Lamb, Your precious blood
    shall never lose its power
    till all the ransomed church of God
    be saved, to sin no more!

E'er since, by faith, I saw the stream
    Your flowing wounds supply,
    redeeming love has been my theme,
    and shall be till I die!

When this poor lisping, stammering tongue
    lies silent in the grave,
    Then in a nobler, sweeter song,
    I'll sing Your power to save!
     (William Cowper, 1731-1800)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: January 10, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »

Reading God's Word

"There is nothing more important in the Christian life than the way in which we approach the Bible, and the way in which we read it." (Martyn Lloyd-Jones)

"God has given the Word to us as a revelation . . .
  of Himself,
  of His character,
  of His government,
  of His requirements.
Our motive in reading it, then, should be to become better acquainted with Him, with His perfections, with His will for us. Our end in perusing His Word should be learn how to please and glorify Him; and that, by our characters being formed under its holy influence, and our conduct regulated in all its details by the rules He has there laid down." (Arthur Pink)

"Our knowledge of God's Word, and delight in it, must be directed to practice!" (Thomas Manton)

"The Scripture is given to establish our faith, and comfort our hearts, and sanctify our lives--but not to amuse us and to gratify our curiosity." (William Jay)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: January 12, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »

Martin Luther's favorite preacher!

(J.R. Miller, "The Glory of the Commonplace")

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:25-26

Martin Luther, referring to the sin of worrying, says: "I have one preacher that I love better than any other on earth; it is my little tame robin, who preaches to me daily. I put some crumbs upon my window sill, especially at night. He hops onto the window sill when he wants his supply, and takes as much as he desires to satisfy his need. From thence he always hops to a little tree close by, lifts up his voice to God and sings his carol of praise and gratitude, then tucks his little head under his wing, goes fast to sleep, and leaves tomorrow to care for itself. He is the best preacher that I have on earth!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: January 12, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »

Though we do not know where the road winds--we know where it ends!

(Charles Spurgeon)

Life is ever changing. Who can tell what may come next? Today it is fair--the next day there may be the thundering storm. Today I may need nothing--tomorrow I may be like Jacob, with nothing but a stone for my pillow and the heavens for my curtains.

But what a happy thought it is: though we do not know where the road winds--we know where it ends!

We may have to go through trial and affliction; the pilgrimage may be a tiresome one--but it is safe. We cannot trace the river upon which we are sailing--but we know it ends in floods of bliss! We cannot track the roads--but we know that they all meet in the great metropolis of Heaven! God help us to pursue the true pilgrimage of a pious life!

"He led them forth by the right way--that they might go to a city of habitation!" Psalm 107:7

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: January 13, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »

Affliction is a bitter root, but it bears sweet fruit!

(Thomas Watson)

There is more malignity in a drop of sin, than in a sea of affliction; for sin is the cause of affliction, and the cause is greater than the effect. The sword of God's justice lies quiet in the scabbard--until sin draws it out!

Affliction is good for us: "It is good for me that I have been afflicted!" Psalm 119:71. When God lays men upon their backs, then they look up to Him. God's smiting His people with the rod of affliction, is like the musician's striking upon the violin, which makes it put forth melodious sound. How much good comes to the saints by affliction! Like fragrant spices, when they are pounded, they send forth their sweetest smell. Affliction is a bitter root, but it bears sweet fruit!

Affliction causes repentance. "In his distress Manasseh sought the favor of the LORD his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers!" 2 Chronicles 33:12

The viper, being stricken, casts up its poison. Just so, God's rod of affliction striking us, we spit away the poison of sin!

Affliction betters our grace. Gold is purest, and juniper sweetest--in the fire.

Affliction prevents damnation! "When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world!" 1 Corinthians 11:32

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: January 15, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »

Mary might well complain of Martha!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42

"The world eats up our time, our energies, and our thoughts--and God has but a little share, little worship, little reverence."

For the most part in our households, Mary might well complain of Martha, for family cares still encumber many and keep them away from Jesus' feet. Very seldom are Christians nowadays too much in the closet, too much with their Bibles, too much at prayer-meetings. Alas, the most of them are all zeal for the world, the shop, or the evening party! "Martha, Martha!" we may well complain to the Master of you--for you leave Him alone, and forsake His teaching--and all for this poor, cumbering world!

Lord, help us to balance our duties, and thus may we serve you after the best manner, through your grace.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: January 15, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »

Sword and famine and wild beasts and plague!

"For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: How much worse will it be when I send against Jerusalem My four dreadful judgments: sword and famine and wild beasts and plague--to kill its men and their animals!" Ezekiel 14:21

(Edward Payson)
National judgments are always the consequence of national sins. It is indispensably necessary to the perfection of God's moral government, that it should extend to nations and communities, as well as to individuals. This, I conceive, is too evident to require proof; for how could God be considered as the moral Governor of the world--if nations and communities were exempt from His government?

(Matthew Henry)
God has a variety of sore judgments with which to punish sinful nations--and He has them all at His command and inflicts which nations He pleases. God often chastises sinful nations by bringing the sword of war upon them--and He gives it its commission and orders what execution it shall do.

