Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286811 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Principal Learned Lesson in Liberty From Kindergarten Class
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Principal Learned Lesson in Liberty From Kindergarten Class  (Read 1037 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2005, 08:39:40 AM »

Staver: Principal Learned Lesson in Liberty From Kindergarten Class

by Jim Brown and Jenni Parker
June 7, 2005

(AgapePress) - A case of school censorship in Terrytown, Louisiana, has ended with a kindergarten class being permitted to sing a song their principal had previously prohibited because she deemed it religious and decided it was therefore unconstitutional.

Leading up to a May 27 school-wide end-of-the-year ceremony, kindergarten teacher Tammy Honore and her Terrytown Elementary School class had been practicing a song for the program, which was to be conducted off the school premises in a gymnasium at a public park. Each kindergarten class was permitted to perform at the event, singing songs, performing skits or plays, or otherwise taking part in the closing celebration.

For the ceremony, Honore and her class had been practicing to sing "Can't Give Up Now," a song recorded by the gospel music duo known collectively as Mary Mary. However, school principal Mary Ellen Heating objected to the selection, the lyrics of which talk about overcoming adversity, echoing the recurring theme, "I just can't give up now." At one point, the words of the song state, "I don't believe he brought me this far to leave me."

Principal Heating objected to the word "he" in the song's lyrics, perceiving it to be a reference to God and therefore, in her estimation, inappropriate. Hence, she initially prohibited the kindergarteners from singing the selection they had prepared. The school administrator had a change of heart, however -- after attorney Mat Staver, president of the Florida-based Liberty Counsel, threatened her with a federal lawsuit if she failed to lift her ban against "Can't Give Up Now."

Honore had contacted Liberty Counsel and requested legal help. At the kindergarten teacher's request, Staver says, "We wrote an opinion letter saying that, not only was this song permissible, but it would be unconstitutional to censor this song solely because of its perceived religious viewpoint." Also, he notes, the letter informed Heating that if she did not end this censorship, she would be not only "violating the Constitution," but also "subjecting herself and the school to a federal lawsuit."

Parents of some of the kindergarteners also applied pressure, urging the principal to allow the song to be performed. Eventually, after Heating saw that she had placed the school in a position to be sued and that parents were unhappy with her decision, she relented.

"When she realized what the law says on this issue and that she was violating the constitutional rights of these kindergarten students and their parents," Staver says, "the principal decided to back down. So the good news is that the kindergarten class actually educated the educator." And as a result, he adds, Ms. Honore's students were able to sing "I Can't Give Up Now" as part of the end-of-the-year celebration.

The head of Liberty Counsel believes Heating initially censored the song because she mistakenly construed the establishment clause of the First Amendment -- the so-called separation of church and state -- as requiring that she prohibit what she construed to be a religious presentation. However, the attorney points out, "Allowing other secular songs, plays, skits or presentations [in the school program], while censoring this song for its alleged religious viewpoint, is unconstitutional, viewpoint-based discrimination."

"If Principal Heating had continued to ban "I Can't Give Up Now" based solely on its religious theme, Staver feels her action would have sent a terrible message to the young students at Terrytown Elementary. But instead, he says, the kindergarteners ultimately taught the school official "that religious speech is not an orphan to the First Amendment."

http://news.christiansunite.com/Religion_News/religion02831.shtml

Additional information on ChristiansUnite.com is available on the Internet at http://www.christiansunite.com/
Copyright © 2003 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 10:09:16 PM »

I think that more of our educators need such an education.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 04:14:28 AM »

I think that more of our educators need such an education.

Brother,

I actually think that there will be many wins before JESUS comes to take us home. AND, I think that time will be soon.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 10:4  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the