Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286814 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How a person knows that God is there. The proof.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How a person knows that God is there. The proof.  (Read 2794 times)
eyeball

metalic rabid canine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2003, 10:22:29 PM »

You must not have had any miracles in your life or you would know that many, many things that at one time seemed impossible have happened. Life was different thousands of years ago. The atmosphere was differet. There was less polution  and disease and people lived longer. There were HUGE dinosaurs for which, if archeologists hadn't found bones, people would find that unbelievable. Life itself is a miracle, in fact, such a miracle that scientists spend their lives trying to understand, not only how it works, but how it was created. They still change their minds every decade. Since I have opened my eyes and seen far beyond my narrow experiences in life, i find that anything's possible.  Many people believe in aliens and there has been less evidence that aliens exist than God exists.
Spoken like a true believer! I see now exactly what I'm dealing with. Logic fails here. I don't intend to be mean, Heidi, but you may as well have said that you'll believe anything.

Firstly, people are living much longer than anytime in history (excluding mythology), thanks to science.
Yes the atmosphere was different thousands of years ago, because of pollution nowadays. Billions of years ago it was different because bacteria hadn't yet freed up the oxygen we
now enjoy.

Many people believe in aliens because they want to believe in aliens. They have faith in aliens, but no proof.

As far a life being a miracle, I think your definition needs work. A miracle is something that can't normally happen.

Eyeball
someguy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2003, 10:23:46 PM »

Well Krazeekkc, you have finally solved one of mankinds most difficult questions, better get that published right away and let the theologians and philosophers know that they can now rest easy.  Unfortunately, the proof you speak of has a prerequisite of belief.  How are you going to prove his existence to non-believers?  Desire is something that should never lead to belief.  Besides, I would have to argue that this proof that you offer is just a psychological effect of your strong belief (seeing what you want to see basically).  These feelings of peace and joy and such would come from belief in a doctrine that urges you to give all of your problems to a perfect being that will take care of everything for you.
Also, the bible was written by imperfect, fallible minds between 40 and 72 years after jesus died.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2003, 06:20:30 AM »

I don't know what books you consider proof of anything. You must not believe any history books if you don't believe the bible. If you do believe history books then you have chosen to believe imperfect fallible minds in which case, why wouldn't you believe the bible?
On this basis, why would you believe the bible and not, say, the Illiad?

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2003, 10:37:11 PM »

Because there have been too many lives changed by the bible. Too many witnesses as to its veracity. Too many prophecies that have come true incuding the current state of the world.  In fact, NOTHING has been disproven in the bible. It's still the number one best seller in the world even after thousands of years. The three major religions of the world are based on the bible. Many laws are based on the bible and thousands of years ago, the bible was the law in the Middle East. It has been studied and dissected by more people than any other book ever written and still nothing in it has proven to be false.  I bleieve it has withstood the test of time. If it hasn't been proven to be false by now, it never will. The Iliad is read as prose but I believe that it's based on truth. But the Iliad is just a story and doesn't impact a person's salvation like the bible does so it's not as relevant to most people as the bible is.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the