(John Calvin)
War is one of God's judgments.

(William Greenhill)
It is God who calls out the sword, and causes it to come: "When I bring the sword upon a land!" Ezekiel 33:2. He is the Lord of hosts, and commissions armies to make invasions where He please. Eminent wickedness brings eminent judgments. Wars do not come upon any nation by accident--but by the righteous providence of God.

(Martyn Lloyd-Jones)
I regard the two World Wars which we have experienced in the 20th century, as God's punishment of the apostasy of the last century. I see no other adequate explanation.

(Augustine)
Nothing happens, unless the Omnipotent wills it to happen.

(Thomas Watson)
Sinners may oppose God's ways--but not His wrath.

(James Durham)
Let us stay our faith here--that our Lord is still working in all these confusions. And when matters are turned upside down as to human appearance--our blessed Lord knows well what He is doing, and will make all things most certainly, infallibly, and unalterably to work for His own glory, and for the good of His people.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:35:14 PM by nChrist » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 16, 2015, 10:30:32 AM »

The carrion which professors can now feed upon!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"It is not a wonder for a pauper, who has not been acquainted with fine foods, to love husks. But it would be strange for a prince who has been acquainted with better diet, to leave the dainties of his father's table for such base food. Just so, I do not wonder at carnal men, that they are delighted with carnal objects--they know no better. But for a child of God, who has tasted how gracious and sweet Christ is, to find savor in coarser fare--this is astonishing!"

Yet were our author now alive, he might weep his eyes out as he saw professing Christians craving for the ball-room and the theater! The carrion which professors can now feed upon, is disgusting to the real Christian. Sinful entertainments are enjoyed among religious professors, which are unworthy even of decent worldlings.

Many true hearts are deeply wounded by this terrible degeneracy. Were it not for a small remnant, we would have been as Sodom and Gomorrah!

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things!" Colossians 3:1-2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: January 19, 2015, 11:11:05 AM »

He shall save His people from their sins!

(Frank Hall)

"You shall call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins!" Matthew 1:21

Glorious Jesus, your name is . . .
  the cure for sin-sick hearts,
  the resting place for the weary pilgrims of Zion,
  heavenly manna for every true Israelite wandering through this barren wilderness of darkness and sin.

This name, "which is above every name" . . .
  calms the troubled sea within,
  sweetens every bitter trial,
  illuminates every sad and lonesome path,
  dispels the darkness of doubt and despair, and
  soothes the trembling heart
--of every redeemed child of God.

This precious verse teaches us that Jesus Christ cannot fail to save His people from their sins. He established perfect righteousness for them by His obedience unto death, and obtained eternal redemption for them with His own precious blood. When He shouted from the cross, "It is finished" . . .
  salvation was finished,
  God's holiness was appeased,
  satisfaction for sin was made, and
  judgment was over
--for all the people of God.

God did not send His Son into this world to save all men from their sins; rather, He sent His Son into this wicked world to save "His people" from their sins.

God's salvation, in its entirety, is for His elect people, who are identified in the Scriptures as "the people of God." All that the Lord Jesus did, does, and will do--is, has always been, and will always be for His chosen people. He came into this world, was born of a virgin, lived under the law, was in all points tempted like as we are, and perfectly obeyed the will of God in all things for one reason--that He might save His elect people with an everlasting salvation. He loved them, chose them, and gave Himself for them--them, and only them.

He was born for His people.
He kept the law for His people.
He suffered for His people.
He was made sin for His people.
He died for His people.
He arose from the dead for His people.
He ascended into glory for His people.
He rules all things for His people.
He intercedes for His people.
He is coming again for His people.

Listen to the reverberation of God's distinguishing grace as the apostle Paul sounds the gospel trumpet: "Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her . . . to present her to Himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless!" Ephesians 5:25-27

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: January 19, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »

God's most comforting attribute!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose!" Romans 8:28

There is no attribute of God more comforting to His children than that of God's sovereignty. Under the most adverse circumstances, in the most severe troubles, they believe . . .
  that Sovereignty has ordained their afflictions,
  that Sovereignty overrules them, and
  that Sovereignty will sanctify them all.

There is nothing for which the children of God ought more earnestly to contend, than . . .
  the doctrine of their Master ruling over all creation,
  the kingship of God over all the works of His own hand,
  the throne of God, and His right to reign upon that throne.

"Our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases!" Psalm 115:3

"All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as He pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth." Daniel 4:35

"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns!" Revelation 19:6

"To be God and sovereign are inseparable!" (Stephen Charnock)

"Sovereignty characterizes the whole being of God. He is sovereign in all His attributes!" (Arthur Pink)

"God has sovereign right to dispose of us as He pleases. We ought to acquiesce in all that God does with us and to us." (William Carey)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: January 19, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »

God's most hated attribute!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases!" Psalm 115:3

"The LORD does whatever pleases Him, throughout all heaven and earth, and on the seas and in their depths!" Psalm 135:6

"All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as He pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth." Daniel 4:35

On the other hand, there is no doctrine more hated by worldlings, as the great, stupendous--but yet most certain doctrine of the Sovereignty of the infinite Jehovah!

Men will allow God to be everywhere except on His throne!

They will allow Him to be in His workshop to fashion worlds and make stars.

They will allow Him to be in His almonry to dispense His alms and bestow His bounties.

They will allow Him to sustain the earth and bear up the pillars thereof, or light the lamps of Heaven, or rule the waves of the ever-moving ocean.

But when God ascends His throne--then His creatures then gnash their teeth! And when we proclaim an enthroned God, and His right to do as He wills with His own, to dispose of His creatures as He thinks well, without consulting them in the matter--then it is that we are hissed and execrated, and then it is that men turn a deaf ear to us--for God on His throne, is not the God they love!

No doctrine in the whole Word of God has more excited the hatred of mankind, than the truth of the absolute sovereignty of God!

Opposition to divine sovereignty is essentially atheism--and were it not for sovereign grace, none of us would ever have followed the path to Heaven. I am daily more and more convinced that the difference between one man and another is, not the difference between his use of his will--but the difference of grace that has been bestowed upon him.

"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns!" Revelation 19:6

"The great controversy between God and man has been, whether He or they shall be God; whether His reason or theirs, His will or theirs, shall be the guiding principle. If anything could frustrate God's will--then it would be superior to Him, God would not be omnipotent, and so would lose the perfection of the Deity, and consequently the Deity itself; for that which did wholly defeat God's will, would be more powerful than He. To be God and yet inferior to another, is a contradiction!" (Stephen Charnock)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: January 21, 2015, 04:20:10 AM »

We must struggle long and hard!

(J.R. Miller, "The Glory of the Commonplace")

"So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then!" Joshua 14:11

It is refreshing to find Caleb so heroic at eighty-five. Most old people ask for easy places--but Caleb had a young man's heart. He did not seek easy things. He asked for a mountain which giants still held, saying that he would drive them out.

In the same way, it develops our own virtues and graces to have to fight to get possession of our inheritance.

God puts the gold deep down among the rocks, that we must dig and search for it if we would get it.

He gives a man a farm--but the farm has to be cleared and cultivated before it is ready to yield its harvest.

He gives a young man a fine education--but the young man must study hard to get it.

He gives a young girl splendid musical talent, and to get it developed into its possibilities, she has to spend months and years in weary practice.

God gives us great grace, holiness, meekness, patience, and likeness to Christ; but we must struggle long and hard with our old nature to obtain these gifts.

"Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling!" Philippians 2:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: January 21, 2015, 04:22:05 AM »

The best and the only sufficient expositors of Scripture!

(Letters of John Newton)

"When the Spirit of truth comes--He will guide you into all the truth." John 16:13

Psalm 25:14, "The secret counsel of the LORD is for those who fear Him, and He reveals His covenant to them"--not notionally, but experimentally.

A few minutes of the Spirit's teaching will furnish us with more real, useful and experimental knowledge--than toiling through whole folios of commentators! It will be our wisdom to deal less with the streams--and be more close in applying to the fountain-head. The Scripture itself, and the Spirit of God--are the best and the only sufficient expositors of Scripture. Whatever men have valuable in their writings--they got it from Scripture; and the Scripture is as open to us--as to any of them. There is nothing required but a teachable, humble spirit; and academic learning, as it is commonly called, is not necessary in order for this.

We learn more, and more effectually, by one minute's communication with God through the medium of His written Word, than we could from an assembly of theologians, or a library of books!

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Your law!" Psalm 119:18

"Teach me Your statutes!" Psalm 119:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: January 22, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »

The world will not care!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men!" 1 Peter 2:15

The world will not care about my testimony with the lip--unless there is also a testimony in my daily life for God, for truth, for holiness, for everything that is honest, lovely, pure and of good report.

"There is no argument like a holy life!" (Robert Murray M'Cheyne)

"Men may refuse to see the truth of our arguments--but they cannot evade the evidence of a holy life. Live a holy life brethren!" (J.C. Ryle)

"You ought to live holy and godly lives!" 2 Peter 3:11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: January 23, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »

An inlet to three dreadful things!

(Thomas Brooks, "A Heavenly Cordial" 1665)

Death is dreadful to the unbelieving sinner, for it puts an everlasting end to all his temporal . . .
  mercies,
  comforts,
  contentments,
  and enjoyments.

Death will put an everlasting end to all his pleasures of sin. Now the sinner shall never more have one merry day. In Hell there is no . . .
  no singing--but howling;
  no music--but madness;
  no sporting--but sighing;
  no dancing--but wringing of hands
and gnashing of teeth for evermore!

In a word, now the sinner shall find by woeful experience, that death will be an inlet to three dreadful things:
   1. To judgment, Hebrews 9:27;
   2. To an irreversible sentence of condemnation, Matthew 25:41;
   3. To endless, ceaseless, and remediless sufferings!

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the